• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct Season 3 |OT| Super Microsoft All-Star Bros for Xbox One & Windows 10

ScOULaris

At least Killer Instinct is a good game. ;)
Both good games, but one actually has working matchmaking right now.

This isn't about saying one game is better than the other. I was loving KI's matchmaking before the reset. It's just unfortunate to have new players coming into Season 3 of KI like this with broken matchmaking for the moment. I want KI's audience to grow, and this could definitely scare away people who don't understand why it's happening.

I'll definitely wait for the ranks to even out, but you can bet there are new players out there who won't.

Doikor

Both good games, but one actually has working matchmaking right now.

This is highly debatable. For whatever reason SF5 cannot work properly behind my nat. Takes a bit over 5 minutes to find a single match. (also +5 points for a win and -100 for a loss sucks big time)

ScOULaris

It takes forever to rank up in leagues now.

First ranking system was still the best IMO

It felt fine before the reset. When I first got the game, I was placed in Bronze where I belonged. I had like a 75% win rate, so I quickly moved up to Silver within a day. By the second or third day I was almost to Gold League.

But now after the reset I'm stuck in Bronze getting triple-Ultra'ed by every other person I face because they are clearly belonging to a higher rank but got re-qualified down in Bronze.

I think the current league system works well when the qualifying system works as it should.

zoodoo

At least SFV has a working Ranked system. ;)

Which is why I guess I'll go back to SFV until this sorts itself out.

Whats wrong with playing with top players? You learn a ton that way. Loosing is part of the game.

I dont get why people give so much importance to the ranking system. In 5 weeks it will reset again.

Jinaar

I played ranked all afternoon yesterday, my first toe tip into it and I have no problems.

I'm sitting in Bronze with a 50/50 split wins/losses.

If I am getting matched against higher people, the only ones that stand out are the ones that beat me so bad so fast.

But compare this to SFV ranked, where I could be in Shit Bronze and someone in Silver is paired against me. Same sort of shit then.

You just have to suck it up, get defeated, try again.

I have more fun in KI ranked in the end. Still lots to learn and enjoy.

BHK3

Banned
Whats wrong with playing with top players? You learn a ton that way. Loosing is part of the game.

Never understood this sentiment, especially in fighting games. You make one small mistake and you lose 60% of your life. Repeat 2-3 times and the match is over, you didn't learn anything unless you sit there analyzing this 25 second match and the other guy got either +1 point or +100 points depending on his rank.

ScOULaris

Just to clarify, I think KI's League system works very well. It's just the qualification after the reset that is borked.

Before the reset I felt like I was playing increasingly skilled competition as I also improved. But now it's lopsided even all the way down in Bronze.

You don't, but all of the ranks were reset and lots of Gold/Killer players ended up qualifying in Bronze this time.

Oh you're talking about the reset and not an actual demotion. Yeah it's rough. My qualifier was half people who were as clueless as me and the other half I had no business playing. Bronze now feels about right. The first day when I got there I think I lost 10 games straight. Now I'm pulling it back together and I think I'm 50:50

Just opened up Shadow Lab and my progress was completely gone. I think I lost internet access while I was playing it and closed the game. Came back, no points and cumulative points is 0 too. Damn this is annoying

.la1n

It takes forever to rank up in leagues now.

First ranking system is still the best IMO

Agree. Silver is notably a slog to get through compare to the original launch. Not sure I have the motivation to get back to two out of three matches in gold. I have limited time to play games and I don't want to devote the entirety of it grinding something I'm not particularly enjoying to begin with. Also what's with the point loss on a promotion match? Motivation killer if there ever was one.

I think I'll stick to exhibition and locals.

Whats shadow jagos US price? away from my Xbox right now.

Also does anyone know how long he will be available? Im buying the supreme edition at some point, but Im not looking to do so just yet. Guilty gear and MK are taking up most of my time and SFV is in the mail.

I know I can get it anytime but SJAGO might disappear from sale again soon.

ScOULaris

Whats shadow jagos US price? away from my Xbox right now.

Also does anyone know how long he will be available? Im buying the supreme edition at some point, but Im not looking to do so just yet. Guilty gear and MK are taking up most of my mine and SFV is in the mail.

I know I can get it anytime but SJAGO might disappear from sale again soon.
$10, pretty sure.

Never understood this sentiment, especially in fighting games. You make one small mistake and you lose 60% of your life. Repeat 2-3 times and the match is over, you didn't learn anything unless you sit there analyzing this 25 second match and the other guy got either +1 point or +100 points depending on his rank.

If you're new to fighting games you should be going to the dojo, training, arcade, shadow lab, survival, and casual playlist, not ranked. Everybody new to fighting games will most of the time suck it when they first start off. And whether you play in SFV where people has been playing SF for years and years, or in KI with Killer Status youre going to be outmatched. Its important for these players to decide if they want to learn from these losses as so many before has done, or give up.

I've had to go through it as many others have as well.

As for the Killer Status reset, i do agree that it was bad timing with so many new players. I feel it would have been better off if they learned with other new players, however i also believe scoularis is exaggerating, specially considering qualifying is only 10 games then you get placed with all the others noobs. As a person who has played both SFV and KI youre going to get placed against people who outclasses you either way.

I however did post on KI forums that they shouldnt do these resets in the future, so if you want to voice your concerns about it there where the devs can read it go for it.

http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/dont-reset-ranked-for-killers-new-players-mixed-with-veterans/8292

As for my opinion I would say KI is a better game than SFV, and more interesting. I would consider Mortal Kombat X to be the fighter to beat this generation as it offers the whole package. I think KI has better mechanics and online than MKX which is why id consider KI to be better, but MKX's presentation is top notch with a great story which draws in casuals. Its growth in popularity shows.

Keits

Developer
There are no future full-ranking resets planned. The monthly resets are just the scores in the Killer ladder, which is part of the monthly race for Top 32.

Be sure to follow @8BitBeatdown on twitter. The first KI World Cup online qualifier is today, featuring 174 players, and the top 16 is streaming tonight.

There are no future full-ranking resets planned. The monthly resets are just the scores in the Killer ladder, which is part of the monthly race for Top 32.

Be sure to follow @8BitBeatdown on twitter. The first KI World Cup online qualifier is today, featuring 174 players, and the top 16 is streaming tonight.

Thanks Kiets :D

Can't wait to see S3's first real tournament. Lets get this party started xD

iRQLCqn.gif

Wait, you're one of the devs for this game?

I must chime in something... I actually found the game fun to play, especially for a newcomer to "real" fighting games! Thanks for making it accessible.

Wait, you're one of the devs for this game?

I must chime in something... I actually found the game fun to play, especially for a newcomer to "real" fighting games! Thanks for making it accessible.

Likewise. Even though I can't actually play fighting games outside of Smash Bros. worth shit, what I've gone through in the Dojo so far has been very informative and forgiving.

ScOULaris

Despite my current saltiness over the rank reset, I do want you and the team at IG to know how much I'm enjoying the game. I've wanted to get into it for years now, and thanks to the phenomenal PC release I finally can. I got the Supreme Edition + Shadow Jago, and it has been money well spent. I hope Season 3 heralds a huge boom in KI's popularity both online and in the competitive circuit. Great job to everyone involved.

Coda

I wish I could play online. It's weird I pretty much get a 600 in the performance test, my computers specs are smack dab in the middle of the minimum and recommended settings. The game seems to run fine unless a lot of Shadow canceling is happening.

The game says I can only play Exhibition and Lobby modes online and then when I try to do one of those types of matches online the game says I'm not allowed to. All my graphics settings are down, what else can I do?

NEO0MJ

Why doesn't Shadow Jago get to have any new toys :(?

I wish I could play online. It's weird I pretty much get a 600 in the performance test, my computers specs are smack dab in the middle of the minimum and recommended settings. The game seems to run fine unless a lot of Shadow canceling is happening.

The game says I can only play Exhibition and Lobby modes online and then when I try to do one of those types of matches online the game says I'm not allowed to. All my graphics settings are down, what else can I do?

What are your exact specs? Is it a laptop? Drivers?

For the record, it runs fine on an i7-4700HQ (treat it as if it were a desktop i5 performance-wise) and a GTX 760M (kind of like any of the following: AMD's HD 5750, HD 7730, R7 250, NVIDIA GT 640, Intel Iris Graphics 540, GTS 450, the like.)

Oh snap, it's Keits. Congrats on the another major content push and it's good to get a PC version finally. I've been waiting to buy this forever.

I played around a bit more with Shadow Lab it seems like shadow point progress disappears every time I turn off the game. Ah well. Pretty cool mode otherwise. My shadow played pretty similarly to I do, mirror was super spooky. Only problem with it was it barely ever finished combos smh

NEO0MJ

What are your pc's specs?

petran79

Banned
If you're new to fighting games you should be going to the dojo, training, arcade, shadow lab, survival, and casual playlist, not ranked. Everybody new to fighting games will most of the time suck it when they first start off. And whether you play in SFV where people has been playing SF for years and years, or in KI with Killer Status youre going to be outmatched. Its important for these players to decide if they want to learn from these losses as so many before has done, or give up.

I've had to go through it as many others have as well.

As for the Killer Status reset, i do agree that it was bad timing with so many new players. I feel it would have been better off if they learned with other new players, however i also believe scoularis is exaggerating, specially considering qualifying is only 10 games then you get placed with all the others noobs. As a person who has played both SFV and KI youre going to get placed against people who outclasses you either way.

I however did post on KI forums that they shouldnt do these resets in the future, so if you want to voice your concerns about it there where the devs can read it go for it.

http://forums.ultra-combo.com/t/dont-reset-ranked-for-killers-new-players-mixed-with-veterans/8292

As for my opinion I would say KI is a better game than SFV, and more interesting. I would consider Mortal Kombat X to be the fighter to beat this generation as it offers the whole package. I think KI has better mechanics and online than MKX which is why id consider KI to be better, but MKX's presentation is top notch with a great story which draws in casuals. Its growth in popularity shows.

I'd also add GGXrd to the list, even if it is inferior to R+.
There the chasm between good players and newcomers is far greater than any game. Game has infinite mechanics for both ground and air.

Keits

Developer
Why doesn't Shadow Jago get to have any new toys :(?

Because he was added to the game in November, after the first pass of rebalance was already done in the studio. He didn't get 'new toys' for the same reason Kim, Arbiter, and Tusk didnt. He was already balanced and created for Season 3 gameplay.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The qualifying system was always weird. I got placed in bronze before the reset and destroyed basically everyone until I got well into gold.

NEO0MJ

I'd also add GGXrd to the list, even if it is inferior to R+.
There the chasm between good players and newcomers is far greater than any game. Game has infinite mechanics for both ground and air.

Plus GG has a lot of bars to monitor.

Because he was added to the game in November, after the first pass of rebalance was already done in the studio. He didn't get 'new toys' for the same reason Kim, Arbiter, and Tusk didnt. He was already balanced and created for Season 3 gameplay.

Thanks for the reply! I didn't think you'd dignify my post with a reply to be honest. Good luck with the rest of the season.

Top Bottom