• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenyon Martin criticizes Jeremy Lin's dreadlocks, Lin keeps it classy

Kite

JLin has already been hit with the cultural appropriation complaining when he had cornrows a while back. Anyhow I don't think dreads look that great on him, I prefer mohawk and samurai topknot Lin.

lin-3x2.jpg

27-encounter-jeremy-lin.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.2x.jpg

My cousin was watching one of those React™ videos on YouTube and in the video I saw some young white dude from LA wearing a dashiki. That seemed like a bad case of cultural appropriation to me.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Does Kenyon Martin own the deadlock hairstyle?

He needs to shut the fuck up.

If anything Martins comment is really cringe worthy if not racist:

“Do I need to remind this damn boy his last name Lin?” Martin said with a sarcastic face and tone. “Like, come on, man. Let’s stop it with these people. There is no way possible he would’ve made it on one of our teams with that bullshit on his head. Come on man, somebody need to tell him, like, ‘alright bro, we get it. You wanna be black.’ Like, we get it. But your last name is Lin.’”

choodi

Banned
I can't believe we live in an age where the cultural appropriation tag is attached to a fucking hairstyle, particularly one that has been common to many cultures around the world and is essentially a fucking fashion statement these days.

Cultural appropriation is a real problem in the world for many indigenous and minority cultures. This is just crying wolf and devalues the argument when there is real cultural appropriation going on.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Anecdotal alert:

Asian american, born and raised in Chicago. I have the same last name as Jeremy Lin; hated him and rooted for Derrick Rose to tear him up in the overrated Linsanity days. Really very far removed from any ethnic culture, don't speak anything but English.

I really enjoy the wutang clan. It did give me something to identify with. I like RZA's martial arts movies. Why does that kind of expression innately belong to me more than him?

Man I'd sure love to meet RZA someday and geek out on martial arts movies.

Kenstar

This basic bitch 'asian saying you can't actually read' tattoo havin ass is talkin shit? While being one 'Live Laugh Love' FB post away from being able to use his own sweat as an antacid?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Spot on. Jerk chicken and Jamaican beef patties are cheap carribean ethnic foods not worth civilized people's time of day but you can bet your ass as soon as a white chef puts their "take" on it it's a trendy cool thing.

It's gross.

So is the issue that people pay attention to the tastes of white chefs too much?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Those look like braids to me. Which I am 99% sure Asians have been wearing for centuries. Maybe someone who knows more about hair styles can weigh in.

Those look like braids to me. Which I am 99% sure Asians have been wearing for centuries. Maybe someone who knows more about hair styles can weigh in.

Had braids. Has dreads. I think he kinda braids them?
screen-shot-2017-10-04-at-1-53-21-am.png

And: Cultural appropriation is a thing, dreaded hair doesn't qualify in my opinion.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
If anything Martins comment is really cringe worthy if not racist:

“Do I need to remind this damn boy his last name Lin?” Martin said with a sarcastic face and tone. “Like, come on, man. Let’s stop it with these people. There is no way possible he would’ve made it on one of our teams with that bullshit on his head. Come on man, somebody need to tell him, like, ‘alright bro, we get it. You wanna be black.’ Like, we get it. But your last name is Lin.’”

I’d call it both racist and cringe worthy. Having dreadlocks doesn’t mean they are trying to be anything other than themselves. Martin is a racist idiot.

Lin can pass for Chinese Jamaican now.

On topic, anyone notice how Jamaican Beef Patties have been appropriated? They are all over NYC pizzerias and delis and just labeled "Beef Patty".

charsace

I didn't think this would be an issue. Caribbean has a lot of Asians so an Asian person with dreads doesn't seem weird to me.

iPaul93

"Over half of surviving Ancient Greek kouros sculptures (from c. 615 – 485 BC) are found wearing dreadlocks."

Young boxers with long dreadlocks depicted on a fresco from Akrotiri (modern Santorini, Greece) 1600–1500 BCE.

I don't understand why some african people seem to think they invented dreads.

So is the issue that people pay attention to the tastes of white chefs too much?

That's too reductive. the problem is that people aren't willing to dignify and engage with another culture on its own terms until it's been "white approved" by somebody.

While the hip and trendy restaurant can charge obscene prices for an inferior product, the shabby stand is still struggling to make ends meet. That's the injustice.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
The idea of Lin's hairstyle being "wrong" is incredibly stupid. Anyone can wear any hair style or clothing, or whatever, they want, in my opinion.

As long as its not degrading toward X group, then there's no issue.

I'm white but this is how I see it, as long as you respect where it came from and sent trying to mock people, wear what you think represents you

I mean, seeing as Lin's entire PT article is literally saying "I asked black women and men was this appropriation and they all said 'if you ain't doin it to make fun of or hurt then no', there ain't an issue
He doesn't need to ask anybody.

His response is absolutely brilliant though. Kmart being shown what a dumbass he is, in case there is someone that follows the NBA doesn't know about it. This is the second best ether after KD's alts outing himself.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
That's too reductive. the problem is that people aren't willing to dignify and engage with another culture on its own terms until it's been "white approved" by somebody.

While the hip and trendy restaurant can charge obscene prices for an inferior product, the shabby stand is still struggling to make ends meet. That's the injustice.

If the "trendy" places are just repackaging the same food as the stall places without offering anything else, it's messed up and the patrons are dumb.

If the "trendy" places are altering other ethnicity's cuisine in a way that makes their audience find it more palatable/attractive, that's just smart and literally every other culture does that.

Fuchsdh

Who decides what is "inferior" food? What makes "authentic" cuisine better, and how do you define "authentic" when I'm familiar with no ethnic cuisine that doesn't have outside influences stretching back at the very least hundreds of years at this point?

Racism is a problem. People devaluing others because of their heritage is a problem. But cultural appropriation just turns into hipster gatekeeping nonsense of lamenting how much better stuff was before it got "cool".

Top Bottom