• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Star Wars Open World RPG

The fact that Kickstarter even let this on their site is cringe worthy as fuck. Maybe I'll see if I can get KOTOR 3 on there. Should be easy as shit.

adj_noun

So do we have any concept art of Obi Juan Kenobi yet?

ebwfYRR.jpg

Maddrical

This is actually hilarious, I thought it was maybe a 14 year old kid but nope his profile says 20. It has to be a joke, surely.

mrpeabody

"A 1995/2005 game that could be created in a month or two"

I am hoping so hard this guy is for real.

edit: "obi jim Kenobi"

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Wow this sounds exciting. My only disappointment is that this is on Kickstarter and not FIG. Would love to see it move over there so I can invest in this hot property.

Senhua

No video, no artwork, nothing at all.
I hope this is a new year joke (easiest way to get 200 grand).

The only way a decent game could be developed with less than 200K is if a studio is working almost for free and plans to share the revenue among the devs who made the game. The days when a team of 5 people could make a successful game are long gone due to the inherent complexity of modern games.
Lol, not true at all. A full-fledged ambitious RPG sure, not gong to happen with 5 people and 200k

Risk of Rain? Dust? Braid? Fez? FTL? Or upcoming stuff like Rain World with its innovative AI and animations?

Great games from less than 5 people come out all the time

No copy rights. What could go wrong?

It's a Star Wars "like" RPG though. This dude is way too smart for Disney's legal team.

Lol, not true at all. A full-fledged ambitious RPG sure, not gong to happen with 5 people and 200k

Risk of Rain? Dust? Braid? Fez? FTL? Or upcoming stuff like Rain World with its innovative AI and animations?

Great games from less than 5 people come out all the time

I agree, but I assume michael92 was referencing bigger 3D RPGs like Devin is planning to make, which you certainly couldn't make for $200k, and probably not with a team as small as 5 either. However, some of my most wanted games right now are smaller KS projects, like Cosmic Star Heroine, Ghost Song, Hyper Light Drifter, and so on.

This news has made my day. This was all that I was asking for, a good laugh. He delivered.

This reminds me of the open world GTA game that was on Kickstarter not too long ago.

Devin Tripp will have the last laugh when he single handed ku makes the biggest and best RPG ever made

I can't wait to become a Jedi maybe or like even a Sith or whatever and use my character or lightsaber named after me or something like that. I'm sold by the pitch alone

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Laughable. As long as Kickstarter shuts it down promptly, at least. Otherwise it could get annoying.

xrnzaaas

Nice trolling, but it's sad that there are always some people that will donate their money even if the project has nothing to show and has zero chances of happening.

The only way a decent game could be developed with less than 200K is if a studio is working almost for free and plans to share the revenue among the devs who made the game. The days when a team of 5 people could make a successful game are long gone due to the inherent complexity of modern games. Sure there is minecraft, but it wasn't exactly complex and was heavy when it first came out.

With 200K you could make a low-end mobile RPG though.

No i'm sure he is gonna have artist work for free because "it'll be good for their portfolio"

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How has Disney not stopped this already?

Maybe Disney is expecting EA to do something since it has the exclusive right to develop Star Wars video games, while EA is expecting Disney to do something as it owns the IP. ;)

Markoman

Wow, that sounds totally exciting. This could end up being my most anticipated game.
I will back this KS with 100$.

mmmh, yammy yammy come get the delicious bait

Astery

This is some very easy 17k money he already raised for something that is clearly not planned for more than 3 minutes of his time. He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

Jimrpg

So you can ask for money for anything these days?

hey im doing a transformers open world game! anyone want to back me?

gocubs

This is some very easy 17k money he already raised for something that is clearly not planned for more than 3 minutes of his time. He doesn't even know what he's talking about.

But if this doesn't get funded he doesn't get anything.

Mikeside

So you can ask for money for anything these days?

hey im doing a transformers open world game! anyone want to back me?

Holy shit everyone, this guy can do a transformers one.
Start a Kickstarter and I'm in for £500.

This is like Sony E3 2015 x1,000,000. I'm so psyched.

I don't know much about how kickstarter works, but couldn't it be used for stealing by all sort of individuals talking shit like this guy?

Donos

This will never reach the end so people make troll pledges.

There was a time that a friend made an absolutely unrealistic kickstarter where i knew it would never reach the goal, so i pledged a pretty high tier :) .

Top Bottom