• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kenyon Martin criticizes Jeremy Lin's dreadlocks, Lin keeps it classy

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Given she has a history of tone deaf moments along the same lines, surely you can see how it's hard to take that in good faith?

Isn't there another way to "honor" Japan than to dress up as a geisha? Is that seen as a sign of respect? I don't know where Tyrese was travelling, and even if I did I don't know how that would be received among the people there. Would it be received as a sign of respect or thoughtfulness?
Honestly, no one in the Middle East would care. We can’t. During Hajj, over 4 million people descend on Mecca and Medina from all over the world, and many of them would dress the same way Tyrese did. Go to any mosque in the west, and you’ll see men of all different ethnicities dress similar. The keffiyeh (head cover) has become a fashion piece that even non Muslims/Arabs wear now, primarily as scarves.

The only thing we have left is insuring our foods are still recognised as ours. *looking at you Turkey and Greece*

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't care that he's wearing it (I would never call it cultural appropriation, and it's too late to get pissy about non Arabs wearing Arab clothing due to Islam and how Muslims from all around the world have adopted them), I just want to know what the difference is? Is it because Katy was performing in one? Well Busta Rhymes made an entire song and music video about ”Arab money" and dressed in Arabic clothing.

I think neither are cultural appropriation is what I'm saying, so I just want clarification why similar things are called out differently. The Elvis taking and profiting from black musicians when they themselves couldn't do the same, is clear cut cultural appropriation to me.

They are both examples of cultural appropriation. But cultural appropriation itself is a neutral concept and is not inherently negative. What makes it negative is intent and history. I doubt Katy Perry had any intent to insult Japanese people, but frankly, white people have a pretty long history of distilling minorities to their stereotypes for profit and entertainment all while stomping on their rights so it's harder for them to get a pass on these kind of things now. Lindsay Elllis covered this well in her Pocahontas video essay.

Apt101

I never got the apparent drama over people who are not black having dreadlocks. It being a thing with some black people is recent, whereas it's been a thing elsewhere since like the fucking bronze age. Maybe earlier.

I never got the apparent drama over people who are not black having dreadlocks. It being a thing with some black people is recent, whereas it's been a thing elsewhere since like the fucking bronze age. Maybe earlier.

At least with white people, the ven diagram of people with dreads and people with dreads who are also heavily appropriating some other aspect of a largely black culture is pretty much one perfect circle.

Can't be any earlier than Shiva

image.jpg

LionPride

Banned
At least with white people, the ven diagram of people with dreads and people heavily appropriating some other aspect of a largely black culture is pretty much one perfect circle.

Also the fact I have yet to see one white person with dreads that don't look dusty as fuck

but that's neither here nor there

I'm with Lin on this one, Kenyon looking like an ass with those tats.

The issue is not that people appropriating each others culture is necessarily a bad thing, the issue is when something that was previously looked down upon is only reinvented & vogue when someone outside of that culture decides to rock it.

Feel what you want about cultural appropriation but that double standard exists and is annoying as all hell.

Spot on. Jerk chicken and Jamaican beef patties are cheap carribean ethnic foods not worth civilized people's time of day but you can bet your ass as soon as a white chef puts their "take" on it it's a trendy cool thing.

It's gross.

Honestly, I don't understand most complaints of cultural appropriation. They seem more stemmed from a position of disliking the person than them doing anything wrong necessarily. I think it's because a lot of them miss the...exploitative aspect or the ignoring/hiding/misrepresenting of the original culture.

So Lin having dreads of Katy Perry with a kimono don't strike me as examples that fall into those buckets. When I think of it, I think of Chanel calling durags "urban tie caps", or when SheaMoisture had an ad campaign promoting natural hair and proceeded to use a bunch of white models with curly hair, or when designers use styles clearly inspired by certain cultures and don't bother to even have any models from those cultures wear them, or people wearing Native American attire as "costumes", ignoring the fact it was actually their traditional clothing, or chefs creating other cultures food, putting a weird spin on it, and trying to pass it as their own

Lin is okay in my book, always seemed like a very decent dude to me and he came at the whole thing in a thoughtful way.

A couple of the comments on Martin's "just a joke" response post have got me lmao...

That wasn’t a joke ! You are the joke ! Grown ass and still a clown ass . Bigot ass . Salty ass has been . Has been Martin

Slayven

Spot on. Jerk chicken and Jamaican beef patties are cheap carribean ethnic foods not worth civilized people's time of day but you can bet your ass as soon as a white chef puts their "take" on it it's a trendy cool thing.

It's gross.

Excuse me it is pronunced "Foe"

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I’ve said it here many times... The problem with “cultural appropriation” is that it can be bad but it’s not an inherently bad thing. The way people use it is a pretty clear sign post for anyone who cares about social issues vs pretends to care about social issues.

Honestly, I don't understand most complaints of cultural appropriation. They seem more stemmed from a position of disliking the person than them doing anything wrong necessarily. I think it's because a lot of them miss the...exploitative aspect or the ignoring/hiding/misrepresenting of the original culture.

So Lin having dreads of Katy Perry with a kimono don't strike me as examples that fall into those buckets. When I think of it, I think of Chanel calling durags "urban tie caps", or when SheaMoisture had an ad campaign promoting natural hair and proceeded to use a bunch of white models with curly hair, or when designers use styles clearly inspired by certain cultures and don't bother to even have any models from those cultures wear them, or people wearing Native American attire as "costumes", ignoring the fact it was actually their traditional clothing, or chefs creating other cultures food, putting a weird spin on it, and trying to pass it as their own

The people who'd find Jeremy Lin's hair offensive even after reading his article have pretty extreme views and probably aren't really worth listening to.

The examples you listed with Chanel and Shea butter is exactly what's wrong with cultural appropriation. It's taking ownership without actually having engaged with it.

SiteSeer

the gnarliest dreads i’ve ever seen was on a chinese guy when i visited there in ‘07. was taking a tour through the country side and we were stopped, i looked out the window and this old guy will huge long aged dreads was just hanging out on the side of the road. i did a double take but before i could get a long look we started up again. that memory remains to this day, it was so unusual.

Owari

I think it’s pretty dumb white people and other races aren’t allowed to have a particular hairstyle. Everyone had dreads before showers were invented. You aren’t racist because you prefer how a certain style looks. You’re racist if you do racist actions and think racist things.

Takuan

the gnarliest dreads i’ve ever seen was on a chinese guy when i visited there in ‘07. was taking a tour through the country side and we were stopped, i looked out the window and this old guy will huge long aged dreads was just hanging out on the side of the road. i did a double take but before i could get a long look we started up again. that memory remains to this day, it was so unusual.

He might've been Chinese-Jamaican.

Which, I suppose, Kenyon's never heard of.

Apt101

At least with white people, the ven diagram of people with dreads and people with dreads who are also heavily appropriating some other aspect of a largely black culture is pretty much one perfect circle.

Yea that's a weird topic in and of itself. I understand why it's touchy. But people need to understand that culture is larger than any one race, especially in the melting pot we find ourselves in.

If a white guy loves hip hop and dreads why shouldn't he be able to rock them?

Cultural appropriation remains among the most historical ignorant theories to come out of academia.

Almost every major cultural artifact is appropriated in some sense, from Tea to Numerical systems.

Cultural appropriation isn't normative, it's a descriptive statement.

And historically the symbolism of dreadlocks had to do with withdrawing from society and not engaging in vanity. What Shiva and John the Baptist have in common is that they're weirdo renunciates relative to civilized sensibilities. Obviously the situation now is different due to the influence of black culture, and no one really wants gross caveman dreads, but I think it can still be kind of a grey area.

Fuck KMart for this. Really. Hypocritical ass.

I've always liked Lin as a player, because he plays with heart and he always seems to give the game his all. Now, I like him as a person. His uncertainty is relate-able and endearing. And I absolutely agree that, if nothing else, minorities need to stick together, elevate each other and have positive discourse on subjects such as cultural appropriation.

I may be biased, as I've loved Asian culture since I can remember and I borrow some of their ideals for my own personal life; I see nothing wrong with him using a "traditionally" black hairstyle, because I put my son's hair into a topknot. These things aren't done out of irony or to patronize, its done out of love and respect.

If we can't enjoy each other's cultures, if we just keep self-segregating and isolating, we'll never obtain peace, for ourselves or our communities. Keep rocking them dreads, Lin, and be proud of them. They look fabulous.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Who gives a shit.... enjoy the dreads and Kenyon needs to stop. Lin isn't doing anything wrong. I don't care at least.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a real thing. But it's not as common as folks make it seem. Shit like taking a other cultures music, ignoring where it came from (ie not giving that culture any acknowledgment) and profiting from it.

*Cough* Greek and Roman Mythology *Cough*.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I can’t tell if the poster part was sincere or part of the shade. Lol

Among the things that makes it such an excellent response.

Did they even make Kenyon Martin posters after college?

Yeah he had a dunk of the month poster in an issue of Slam back in the day. Don't ask me how I know this.

As for cultural appropriation, the issue with appropriation has always been not giving proper respect or citing the source. The difference here is that Lin actually approached it in a way that pays homage to the source. It's fine to borrow from other cultures and build upon it but you gotta approach it with respect for not only the thing one is borrowing but also the people that created it.

Cultural appropriation is really problematic in a lot of different ways but I have to admit I never understood how it applies to dreadlocks in particular. Isn't there tons of evidence of them being very common among tons of cultures simply because it was a very practical and often ritualistic way to signify certain things?

I'm almost a hundred percent sure that multiple Asian cultures used them waaaaay back, especially Hindus and the Philippines

But I might be outta my depth here and if so I apologize.

Coen

Great to see Lin turning out okay after having the wrong poster on his wall. Gives me hope for the future.

It honestly sounds like Lin did his due diligence. The issue with cultural appropriation is not preventing others from never using aspects of your culture, it's about having an informed idea and understanding of where those parts of the culture come from. Lin sounds like he has thought a great deal about the matter and has respect for where the style comes from.

Plus, that's the best of comebacks:

This was Lin's response to Martin:

O8eLHuKl.jpg

sPStEjc.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Dynomutt

Everything he said is so true. Especially the whole minorities need to take each other's side thing, and if they did big changes would happen.

Agreed. When people think of Immigration they only think of Mexicans. In turn even minorities only think of their designated cultural groups when discussing immigration. If Haitians, Asians, Africans, Mexicans, and Latino's all bought in one could argue that immigration reform would be much further along.

I will have to say I disagree with the cultural appropriation a bit. Seeing white folks buy Haitian Art for pennies on the dollar and selling it for hundreds in Miami and New York is just foul. They didn't love Basquiat until he died and could rape his art.

Top Bottom