• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

So he IS the writer of the game. God bless you sakurai. Also god bless you treehouse for the english dialogs, AND Nintendo of Spain, you did a good job with the wacky translation, too bad is nearly impossible to read the subtitles and would have been better with an option of a spanish dub.

BTW for people who have finished the game
In
boss rush mode
and tips fighting without getting hit most of the time against
heart of hades
His the fucking worst boss in the game and the most difficult and fustrating. Just becuase of his beserk mode.
I dont have any problems with the other bosses, but him is a pain in the ass.

Sakurai... you genius, you.

THIS is what a talented developer is like.
He has his hands in so many areas of the game it's not even funny.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Super Guide to Weapon Fusion

I got most of this info from the Japanese wiki, where they figured out the formula for how weapon fusions work to get specific weapons.

Essentially, there are 12 weapons of every type, and each of these weapons is assigned a number from 1 to 12. When you fuse two weapons together, you just add those numbers together to get the number of the resulting weapon. If the result is higher than 12, it just wraps back around to 1; in other words, if it's more than 12, subtract 12. Simple as that!

So for example, you want to make an Angel Bow, because you have heard it has really good homing capabilities and you want to try it out.

First you check this chart to see what combinations can result in bows:

nkh0w.png

It turns out you can make bows from anything except staves and other bows.

So looking down the first column, you randomly decide you are going to make an Angel Bow from a blade and an arm. What number is the Angel Bow, so we can find out what blade and arm numbers we need to add together?

Well here is a nice list of the item numbers. I believe this is correct; it's the order the cards are numbered and the order of idols in-game, and every test I've put it through has worked. These are SPOILERS, some of these weapons take a lot of work to unlock, and they're named after bosses and such.

So we can see that the Angel Bow is number 7. 2 + 5 = 7, we could use blade 2 and arm 5 to make it, which is a Burst Blade and Drill Arm.

Or as another example, Royal Blade plus Artillery Claws equals Ore Club. 5 + 8 = 13, 13 - 12 = 1.

Nifty, huh?

One interesting thing about this is that almost any weapon can be used to fuse almost any other weapon. I mean, think about it...say you want to make a Royal Blade, blade 5. Staves are one blade ingredient and cannons are the other, so let's see which staves and cannons can be used to make blade 5:

1 & 4
2 & 3
3 & 2
4 & 1
5 & 12
6 & 11
7 & 10
8 & 9
9 & 8
10 & 7
11 & 6
12 & 5

...All staves and cannons can be used as part of a fusion to make blade 5! It's just a game of finding the right partner.

If a fusion doesn't work, i.e. if you try to fuse two weapons to make a new one and all you see is an X and question mark, it means you haven't unlocked that weapon yet. Play the game more, explore more thoroughly
in every even-numbered chapter
, complete more treasure hunt challenges. Eventually you will be able to fuse anything with anything.

According to the wiki that revealed this, there are some exceptions to this rule. You'll expect to get a staff and end up with a sword instead. I have no idea why, perhaps there are some small programming errors. If a certain combination doesn't turn out as expected, I'm sorry, but this addition rule for fusion works the majority of the time.

Oh yeah, one other thing: to my knowledge, nobody knows how to tell which stars and abilities get carried over yet. It's bound to be a complicated calculation.

Quoteing this post for a new page cause it's awesome

SmithnCo

In
boss rush mode
heart of hades
His the fucking worst boss in the game and the most difficult and fustrating. Just becuase of his beserk mode.

You can dodge through him if you're fast enough, and trying to keep your distance helps. There's also a power that lets you shoot through walls, haven't tried it on him yet but I imagine it would be useful. Dunno if you would want to give up power slots for it though.

NeoRausch

So um.... Sakurai enjoys weed while surfing the intertubes and writing down stuff (a endless loop of great movies running on a phat ass tv right beside him)?

Neat!

Giolon

Reformatted for readability.

Just got this message from Club Nintendo. Please note, the formatting is theirs, not mine, so I apologize for the wall of text.

A Special Message From Masahiro Sakurai

Hello Super Smash Bros. fans,This is Masahiro Sakurai, Director and Game Designer of Kid Icarus: Uprising. I am also the Director of the Super Smash Bros. series.

The character Pit, who appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Wii, was the main character in Kid Icarus 25 years ago. In bringing him to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, I designed him imagining, "if the series had continued and he had evolved with it over these long years, what kind of character would he be?"

Link from The Legend of Zelda has appropriately changed and developed alongside the series, but in Pit's case, he needed to change in one big leap. You all know the kind of role he played in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. It was through a very strange twist of fate that I came to create this new entry in the Kid Icarus series. I think being able to add your touch to a title of this nature is almost unprecedented.

So, of course, I have made no compromises on content.It has a fun multiplayer mode that is brimming with variety, which it inherits from the Super Smash Bros. games. The weapons, powers, and stages combine to create different results every time. You never know what will happen. Please try to play it with six players.

On top of that, it has a robust single-player mode. The theme of this mode is challenge, and it starts with the Fiend's Cauldron. It's not the kind of game that you play through once and are done with—you can play this mode many times, as often as you like. The story is also quite robust from a gaming perspective. I wrote the entire Japanese script myself, and it is rich with humor and plot shifts, which have been translated overseas by the staff at Nintendo of America. If you find it funny in your own tongue, it's because of the efforts of NOA's localization team.

I hope you will enjoy Kid Icarus: Uprising.

Sincerely,
Masahiro Sakurai

Wow, it's amazing what a few line breaks will do.

Also, I think Sakurai might have just jumped onto my favorite game designers list.

Sakurai has earned much respect with this game but people should not forget he has a good team behind him. Overall Nintendo did a great job here this is indeed a classic.

hope it sells well enough for them to try it again.

Jintor

In
boss rush mode
heart of hades

This may seem obvious, but you can just sidedash out of its way. You just need to get the timing down.

Salih

I still can't comprehend how this game manages to be so insanely epic in one moment and then be totally silly and wacky in the next. THIS GAME!

sphinx

the piano man
the KI:U |OT| is by far the best party thread in months, I am yet to see a single post bitching and moaning about something. Minor complains about controls but overall, this thread shows what videogame dreams are made of.

an entity of gamers getting a game they all enjoy at least for fucking once, with out silly talks of FPS, downports, graphix, game should be here, game should be there.

I don't even have a 3DS but I love to read this thread and confirm that once in a while complete happiness can be achieved. the last time I saw an OT like this was probably Mario Galaxy, a while ago.

Bravo, Sakurai & Co.

hatchx

Banned
the KI:U |OT| is by far the best party thread in months, I am yet to see a single post bitching and moaning about something. Minor complains about controls but overall, this thread shows what videogame dreams are made of.

an entity of gamers getting a game they all enjoy at least for fucking once, with out silly talks of FPS, downports, graphix, game should be here, game should be there.

I don't even have a 3DS but I love to read this thread and confirm that once in a while complete happiness can be achieved. the last time I saw an OT like this was probably Mario Galaxy, a while ago.

Bravo, Sakurai & Co.

I've been here since the beginning and there's been a lot of heated debate over the controls, sales, etc. But yes, overall this is a thread of fap and may the fap continue.

Went to a Best Buy and two Gamestops today.
Both were sold out. o_O

Woah....nice....

KevinCow

Banned
I was gonna say that whoever wrote this game's story should write the next Zelda.

Kinda surprised it was actually Sakurai himself.

Well it's unlikely that Sakurai will write the next Zelda, but whether he does or doesn't, it really needs to follow this game's lead. Have a story that doesn't fall back on collecting X number of Y, and instead gives you different objectives for each step of the story. And I think Kid Icarus has finally proven that you can have voice acting without sacrificing that Nintendo whimsy.

Went to a Best Buy and two Gamestops today.
Both were sold out. o_O

Wow. Not too surprising for Gamestop, since they generally get in just enough to cover preorders and then a couple more, but it's surprising for Best Buy. I hope it means the game's selling really well and not just that they got low shipment orders.

I still can't comprehend how this game manages to be so insanely epic in one moment and then be totally silly and wacky in the next. THIS GAME!

I love that. No matter how serious things get, there's still time for the jokes.

I wasn't sold on the lighthearted take when they first said that's what they were doing with this game, but I'm glad they went that route. Anyone else in the world would have jumped on the gritty reboot bandwagon, and we would've gotten something like Factor 5's Man Icarus. Sakurai was all, nope, we're making this game goofy as hell.

Neiteio

Makes me wish even more that he made Brawl with a funny story instead of whatever Brawl could be described as having.

*Hopes next one is funny out the ass with Pit & Palutena doing running commentary*
Brawl's script was done by the guy who did Final Fantasy VII, iirc. There was much hoopla about how "epic" this would make the game. Heh.

So yeah. Sakurai, if the next Smash has a story, write it yourself, foo. Uprising be ballin'.

Maldoror

Pit is such a wonderful character. I love his ongoing enthusiasm and his cheerful tone. His silly passion for hotsprings is hilarious, and the way he reacts when controlling Cherubot for the first time is just awesome :
"I love you Cherubot ! You're my new best friend !... But don't tell Lady Palutena."
It kinda makes me sad when Palutena makes fun of him. Especially when she says he needs to (early game spoiler, if i'm not mistaken)
"make some friends" :(

Pit is such a wonderful character. I love his ongoing enthusiasm and his cheerful tone. His silly passion for hotsprings is hilarious, and the way he reacts when controlling Cherubot for the first time is just awesome :
"I love you Cherubot ! You're my new best friend !... But don't tell Lady Palutena."
It kinda makes me sad when Palutena makes fun of him. Especially when she says he needs to (early game spoiler, if i'm not mistaken)
"make some friends" :(

he deserves a girlfriend in the next game poor guy :(

Neiteio

Palutena was teasing him, you thin-skinned pansies. :p I'd be more concerned about how she constantly puts him in harm's way, though as we learn later on with the centurions (and this is not a spoiler), Palutena's forces can always be revived, so I'd imagine that applies to Pit as well (and it must, since she teases him for saying "I'm finished!" all the time).

I like how Pit reacts to the flirtations of
Phosphora
, though. And how Palutena tells Pit not to think anything "naughty," eheheh. It's hard having a hot boss, eh Pit? :p

Bentendo

I work at Target and the Nintendo rep came in today. He said that Kid Icarus has been selling like crazy and that Nintendo is really happy with it (our store was completely sold out btw).

For those interested, he also said that several people within Nintendo are preparing for a re-reveal of the Wii U, saying that the name will almost definitely change. I don't know how much information this guy knows but I found him to be pretty fun to talk to.

I hope this is a trend of sold out and not underestimated low shipments

We have two locations at Target for it, including one on an endcap where we feature it. Parents are coming in saying how their 10 and 9 year old children are begging for it. We had quite a big shipment.

I work at Target and the Nintendo rep came in today. He said that Kid Icarus has been selling like crazy and that Nintendo is really happy with it (our store was completely sold out btw).

For those interested, he also said that several people within Nintendo are preparing for a re-reveal of the Wii U, saying that the name will almost definitely change. I don't know how much information this guy knows but I found him to be pretty fun to talk to.

If that's true, then that's pretty cool on both fronts. You should post that in the Wii U speculation thread, too. Give those guys another scrap of information to obsess and argue over.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I just can't believe how much I'm enjoying just listening to the characters in this game talk to each other. Three heads bickering with each other, lame puns about it, everyone can fly naturally except Pit, it's great.

How is a handheld game for a franchise I cared nothing about suddenly my vote for best written game of 2012?

Also only on level 3, would be farther but I keep getting a new weapon and trying it out on level one. Or going online, getting a new power and weapon and trying level one with them. Slow progression and difficulty slider does not help push me forward (in a good way).

Palutena was teasing him, you thin-skinned pansies. :p I'd be more concerned about how she constantly puts him in harm's way, though as we learn later on with the centurions (and this is not a spoiler), Palutena's forces can always be revived, so I'd imagine that applies to Pit as well (and it must, since she teases him for saying "I'm finished!" all the time).

I like how Pit reacts to the flirtations of
Phosphora
, though. And how Palutena tells Pit not to think anything "naughty," eheheh. It's hard having a hot boss, eh Pit? :p

Its hard to zero in on what is cannon about Pit's death or dying since the game breaks the 4th wall all the time besides the (
story deals with that very topic near the end point of the game
) whole on going talk and worry about not burning up his wing's 5 minute limit would not be an issue if it was so easy to revive Pit

We have two locations at Target for it, including one on an endcap where we feature it. Parents are coming in saying how their 10 and 9 year old children are begging for it. We had quite a big shipment.

word of mouth must be killing it at school all that loot and bragging right of who has the best weapon? damn could be huge if it pans out

I just can't believe how much I'm enjoying just listening to the characters in this game talk to each other. Three heads bickering with each other, lame puns about it, everyone can fly naturally except Pit, it's great.

How is a handheld game for a franchise I cared nothing about suddenly my vote for best written game of 2012?

Also only on level 3, would be farther but I keep getting a new weapon and trying it out on level one. Or going online, getting a new power and weapon and trying level one with them. Slow progression and difficulty slider does not help push me forward (in a good way).

I had to go into the Audio settings to turn down the sound effects and music a little just to hear what these guys were saying because it became so much part of the game's charm

Bentendo

word of mouth must be killing it at school all that loot and bragging right of who has the best weapon? damn could be huge if it pans out

Look at how good Skylanders did. Kids like these types of things. So do I of course. I've been playing it today and the game is excellent. The voice acting and silly story are definitely the highlights.

Bravo, Sakurai & Co.
Nice post - it's true, this thread is pretty friggin awesome.
Good to know our excitement is reaching other gaffers.

Got this the other day.

IMAG0034.jpg

Dat claw man. It's nice, but you have to be mindful of the weapon value, it usually reflects how it will do in battle.

My main weapon, which is a 260 value Cursed Palm, has that -2 shot defense. It's got some strong abilities, but prepare to get lit up like a mofo. :C That in-peril autododge is pretty sweet though, and those strength stats are pretty darn high. By the by, does anyone know what the "shaking" effect does?

Top Bottom