• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KH3: Sephiroth boss return still being deliberated, devs fear it might be redundant

sn00zer

I don't think it matters if we fight Sephiroth, I would prefer if we didn't. HOWEVER I need a secret boss that is like Sephiroth and just fucking destroys me the first time I fight them

_Nemo

I don't care what outer shell the boss takes on, be it Kefka/Seph/Ulti. Just give them an awesome moveset like Lingering Will that makes the fight challenging.

sappyday

Umm if I remember correctly they didn't really finish the Cloud/Sephiroth subplot from the second game. In that case Sephiroth should definitely be in and Cloud should help you fight him this time.

sn00zer

Gilgamesh with Disney, Marvel, and Star Wars weapons

Just use Darth Vader as the scary superboss this time. Let Sephiroth skip a game.
I feel like this would work really well if there were no Star Wars references up to that point.

Turin

Banned
Umm if I remember correctly they didn't really finish the Cloud/Sephiroth subplot from the second game. In that case Sephiroth should definitely be in and Cloud should help you fight him this time.

They could find different ways of resolving the story.

traveler

Not Wario
Darth Vader as the secret boss would be, uh, something. He doesn't really fit the super agile, flashy style of KH so I don't know they'd make him challenging without looking incredibly dumb. This is the one place where the prequel style Jedi fights might actually be better. Yoda vs Mickey?

Darth Vader as the secret boss would be, uh, something. He doesn't really fit the super agile, flashy style of KH so I don't know they'd make him challenging without looking incredibly dumb. This is the one place where the prequel style Jedi fights might actually be better. Yoda vs Mickey?

Maul?

Razmos

Ultimecia would be an amazing villain and boss fight, especially using something similar to her dissidia moveset.

That fight would be crazy on the reaction commands

Sou Da

Just look at force unleashed I guess.

It's like a tradition to have him in the main games, especially with that subplot in KH2, so I'm hoping for his inclusion in the game. I would love to see what they do if they do decide to add Sephiroth like what new moves will he have and what his design would look like.

NoKisum

This is a no-win situation.

If Sephiroth is included, fans will be like, "Ugh, Nomura got lazy and copy pasted the boss from the last game."

If Sephiroth is omitted, fans will be like, "Ugh, can't believe Nomura took out the best character in the game."

Poppy

they could just make him like a mmo raid boss and have there be a lot of aoe shit flying around and environmental damage/attacks to keep you on your toes despite vader not being a very agile guy, and of course his power in straight up combat would be like, get hit and die

theres a lot you can do with force pushes and pulls

It's tradition at this point so I don't think many people will find it redundant. If they want to make it a different boss that would be cool too. Just keep Lightning as far away as possible
of course they won't

Piers

Sepiroth was beaten by somebodies mum. That's it for him. There's no coming back from that.
+yes yes yes Darth Vader

Just because it's a numbered entry does not mean it's "tradition", get that insular fanboy mindset out of there.

Malyse

read the comics.

Vader is fast and hits like a tank.

traveler

Not Wario
read the comics.

Vader is fast and hits like a tank.

If I'm going off any depiction of Vader- and I doubt I'm alone in this- it's the movies, and in the movies, Vader is a decrepit old invalid who gets by on sheer terror and telekinetic chokes. Even knowing some lore definition other than that isn't going to make seeing a speedy Vader less jarring, given the main animated reference point.

I actually thought the Rogue One scene was kind of unintentionally hilarious, and at least he wasn't super mobile in that.

Malyse

I mean... don't they have to resolve Cloud's story arc?

Cloud has a whole game.
Most people don't read the comics, so giving Vader a moveset based on those everyone would complain about the game misrepresentating Vader.

If I'm going off any depiction of Vader- and I doubt I'm alone in this- it's the movies, and in the movies, Vader is a decrepit old invalid who gets by on sheer terror and telekinetic chokes. Even knowing some lore definition other than that isn't going to make seeing a speedy Vader less jarring, given the main animated reference point.

I actually thought the Rogue One scene was kind of unintentionally hilarious, and at least he wasn't super mobile in that.

No one will complain if it's fun

McNum

That would actually be the entire point of using him. In all the flashy, speedy combat, you put in Darth Vader who is the antithesis to that. He is measured. In control. And you give him a moveset to control the battlefield. Let him shut Sora down if he tries being flashy. Attack from afar with magic? It's reflected. Jump at him with some flashy move? Grabbed with the Force and tossed aside. The only way to win is to play how he wants. In melee. On the ground. And your parry game had better be on point because against the Dark Lord of the Sith... it's all you have.

Of course, after you hit that first combo, he'll do his "Impressive. Most impressive." line and get serious. Congrats, you made Darth Vader take you seriously! Oh, right. That's probably bad. I'd imagine his style would more or less be one of constant melee pressure. Just a straight up swordfight. Vader doesn't do fancy. Naturally, if you run, he'll throw the lightsaber for a one-hit KO.

It's telling that when he fought Ahsoka in Star Wars Rebels, he took control of the fight and forced her to fight his fight, instead of the more acrobatic way she usually fights. I'd take most of his moveset from that fight, to be honest.

mortal

I agree, having Sephiroth in again would be redundant. This isn't FFVII, it's Kingdom Hearts.

I'm open to seeing another character become the hard-as-nails secret boss. Gilgamesh is a solid choice, being that he's already a dimension/universe hopping warrior.

The Sephiroth fight got old really fast when KH2 was a thing, so can Nomura et al just choose someone else? I'm sick of the same old FF characters getting air time when there are so many other good characters that should be in the limelight.

Zomba13

Nah. Final round with Sephiroth, this time Cloud is there too, close out the whole stuff with them, let Tifa be there too and close out the whole FFVII characters thing.

And just because Sephiroth is there doesn't mean there can't be more secret bosses.

Sephiroth, Vader, and Thanos for secret bosses.

u0DWKkE.jpg

This guy as the ultimate, secret boss.

Ladekabel

I wonder if Square will remember that the Final Fantasy series didn't start with VII and that they have other villains besides Sephiroth.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I wonder if Square will remember that the Final Fantasy series didn't start with VII and that they have other villains besides Sephiroth.

They'll remember that as soon as they forget that FF7 is by far their most popular and recognizable game in the FF series

Seriously, nobody wants Bartandelus, kefka, Seymour or any of the other rubes as a boss battle

i wonder if people will remember that ff7 is one of the most iconic games, let alone RPGs, ever made so people are more excited for representation from it

Whoever the superboss is (and there WILL be a Superboss Nomura. Alright? There will be one.) they have to make sure to have an iconic theme. Like it or lump it, the moment One Winged Angel started playing, you knew you were in for a ride.

Unless you were underlevelled and failed the first reaction command.

Ladekabel

They'll remember that as soon as they forget that FF7 is by far their most popular and recognizable game in the FF series

Seriously, nobody wants Bartandelus, kefka, Seymour or any of the other rubes as a boss battle

No one should want Barthandalus or Seymour. People should want Wiegraf! Now I want an Ivalice world.

i wonder if people will remember that ff7 is one of the most iconic games, let alone RPGs, ever made so people are more excited for representation from it

There were other characters from FFVII in Kingdom Hearts. It's not like the game is underrepresented.

Top Bottom