• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Star Wars Open World RPG

wuth

"I don't know how much the rest of you know about Kickstarter culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it."

I hope the comments section is saved forever and ever. Thank you, Neogaf and friends for making today special.

Hah, did it say this when it was first posted?
"Open World RPG "like" Star Wars Game Called Star Lords"

Nope, it started as "Star Wars Open World RPG", and he's been massaging the title all day in a vain attempt at somehow saving this hilarious trainwreck.

Star Lords lol

Avallon

Pledge $10 or more

8 backers

Letter from me thanking you for helping making this happen. Will be signed by the makers of the game. Same as above just fit for those with bigger pockets.

Tenrius

Anybody can just write a blurb, reference Star Wars and get people to pledge $15,000? $200,000 to make an entire game? Sure.

That's the best part. I think a lot of those people are backing it becuse they think Devin Tripp is a big-name dev of some kind, like Ken Levine or Hideo Kojima. They probably think it's a about a well-known game designer trying to get some attention from Disney and gloss over all the mistakes in the description. Still, getting that much money this quick is impressive. I think the funding's reached a certain critical mass which makes it look legit for new backers.

blackw0lf

The crazy thing is if he had asked for $15,000 the kickstarter may have actually been funded by now.

Although if people saw that he was close to getting funded they might have stopped funding it. Right now people might feel safe believing it won't actually get funded.

KiteGr

One guy...
No developers...
No licence...
Just 200000$...
For an openworld RPG...
No artwoks or concept art...

Seems legit!

Cracklox

Read the pitch in the OP. Thought, GAF should have fun with this. Have not disappointed.

Thanks for helping pass an otherwise quiet day at work

I think the underlying news is how awful Kickstarter is. This project is just the latest example.

oh shit you're right.

Anything is considered news, even dime a dozen Kickstarter scam page.

I still remember when Brian Crecente defended spoiling the entirety of Modern Warfare 2 a year before it came out. Saying they had an obligation to report it before someone else did. I guess integrity never crossed his mind.

LogN

I can't believe this is serious. Also, right in the first sentence, Obi "One" Kenobi. Disney will have this down by the end of the day or EA, whom Disney gave the game rights to.

wuth

REally ? because i'm not seeing anything

Right here:
UWinPHo.jpg

Would you guys be in for Kickstarting a forum where people talk about games but do not play them? I'm just getting a feel for how big that demographic is.

Faenix1

Doesn't EA own the exclusive Star Wars license for games?

Best we can hope from this is EA sees people want a Star Wars RPG and they give us a new KOTOR-like game.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Devin seems a good guy to me

johntown

Banned
Love the idea but with Disney and possibly EA wrapped up in this it will never happen. Hope I am wrong though.

beat

Would you guys be in for Kickstarting a forum where people talk about games but do not play them? I'm just getting a feel for how big that demographic is.

Aren't you just describing people here on the gaming side who eventually move over full time to OT?

autoduelist

Main page of kickstarter now reads

obi juan Kinobi

did a thread search on juan and didn't get any hits, so posting just in case people missed it.

Top Bottom