• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

LowParry

The temp fix is fine and easy to do. Though a solution has to go through the certification process right? So 2+ weeks out I assume :/

JaggedSac

Phil will be onstage today at their build keynote discussing more ways to destroy pc gaming if anyone is interested. UWAs should pop up once or twice. 11:30 Est.

Salty Hippo

The outrage at this minor bug that has a quick and easy one-time workaround has to be one of the most embarrassing things I've seen on GAF. The game runs absolutely flawlessly, looks great with the new lighting, plays fantastic, has a ton of content, a great price, a netcode that is basically perfect and people are calling it a "broken mess".

Luckydog

They didn't port MK X to PC, that was High Voltage.

Iron Galaxy basically had Arkham Knight dropped on their doorstep last minute because Rocksteady and WB thought optimizing for PC then porting to consoles was a bad idea.

Is that what happened? I always wondered what the story was....

Why are you arguing me then?

You collectively ignore the systemic issue causing this all in the first place? Probably with the intention to obscure problems with the new Win10 store platform?
Why?

I have no idea. The root context behind this "bug" stems from the UWP nature.

aeolist

Banned
The outrage at this minor bug that has a quick and easy one-time workaround has to be one of the most embarrassing things I've seen on GAF. The game runs absolutely flawlessly, looks great with the new lighting, plays fantastic, has a ton of content, a great price, a netcode that is basically perfect and people are calling it a "broken mess".

it's not just about this game. microsoft PC releases of late have shown a level of disregard for the platform that's worrying a lot of people now that they're trying to push their way back into the market.

CryptiK

Can't believe I saw someone insinuation Game logic being tied to refresh rates and frame rates wasn't broken.. What has PC gaming come to.

Sure, Q and A would have captured this, were it properly extensive.

But the arcane nature of the UWP app rulings is the heart of why the user lacks he control tod o basic things which would make this a complete non-issue.
1. set the game to exclusive full screen
2. set the game to a specific hz in exclusive full screen
3. change the game's framerate limit via common and expected vendor-agnostic programs

This is not the first PC fighter that has problems with 60hz+ displays, but in other games it is readily and easily fixed

1. Set desktop resolution to 60 hz.

Oh yes, so laborious and difficult.

UWPs have plenty of problems already that I'd actually liked to see get fixed. We don't need to muddy the waters by inventing nonsense.

TBiddy

You collectively ignore the systemic issue causing this all in the first place? Probably with the intention to obscure problems with the new Win10 store platform?
Why?

I have no idea. The root context behind this "bug" stems from the UWP nature.

No, I argue that this is a bug in the game. I'm not going to discuss the obvious limitations and poor design decisions of UWP with you in this thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.

Zackat

This thread is something else. For most of you I imagine this would take you 10 seconds before and after you play to change your settings.

The only people who should be complaining to this level are people who have 60+hz monitors that are locked. I feel bad for them because they can't play this cool-ass game as it was intended.

This seems more like a thread to bash on Windows 10 Game Store than anything else which is a shame, because other than this it is a really nice port that is even running on peoples surface pros.

ghostjoke

Banned
"But the fix is quick and easy..."

I always wonder why people use this as an excuse when it is more of an indictment of the system/developer than anything else.

I really am wondering who the Windows 10 Store is designed for.

This thread is something else. For most of you I imagine this would take you 10 seconds before and after you play to change your settings.

The only people who should be complaining to this level are people who have 60+hz monitors that are locked. I feel bad for them because they can't play this cool-ass game as it was intended.

This seems more like a thread to bash on Windows 10 Game Store than anything else which is a shame, because other than this it is a really nice port that is even running on peoples surface pros.

What annoys me is that there are plenty of legitimate complaints about UWPs without inventing more (which hasn't stopped people claiming GSync and DSR don't work on UWPs when they patently do). Can we focus on the real ones?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The temp fix is fine and easy to do. Though a solution has to go through the certification process right? So 2+ weeks out I assume :/

Having to go through cert to add a max framerate to the DefaultEngine.ini in unreal lol.

1. Set desktop resolution to 60 hz.

Oh yes, so laborious and difficult.

UWPs have plenty of problems already that I'd actually liked to see get fixed. We don't need to muddy the waters by inventing nonsense.
Did I argue that it is laborious/difficult or a problems which demands incredible work from the user? Was that really the nature of my argumentation here? What non-sense have I invented?
No, I argue that this is a bug in the game. I'm not going to discuss the obvious limitations and poor design decisions of UWP with you in this thread. There are plenty of other threads for that.
And spare me your suggestions, that I have an agenda.
Then I honestly have no idea why this thread exists if we cannot discuss the reason why this is a possible problem in the first place.
If someone made a thread about an unity game messing up due to this same reason, I would point out how most unity games lack proper full screen support due to an inherent problem in unity.
And yes, I do question the sincerity of your argument as I have no idea why anyone would want to downplay the nature of UWP’s core design principles being a great causal factor for this bug in the first place. I find it hard to imagine why anyone would want to actively dissuade discussion on that topic.

But the Win 10 store/UWP paradigm is both the cause of the problem *and* the reason why it is harder for users to work around than it should be.

No. It's not.

The cause of the problem is that the developer tied the gameplay to refresh rate. The work around is fucking simple.

When the framerate in The Evil Within was all messed up at launch, I had to wait for a patch.

Other games that aren't UWPs have had this problem. Other UWPs don't have this problem. Ergo, UWP isn't the cause of this problem.

If changing your desktop refresh rate is harder for you than changing the refresh rate in game while you wait for the patch, then I'm not sure what to tell you.

ultimota

But the Win 10 store/UWP paradigm is both the cause of the problem *and* the reason why it is harder for users to work around than it should be.

the workarounds given are in my opinion no harder than using anyother piece of 3rd party software

etta

my hard graphic balls

I always wonder why people use this as an excuse when it is more of an indictment of the system/developer than anything else.

Because a patch is in progress...
If the developers hadn't already acknowledged the issue, sure, go ham. They have, though, so you can either wait and not play or use a temporary fix while waiting for the patch release.

Did I argue that it is laborious/difficult or a problems which demands incredible work from the user? Was that really the nature of my argumentation here? What non-sense have I invented?

Oh look, my favorite. A goal post mover.

This is not the first PC fighter that has problems with 60hz+ displays, but in other games it is readily and easily fixed

In THIS game it is readily and easily fixed. What you have written here clearly implies that changing the refresh rate of your desktop isn't readily and easily done.

Head.spawn

I download games from Steam that often need fixes, not all of them quick and easy, sometimes beyond my level of comprehension where we need to wait for someone to debug and produce a fix, sift through ini's hoping one tweak will do it , wait for modders or hope the developer can tackle it.

But an obvious (i can't believe OP needed to update) 5 second fix is where you go to war?

cakely

Seriously why do people keep blaming uwp...the framerate issue has nothing to do with the platform they have everything to do with how the game is designed...all they need to do is put in a framerate limiter for displays over 60hz...problem solved

EDIT: I will never not be surprised by how much vitriol people on this forum have for anything that comes from Microsoft...completely unattached from any reason or critical thinking

The actual issue being discussed in this thread is that if KI was released as a Win32 executable instead of as a UWP, the fix for this pretty simple bug would already exist.

This thread is not about the irrational hate of Microsoft, so you can go back to UWP defense headquarters and wait for the next beacon.

If changing your desktop refresh rate is harder for you than changing the refresh rate in game while you wait for the patch, then I'm not sure what to tell you.
It is a question of preferences, then I guess then if we cannot agree that the UWP is the core common denominator behind the nature of this "bug".
IMO:
1. you should not have to change your desktop resolution or refresh rate to fix the problem
2. you should be able to use any and every program that is vendor-agnostic to fix the problem

I scream at Unity and any engine that has issue 1, and I can scarcely think of games where issue 2 even exists. These 2 issues for me, which exaccerbate and compound the nature of what is causing this bug, seem to stem from UWP in my eyes. If not then fine, wait for the bug to be patched after certification. Certification? Hrmmm
In THIS game it is readily and easily fixed. What you have written here clearly implies that changing the refresh rate of your desktop isn't readily and easily done.
Given. I should not have said "readily and easily fixed". Rather I should have said "readily and easily fixed in-game" to connect it to the argument that I have been talking UWP being the problem here. You are right, I do not think it is of inconvenience. In fact, you can check my post in the KI OT where I mention to a user how to fix his DSR problem (i.e. by adjusting his desktop resolution). I just think it is wholly an

I, in the end, expect the a PC release, in spite of a developer problem, to be capable of certain things due to the nature of PC platform.

It's a fighting game. Everything about the gameplay in a fighting game revolves around frames.

Weirdly enough, I know that. And weirdly enough other developers manage to support monitors with variable refresh rates without problem. If this is inherently an issue with UWPs then how the hell are they patching the game to fix it?

Here is the issue UWPs cause Killer Instinct:

The patch will take days longer to hit than it would have on Steam.

Certification is a valid gripe and one I share. Blaming UWPs for this problem happening in the first place? I don't remotely see the basis for it.

JaggedSac

Yeah, agreed. He should have chosen some other issue to jump on. This one is minor at most. With an already layed out clean solution for NVidia owners.

TBiddy

Then I honestly have no idea why this thread exists if we cannot discuss the reason why this is a possible problem in the first place.

In order to inform people, that there's a game-breaking bug in the Windows 10 edition of Killer Instinct, for which workarounds exist and for which a small minority of people are hit. But if you wish to discuss UWP, feel free to do so. If you wish to discuss UWP with me, find or create a thread about UWP and it's limitations and I'm ready.

And yes, I do question the sincerity of your argument as I have no idea why anyone would want to downplay the nature of UWP’s core design principles being a great causal factor for this bug in the first place. I find it hard to imagine why anyone would want to actively dissuade discussion on that topic.

Entertain me. Tell me what you really think my agenda is. I'm merely stating that there's a hideous bug in KI, that is affecting a small minority of gamers currently. A vast majority of the minority have a great workaround. The only ones not able to work-around this bug, while it's being patched, are those with monitors locked at 120/144 hz and those with AMD cards having HRR monitors.

As said above, if you want to discuss UWP and what have you, feel free to do so. I'm not a mod, I'm not going to tell you what to do and not to do. I'm just telling you, that since you agree with me in that this is a bug in KI, we more or less agree in this case.

It is a question of preferences, then I guess then if we cannot agree that the UWP is the core common denominator behind the nature of this "bug".
IMO:
1. you should not have to change your desktop resolution or refresh rate to fix the problem
2. you should be able to use any and every program that is vendor-agnostic to fix the problem

I scream at Unity and any engine that has issue 1, and I can scarcely think of games where issue 2 even exists. These 2 issues for me, which exaccerbate and compound the nature of what is causing this bug, seem to stem from UWP in my eyes. If not then fine, wait for the bug to be patched after certification. Certification? Hrmmm

We can agree on certification. We can agree that third party software should be able to tweak things in our games (like Durante's Deadly Premonition fix or like the Silent Hill 3 FOV tool for proper widescreen to name two I have used). These things though are not readily and easily done. If I could get SH3 into widescreen without needing to find an old third party tool and hit specific keys in game and instead I could just change my desktop resolution before playing... then I'd just change my desktop resolution before playing. Same thing with running Deadly Premonition at a higher resolution.

Most of us have a perfectly valid and easy work around here. People are making out as if we don't.

Not being able to use VXAO or SLI in Rise of the Tomb Raider? Legitimate issue. Waiting days longer for patches? Legitimate issue.

Blaming a bug on UWP when there is nothing to suggest UWP is causing the bug? A waste of everyone's time.

Gestault

Since there are simple temporary solutions, both through normal monitor settings and vendor-specific GPU settings, and a patch has already been announced, I think that's about as good a situation surrounding a bug as there can be.

Reactions I've seen from players have been that the PC version is otherwise solid and well optimized. No one should ignore the problem, and no one who matters is. I'm seeing some strong/tangential reactions that seem to have nothing to do with an attempt to play the game.

There is a quick and easy permanent fix for Nvidia users. It was posted earlier in this thread, and it's in the OP.

You can set framerate limiter for specific profile.......and there is a profile for Killer Instinct already.

nlU8rsd.png

Boooom, problem solved! At least on Nvidia hardware.

jotun?

There's a different UWP game that I play, and the way it handles resolution and framerate is terrible

Fullscreen resolution can't be set to anything other than desktop resolution

Framerate is limited to desktop refresh rate, even with GSync enabled. Normally I could set a 60Hz desktop refresh rate, and gsync would allow games to go up to 144Hz

Activity on my SECOND MONITOR causes the framerate to get limited in the game on my primary. So if there's an animated ad or something on my second monitor, my framerate will drop from 100+ down to 60 every time it moves. If I have a flashing notification on the second monitor taskbar, the game limit just keeps going back and forth between 60 and 144, very annoying

Gestault

The actual issue being discussed in this thread is that if KI was released as a Win32 executable instead of as a UWP, the fix for this pretty simple bug would already exist.

Am I off-base in thinking that if the executable could be modified in that way, it could compromise the competitive scene if matchmaking allowed players with modified core components? (Real question, not rhetorical)

We can agree on certification. We can agree that third party software should be able to tweak things in our games (like Durante's Deadly Premonition fix or like the Silent Hill 3 FOV tool for proper widescreen to name two I have used). These things though are not readily and easily done. If I could get SH3 into widescreen without needing to find an old third party tool and hit specific keys in game and instead I could just change my desktop resolution before playing... then I'd just change my desktop resolution before playing. Same thing with running Deadly Premonition at a higher resolution.

Most of us have a perfectly valid and easy work around here. People are making out as if we don't.

Not being able to use VXAO or SLI in Rise of the Tomb Raider? Legitimate issue. Waiting days longer for patches? Legitimate issue.

Blaming a bug on UWP when there is nothing to suggest UWP is causing the bug? A waste of everyone's time.
I edited my comment above to reflect your post. So check it out.
And yes, I agree with everything you say here. I just think, contrary what you say, that one has to see the context in which the issue is embedded. Is that being overly political about a one-off bug? Probably.

I think the context has a lot to do with the bug in the first place.

mcrommert

Banned
Phil will be onstage today at their build keynote discussing more ways to destroy pc gaming if anyone is interested. UWAs should pop up once or twice. 11:30 Est.

Monsters

This thread is not about the irrational hate of Microsoft, so you can go back to UWP defense headquarters and wait for the next beacon.

Bullshit...for any other game this would be discussed in the OT and everyone would say an update is on its way...but because it is microsoft we get to hear FUD and bullshit constantly. This fix is simple if you have nvidia inspector installed. Like many other games where this is necessary.

Carlius

Banned
oh look..another LETS BASH WINDOWS 10 thread. ive had zero issues with both games, gears and this so far, so record is impecable. quantum nreak, day 1 here i come. bought ki last night and went into overdraft but it was worth it.

aeolist

Banned
Monsters

Bullshit...for any other game this would be discussed in the OT and everyone would say an update is on its way...but because it is microsoft we get to hear FUD and bullshit constantly. This fix is simple if you have nvidia inspector installed. Like many other games where this is necessary.

what's the fix for 30hz monitors?

cakely

I think you're seeing "FUD" (A term that gained popularity when used to describe disinformation spread by Microsoft) where there is none. Look at the OP: there's no disinformation there that needs debunking; it's all accurate.

Head.spawn

I think you're seeing "FUD" (A term that gained popularity when used to describe disinformation spread by Microsoft) where there is none. Look at the OP: there's no disinformation there that needs debunking; it's all accurate.

Framing it as a UWP specific problem is not accurate at all.

what's the fix for 30hz monitors?

Likely the same it would have been were this a steam game. Wait for a patch. That wait will be longer though, I don't deny it. As someone who owns Rise of the Tomb Raider from Windows Store, this annoyance is one I really want to see resolved some how, believe me.

nynt9

Too bad I didn't frame it as a UWP specific problem. I originally said UWP might be the cause according to my speculation (denoted clearly) and later clarified that the issue probably isn't directly related to UWP, yet certain (but not all) fixes are blocked due to UWP. This is all fact, and it's clearly noted where it isn't. I also updated the OP when someone provided a fix.

This isn't another UWP doom fiasco unfortunately despite everyone jumping on it. Will be easily remedied. Focus your firepower on things that deserve it, like Gears. This is a weird mistake but hardly a huge deal.

aeolist

Banned
i get that this bug (probably) isn't a UWP issue itself, but it's clearly part of a pattern of microsoft issues of which UWP is a part. it's easy to see why people are somewhat conflating the two and the microsoft defenders here are being a bit pedantic.

Akronis

Yet the way UWP is structured makes it so these issues are not easily fixable by users. Along with no exclusive fullscreen and desktop composition being forced on, there is definitely an issue with the platform.

Glix

It being on the windows store allows them to make it cross buy since it is all under the same account. Im sure it also makes the cross platform multiplayer much easier as well since you would need to connect to xbox live.

Its almost like they had another platform that would allow this... And then abandandoned it and now i cant download my games.

Not even like decades ago. Now. They are still promising some kind of fix and not delivering... And they want me to buy from their new store???? Hahaha never happening.

Top Bottom