• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena has already recouped development costs

bitbydeath

The Griers wouldn’t say exactly how many copies of Kena they’ve sold, but they said they’ve recouped the game’s initial costs and have been pleasantly surprised with sales so far. “It’s hard to tell what's a huge success,” said Josh. “Sony’s happy.”
Next Game:
Kena’s success has allowed Ember Lab to become a full-time game developer. They’re not yet sure what their next title will look like, but they know it’ll be a narrative-driven video game like Kena.

“We're not going back to commercials,” said Josh.

The Shepard

Fair play to them. I enjoyed it and look forward to there next game (wouldn't mind if it was a sequel) I just hope that it's physical day one this time.

Great Hair

Banned
Give them Jak and Daxter 4
Walrus Yes GIF
Youre So Smart Homer Simpson GIF by FOX TV

Last edited:

MrA

better middle ware and lots of overhead seem to have done wonders for making projects by smaller teams way more feasible.
so nice to get away from the xbox360/ps3 gen that seemed to leave piles of dead developers in its wake

TrebleShot

Awesome , Xbox only players will be in for a treat when they get to play this as it’s a brilliant experience. Hopefully comes to Gamepass so there’s a wider reach.

As for what’s next , I hope they take their time and carve out another smaller scale narrative driven gameplay experience that everyone can enjoy.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Congratulations to Ember Lab. Kena is a great freaking game!!

Gediminas

Banned
Awesome , Xbox only players will be in for a treat when they get to play this as it’s a brilliant experience. Hopefully comes to Gamepass so there’s a wider reach.

As for what’s next , I hope they take their time and carve out another smaller scale narrative driven gameplay experience that everyone can enjoy.
they already reach the widest, PS and PC, other than that, Sony funded the game and had marketing deal.

wOs

Well deserved. I really enjoyed my time with it. Final boss was annoying af. I hope they can build upon the ideas even more. Deeper skill tree and rot action tree would be nice.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Great game (except some sudden unfair difficulty spikes). Very reasonable pricing too. Bought it on epic games store.
Looking forward to their next one.

Exentryk

Great game and well deserved for the developer. Amazing result considering it's their first game.

Can't wait for their next one!

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Good for them, they probably made a nice pay day from this.
If ember lab got £20per game and they sold 500,000 thats £10 million.
And thats for a core team of 15 devs. Even with outsourcing and UE4 cost it is possible they got paid more the lawyers and surgeons.

wipeout364

The game seemed over hyped from the 2 hours I played but it’s an amazing level of quality for such a small studio. Glad to see them succeed and looking forward to their next game.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Glad to hear it, its an awesome game that harkons back to the height of ps2 action platformers. Its also sad as fuck. Like holy shit. Gorgeous as well, id love to see what they can do with a higher budget. Sony should scoop em up. Someone said jak and daxter? They would make a great jak game that stays true to the series art style

John Wick

Hopefully they can take feedback from the first game and improve the second one even further. A decent budget and more staff could produce an even better title.

Moses85

chinoXL

i love this game and as much as the boss difficulty spikes piss you off, feel good when you get the strategy down and then smack the boss. hope Sony does buy them so they can eat from that first party budget and really go hard on a new IP.

Top Bottom