• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

etta

my hard graphic balls
Its almost like they had another platform that would allow this... And then abandandoned it and now i cant download my games.

Not even like decades ago. Now. They are still promising some kind of fix and not delivering... And they want me to buy from their new store???? Hahaha never happening.
I believe they fixed that GFWL purchases issue, have you given it another go recently?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1199942

dmix90

what's the fix for 30hz monitors?
Probably really stupid question, but how do you fix that other than replace your display or lower your resolution? Display which is limited to 30hz is not supposed to display more than 30 frames per second..........right? Even if game somehow runs at 60 in background you wont see them anyway. Again i just can't get my head around it atm lol.

StereoVsn

The outrage at this minor bug that has a quick and easy one-time workaround has to be one of the most embarrassing things I've seen on GAF. The game runs absolutely flawlessly, looks great with the new lighting, plays fantastic, has a ton of content, a great price, a netcode that is basically perfect and people are calling it a "broken mess".
The issue is not the big or the game but rather shit UWP platform which disallows things like mods and goes against the openness of PC for gaming and generally as a platform.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Probably really stupid question, but how do you fix that other than replace your display or lower your resolution? Display which is limited to 30hz is not supposed to display more than 30 frames per second..........right? Even if game somehow runs at 60 in background you wont see them anyway. Again i just can't get my head around it atm lol.
Not sure why people would want to play a fighting game at 30fps either.
Oh! Last i heard it hadnt been fixed. I still wont buy anything from w10 store soon but i will happily play viva pinata
Take a look at the link I posted and give the client a try.

Somnia

Well it's good to see this thread has turned into a bitch about the Win10 Store and UWP when this is an issue the dev screwed up on not having anything to do with the store or UWP.

I get people hate UWP and the Win10 store and that's fine, but that's not what the discussion here is right now. The issue is that Iron Galaxy screwed up and now it needs fixed. There are workarounds on most monitors and NVidia cards. AMD Cards that have an under 60hz monitor are still screwed and THAT sucks.

All we know right now is IG knows about it and said they are working on a fix.

We should change the thread to "bitch about UWP and Win10 store" instead.

edit: Please note I am not defending UWP or the Win10 store in any way, they have a ton of work to do there. I am discussing the topic of this thread.

Carlius

Banned
The issue is not the big or the game but rather shit UWP platform which disallows things like mods and goes against the openness of PC for gaming and generally as a platform.

than talk about it on the lets shit on windows 10 thread. the game has ONE minor issue that will be fixed. its getting out of hand. its a great port and like said above, the netcode is just incredible.

Luckydog

1. Set desktop resolution to 60 hz.

Oh yes, so laborious and difficult.

UWPs have plenty of problems already that I'd actually liked to see get fixed. We don't need to muddy the waters by inventing nonsense.

I understand the limitations UWP impose and it is a problem that should be taken seriously, but I do not agree that this issue with Killer Instinct stems from UWP's. In the end, there is a temp work around and the developer is working on a final fix. What I'm hearing is "I want to use MY workaround via a third party app" or "You are not fixing it the way I want it fixed". So many things to complain about UWP, but in my opinion this is not one of them.

Glix

No. What you are hearing is "this is not an issue in 95% of pc releases BUT I'd still be okay with it if i could work around it in an efficient way. When I cant it annoys me, and reminds me of all the completely unmecessary (from a consumer standpoint) hoops i need to jump through to play these w10 store games"

aeolist

Banned
I understand the limitations UWP impose and it is a problem that should be taken seriously, but I do not agree that this issue with Killer Instinct stems from UWP's. In the end, there is a temp work around and the developer is working on a final fix. What I'm hearing is "I want to use MY workaround via a third party app" or "You are not fixing it the way I want it fixed". So many things to complain about UWP, but in my opinion this is not one of them.

what about the hypothetical future case when a game comes out broken in this way on the windows store and the developer does not care to fix it? this isn't far fetched, it's happened a million times with standard win32 games, the difference being that in those cases user workarounds can often provide a working solution.

with this game in particular the fix would be trivial. UE is well understood by the modding community and a simple ini edit would probably deal with this for most people.

ghostjoke

Banned
Because a patch is in progress...
If the developers hadn't already acknowledged the issue, sure, go ham. They have, though, so you can either wait and not play or use a temporary fix while waiting for the patch release.

There's just something incredibly worrying that developers are still making the gameplay issues that I associate with emulating old games from the 90s and then releasing them in ways that amplify the issue. And in a fighting game... ugh, just how?

And is there really a console style certification process I keep seeing pop up? If so, fuck that shit.

I download games from Steam that often need fixes, not all of them quick and easy, sometimes beyond my level of comprehension where we need to wait for someone to debug and produce a fix, sift through ini's hoping one tweak will do it , wait for modders or hope the developer can tackle it.

But an obvious (i can't believe OP needed to update) 5 second fix is where you go to war?

Advice, don't talk about ini files and modders when defending a game using UWP. The whole point that I've seen about UWP (whether I agree with their implementation) is simplifying and unifying the experience. Issues like this counteract the mantra MS have been pushing, which leads me to the question before: "Who is the Windows 10 Store is designed for?"

JaggedSac

Last Gears update allows you to edit an ini file to make changes. Someone in the KI OT just mentioned being able to add AA using an external program pointing at the exe. Things will shake out.

Akronis

They are obviously concerned about performance issues...you have to do a performance test in order to play online...so no i don't think someone with a 30 hz monitor should be playing the game.

But I'm sure you'd be able to play SFV with a 30hz monitor.

Maybe you shouldn't dictate what hardware people should and shouldn't be able to play on? No other games that I'm aware of have this issue and it's not going to be easily fixable in your UWA future.

Head.spawn

Yet the way UWP is structured makes it so these issues are not easily fixable by users. Along with no exclusive fullscreen and desktop composition being forced on, there is definitely an issue with the platform.

It is easilly fixable though, the first temp solutions were in the KI OT like a second after someone posted the first video showing this.

I never said there weren't issues with UWP, there is a lot that needs to be ironed out for sure, it's just this type of bug or similar can be found in Steam games as well, it's not UWP specific.

Too bad I didn't frame it as a UWP specific problem. I originally said UWP might be the cause according to my speculation (denoted clearly) and later clarified that the issue probably isn't directly related to UWP, yet certain (but not all) fixes are blocked due to UWP. This is all fact, and it's clearly noted where it isn't. I also updated the OP when someone provided a fix.

It was definitely noted as speculation, I'll agree with that, but you can clearly see that even hinting at it basically made the entire threads replies solely based on that. Which isn't entirely your fault, people don't read OPs, lol.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Last Gears update allows you to edit an ini file to make changes. Someone in the KI OT just mentioned being able to add AA using an external program pointing at the exe. Things will shake out.
Maybe Phil at Build today will talk about them relaxing some of the restrictions on UWP?

Akronis

It is easilly fixable though, the first temp solutions were in the KI OT like a second after someone posted the first video showing this.

I never said there weren't issues with UWP, there is a lot that needs to be ironed out for sure, it's just this type of bug or similar can be found in Steam games as well, it's not UWP specific.

I was speaking in broader terms. Stuff like shitty frame pacing can no longer be easily fixed with RTSS with UWA in its current state.

Luckydog

what about the hypothetical future case when a game comes out broken in this way on the windows store and the developer does not care to fix it? this isn't far fetched, it's happened a million times with standard win32 games, the difference being that in those cases user workarounds can often provide a working solution.

with this game in particular the fix would be trivial. UE is well understood by the modding community and a simple ini edit would probably deal with this for most people.

Thats a good and valid question, but isnt that an issue for the actual case when it happens? There are real ACTUAL cases where UWP is causing issues. It just feels like this particular blow-up is completely manufactured and really has nothing to do with UWP other than to say "I want to fix it MY way, not your way iron galaxy".

The bug is clearly in how IG made the game, they have been super responsive on launch day and active on the boards and have committed to a fix. Cant we save all this outrage for when things are actually a complete clusterfuck like Arkham was on the PC last year?

Justified

I hate when framerate is tied to the game logic. Im sure they will fix it though.

Oh and LOL
xGOLnob.png

Somnia

No. What you are hearing is "this is not an issue in 95% of pc releases BUT I'd still be okay with it if i could work around it in an efficient way. When I cant it annoys me, and reminds me of all the completely unmecessary (from a consumer standpoint) hoops i need to jump through to play these w10 store games"

Except this has NOTHING to do with it being a w10 store game. This was an issue by a developer who messed up and they are working on a fix. I'm not just letting them slide for releasing it like this, but it IS being worked on.

The workaround for this isn't exactly that difficult, no more than workarounds for other games. This has turned into a witch hunt against win10 games when this time around it's not even the reason for the issue.

nynt9

Except this has NOTHING to do with it being a w10 store game. This was an issue by a developer who messed up and they are working on a fix. I'm not just letting them slide for releasing it like this, but it IS being worked on.

The workaround for this isn't exactly that difficult, no more than workarounds for other games. This has turned into a witch hunt against win10 games when this time around it's not even the reason for the issue.

It does have something to do with it being a w10 game in that some workarounds don't work because of UWP.

Head.spawn

I was speaking in broader terms. Stuff like shitty frame pacing can no longer be easily fixed with RTSS with UWA in its current state.

Gotcha. Hopefully things like that will eventually be worked out. The post above about Gears shows they are at least acknowledging these limitations and hopefully that is the broader direction they take.

If they implement a 60 fps cap in game, leaving the refresh rate for your desktop to 144 hz will continue to cause other issues. So, without exclusive fullscreen the refresh rate remains tied to the desktop, 60 fps cap will cause judder for any display not set to a refresh rate that is a factor of 60. Either you deal with judder or you change the refresh rate of your desktop each time you want to play and when you quit, even after they fix the bug directly due to the limitation of UWP.

Somnia

It does have something to do with it being a w10 game in that some workarounds don't work because of UWP.

So the multiple workarounds aren't enough for you? You have to have to have the 1 very specific workaround that you want in order to be happy?

edit: Anyways this has gone way off topic from the issue with Killer Instinct, I'm moving on!

aeolist

Banned
Thats a good and valid question, but isnt that an issue for the actual case when it happens? There are real ACTUAL cases where UWP is causing issues. It just feels like this particular blow-up is completely manufactured and really has nothing to do with UWP other than to say "I want to fix it MY way, not your way iron galaxy".

The bug is clearly in how IG made the game, they have been super responsive on launch day and active on the boards and have committed to a fix. Cant we save all this outrage for when things are actually a complete clusterfuck like Arkham was on the PC last year?

i think the sentiment is more "i want it fixed ASAP, and UWP is getting in the way by not letting me access the game files and slowing patches with certification"

everyone wants an official patch.

and i don't see the point in waiting for the bomb to drop instead of agitating for change now. there's a clear and plausible scenario for this platform to completely fuck up a game without recourse, why not demand better?

Chev

That we can both agree on, but the discussion has gone way off from that.

The outrage is justified. This is an antique problem that PC devs learned to deal with in the early 90s and to see it surface back now on one of the flagship windows 10 games will necessarily produce a bad impression.

Unless that monitor somehow accepts a 60hz input you won't be playing SFV on that.

It's very common for fighting games to tie the game logic to the framerate.

Nah, SFV works fine precisely because it ties its logic to the update rate, not the frame rate. Just like Xrd and Skullgirls and MKX and many others. It's typically a console reflex to couple the update rate with the frame rate, while PC devs have long learned to assume the presence of various refresh rates, and most don't even have to think about it these days because UE deals with it automatically. KI's the exception here.

Gestault

and i don't see the point in waiting for the bomb to drop instead of agitating for change now. there's a clear and plausible scenario for this platform to completely fuck up a game without recourse, why not demand better?

The patch has been announced, which is good. But to your concern about not wanting to rely on official patching, I asked this earlier and didn't see a response:

Am I off-base in thinking that if the executable could be modified in that way, it could compromise the competitive scene if matchmaking allowed players with modified core components? (Real question, not rhetorical)

There are more than one working solutions already, so it comes off like you're not talking about Killer Instinct.

aeolist

Banned
The patch has been announced, which is good. But to your concern about not wanting to rely on official patching, I asked this earlier and didn't see a response:

There are more than one working solutions already, so it comes off like you're not talking about Killer Instinct.

editing an ini file to lock the framerate at 60 does not change the executable at all.

Durante

If they implement a 60 fps cap in game, leaving the refresh rate for your desktop to 144 hz will continue to cause other issues. So, without exclusive fullscreen the refresh rate remains tied to the desktop, 60 fps cap will cause judder for any display not set to a refresh rate that is a factor of 60. Either you deal with judder or you change the refresh rate of your desktop each time you want to play and when you quit, even after they fix the bug directly due to the limitation of UWP.
I didn't even think of that.

Better hope they announce exclusive fullscreen support for UWP today!

Head.spawn

i think the sentiment is more "i want it fixed ASAP, and UWP is getting in the way by not letting me access the game files and slowing patches with certification"

everyone wants an official patch.

We have open response from Phil Spencer on record acknowledging this need for change, to what extent isn't yet clear, BUT we already know there is a major overhaul planned for the store and OS in June. Those two things shouldn't put people at complete ease, but they should at least get them out of angry horde mode and into a civil conversion while we wait to see where they are headed with those avenues.

OmegaDL50

I recommend not doing stuff like 'M$' it gives people an easy way to dismiss your comments.

It's also apparently a bannable offense last time I remember.

It's as equally ridiculous as replacing the S in Sony with a dollar sign.

Still this situation could probably be handled a bit better. There is really nothing preventing Microsoft on releasing Killer Instinct as a traditional Win32 application, except for the whole premise of integration with Xbox One online and wanting promote and actively push their Windows 10 store.

The thing is Microsoft needs to consider the long term rather than short term. A little meticulous planning wouldn't hurt. As it would be unfortunate for several games locked behind the UWP platform become something like GFWL and have a limited lease on life.

But that's a problem with all proprietary platforms in of itself.

Gestault

editing an ini file to lock the framerate at 60 does not change the executable at all.

Fair point in the general sense, assuming the visual rendering is distinct from game-logic. If that isn't the case for KI, that's where the challenge comes in (the game was built for a closed platform, originally).

By the way, I wonder what will happen if we connect a CRT monitor to the PC - 100 Hz was basically a minimal refresh rate for a comfortable usage.

Huh? I thought it was always 50hz for Europe and 60hz for US/Japan. Hence the whole thing with retro video games running more slowly (literally) in Europe.

aeolist

Banned
Is that type of fullscreen what people traditionally think of when they say fullscreen? Like, Alt+Enter fullscreen? If so, I don't understand the requirement.

yes, and it's there because microsoft wants every app to use the windows desktop compositor for the purposes of standardization and easier multitasking. borderless windowed fullscreen does make it easier to switch between apps.

the problems arise with things like this.

Top Bottom