• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Public Beta email recieved

stressboy

DevilWillcry said:
Only issue I have with the beta is that the ISA need to have that blue light on their helmets because other wise there are some balancing issues since you can see the Helghast eyes from a mile away and not the ISA lights. Then everyone just wants to play as ISA. It seems like it can be fixed easily enough though.

While the Helghast eyes from a distance is one reason to play as ISA, the main reason I do it is cause I love turning a corner and seeing 3 Helghast standing there. Yeah I will die, but it just looks so fucking cool.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
WrikaWrek said:
I completely understand, but everybody does it, everyday so i thought it was fine for me to do it.

Sorry. I guess.
No, you're in the right man. There's nothing wrong with judging from released media of a game provided you realize that you may end up being wrong in the end. Don't listen to them. :D

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So is K2 using 'relatively' low res textures and enhanced them with detail mapping ?
It would make sense i think, K2 strength is the crazy ammount of post processing effects.
CELL FTW :D

I think people here might mistaken KZ2 have average texture because by art style, the characters don't have ultra high res texture like Gears or Uncharted. they don't pop out enough in a way.

that said, take a look at the guns, it goes beyond a simple texture. whatever shader they used for the guns, it's the best guns I've seen in console game. I can't seem to find it, but there's this gif someone made with the rocket launcher and the metal in that rocket launcher is really really good.

dark10x

Fersis said:
So is K2 using 'relatively' low res textures and enhanced them with detail mapping ?
It would make sense i think, K2 strength is the crazy ammount of post processing effects.
CELL FTW :D
No, quite the opposite. KZ2 doesn't really seem to rely on noise maps at all.

10o4j9h.jpg

157y9mv.jpg

Textures look good to me.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
dark10x said:
No, quite the opposite. KZ2 doesn't really seem to rely on noise maps at all.
Thanks for the info.
I havent followed K2 tech too much, i read that awesome .PDF they posted on their site.
Which sums up in : "Lots of post-FX == 'ZOMG Awsome!!!1!1!' "

neorej

ERMYGERD!
stressboy said:
While the Helghast eyes from a distance is one reason to play as ISA, the main reason I do it is cause I love turning a corner and seeing 3 Helghast standing there. Yeah I will die, but it just looks so fucking cool.

Exactly the reason why I prefer playing Helghast. When you pop around a corner in front of an ISA Soldier, he's scared shitless :D

dark10x

stuburns said:
Conversation OVER

Back to the beta talk.
Yes, wow, that really is impressive. It's approaching Crysis level quality there if you were to disable parallax occlusion maps (though I know it won't have the same volume of texture).

dark10x said:
Yes, wow, that really is impressive. It's approaching Crysis level quality there if you were to disable parallax occlusion maps (though I know it won't have the same volume of texture).

At this point, I think it is safe to say that anyone trying to unfavourably compare this game to anything else (other than Crysis) currently out there on whatever console, has probably never seen this game in motion, or heard it with a good sound system, or had any hands on time with it. This game is golden.

The look of the Helghast are awesome. It is arguable that they have the most realized distinctive and iconic look of any nemesis in an fps. In fact I think this game, from concept to execution is the most realized game I have ever had the good fortune to play through. Most of the time things in games may look good, but they just look like nice elements within a static play field and though they each look good, they don't necessarily look good together. But this game has the most cohesive visuals I have ever seen.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I haven't played the beta in like two days, but after reading this thread, I feel the need to go and play the beta for days!

I've just been too busy playing LBP and R2 and MGS4.

JardeL

DMeisterJ said:
I haven't played the beta in like two days, but after reading this thread, I feel the need to go and play the beta for days!

I've just been too busy playing LBP and R2 and MGS4.
Shareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee , with me :D

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Insane Metal said:
Just wondering, is there any excuse for KZ2 not making it to IGN's list of Best E3 gfx this year?

was it playable on the floor?

i dont remember, all i remember was that Multiplayer trailer debut

Tom Penny

the_prime_mover said:
At this point, I think it is safe to say that anyone trying to unfavourably compare this game to anything else (other than Crysis) currently out there on whatever console, has probably never seen this game in motion, or heard it with a good sound system, or had any hands on time with it. This game is golden.

The look of the Helghast are awesome. It is arguable that they have the most realized distinctive and iconic look of any nemesis in an fps. In fact I think this game, from concept to execution is the most realized game I have ever had the good fortune to play through. Most of the time things in games may look good, but they just look like nice elements within a static play field and though they each look good, they don't necessarily look good together. But this game has the most cohesive visuals I have ever seen.

All this stuff is fine and dandy but how is the gameplay? Going by the demo's they always show it look great but is on rails like COD4.Someone said they played the first few levels and it was amazing though so i'm optomistic but getting too hyped just sets you up for failure. It happens to often in gaming nowadays. I want a game to exceed my expectations which is rare to say the least.

Fizzle

What are the advantage's of being as Helghast and an ISA?

All i can assume is the Helghast move slow, whilst the ISA can run for longer.

Esch

Banned
Man, I can't believe people are actually comparing this to Crysis. Hell, Crysis isn't even largely representative of how good games onthe PC look, forget consoles. Just the fact that it's even happening is downright hilarious.

And oh man, WrikaWrek and others.... You don't understand just how good this game looks until it's playing on a TV in front of you. When the eventual K2 demo hits, you'll see what I'm talking about :D

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Still haven't seen it first hand, but these gifs and shots are very :eek:

I've always leaned toward Resistance among the PS FPS games*, but the visuals alone have sold me on this - if there's a good game behind it, then that'd be pretty fantastic.

* With that said, R2 is waiting until Xmas..

StuBurns

Banned
Tom Penny said:
All this stuff is fine and dandy but how is the gameplay? Going by the demo's they always show it look great but is on rails like COD4.Someone said they played the first few levels and it was amazing though so i'm optomistic but getting too hyped just sets you up for failure. It happens to often in gaming nowadays. I want a game to exceed my expectations which is rare to say the least.
It plays better than any FPS on a console. In terms of weight of movement and a real feeling of immersion. I haven't played enough to say anything major about the design of the scripting and levels.

Bare in mind, I haven't played the console version of L4D, I hear the most amazingly positive buzz about how good that game feels.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Tom Penny said:

I hate shooters and I'm addicted to the beta.

I think that sums it up quite well.

dark10x

Man, I can't believe people are actually comparing this to Crysis. Hell, Crysis isn't even largely representative of how good games onthe PC look, forget consoles. Just the fact that it's even happening is downright hilarious.
You're right, Crysis doesn't represent the PC at all simply because it is THE single best looking game on the PC right now. NOTHING else comes even remotely close. Most PC games simply don't take advantage of the platform like Crysis does. It's the most technically advanced game on the market.

I really have to wonder what other PC games you are thinking of if. There isn't anything more impressive than Crysis out there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Does debris from destruction stick around, or does it disappear? If so, after how long? Of does it depend on how much debris you generate?

Esch

Banned
dark10x said:
You're right, Crysis doesn't represent the PC at all simply because it is THE single best looking game on the PC right now. NOTHING else comes even remotely close. Most PC games simply don't take advantage of the platform like Crysis does. It's the most technically advanced game on the market.

I really have to wonder what other PC games you are thinking of if. There isn't anything more impressive than Crysis out there.

Honestly, there is nothing on Crysis' level out there on the PC in my opinion. I didn't want to say that because I just dislike absolute statements of that nature, but it's basically true. Even among PC exclusive games, it has pretty much no equivalent looks wise. You might have some competitors in terms of requirements, but overall it has no equivalent.

It gives me a headache when I see K2 compared to Crysis, but at the same time that really speaks volumes about how insanely fucking talented GG/Sony's internal development is.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
gofreak said:
Does debris from destruction stick around, or does it disappear? If so, after how long? Of does it depend on how much debris you generate?

I haven't seen it dissapear, but then again I wasn't really paying attention to it, because I was too busy exchanging ammo with the enemy.

-viper-

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
We are definitely not going to see KZ3 on PS4, you really think they are just going to let that engine go to waste?

Like I said, I want a proper Socom sequel by Sony Bend or Zipper using this engine.
SOCOM on the KZ2 engine...

*drools*

jett

D-Member
gofreak said:

It depends on the size of the debris, the smallest pieces will disappear after a little while. The medium and big-sized chunks will stay around...until you shoot them and become little pieces. :p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
jett said:
It depends on the size of the debris, the smallest pieces will disappear after a little while. The medium and big-sized chunks will stay around...until you shoot them and become little pieces. :p

Smart, minimizing the amount of RAM needed while still allowing you to enjoy the "fruits" of your hard work :).

matmanx1

Finally got the shotgun last night and it made a big difference in the number of kills I was getting and the fun I was having. My K/D ratio stayed about the same because you have to be up close to be effective with it but holy crap is it fun. That thing is an absolute MONSTER at close range! The sound and the recoil are monstrous too, hehe. Huge power in that little street sweeper!

Esch

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
How the hell did Kitton get a key?

GOD DAMN IT SONY!!

I read somewhere in this page or last about an embargo at 4PST, what's that about?

I think it's for press impressions of the beta.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Kuroyume said:
The article kind of had a negative slant in a few lines. It talked about the frame rate, etc.

But remember the source, this guy has been notoriously pro-360 anti-PS3. He hangs out at B3D and all his PS3 related comments are negative.

dark10x

EschatonDX said:
Honestly, there is nothing on Crysis' level out there on the PC in my opinion. I didn't want to say that because I just dislike absolute statements of that nature, but it's basically true. Even among PC exclusive games, it has pretty much no equivalent looks wise. You might have some competitors in terms of requirements, but overall it has no equivalent.

It gives me a headache when I see K2 compared to Crysis, but at the same time that really speaks volumes about how insanely fucking talented GG/Sony's internal development is.
OK, I think I just misunderstood your original post. To me, your post suggested that you believed Crysis to represent only a tiny portion of the PC platform and you were implying that there were a number of other more impressive PC games available.

StuBurns

Banned
I think the point was that even Crysis, which is insane techwise, is something very unique from the PC. There is this strange misconception that everything on PC looks similar, at least a lot better than anything on PS360. Where as very little looks even close KZ2 on PC, let alone Crysis.

Left4Dead for example, graphically it's below par for PS360.

Top Bottom