• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLER TOPIC - Katana/Dreamcast Scud Race / Super GT demo from 1997/1998. DROOL!!!!

GigaDrive

Banned
this is probably going to be one of my favorite threads.

many of you remember that a short DEMO of Sega's Model 3 racing game, Scud Race(r) aka Super GT was made for and shown on Katana development kits. it was the Set or Step 2.1 kit, and I think this had something like 40% of the power/speed of the final Dreamcast hardware. or maybe that was Set/Step 4, I don't really know for certain. Set/Step 5 was the final hardware I believe. but regardless, the Scud Race / Super GT demo was produced on *something* LESS than final Dreamcast hardware. edit: the demo is running on PowerVR ARC1, the prototype and arcade version of PowerVR2, which is weaker/slower than the PowerVR2DC aka CLX2 used in Dreamcast and NAOMI.

with out further delay here it is:

http://jollyrogerdev.ath.cx/Set2_1/Set2_1.html

Set2_Test2_t.jpg

Set2_Test3_t.jpg

Set2_Test4_t.jpg

Set2_Test5_t.jpg

Set2_Test6_t.jpg

Set2_Test7_t.jpg

there are also 2 videos of this demo but I have yet to see them as they are loading very slowly.

would be sweet to have a home version of Scud Racer/SuperGT..

that game rocked, I actually enjoyed it more than daytona 2 in my brief arcade play of both...

XS+

Banned
That looks freakin awesome, even with filtering turned off. I've seen DC do a great job of reproducing Model 3 graphics (VOOT, a Model 3 Step 2 game iirc), I'm sure an early Model 3 game like SCUD Race would have looked gorgeous on DC.

GigaDrive

Banned
yeah concidering this demo is running on hardware that is most likely less than half as powerful as the Dreamcast, imagine if AM2 / Amusement Vision had spent a year to 18 months porting Super GT / Scud Race to the full Dreamcast, using not WinCE but the lower level Sega graphics libraries, releasing it in 1999. the Dreamcast could easily rival Model 3 in most areas, especially the Step 1.5 Model 3 that Scud Race / Super GT used.

look how decent (not awesome, but decent) Sega Rally 2 is on Dreamcast. it was a Step 2.0 Model 3 arcade game, converted to Dreamcast in a matter of months, a rushed job, using the shitty WinCE OS instead of Sega's Ninja or Dragon API / OS / Library (whatever Sega's low level API/OS/libraries were)....

even though this demo is not on par with the arcade, its an early demo coded up in a matter of weeks supposedly. imagine a year or more of time spent on a complete port to final Dreamcast hardware..... sigh!

Ryo

Is there supposed to be pictures in this thread? If so (and I do think so) someone host them! I'm not seeing anything and I am on a freaking 100mb line here.

Vibri

Banned
Sega had the Scud Race demo running on DC at TGS, can't remember which year but it was the same one where they debuted DC. Looked pretty good if I remember.

aoi tsuki

The site is likely getting hammered, epsecially with everyone direct linking vids. If the pics ever come up for me, i'm PDFing this page.

GigaDrive

Banned
Sega had the Scud Race demo running on DC at TGS, can't remember which year but it was the same one where they debuted DC. Looked pretty good if I remember

well i think that would have been spring TGS 1998. I think the demo was coded in late 1997 as i remember reading about it then. google it to confirm.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh man, that looks good. turn on texture filtering and it'd already be one of the better model 3 ports...bet it would've been really close on final hardware. shame they never bothered porting it. :(

GigaDrive

Banned
related article (not related to the source of the Scud Racer pictures but its on the same subject)

http://www.pczone.co.uk/news/news_story.php?id=8991

Sega have commissioned a series of demos to show off the power of the Katana, including a short rendition of Scud Race running on the new hardware. The demo shows the Ferrari F50 from the game speeding around the small oval track introduced in the coin-op pseudo-sequel Scud Race Plus. Multiple camera angles are employed to show the car's progress around the track and the flexibility of the 3D engine. Minus a few effects (this demo was originally written for the incomplete development kit), the demo runs at the same frame rate and resolution as the arcade game. It's conclusive proof that Katana "does" Model 3. And that's pre-first generation software knocked up in a couple of weeks! Says our spy, "Katana's the first system that will match or even out-perform contemporary arcade hardware. Think out it: Megadrive conversions were some way off their arcade counterparts (Super Monaco GP) and we all remember the graphical compromises of Daytona USA on Saturn. This new system actually leap-frogs ahead of Model 3 in many important areas of the specification and as far I know, that's a first"

jett

D-Member
You can see the pictures at the "alternate" forum. :p Looks similiar to the arcade original, which in turn means that it really doesn't look impressive at all. ; )

GigaDrive

Banned
yeah well the arcade Scud Race / Super GT came out in 1997, it was only the 2nd Model 3 game made. it was damn impressive for 1997-1998. what is more impressive is the fact that the Katana demo version was running on hardware that was a fraction of what the final Dreamcast was.

I can see the pics now and am downloading the films. Taking forever though...

GigaDrive, just wanted to say that you are becoming my favorite poster!

GigaDrive

Banned
thanks dude (and you're welcome) i just try to find "the whoa that's cool!" stuff, and share.

especially stuff that many of us have heard about, but never actually got to SEE :)

GigaDrive

Banned
i am, again, attempting to download the vids. everytime i've tried, it disconnects from the server or times out, or whateverthef it does......downloading the Scud Race demo is currently 3 hrs+ .... im on cable too.

I managed to get the demo featuring both cars going down a stretch of road, with the camera circling. Even though it's not much, its still extremely impressive! I'm trying to nab the next one, but I don't think I'll have much luck. :(

Saw the race track vid.... that's really nice! Aside from the pop up and small details, it's really awesome looking (I'm still keeping in mind how quick these demos were put together).

GigaDrive

Banned
kewl, thanks guys.

now that I've finally seen it in motion, knowing it was 60fps, even though the video is less than 30fps, and knowing that this demo runs on Set 2.1 katana dev-kit which has something like 1/3 the speed/power of Dreamcast, I am fairly impressed. it's not mind blowing or anything, but damn impressive for something knocked up in a few weeks on very very incomplete hardware. btw, it doesnt even use the Hitach SH4 CPU at all, it runs on a PC, so in 1997, that would be a Pentium II most likely. Pentium IIs have far lower FP performance than an SH4. something like 1/4 - so all in all, Dreamcast could have done an exellent Scud Race with say 12-16 months development time.

ourumov

Dreamcast had 1.4GFLOPS...
IIRC, PII never had SSE and they were maximum-clocked at 450 Mhz which gives us:

450*2=0.9 GFLOPS (not really GFLOPS since MMX is fixed point)

or just .45 GFOPS if we just consider the FPU.

ourumov

Just seen the videos and it's fairly impressing. Cars feature a nice multi-texturing and the real time lightning rocks :) .

Ryo

And via Game Critics comes a look into the minds of the booth babes of E3. Best response regarding how it feels to pose for so many sweaty (and horny) fan boys was easily:

“It’s weird when they put their arms around me,” she replies…"but then I feel them shaking and I’m like, whatever, if it’s so important to you . . . it’s funny when guys come up to me and tell me that it’s their first time touching a girl.”.
from the FortNinety's site. .. totally sad

GigaDrive

Banned
Scud Racer could've been completely ported over, with enhancements, maybe not in time for Dreamcast's late Nov 1998 launch in Japan, but certainly in time for Dreamcast's 9/9/99 launch in the USA.

BeOnEdge

Banned
since the code is obviously partially ported, maybe we'll see a home port as part of a compilation one day. unless EA still has the porsche liscence. bastards.

Top Bottom