• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Public Beta email recieved

mr_nothin

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
Four years? Then it would've started development right when Jak II was released. :lol

Uncharted was announced with a CGI trailer at E306, and they probably started development a bit before Jak X Combat was released, around the end of 2005.
Sorry 2 years...my memory didnt serve me right. That was another game

Raistlin

makingmusic476 said:
lol, what's so crazy?

Assuming it will be a low-point of all Sony-released titles is crazy IMO. You're hand-picking specific titles that may, or may not look better ... but there will be a lot of Sony titles released next year, many of which will obviously be below KZ2

We know Uncharted 2 will look absolutely spectacular at the end of next year, and God of War III will have the benefit of smaller environments with a guided camera to make it look really good compared to Killzone 2. God of War II looked absolutely stunning compared to other ps2 games because of this, and the same will hold true for God of War III.

Two things, first there's art. Part of the reason KZ2 looks as good as it does is based on its art design, which is not only very good, but very consistent. Secondly, many of the effects they've put into their engine were made specifically for what the art team wanted. There is no way to know if those other games will necessarily best KZ2 in art direction, and we also have no idea if they will have as many effects, etc. built custom for what their art team is trying to accomplish.

Second, you are assuming that technical prowess on one system guarantees technical prowess on another. That is not true, not only in terms of code efficiency, but as well as with resource utilization (that latter is a bit of a mixture of art and prowess). Example, Tekken Tag Tournament used something like 10,000+ polys per model. Later fighting games had models that looked as good utilizing far less. Similar obvious examples exist for car models.

While there may be examples of teams making the jump (ND has been quite consistent), there are in fact more that do not in one or the other areas, if not both. And even more that don't do it on their first few iterations.

Specifically regarding one of the titles you cite, GoW II was their second in the series, and was utilizing an engine they were perfecting for years (Kinetica).

Clinton514 said:
I'm sure I as well as others have mentioned that it's not completely out of the ordinary to see a game being dev'd for 4 years.

Especially considering that they were still shifting teams from Killzone Liberation and the DLC chapter at the time they started working on KZ2.
Well, we were talking about Uncharted, but in regards to Killzone 2, I thought they hadn't really begun development until well after the target render was released?

Hell, wasn't Liberation announced after Killzone 2?

I mean, KZ2 was announced at E305, and KZL came out at the end of 2006, with the DLC hitting like six months later. At best, they had a team working on concepts throughout 2005 and early 2006, which would explain things like why the Corinth River stage from the original trailer is so vastly different from the one in the final game.

I seem to recall GG mentioning a three year development cycle in an interview back at E3, which would fit right in with this timeline.

Raistlin

What's unclear is when they started working on tools, techniques, etc. Its possible that was before development for the game proper began. Who knows though.

Onix said:
Assuming it will be a low-point of all Sony-released titles is crazy IMO. You're hand-picking specific titles that may, or may not look better ... but there will be a lot of Sony titles released next year, many of which will obviously be below KZ2

Two things, first there's art. Part of the reason KZ2 looks as good as it does is based on its art design, which is not only very good, but very consistent. Secondly, many of the effects they've put into their engine were made specifically for what the art team wanted. There is no way to know if those other games will necessarily best KZ2 in art direction, and we also have no idea if they will have as many effects, etc. built custom for what their art team is trying to accomplish.

Second, you are assuming that technical prowess on one system guarantees technical prowess on another. That is not true, not only in terms of code efficiency, but as well as with resource utilization (that latter is a bit of a mixture of art and prowess). Example, Tekken Tag Tournament used something like 10,000+ polys per model. Later fighting games had models that looked as good utilizing far less. Similar obvious examples exist for car models.

While there may be examples of teams making the jump (ND has been quite consistent), there are in fact more that do not in one or the other areas, if not both. And even more that don't do it on their first few iterations.

Specifically regarding one of the titles you cite, GoW II was their second in the series, and was utilizing an engine they were perfecting for years (Kinetica).
Meh. I believe Uncharted 2 and God of War III will look spectacular at the end of next year. You can disagree if you want, lol.

And I'm sure Sony's other internal titles will look great as well. We already know GT looks great. Then there's Trico, etc.

Kittonwy

Banned
Fizzle said:
You guy's should stop talking about Uncharted 2.

The level's of awesomeness will break down GAF again.

Did someone mention UNCHARTED 2!!!222!!!
angry.gif
???

Raistlin

makingmusic476 said:
Meh. I believe Uncharted 2 and God of War III will look spectacular at the end of next year. You can disagree if you want, lol.

Did I say they won't look spectacular? I'll be more than happy if they do best KZ2, but that isn't what I've been arguing.

Your statement does seem to indicate an all-or-nothing viewpoint. Does a game have to best KZ2 to be considered spectacular now? That's setting the bar a bit high. Might as well say everything sucks unless its the best :p

And I'm sure Sony's other internal titles will look great as well. We already know GT looks great. Then there's Trico, etc.

I'm sure they'll look fine. Will they look better? Who knows. That doesn't change the fact Sony has several other titles coming out, including ones we may not even know about.

I just don't know how you can state you think KZ2 will be the graphical 'low-point' of all Sony releases next year with anything approaching sincerity. If that's how you feel, then fine, we probably shouldn't be derailing this thread any further anyway. It just seems (insanely to be honest) hyperbolic to me.

Fizzle

I see the word Sony/Internal Title's.....

But seriously, sorry to de-rail the thread again, but what company affiliated with sony haven't we heard from yet, despite the obvious Team ICO and R* Exclusive.

I've been thinking very hard who could of made that BBC game. *insert Kittonwy's frown*

Clinton514

makingmusic476 said:
Well, we were talking about Uncharted, but in regards to Killzone 2, I thought they hadn't really begun development until well after the target render was released?

Hell, wasn't Liberation announced after Killzone 2?

I mean, KZ2 was announced at E305, and KZL came out at the end of 2006, with the DLC hitting like six months later. At best, they had a team working on concepts throughout 2005 and early 2006, which would explain things like why the Corinth River stage from the original trailer is so vastly different from the one in the final game.

I seem to recall GG mentioning a three year development cycle in an interview back at E3, which would fit right in with this timeline.
Something like that but...I specifically remember fans on the PlayStation forums getting pissy about Liberation because it wasn't a PS2 sequel.

So KZ2 was announced shortly after in `05. I can't remember the exact date, but Liberation was announced around the time Sony acquired GG.

@fizzle:

As far as internal studios are concerned, I'm sure Sony Liverpool has been working on something aside from WipEout HD since F1:CE was released way back in 2006 (could be that rumored third person action game "The Protector"). And I'm sure SCEJ is working on something besides firmware and Trico. And we have to actually SEE Trico at some point. And Sony London might still be working on a hardcore title for us, though who knows what it could be. And then there's Evolution's subsidiary, BigBig Studios, that hasn't announced a thing in quite some time.

As far as Sony's second parties are concerned, we still haven't seen Eat Sleep Play's ps3 project (though it's basically confirmed to be a new Twisted Metal).

@onix:

Agreed. :D

Fizzle

makingmusic476 said:
@fizzle:

As far as internal studios are concerned, I'm sure Sony Liverpool has been working on something aside from WipEout HD since F1:CE was released way back in 2006 (could be that rumored third person action game "The Protector"). And I'm sure SCEJ is working on something besides firmware and Trico. And we have to actually SEE Trico at some point. And Sony London might still be working on a hardcore title for us, though who knows what it could be. And then there's Evolution's subsidiary, BigBig Studios, that hasn't announced a thing in quite some time.

As far as Sony's second parties are concerned, we still haven't seen Eat Sleep Play's ps3 project (though it's basically confirmed to be a new Twisted Metal).

@onix:

Ohhh.

It's BigBig Studio's maybe.

lunlunqq

AzerPhire said:
I really don't like the delayed death animations in this game. It really throws the game off especially considering how amazing everything else looks.

yeah, that's a major problem they have to fix before release.

Halvie

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
@fizzle:

@onix:

After reading this post does anyone get the feeling that this gen is going to last a lot longer than a lot of people expect?

iceatcs

AzerPhire said:
I really don't like the delayed death animations in this game. It really throws the game off especially considering how amazing everything else looks.
What I have seen all the videos, there are some delayed, few really bad but some fine.
I suspect it is not really dead yet but dying for while over medic purpose that you can do Medic class to heal the dying.
But I hoping they will fix tweak it to less delay when falling.

Anyway nice gifs

Fizzle

Halvie said:
After reading this post does anyone get the feeling that this gen is going to last a lot longer than a lot of people expect?

Yeah!

I mean PSN and XBL just gave this gen very very long legs.

Raistlin

Halvie said:

in before 10 ... DAMNIT!!

Anyway, it is certainly Sony's hope to extend the gen longer than last. The question is whether market conditions will allow it.

Blader

Halvie said:

I hope so. I do not want to buy new consoles again in 3 years.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
The delayed death animations i think allow for you to kill the person who is killing you. Because you get more points if you kill them as they kill you.

Fizzle

bbyybb said:
The delayed death animations i think allow for you to kill the person who is killing you. Because you get more points if you kill them as they kill you.

Oh cool. Maybe a death from the grave kinda thing.

I can't get over how good the image quality is, this wouldn't look out of place on the highest end PC's

You think we'll see a KZ3 for the PS4?

mr_nothin said:
Isn't that the goal of just about every game though?
I mean, Uncharted was in dev for like 4 years right?

Bang on 2 years i think, it had a modest budget as well IIRC. (as far as these hd console games go atleast)

Halvie said:

Nope, not with the way PS3 has bled money and with the wii printing it, i have a feeling the ps4 will come around pretty quickly. Revised cell, more efficient GPU, small form factor and "cheap". And they'll prolly try to get it out before MS's new console to regain market share.

Halvie

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Nope, not with the way PS3 has bled money and with the wii printing it, i have a feeling the ps4 will come around pretty quickly. Revised cell, more efficient GPU, small form factor and "cheap". And they'll prolly try to get it out before MS's new console to regain market share.

Are they that worried about price seeing that they are releasing a freaking $499 bundle for X-Mas? ....assuming it is official and not just retailer specific.

Schrade

bbyybb said:
I end up doing that a lot. Makes me mad dying but makes me smile when I see the guy who killed me got killed by me too.

Onix said:
in before 10 ... DAMNIT!!

Anyway, it is certainly Sony's hope to extend the gen longer than last. The question is whether market conditions will allow it.

With the success of the Wii as basically a repackaged gamecube, I think the market has clearly spoken...

icechai

bbyybb said:

death animation seems pretty natural, fits with the pace of the game. And considering headshots are 1 hit kills, just headshot people if you don't want to get killed by someone dying right? :p

I hope GG immediately starts work on a Killzone 3, or a game that takes place in the Killzone universe but applies an open world RPG setting to a FPS with great cinematics.

fizzelopeguss said:

So bleeding money means they will bleed more by releasing a PS4? Doesn't work that way.

Sony isn't that stupid. They're not going to repackage the PS4 as a PS3; they'll just relaunch the PS3 in a slimmer form.

It makes zero sense to do what you just said. Not everyone could emulate the Wii's success.

DCharlie

Banned
With the success of the Wii as basically a repackaged gamecube, I think the market has clearly spoken...

i think the market (casual) gamers spoke and said they liked the new way of interaction.
It may end up that MS/Sony have to decide whether they will aim for the power angle or for the controller angle (or a little of both)

Would Sony/MS rather duke it out with each other again, or try and get in on Nintendo's new market? I'm not sure it's any easier for Sony/MS. God only knows what fruity idea N will do next!

Killzone: :O the graphics - yeah, i'm definitely saying the TGS demo was EARLY because these vids look light years ahead of what was on show.

Grayman

fizzelopeguss said:
I can't get over how good the image quality is, this wouldn't look out of place on the highest end PC's

You think we'll see a KZ3 for the PS4?

Bang on 2 years i think, it had a modest budget as well IIRC. (as far as these hd console games go atleast)
I think GG will do another PS3 game so that they can reuse their work and expertise gained specifically from KZ2. They will spend 1-2 years instead of 4 for the next one. I think they would do another Killzone game instead of a new franchise when they do that.

Private Hoffman said:
It makes zero sense to do what you just said. Not everyone could emulate the Wii's success.

Judging by the xbox avatars and sony's break apart controller, they're certaintly gonna try. :lol

Sony's still a hardware company at it's heart, the ps4 will be powerfull, i just don't expect it to be filled with cutting edge bizarre tech like the ps3 is.

We are definitely not going to see KZ3 on PS4, you really think they are just going to let that engine go to waste?

Like I said, I want a proper Socom sequel by Sony Bend or Zipper using this engine.

ChryZ

TTP said:
Yeah, it's kinda odd. I'm in the beta since phase 2, played it a lot and I still do click on those vids links. And look at them from start to finish. Game is THAT good looking.
HAHA, I'm doing the same thing. You miss so much stuff when you actually focused on playing and winning. Well, "miss" sounds a bit off. It's all feeding the immersion, but more on a subconscious level. It's pretty much one big blur of awesome when you're playing it.

ChryZ said:
HAHA, I'm doing the same thing. You miss so much stuff when you actually focused on playing and winning. Well, "miss" sounds a bit off. It's all feeding the immersion, but more on a subconscious level. It's pretty much one big blur of awesome when you're playing it.
well with me; I always get killed because Im distracted looking at all the awesome... and sometimes analyzing which tv settings make it look the best.

fanboi

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
GoW is great, but I prefer uncharted somewhat...mainly because of the far superior storytelling

I agree and disagree.

Uncharted story better.
GeOW little edge in the gameplay.

R2 is still one of the best SP experience I have had this gen ;)

Needless to say, this gen has provided some very very good new IP.

DCharlie said:
i think the market (casual) gamers spoke and said they liked the new way of interaction.
It may end up that MS/Sony have to decide whether they will aim for the power angle or for the controller angle (or a little of both)

Would Sony/MS rather duke it out with each other again, or try and get in on Nintendo's new market? I'm not sure it's any easier for Sony/MS. God only knows what fruity idea N will do next!

Killzone: :O the graphics - yeah, i'm definitely saying the TGS demo was EARLY because these vids look light years ahead of what was on show.

I have a feeling that Nintendo is going to go too far and mess up like they did with Wii Music. The Wii, and Wii Sports for comparison sake, are the traditional game systems, only with new inputs for them. Wii Music went too far into being a toy, and worst of all, they seemed proud of it. Maybe that is the direciton they want to go -- an electronic toy box.

ChryZ

liquidspeed said:
well with me; I always get killed because Im distracted looking at all the awesome
This still happens to me after all those hours with the beta:

OMG the muzzle flash of this dude's gun is lighting up the whole room, WOAH it casts his shade to the wall behind him, WHOOPS I'm dead because he was actually shooting ME. :lol

mr_nothin

Banned
ChryZ said:
This still happens to me after all those hours with the beta:

OMG the muzzle flash of this dude's gun is lighting up the whole room, WOAH it casts his shade to the wall behind him, WHOOPS I'm dead because he was actually shooting ME. :lol
:lol
I know what you mean.
And the way the walls look, when they're lit up by the gunfire, is like :O
The way the bump mapping looks on the ground and walls and everything, when you see somebody firing their gun, is amazing. There's some type of paralax mapping on the ground also, the way the rocks on the ground look..it doesnt seem like regular ole bump mapping.

Also, it seems like just about every surface has some type of shader effect on it. Well at least on the courtyard map. I love the way the shaders look :D

Top Bottom