• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most technically-advanced game for each year

Hux1ey

Banned
Inspired by this thread I went back and booted up Crysis for the first time in a while. Still looks damn good in vanilla form.

crysis46rqa3.jpg

crysis-04.22.2017---0mwpvq.jpg

crysis-04.22.2017---0wepag.jpg

crysis-04.22.2017---0vfqle.jpg

Sorry tortoise..

trugc

And scaling based on polygon size is also not very unusual. I have worked with different solutions for that too.
Really? I remenber I first saw such thing in Ryse.
LOD selection based on average triangle size gives the extra benefits of reducing aliasing, and it's not something people quite care about until this gen.

jdstorm

Banned
Just wanted to chime in about 2016. I know a great many people have issues with it, but No Man's Sky deserves the title as 2016's most impressive game. Seeing 8K and 16K screenshots of that game are truely something amazing.

Snefer

Really? I remenber I first saw such thing in Ryse.
LOD selection based on average triangle size gives the extra benefits of reducing aliasing, and it's not something people quite care about until this gen.

Well, thats not something an end user would ever notice, impossible to notice WHY its scaling. Some engines just outright skip rendering small triangles for example. Reducing aliasing is not the only reason, its also for shading reasons. Small triangles are very inefficient, its just not the number of them that counts.

edit: for people who like to read about such things: https://www.g-truc.net/post-0662.html

HTupolev

I actually thought Killzone 2 was much more impressive.

Their rendering of metals and post processing effects were ridiculous.
Really? It works fine for the style, but material and reflection model seems technically about the least interesting aspect of KZ2's graphics.

As far as I can tell from the game and their presentations, metals are no different than dielectrics (with parameters just being roughness and intensity), and the BRDF is phong-based.

It doesn't seem like anything special for 2009.

Makai

Just wanted to chime in about 2016. I know a great many people have issues with it, but No Man's Sky deserves the title as 2016's most impressive game. Seeing 8K and 16K screenshots of that game are truely something amazing.
I agree. The procedural generation is far beyond what anyone else has accomplished.

renzolama

It's absolutely not, it's using modded cvars, compared to default there are changes to lighting, gun model, higher foliage density to name a few..All these make for a very noticeable difference compared to vanilla base game. It's also a custom map built to excessively show heavy amount of detail and density, the base game comes nowhere near this sort of density.

You can make an argument that at the end of the day it's still using stock engine but I'm pretty sure if people had tools to make maps for other games those games too would end up with maps that are more detailed than base game. Still it does not discount the fact that it's using modded cvars.

Point being if you play Crysis on stock v.high it won't look like that.

Whoa, somebody changed the config settings and created a map to showcase the graphics fidelity that the engine is capable of? You're right, that totally disqualifies it, it might as well be pre-rendered and photoshopped.

Edit: Eh sorry for the unnecessary snark, but come on, what a weird aggressively pedantic response that was.

Whoa, somebody changed the config settings and created a map to showcase the graphics fidelity that the engine is capable of? You're right, that totally disqualifies it, it might as well be pre-rendered and photoshopped.
Hrmm since the topic is most technically advanced game, I think that would somewhat disqualify it. If it was most technically advanced implementation of an engine, then it would make sense.

I also think you're reading too much aggressiveness into their post. :)

anothertech

Can star citizen count when it's not released for another few years?
Nah. Can't use modded shit and say it's in game shots now, be real ;)

nOoblet16

Edit: Eh sorry for the unnecessary snark, but come on, what a weird aggressively pedantic response that was.
I'm the one being aggressive here? Like what? I wasn't even responding to you in that post.

Point is, it's not what the game looks like at stock settings OR during any level. If you are going to talk about how the game looks with modded cvars and custom maps because "the engine is capable of it" then that's fine but it does not mean this is how the game will look if you were to load up a random mission from Crysis and turn up the settings to V. high the game. The config settings has pretty big effect on the graphics and it's not just "some config settings" considering just how much you can change in the cvars.

Most if not all games can do a lot more than what you see because the engine is capable of doing a lot more. It's just that those games won't allow you to change configs as much as Crysis. As such we have to draw a baseline when comparing one technology a to another and that baseline is stock engine with stock settings. For example, Uncharted 4 has issues with its shadows and motion blur but I'm sure the engine is capable of having better implementation of those, but that does not mean we can't say that the implementation as seen in the base game is poor. Or how about downsampled shots for games? At the end of the day the engine is capable of doing that but you won't pass it off as an accurate representation of what the game is like now would you?

And please read my post again, especially this part. Nothing you say is something that I already didn't mention in my post.

You can make an argument that at the end of the day it's still using stock engine but I'm pretty sure if people had tools to make maps for other games those games too would end up with maps that are more detailed than base game. Still it does not discount the fact that it's using modded cvars.

Top Bottom