• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HyperZone<3 said:
DQX has gotta be far off. Like late 2010 the earliest. I can't imagine Square Enix putting out consecutive installments even relatively close to each other.

And if DQX really does come out in 2010/11, well, I feel better about WiiHD's backwards compatible status.

(just had a crazy thought)
what if DQX WAS for WiiHD? That would be the killingest launch title of all time!
The past few iterations of DQ have been at least 4 years apart. DQ6 (1995) -> DQ7 (2000) -> DQ8 (2004) -> DQ9 (2009) -> DQX in 2013? I would suspect Horii has either been working on it for some time now or this one will be put out sooner. But I'm not entirely sure if DQ8 began development right after DQ7 (which was sort of troubled in its own way...)

Jirotrom

Jigsaw said:
you are right,whos needs next gen celshading :eek:

tales-of-symphonia600415200801081355426big.jpg

1173837619.jpg
whenever did I say they looked better on the wii, I said they look fine... bitter tears much:lol trust me I love great graphics but I seriously just dont care too much. to top it off the first pic isn't cel-shaded.

Regulus Tera said:
First pic is not cel-shading. =/

No but the second confirms how ungodly beautiful it could be on 360/PS3 with a SE team behind it. It'll look fine, but you'd be nuts to think it couldn't look better.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MvmntInGrn said:
Cmon now there is not hurt in hoping for an HD version. It'll look fine in SD and if they keep it simple and use what little more power they have correctly it should be ok in HD.

Why they decided to go exclusive is what is more interesting. I'd go as far as to say a port is likely at some point if waggle isn't a huge part of the gameplay. More platforms = more money and it shouldn't be a hard port.

Because to upscale the Wii version assets to PS360 ones would be like making a complete new game from the ground. It doesn't work like that. Plus, PS3 and 360 are non-existent in Japan, where DQ has the majority of sales. Why would they make a version for those systems? It's probably not cost-worthy.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MvmntInGrn said:
Cmon now there is not hurt in hoping for an HD version. It'll look fine in SD and if they keep it simple and use what little more power they have correctly it should be ok in HD.

Why they decided to go exclusive is what is more interesting. I'd go as far as to say a port is likely at some point if waggle isn't a huge part of the gameplay. More platforms = more money and it shouldn't be a hard port.

Well why didn't they port DQ8 from the PS2? Surely they could have pinched off a few more dollars with Cube and Xbox versions.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Most likely: Because by 2011/2012 the DS will be a dead system as the DS2 will be out. Wii just started so it's got another 3-4 years in it no problem.
Remember when DQVII came out for PS1, coincidentally the most successful DQ to date?

bdouble

Jigsaw said:
you are right,whos needs next gen celshading :eek:

No one needs it. I mean you might want it or prefer it. Other people don't mind. Me personally? The best looking Tales game I have seen this generation is ToH. Looks better than anything on the consoles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Jonnyram said:
Real talk. I wonder why they decided to move from DS to Wii, given the anticipation for IX and the huge userbase difference?

Possible ideas:
- not satisfied with the quality of the game they put on DS (held back by hardware limitations)
- not enough profit margins when considering DS cart cost, even if the sales are double
- money hats

Oh and Wada basically said the game (DQIX) is done now and he's relieved it's over. So we just have to wait three months for cart production :/

I don't know about money hats, but I have a feeling Iwata tried hard to get it on Wii- DS doesn't need it anymore.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
I got banned for that ... by people that didn't want to hear it.

You got banned for reposting the charts in multiple threads and promoting your topic again and again.

Edit:
Not worth it, again.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Y2Kev said:
The past few iterations of DQ have been at least 4 years apart. DQ6 (1995) -> DQ7 (2000) -> DQ8 (2004) -> DQ9 (2009) -> DQX in 2013? I would suspect Horii has either been working on it for some time now or this one will be put out sooner. But I'm not entirely sure if DQ8 began development right after DQ7 (which was sort of troubled in its own way...)

Remember that Nintendo has a studio made of ex-DQ developers, which developed DQ swords... It could be them working on the game with the DQ8 engine...

donny2112 said:
Edit: Oh, you're talking about Link. :lol

Japanese developers have been much smarter this generation when it comes to recognizing, and planning to take advantage of, the Wii's dominance. Western pubs, for all their technical know-how, are seriously lacking much in the way of business sense.

So selling multi-millions and trying to get money back after investing multi-tens of millions on making the jump to next generation tech is "lacking of business sense"?

There is a reason why these games are announcing so close to one another (look at this year with all the A and AA budget games and over the some months of this, CvT, and Tales of). Games take a while to make. When they say it takes 2-4 years to make a AAA game they mean 2-4 years. These games have probably been in development for almost a year now and still have some time to come out. This is why I kept stating "wait" until the bigger games are announced. That saying if I didn't see the progress the Wii has gotten in the past 6 months I would have truly believed that 3rd party support was never going to happen.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Remember when DQVII came out for PS1, coincidentally the most successful DQ to date?

Handhelds die much faster when replaced. Remember how fast DS fat died? How fast DS Lite is dying now that the DSi is out?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
MvmntInGrn said:
No but the second confirms how ungodly beautiful it could be on 360/PS3 with a SE team behind it. It'll look fine, but you'd be nuts to think it couldn't look better.

I'm not trying to contend that, but his (her?) intention was to demonstrate that the Wii version would look like shit.

Y'know what? Fuck it, I'm just gonna sit back an chill out. :lol

Fredescu

PantherLotus said:
Is now a bad time to point out that whole PantherLotus "the Wii will get huge Japanese Exclusives, but not Western" thing?

I got banned for that shit by people that didn't want to hear it. Too soon?
The point was already made a few times.

Jirotrom

Night_Trekker said:
Yeah, it's one of the best-looking PS2 games by far.

Here's hoping they orchestrate the soundtrack again.
I don't think you need to worry about that, this is Squeenix not Nintendo, and I believe the DS DQIV has some live orchestra.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
manueldelalas said:
Remember that Nintendo has a studio made of ex-DQ developers, which developed DQ swords... It could be them working on the game with the DQ8 engine...
I don't really think that DQ games take a long time because of the engine work. I think they take a long time because the people that make them make them as great as they can before they put them out.

And I imagine Level 5 will still be involved.

Regulus Tera said:
I'm not trying to contend that, but his (her?) intention was to demonstrate that the Wii version would look like shit.

Y'know what? Fuck it, I'm just gonna sit back an chill out. :lol

:lol That works too.
Where did all the Wii owners come from? Its like they come in and out of hiding. :D

I wonder if DQX for Wii is more, less or equally as monumental and important as Final Fantasy VII on PS1 (over N64)?

Edit: Also those Slime DSi is so HOT!

donny2112 said:
Not anymore. If they're going to remake it, Enix is too smart to pass up putting it on the Wii to prepare the way for DQX. I don't think DQVIII will get remade, yet, since it's only a generation behind, though.
Not a remake, but a port (with faster battles) would be nice.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Rpgmonkey said:
WHAT IS GOING ON!?

I got hyped... :(

Jonnyram said:
Oh come on, there's totally no news coming.
Typical GAF excitement about nothing.

...eight minutes later...

cvxfreak said:
HOLY FUCKING CRAP

jj984jj said:
MEGATON! :O

Shadowlink123 said:
Wait are you guys serious about DQ 10 on wii, OH FUCK YEA!!!

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Oh snap.

Enix delivers!

Megaton.

:lol

Typical megaton thread. You people never learn to save your disappointment for when it's over do you?

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
Handhelds die much faster when replaced. Remember how fast DS fat died? How fast DS Lite is dying now that the DSi is out?
They are essentially the same machine though. I expect DS to be around longer than Wii, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom