• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Public Beta email recieved

Kittonwy

Banned
Dante said:
I saw a certain Kitton on my friend list playing :)

At the same time I feel like the only one missing out :(

KlintIndifference.gif

kenta

Has no PEINS
Totally had an off-night tonight, but managed to play some fun one-on-one with a cool dude so it was all good

The first game I joined was glitched or something. I saw a dude kneeling, sitting still, so I walked up and unloaded all 8 shotgun blasts into him and he was still standing. Then I got disconnected with some random error message I've never seen

I am getting fewer and fewer 10002's though

StuBurns

Banned
It's killing me not being in there as well. I got to play the SP a little, now it's taken away from me. It's horrible.

I honestly don't know how gaming press can handle that, little hands-on time, then have it taken away from you for months, then a little more teasing, then months of nothing. It must be awful when you really want a game.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Holy crap, I just had a vision!

God of War III running on the Killzone 2 engine....

And my pants could not contain the juices that flowed....

neorej

ERMYGERD!
stuburns said:
It's killing me not being in there as well. I got to play the SP a little, now it's taken away from me. It's horrible.

I honestly don't know how gaming press can handle that, little hands-on time, then have it taken away from you for months, then a little more teasing, then months of nothing. It must be awful when you really want a game.

yeah it's hard, I got to play Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted in july last year....

neorej

ERMYGERD!
acm2000 said:
dunno if this was posted anywhere http://www.digitalfoundry.org/blog/?p=138 holy crap its horrible in 1080p mode, sony really missed the the last bus with the upscaling in the ps3 -_-

Erm, I think the upscaling issue is game-related, since playing God Of War 2 upscaled is like sucking on your favourite titty and DVDs are being upscaled very decently as well, in fact I read several test a couple of months ago that showed the PS3 as the best movie-upscaler on the market of Blu-Ray/DVD-players.

Grayman

If I was playing with Duckroll from here,
Sorry about the team kills. I blame lag on at least one of them. I saw you enter my screen from the side immediately stopped firing but you still dropped dead.

acm2000

neorej said:
Erm, I think the upscaling issue is game-related, since playing God Of War 2 upscaled is like sucking on your favourite titty and DVDs are being upscaled very decently as well, in fact I read several test a couple of months ago that showed the PS3 as the best movie-upscaler on the market of Blu-Ray/DVD-players.

GoW2 is a ps2 game, which is specifically upscaled, ps3 game upscaling is that horrible horizontal only bollocks, which blurs an already blurry game (2xQAA, but intentional motion blur etc) even further and ruins it

FirewalkR

Mostly OT:

neorej said:
Holy crap, I just had a vision!

God of War III running on the Killzone 2 engine....

And my pants could not contain the juices that flowed....

All you need to imagine is the teaser trailer of a while ago, but this time after the close-up on Kratos' eyes, all of a sudden the camera pans out, you're given control and start going down that mountain, unleashing justice. Oh, obviously the visual quality is constant throughout the teaser and the gameplay.

Now, dreaming aside, I saw people talking about Uncharted 2 (calm down Kitton). Quick, EVERYONE start harassing arne right now so we can get a sneak preview!!

StuBurns

Banned
I actually don't expect that much of Uncharted 2. GOW3 on the other hand, I think visually it's going to be insane. Sony SM are working with GG on KZ2 tech. So some shared tech isn't going to surprise me.

stuburns said:
I actually don't expect that much of Uncharted 2. GOW3 on the other hand, I think visually it's going to be insane. Sony SM are working with GG on KZ2 tech. So some shared tech isn't going to surprise me.

I think Uncharted 2 will be a decent improvement, but it may suffer some people thinking it looks similar to the first. Sort of like Gears 2.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Wollan said:
Uncharted 2 will have the wildest improvement.
The improvement between Jak 1 & 2 was huuuge.
Uncharted 2 .... everytime i read that... i smile.
Uncharted is one of my favourite games ever. I hope that they are planning a 2009 release. And bring back Elena !

Private Hoffman said:
I think Uncharted 2 will be a decent improvement, but it may suffer some people thinking it looks similar to the first. Sort of like Gears 2.
i'll be fine with a such a leap. it's pretty noticable imo.

FirewalkR

Wollan said:
Uncharted 2 will have the wildest improvement.
The improvement between Jak 1 & 2 was huuuge.

I'm expecting an R1/R2-like level of improvement.

/dreams

EDIT: that, or same visuals at a smooth 60fps.

/dreams some more

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Kittonwy said:
Hey orange kitten, have you cleaned your PSN friend list ? Adde me so we can play some Resistance 2.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FirewalkR said:
It's a good sign when it impresses someone with your tech knowledge. :)

What's really cool about that is not just the tech, but how it is meaningful to the gameplay. Notice you can reveal/shoot at enemies hidden behind that wall or those pillars. The black wall revealed in that gif is the bottom of a room behind the wall itself. Basically you can drill the wall there. Dunno if I made myself clear. It's very awesome seeing someone hiding there and then going WTF when the world falls apart around him.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
FirewalkR said:
Mostly OT:

All you need to imagine is the teaser trailer of a while ago, but this time after the close-up on Kratos' eyes, all of a sudden the camera pans out, you're given control and start going down that mountain, unleashing justice. Oh, obviously the visual quality is constant throughout the teaser and the gameplay.

Now, dreaming aside, I saw people talking about Uncharted 2 (calm down Kitton). Quick, EVERYONE start harassing arne right now so we can get a sneak preview!!

*off to buy new pants

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TTP said:
What's really cool about that is not just the tech, but how it is meaningful to the gameplay. Notice you can reveal/shoot at enemies hidden behind that wall or those pillars. The black wall revealed in that gif is the bottom of a room behind the wall itself. Basically you can drill the wall there. Dunno if I made myself clear. It's very awesome seeing someone hiding there and then going WTF when the world falls apart around him.

Yes. that makes it go from being just cool looking to awesome :D.

FirewalkR

Ok, I just watched grandmaster's environments video and as far as I'm concerned, Killzone 2's MP (yes, the MP) already looks better than any other console game (except the one in my avatar ;)). It's all SO impressive in motion.

I could only try the beta in an sdtv a few days ago and it was already impressive. I'm stuck with a 56k connection at home but I should be able to play it starting this weekend. Can't wait.

The one thing I didn't care much for was the default controls. I'll try them a bit more but I see myself changing it for some alternate mode.

TTP said:
The black wall revealed in that gif is the bottom of a room behind the wall itself. Basically you can drill the wall there

Hadn't noticed that. :D

StuBurns

Banned
k79 said:
10nvpef.jpg

oh lawd!!!
FUCK... That is not real... I can't believe... I won't.

The motion blur is depth of field sensitive? How is GG completely out classing everyone else to the point of embarrassment? The other picture shows some light warping because of heat that is also insane.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
stuburns said:
FUCK... That is not real... I can't believe... I won't.

The motion blur is depth of field sensitive? How is GG completely out classing everyone else to the point of embarrassment? The other picture shows some light warping because of heat that is also insane.

They're Dutch, for starters, and everyone knows Dutchies rule. :D

Second, they have some insane guys that have been working with the Cell from day one, so they know how to push that baby's buttons. Third, the art-direction for this game is off the hook, that also adds to the incredible experience of the game. You can have great tech, but without decent artwork, it's nothing. I refer to God of War 2 as an excellent example of how tech and art can together form a magnificent team and Fracture as an excellent example of how tech is worthless without proper art-direction.

StuBurns

Banned
Shadow780 said:
Damn these vids and gifs are amazing! I hope they don't rush this game AT ALL, this is some genre re-defining experience...
The thing is, standards rocket really quick. It's going to be like playing PDZ after COD4 or something. It's going to tarnish everything so far.

acm2000

RandomVince said:
I'm going hunting for crows tomorrow. I never thought GG would ever pull this off. Those gifs look insane.

why wouldnt they? theyve worked with cell from day 1, have 110% support from sony etc, only thing that isnt so great is the texturing, but the game chucks about so many effects you dont notice (although i personally dont like the over use of the blur)

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
why wouldnt they? theyve worked with cell from day 1, have 110% support from sony etc, only thing that isnt so great is the texturing, but the game chucks about so many effects you dont notice (although i personally dont like the over use of the blur)
You're insane, the texture work is second to none.

StuBurns

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
I would say Texture is definitely pretty average in KZ2. But all the blur and lightning more than make up for it.
Seriously, who is doing it any better?
killzone-2.jpg

That's a clean screen, no motion blur or anything, it's better than pretty much anything on consoles.

acm2000

stuburns said:
Seriously, who is doing it any better?
killzone-2.jpg

That's a clean screen, no motion blur or anything, it's better than pretty much anything on consoles.

youre joking right? that shot shows the average textures

Crysis is about all...gears and uncharted as well perhaps, but I am not so sure anymore...I am playing gears pc right now by the way, and it looks great...but even the mp here is a pretty damn big step up in tech

The funny thing is though is that only really crysis uses geometry for really fine ground detail...gears doesn't

StuBurns

Banned
nelsonroyale said:
Crysis is about all...gears and uncharted as well perhaps, but I am not so sure anymore...I am playing gears pc right now by the way, and it looks great...but even the mp here is a pretty damn big step up in tech

The funny thing is though is that only really crysis uses geometry for really fine ground detail...gears doesn't
Crysis isn't on console, when you can cram that RAM full of high res textures, it's a huge advantage.

Gears and Uncharted have those really drippy shader'd high res textures that look really good, but the textures themselves aren't really any better.

StuBurns

Banned
acm2000 said:
many games, im not trawling for screenshots, k2 isnt about texture work, its about all the effects they can chuck about
Lots and you can't name one. Shock and Awe.

Uncharted is generally considered top 'dog'.

Uncharted_ruins_explode.jpg

Is it really that good? No.

Top Bottom