• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KFC aims to improve chicken sandwich taste by changing preparation procedures

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.sfgate.com/news/us/article/KFC-changing-chicken-sandwich-prep-aiming-to-11081329.php

NEW YORK (AP) — KFC is aiming to take a bigger bite out of the chicken sandwich market by changing how it prepares them.

The chain says it is hoping to improve the taste and is switching from filets that were breaded and frozen offsite before being shipped to the stores in favor of filets breaded at the stores. That's similar to how rivals Chick-fil-A and Popeye's already prepare their chicken.

For Louisville, Kentucky-based KFC, the switch is part of a push to revive business and court younger customers. The efforts have included TV ads starring celebrities as founder Colonel Sanders.

A key step is gaining a bigger share of the chicken sandwich market, which KFC says accounts for 40 percent of the fast-food industry's chicken category. KFC says it's not looking to take business from other fried chicken chains and is instead targeting burger chains that use filets that are breaded offsite and shipped to stores frozen. KFC says it removed sandwiches using similar filets from its menu earlier this year.

"Frankly, it is not the kind of fried chicken sandwich we should be serving as the fried chicken experts," says Kevin Hochman, president of KFC in the United States, which is owned by Yum Brands.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Chicken sandwich? Are they talking about the chicken littles?

Not sure if I like this idea. The KFC formula is perfect as it is.

Popeyes is the best but I actually prefer a Big Crunch from KFC over the Popeyes chicken sandwich. It's just about the only thing I like more in comparison.

Will probably still never go.

What they need to do is stopped getting shitty pieces of chicken. I feel like I sometimes get 50:50 meat:skin/breading. It's ridiculous. Same with Popeyes. I don't know why they keep using emaciated chickens

studyguy

What they need to do is stopped getting shitty pieces of chicken. I feel like I sometimes get 50:50 meat:skin/breading. It's ridiculous. Same with Popeyes. I don't know why they keep using emaciated chickens

Right, I feel like this is a big issue in and of itself. The quality of the cuts of chicken itself just sort of sucks.

RedStep

How to Improve Your Chicken Sandwich Business Ten-Fold™
by The Entire Public

Step 1: Bring back the Zinger sandwich

Edit: Whaaaaaaat? They're bringing it back? Doesn't look exactly the same, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, KFC. Don't make me regret it.

Robin64

That's how they do it over here in the UK already. The chicken is freshly coated in-store and cooked there. The exception is the Zinger style chicken, which is prepared elsewhere then shipped to stores.

Maybe that's why here in Europe people seem to like KFC but all I hear from Americans is how bad it is.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
They have a full size chicken sandwich, and it tastes like shit.

Hopefully this helps.

Are you talking about this?

dj-kfc-blogSpan.jpg

Never tried it myself.

Ogodei

I worked there in 2008 and i swear i remember them breading any chicken on-site, though the fry cooks never really did any prep beyond fryer operation so i don't know if there were some frozen pieces that i never saw.

antonz

Double Down was the only thing they had worth a damn. Was a bitch to order though because they never had any of the ingredients in a nearly ready state. So order a Double down and then wait 10-15 minutes.

Isotropy

KFC was superior in every way when I was in Europe. What do they do different?

That's interesting.

I'm from Australia, and I like KFC, and I thought it was trash in Europe. Exactly how bad is it in the US then? Do they offer fundamentally different food in different markets?

That's interesting.

I'm from Australia, and I like KFC, and I thought it was trash in Europe. Exactly how bad is it in the US then? Do they offer fundamentally different food in different markets?

I live in the US but travel to New Zealand. Half of it is prep, I've noticed NZ KFCs are a little less greasy, but a large part of it is the quality of the chicken itself. US KFC gets really cheap quality chicken loaded up with hormones and crap and the NZ supply is much fresher with more natural, hormone-free chickens. It really is a huge difference.

Pein

Banned
Just had it, its like a better version of the spicy chicken sandwich from wendys. Nice amount of heat and a good amount of crunch when you take a bite. It needs tomato though.

Yukinari

I read the title as just chicken taste in general.

Their menu has been weak for years and Popeyes is where its at. Or Bojangles. Or fucking anything else.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
KFC was superior in every way when I was in Europe. What do they do different?

Probably better chicken. KFCs spice is actually good. I remember eating at KFCs in Kentucky as a kid with large, juicy chicken breasts, and today you get a third the meat.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
That's interesting.

KFC used to be a sit down restaurant with partial waiting service with decent quality food. Over time in the US it has become a chain where you can pickup buckets of chicken for cheap so quality has dropped.

score01

by The Entire Public

Edit: Whaaaaaaat? They're bringing it back? Doesn't look exactly the same, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, KFC. Don't make me regret it.

We have the zinger here in the uk and its amazeballs.

by The Entire Public

?

I had a Zinger on Thursday.

thefro

That's probably a good strategy. There's a lot of areas that don't have a Chick-Fil-A or Popeye's where people would buy a higher-quality sandwich at KFC over McD's/Wendy's.

Rell

Do they still serve the bbq snacker? Because those were damn good.

They have zero snackers anymore.

My favorite was the buffalo snacker, seriously fantastic.

I knew a guy who worked at KFC during the snackers era and was saying the staff hated the snackers. They were extremely popular and took some of the longest prep work on the menu. And the fact that they were small and cheap meant that people ordered like four of them.

I worked there in 2008 and i swear i remember them breading any chicken on-site, though the fry cooks never really did any prep beyond fryer operation so i don't know if there were some frozen pieces that i never saw.
I bet you that the sandwich patties and the piece by piece fried chicken is done seperately. Used to work athat a grocery store where I fried chicken regularly, and we breaded all the piece by piece chicken on site, but chicken sandwich patties came pre-breaded and frozen.

Accoun

We have the zinger here in the uk and its amazeballs.

Apparently the US has no Twisters in their base menu and those are basically the only thing I eat at KFC (or actually fast foods in general). It's... strange to hear.

And since we're at least partially shitting on KFC in this thread, pretty sure the Twister has gotten smaller since the last time I ate it. Disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom