• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

markao

EDGE (online) - Killzone 3 Review

Previous instalments in this technically strong but creatively lacking series have been one-note, papering over a lack of originality with a hefty dose of shock and awe. Killzone 3, by contrast, attempts to wage a more varied war. It succeeds, just, by offering a tour of locations both more visually interesting and diverse than its forebears, but it all still depends heavily on the brutal impact of the shooting at its core. [7]

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Shurs said:
I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can about the campaign if anyone wants to know something more specific.
Can you say if they kept cutscenes running fully realtime like in KZ2 or are they encoded videos now? I'm asking because the game is apparently 41GB in size now, whereas KZ2 was 'just' 12.

I think in KZ2 it was possible to move the camera around or zoom a bit while the cutscene was playing, like in MGS games. If that still works here that would be an easy proof. Then of course there has to be some artifacting if they are video encoded too.

*edit* Edge gave it the same score as for KZ2. It may sound bad, but with them it's a good sign in a way, as it means that the game has to have been improved quite a bit over the prequel for them to score it the same.

Shurs

Lord Error said:
Can you say if they kept cutscenes running fully realtime like in KZ2 or are they encoded videos now? I'm asking because the game is apparently 41GB in size now, whereas KZ2 was 'just' 12.

I think in KZ2 it was possible to move the camera around or zoom a bit while the cutscene was playing, like in MGS games. If that still works here that would be an easy proof. Then of course there has to be some artifacting if they are video encoded too.

I'm assuming they're using videos to mask the loading, though it looks like they're using in-game assets. There are no loading screens once you get into the game.

They look great, by the way.

Bink is credited.

Facism

SonOfABeep said:
It's that closing paragraph from Joystiq that has me most questioning picking this up.

KZ2 seemed like a good base that had a generic FPS put on it. If they say KZ3 is inferior, I'll wait until Platinum Hits or something.

Sounds like it salvaged a 3.5/5 because the multiplayer is awesome as always.

Yeh reviewers seem to love the mp whilst the hate from the closed beta is in full flow. Not saying they aren't right or wrong, i personally think the MP is a massive step back from KZ2 that patronises the gamer's ability to grasp typical game mechanics. I still remember the 'lol too dumb to use spawn nades deerrrrrp' crap we were getting.

I'm not looking forward to how this is going to play competitively.

BeeDog

Lord Error said:

*edit* Edge gave it the same score as for KZ2. It may sound bad, but with them it's a good sign in a way, as it means that the game has to have been improved quite a bit over the prequel for them to score it the same.

I already asked this and Tempy confirmed earlier in this(?) thread that many cutscenes are videos now. And no, you couldn't move the camera around in KZ2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So videos it is. Really weird they're using Bink of all things though. I hope it won't matter ultimately as they must be using some crazy ass high bitrate.

BeeDog, are you sure you couldn't press triangle to zoom or something along those lines?

Tylahedras said:
You're right, pleanty of time for the score to drop further.

Typically (but not always) the score launches quite a bit higher then where it ends up. Exclusive reviews being so trustworthy and all.
It's 88% now, so it went up!

Garjon

NemesisPrime said:
Set piece stuff in FPS is a really bad trend IMHO. It is used to fake good AI and to hide shortcomings in the gameplay. Give me good AI and sandbox gameplay (HL, Halo, L4D) any day over set piece nonsense. I blame COD, but it is a pity that everybody and his dog seems to think they need this kind of gameplay in an FPS. Write some good AI instead please.
I most certainly would have accepted a graphical downgrade for more open environments and non-scripted action. Now that the graphical sparkle has worn off in regards to console gaming, I thought this would have been the case; clearly not.

It's all too easy to blame every incidence of bad design on CoD but I have to agree with you. Hopefully GG ditches this franchise for the time being and moves onto something more interesting with their new forthcoming IP.

gdt

Travado said:
Edge no longer tries to hide their Microsoft love (or Sony hate). In all PlayStation 3 games (especially exclusives) they find a way to criticize them.

"Journalism" in all its splendor.

Really now.

Shaka

Travado said:
Edge no longer tries to hide their Microsoft love (or Sony hate). In all PlayStation 3 games (especially exclusives) they find a way to criticize them.

It's just an opinion dude.

Just watched the Gamespot review. Game looks like GOTY material to me. And there major complaint about the story seems to be just about the Helghast bickering with each other. It might just be me but that sounds exactly like what would happen if a fascist party had there leader removed from the picture.

Travado said:

Uh.......................huh

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
NemesisPrime said:
Set piece stuff in FPS is a really bad trend IMHO. It is used to fake good AI and to hide shortcomings in the gameplay. Give me good AI and sandbox gameplay (HL, Halo, L4D) any day over set piece nonsense. I blame COD, but it is a pity that everybody and his dog seems to think they need this kind of gameplay in an FPS. Write some good AI instead please.
That's an unfair criticism for this game. Well, if the AI is the same or better than it was in KZ2 anyway. KZ2 definitely had some of the best AI in the business.

nib95

Banned
The Edge bias in platform reviewing is pretty well noted tbh, so we won't even go there. I personally just discredit all of their reviews since they are always wildly inconsistent, but usually towards a specific platform or indy games.

Anyway, I am severely disappointed with the length of the game and the lack of online split screen. Lack of story, overly brutal killings or dudebro characters don't really bother me.

A better story would have been brilliant, but only because KZ's world has a lot to offer. But it's not something I'd dock points for, not when production values, voice acting and motion capture is still higher tier despite a poor script. I mean, the last shooter I played that actually had a decent narrative with decent characters was Bioshock. All of the others have been pretty lacklustre or convoluted.

BeeDog

Lord Error said:
So videos it is. Really weird they're using Bink of all things though. I hope it won't matter ultimately as they must be using some crazy ass high bitrate.

BeeDog, are you sure you couldn't press triangle to zoom or something along those lines?

It's 88% now, so it went up!

Yup, pretty sure you couldn't interact with the cutscenes in any way in KZ2. You're thinking of the MGS games or something. :p

Garjon

Always-honest said:
oh god no.. Killzone 3 has brutal shooting?.. canceling pre-order.
Where does it say this is a negative? It says the game relies too much on it.

Also, if anyone plans on calling out Edge's 'bias' then by all means post some examples please, because I'm really finding it difficult.

The Edge review actually is really well written and sounds like everything I want from KZ3 I suggest you guys check it out. The review sounds more like a 8/10 than the 7 they give.

Despite the supposedly crap story, I think I'll still get it... I've got a $50 gift card for Best Buy I can put towards it, so I don't have to pay any of my money.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Garjon said:
Some math major here ran an actual stats, and yeah, it wasn't pretty. I'd rather not revisit the whole thing though. IMO, it's not at all abnormal that people working for a certain publication have a preference or dislike for a signature of a specific publisher. Is it weird that a Nintendo centric publication enjoys the signature and sensibility behind Nintendo published games?

Enosh

Garjon said:
a shooter relying on shooting?

heresy!

"brutal shooting" what the hell is that even suposed to mean?

Garjon

Enosh said:
a shooter relying on shooting?

heresy!
It's not like Edge gave it a 4/10, it's a positive review. The complaint is that the game doesn't do enough to differentiate itself in this modern age. Yes the shooting may feel good, but so does the shooting in a lot of games. It's the opinion of a reviewer who has probably played a horde of shooters in the past 12 months and most likely needs something other than graphics to push the game for a higher score.

RE Lord Error: I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that just because a Nintendo-centric magazine tends to have Nintendo-centric writers, Edge has to generally have Sony-hating writers? While it's natural for people to have a certain level of bias, I strongly doubt that somehow every Edge writer has some sort of anti-Sony agenda, historical list or not.

Edge reviews always seemed "gut-based", like in how the reviewers "felt" after playing the game, rather than how the game stacked up on its own merits. I don't know, I always get that feeling reading their reviews. IGN also falls in this pit sometimes. Gamespot reviews are pretty objective, in my opinion.

dralla

RustyNails said:
Edge reviews always seemed "gut-based", like in how the reviewers "felt" after playing the game, rather than how the game stacked up on its own merits. I don't know, I always get that feeling reading their reviews. IGN also falls in this pit sometimes. Gamespot reviews are pretty objective, in my opinion.

lol wut

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
sajj316 said:
What is your definition of gunplay?
kirika_gunkata.gif

nah mean?

EagleEyes

To anybody that has played the campaign, are there still collectibles like the intel and badges that were on walls and ceilings that needed to be shot? That would add a little to the playtime for me.

Shurs

EagleEyes said:
To anybody that has played the campaign, are there still collectibles like the intel and badges that were on walls and ceilings that needed to be shot? That would add a little to the playtime for me.

I didn't notice any, but I wasn't looking for them. Those kind of collectibles, that feels out of place, and do nothing in service of the gameplay, bother me.

sajj316 said:
Don't mean to bust your balls on this but can you tell me what you are looking for? What is your definition of gunplay?

My balls?

Well my definition of gunplay is: shooting a gun that doesn't require the scratching of the balls, the yawn and the absolute indifference, out of boredom or lack of interest.

gdt

Shurs said:
I didn't notice any, but I wasn't looking for them. Those kind of collectibles, that feels out of place, and do nothing in service of the gameplay, bother me.

Same here. Don't even go looking for treasures in Uncharted, for example.

Now, something like the collectibles in DKCR, where you sometimes have to figure out how to get them or achieve something for them (like some puzzle pieces), I can dig. Though that might just be for platformers.

Shurs

gdt5016 said:
Same here. Don't even go looking for treasures in Uncharted, for example.

Now, something like the collectibles in DKCR, where you sometimes have to figure out how to get them or achieve something for them (like some puzzle pieces), I can dig. Though that might just be for platformers.

Right. The most clear example of this, in my mind is in Alan Wake.

Scattered manuscript pages which foreshadow upcoming events: Thumbs up.

Thermoses only serve the purpose of collecting towards an Achievement: Thumbs down.

The Agility Orbs in Crackdown are my favorite collectible, as they're fun to get but also useful within the game.

Shurs said:

Thermoses only serve the purpose of collecting towards an Achievement: Thumbs down.

The Agility Orbs in Crackdown are my favorite collectible, as their fun to get but also useful within the game.

Getting agility orbs in Crackdown is literally the best part of the game.

Getting dog tags in Gears of War - dumb and pointless.

As you said, it really all depends on how it's handled.

Garjon said:
It's not like Edge gave it a 4/10, it's a positive review. The complaint is that the game doesn't do enough to differentiate itself in this modern age. Yes the shooting may feel good, but so does the shooting in a lot of games. It's the opinion of a reviewer who has probably played a horde of shooters in the past 12 months and most likely needs something other than graphics to push the game for a higher score.

RE Lord Error: I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying that just because a Nintendo-centric magazine tends to have Nintendo-centric writers, Edge has to generally have Sony-hating writers? While it's natural for people to have a certain level of bias, I strongly doubt that somehow every Edge writer has some sort of anti-Sony agenda, historical list or not.

But Edge only gave LBP 2 a 9. Teh Biased!!!

sajj316

DancingJesus said:
Getting agility orbs in Crackdown is literally the best part of the game.

Getting dog tags in Gears of War - dumb and pointless.

As you said, it really all depends on how it's handled.

I hate that collecting is tied to achievements/trophies. Hate it hate it hate it! Collecting as part of character progression or storyline, or experience points .. I like. KZ2 collecting .. pointless!

Shurs said:

The Agility Orbs in Crackdown are my favorite collectible, as their fun to get but also useful within the game.

Treasures in uncharted serve no purpose other than for Trophies, but at least it makes sense that drake would be interested in collecting them in that context.

Thermoses - really?

Top Bottom