• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

So I was at BestBuy, and there was one copy left on the shelf staring at me. Despite all my worries about the controls and all the complaints out there, I took the plunge and...

U7OR3.gif

THIS. GAME.

As I suspected, it pretty much feels like all the polish, crazy amount of content and insanity in the Smash games, but with Kid Icarus.

Yes, the controls are initially weird. (At least the default version. Haven't even tried the other options.) I played up to Stage 5 though and so far I haven't had a single issue with cramping or uncomfortableness. I should mention that I only play it lying down on my stomach on the bed with the stand holding up the 3DS. It works out perfectly for me with that set up.

And yes, Palutena, Dark Pit and Medusa have to be in the next Smash now.

hatchx

Banned
Using powers is so annoying.

If you use the D-pad you have to stop moving and take your eyes off the top screen while you select the one you want.

If you use the powers on the bottom of the touch screen you have to take your eyes off the top screen.

Is there any other way to select them? Im using circle pad and styles controls.

Yeah dude, switch 'UP' on the Dpad to your specials. Made all the difference in the world from having to press 'DOWN'.

Usually during a boss I'll just spam out all my specials clicking UP, LEFT, UP, LEFT, UP and so on. It helps a lot in multiplayer too.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

If you use the D-pad you have to stop moving and take your eyes off the top screen while you select the one you want.

If you use the powers on the bottom of the touch screen you have to take your eyes off the top screen.

Yeah it sucks and I'm surprised they didn't think of a better way to do it. They should have just used the d-pad and each direction would be a power. There would only be four powers, but so what.

Insaniac

Yeah it sucks and I'm surprised they didn't think of a better way to do it. They should have just used the d-pad and each direction would be a power. There would only be four powers, but so what.

I would've much preferred the abilities just be a 'tap' to use, and not needing to scroll through icons. I got really used to that when I played metroid prime hunters, and it eventually becomes muscle memory so I don't have to look away from the top screen

edit: mapping the d-pad directions to quick-use powers would've been good too

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Not trying to be rude but you really need to watch what you're saying and spoiler tag more. You have consistently through this thread spoiled things for me that I didn't want to know. They may seem minor to me but considering how many twists and what not are in the story I'd prefer not knowing how many chapters there are. On top of other things. I get you're excited but in the future could you be more mindful as to what you're leaving uncovered. I'm considering maybe just holding out on this thread until I finish the game.
Real talk. (Sorry Neiteio but it's true )

TDLink

I think it's neat that
Gaol appears to be healed and good again but still in control of her cursed powers in Chapter 24. Could make for an interesting character in future sequels if they wished to expand on that.

A total Metroid moment when her identity was revealed. :p

Wait. What? I beat the game and when did this happen in that chapter? I remember doing the boss fight again as a trial but I otherwise don't remember her showing up in that level at all???

Are any other lefties settling for the default right-handed control scheme? I'm still experimenting, but I'd almost rather use the circle pad for movement at the expense of aiming well. The buttons feel quite bad, especially during flight.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kid Icarus: Uprising: Palutena's Revolting Dinner Part 2

Palutena moé headtilt? Check.
Palutena kicking arse? Check.
Naked hot spring Palutena fanservice action? Check.

SHAFT redeemed.

sfried

Kid Icarus: Uprising: Palutena's Revolting Dinner Part 2

Palutena moé headtilt? Check.
Palutena kicking arse? Check.
Naked hot spring Palutena fanservice action? Check.

SHAFT redeemed.
How about a full season of Kid Icarus anime? Why does Persona have to hog all the fun?

Neiteio

Wait. What? I beat the game and when did this happen in that chapter? I remember doing the boss fight again as a trial but I otherwise don't remember her showing up in that level at all???
You fight Gaol and Magnus as one of the trials in Chapter 24. Magnus says they agreed to be part of Pit's trial, so it's really them. And Gaol is talking with her female voice -- no possessed voice filter. So not only did she survive the end of Chapter 2, as Palutena said, but she's good again and yet still able to use her dark lord powers.

TDLink

You fight Gaol and Magnus as one of the trials in Chapter 24. Magnus says they agreed to be part of Pit's trial, so it's really them. And Gaol is talking with her female voice -- no possessed voice filter. So not only did she survive the end of Chapter 2, as Palutena said, but she's good again and yet still able to use her dark lord powers.

Ah ok. I guess I missed the part where she talked. I remember Magnus saying that but I was somehow thinking that only pertained to him (especially since some of the other bosses you fight in that chapter I doubt would just "agree" to be a part of that whole thing). I guess I'll need to replay that one. A lot of the dialogue in this game can get lost in the shuffle with so much going on and my attention getting divided. Thanks for clearing it up. You are right that it is an interesting development.

Acid08

Banned
Played 3 chapters in, really like it. Looks pretty sharp too, always nice to see that the 3DS can produce some great visuals.

Addicted to OoT: 3D at the moment though :p, but I'm actually really looking forward to trying the multiplayer.

Man I'm enjoying the game... minus one bit, I was hoping for on rails bosses at least sometimes, but so far? Nothing :\ otherwise amazing! Just took it online and is simply the best use of 3D in a game ever (
Chapter 5 with the Super FX Star Fox look actually had walls you would think were 3D with how they're drawn but were actually flat and you could tell with the 3D on, that was a surprise
)

Teknoman

Dark Pit IS swag.

What nickname does Palutena give him in the English version? If I remember correctly, in Japanese she calls him Kuro-pi (Shortened version of Kuroi Pit/Black Pit)

Pittoo as in Pit-two

Man I'm enjoying the game... minus one bit, I was hoping for on rails bosses at least sometimes, but so far? Nothing :\ otherwise amazing! Just took it online and is simply the best use of 3D in a game ever (
Chapter 5 with the Super FX Star Fox look actually had walls you would think were 3D with how they're drawn but were actually flat and you could tell with the 3D on, that was a surprise
)

Glad i'm not the only one who thought thats the way it looked. Would have been nice if someone said the area had a familiar look or hinted at it.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm with all the people saying the world NEEDS a Kid Icarus Uprising anime. With writing done by the same awesome dude who did the writing for the game.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm with all the people saying the world NEEDS a Kid Icarus Uprising anime. With writing done by the same awesome dude who did the writing for the game.
Going by the anime shorts it wouldn't surprise me if most of the comedy originated from Treehouse.

jonno394

Debuted at 7th in the uk all format charts. Not bad but not great.

Operation Racoon City debuting above it in second makes me sad.

i just settled with "never use them". no need for them anyway. i clear 8+ without them.

Neiteio

Ah ok. I guess I missed the part where she talked. I remember Magnus saying that but I was somehow thinking that only pertained to him (especially since some of the other bosses you fight in that chapter I doubt would just "agree" to be a part of that whole thing). I guess I'll need to replay that one. A lot of the dialogue in this game can get lost in the shuffle with so much going on and my attention getting divided. Thanks for clearing it up. You are right that it is an interesting development.
Dyntos explains that the Phoenix rematch, Cragalanche rematch and Kraken rematch all use forgeries he made of the original monsters. That's the first trial. But then in the second trial he invites the actual Magnus and Gaol, and here Gaol talks in a female voice while fighting you. And then you fight Palutena/Pseudo-Palutena, which is in fact the real Palutena, although it appears she fell into a deep sleep and was made a part of the test by Dyntos. All of this leads up to fighting the Great Sacred Treasure, of course.

Note about Dark Pit's nickname:

Not only does Palutena call him Pitoo, as in "Pit Two," but Hades calls him Pitooey, like the sound you make when you sneeze!

Ordered my copy of the game from ShopTo yesterday at 1 PM BST.

It still says it's "processing." I was hoping it would be dispatched by now.

Edit:

The moment I post this I get an email.

It has been dispatched!

I can't wait to play this tomorrow!

Dark Pit/Pittoo/Pittwo is called Tip in France. This is Pit spelled backward, and I think this is better in this situation because Dark Pit
comes from the mirror

Tom_Cody

With one weekend in the books, how does everyone feel about the controls? Here are some of my thoughts. I am sure they will evolve more as I continue to play.

I have been following this title since it was first announced and I had basically dismissed the control criticisms out of hand. Having played through some games with similar controls for the DS I just assumed they were not putting in necessary effort to learn the controls, yet the first time I sat down with it I was shocked at how unintuitive the ground controls are. In my first play session I played through the first 2 levels on intensity level 2 and I could barely do anything on the ground. The controls just didn’t make sense to me.

I checked GAF and someone had mentioned the “spin like a globe” comment that Pit says at some point. I thought about that line a lot before playing again and that really made all the difference. Before that I hadn’t really understood that the camera has inertia and that the speed of your ‘flicks’ determines the camera movement and not merely the position of the stylus. Once this clicked the camera started to feel prefect for the corridor shooting gameplay. Turn a corner with a flick, then aim at enemies with precision.

At this point I have played for about 4 hours and everything has more or less fallen into place. Now I just need to practice my movement and fight strategy. The camera is no longer a concern.

With all that said, I still find it pretty annoying to hold the system. It is annoying when lying down and it is next to impossible to hold and play when standing up (such as when on the subway.) I have found by far the most comfort in playing while sitting down, and even then I need the chair (read: toilet) to be just the right height for play to be comfortable. This issue is made even worse by the limited 3D viewing angle. In what position have you guys been playing?

Top Bottom