• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

Rikyfree said:
I really wish they would show the impact war has on a soldier over time. Make it like Platoon mixed with Band of Brothers. Instances of soldiers breaking down, CO's getting fragged, suicides, etc. Just to get you to empathize with the ISA more to see in how hopeless of a situation they are really on that planet. Also make them realize that at one point they run into helghast that are about no older than 19. They realize that they've been fighting kids that have been tricked or forced into military service by a dictatorship that wants nothing else than genocide for anyone not helghast. Man, so much could be done to really make this a true personal war story in this franchise.

Convince Guerrilla to hire me, and I will write this story. I wish they would do some of this.

amar212

Have just finished the campaign on Normal, starting again on Veteran - this time I'll take Russian as an language option because Russian voiceovers are perfect.

Will be saving German for the Elite, opening sequence and starting sequence just sounds too convincing when playing on German.

Great voiceovers for all languages, I can safely say that default English is most dull (no offense to anyone).

What A Game.

I just wish I have a 3D set to play this on 3D, visuals of KZ3 are nothing but amazing.

I so love that besides initial loading, loading is completely gone and everything just streams cross-sequences. Also, reviews bashing on-the-rails sequences are plain stupid. Every single on-the-rail sequence and every single vehicle/machine you operate is executed brilliant. I really do not understand what is going on in their heads there.

As for the story - and I am a Killzone-universe great fan since the first game - the end was somehow a turn-down
because I really miss the classic big-boss-final-fight. I guess final chapters of both KZ and KZ2 spoiled me and I expected a even more massive showdown.
. However, ending like this certainly opens a space for next game. I hope it will be out very soon.

This is a brilliant action FPS and one crazy technical and design marvel. I will be trying Move in next days, but TTP's impressions are enough to know it is perfect.

My advice to future players is like this:

- kill HUD elements to minimal
- if you know German or Russian just start the game like that
- start on Elite if you're in no hurry (I had to play on Normal for the review, now I'm sorry for that)
- use sprint/slide/cover mechanics as much as you can, so greatly executed
- get yourself a 3D set if you can only for this

In the end, I have to emphasize the actual design of everything, especially the various weapons, machines, space ships, exoskeletons, vehicles, flying machines, etc. So beautiful, logical and convincing, the best ever witnessed in any game I've played IMO. Great job GG, I can't wait for KZ4.

Loudninja

amar212 said:
Have just finished the campaign on Normal, starting again on Veteran - this time I'll take Russian as an language option because Russian voiceovers are perfect.

Will be saving German for the Elite, opening sequence and starting sequence just sounds too convincing when playing on German.

Great voiceovers for all languages, I can safely say that default English is most dull (no offense to anyone).

What A Game.

I just wish I have a 3D set to play this on 3D, visuals of KZ3 are nothing but amazing.

I so love that besides initial loading, loading is completely gone and everything just streams cross-sequences. Also, reviews bashing on-the-rails sequences are plain stupid. Every single on-the-rail sequence and every single vehicle/machine you operate is executed brilliant. I really do not understand what is going on in their heads there.

As for the story - and I am a Killzone-universe great fan since the first game - the end was somehow a turn-down
because I really miss the classic big-boss-final-fight. I guess final chapters of both KZ and KZ2 spoiled me and I expected a even more massive showdown.
. However, ending like this certainly opens a space for next game. I hope it will be out very soon.

This is a brilliant action FPS and one crazy technical and design marvel. I will be trying Move in next days, but TTP's impressions are enough to know it is perfect.

My advice to future players is like this:

- kill HUD elements to minimal
- if you know German or Russian just start the game like that
- start on Elite if you're in no hurry (I had to play on Normal for the review, now I'm sorry for that)
- use sprint/slide/cover mechanics as much as you can, so greatly executed
- get yourself a 3D set if you can only for this

In the end, I have to emphasize the actual design of everything, especially the various weapons, machines, space ships, exoskeletons, vehicles, flying machines, etc. So beautiful, logical and convincing, the best ever witnessed in any game I've played IMO. Great job GG, I can't wait for KZ4.
Sounds fantastic thanks for the reivew dude.

From what i've seen so far, i can't understand the reviews. It looks like a great, great fucking shooter. The action and execution looks phenomenal. Better than CoD at the very least. Controls are great, Move works great, Online is great. The only thing that keeps coming back is whining about the story... Who the fuck buys a shooter for the story?

modulaire

Always-honest said:
From what i've seen so far, i can't understand the reviews. It looks like a great, great fucking shooter. The action and execition looks phenomenal. Better than CoD at the very least. the only thing that keeps coming back is whining about the story... Who the fuck buys a shooter for the story?

Well, Guerilla put a focus on the story, long cutscenes etc. If the story is BS/subpar, it is kind of a big deal.

The story doesn't matter in a shooter like Bulletstorm and the reviews won't criticize it.

modulaire said:
Well, Guerilla put a focus on the story, long cutscenes etc. If the story is BS/subpar, it is kind of a big deal.

The story doesn't matter in a shooter like Bulletstorm and the reviews won't criticize it.

True. Maybe they should have done it right or keep it to a minimum.

I can understand that the extra effort can make the story seem a bit extra ridiculous.
I probably think the lines of text and cutscenes will be emberrassing too. For all i care they keep this stuff to a minimum.

Emberrassing speeches and buddy stuff is what i don't need to hear.

I wouldn't mind a GOOD story, but haven't seen any in a shooter in years. It's always something generic. Last story i kinda liked was Bioshock 1.

amar212

modulaire said:

It is not subpar by any mean.

From my POW, majority of reviews never played first game so they really don't have a idea about many things related to KZ universe and actual story.

Also, I can bet none of them really was interested in actual backdrops of the universe - which explains many motivations, actual setting, etc.

As for characters and their motivations - I really think they (reviewers) just do not understand the "logic" behind them. In Killzone there is no "Big Muscle Kill Them All" characters. They are all pretty much small soldiers on the battlefield of distant planet.

In all fairness, I think majority of reviews does not take into account that Killzone logic is not to have badass characters that can extinct the species with an blink of an eye - it actually goes into more human-like individuals that are driven by more "usual" emotions, etc.

amar212 said:
It is not subpar by any mean.

From my POW, majority of reviews never played first game so they really don't have a idea about many things related to KZ universe and actual story.

Also, I can bet none of them really was interested in actual backdrops of the universe - which explains many motivations, actual setting, etc.

As for characters and their motivations - I really think they (reviewers) just do not understand the "logic" behind them. In Killzone there is no "Big Muscle Kill Them All" characters. They are all pretty much small soldiers on the battlefield of distant planet.

In all fairness, I think majority of reviews does not take into account that Killzone logic is not to have badass characters that can extinct the species with an blink of an eye - it actually goes into more human-like individuals that are driven by more "usual" emotions, etc.
That extually sounds like a Guerilla thing.. and interesting. I will laugh my ass of if it turns out that i like the story :p.

Pachimari

Wow, unexpectedly just recieved Killzone 3 from my boss. Gonna play this game now!
I haven't followed this game much, neither have I read any reviews. But I played the multiplayer demo a bit with the PlayStation Move.

amar212 said:
Agree 100% with everything.

I have not followed KZ3 as I have been on a media blackout and havent played the MP demo or the Sp demo either. My first playthrough will be on normal.

I'd like to make my first playthrough with Move and in 3D. Is that a good idea, or should I use them in the next playthroughs and stick to DS3 and 2D for the first time?

How will you guys be playing it?

Don't know if mentioned, but Garnett Lee raved a fair bit about Killzone 3 in the latest weekend confirmed as well, noting that this could be a worthy successor to take the crown from CoD both in the single player and the multi-player.

Not that he's the be-all-end-all guy for this type of thing as far as I am concerned, but for a PS3 exclusive shooter I haven't heard similar praise very often, let alone on this podcast.

Top Bottom