• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Review Thread [Update: Reviews In OP]

TheFatOne

alr1ghtstart said:
kz3_ne_2011-01-20_multiplayer-maps_08.jpg

man oh man

There is the Retro Pack too, so hopefully Salamun at least makes an appearance.

:jakncoke 8 maps is still awful. Really how the hell do they only make 8 new maps. What the hell do they spend all their time doing. Shit is just unreal.

Edit: What people forget to realize is that this is GG. Only one or two of the maps will be any good, and the rest will be unbalanced garbage.

You know what really killed the beta for me? The low player health. I could probably get used to the non-existent recoil and the faster aiming animations, but dying with 1-2 shots from any gun made it such a bore. There were no memorable encounters.

And why the hell are there only 8 maps? Bring back all the KZ2 maps you fools.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, more on-disc maps should have been a priority. I bought all the KZ2 DLC maps, but within a month or so of both, it was hard to find a game with them. And you can forget ever seeing them cycled in in big matches, since most players didn't have the DLC. It's something meant to add longevity, but if you can't even access the content most of the time, it doesn't do much to keep the game fresh.

Oh well, it's a buy either way. They earned it.

Most people in this thread are buying the game or playing it regardless, so I don't see why they are complaining. Chill out, and bitch AFTER you play the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Snuggler said:
Yeah, more on-disc maps should have been a priority. I bought all the KZ2 DLC maps, but within a month or so of both, it was hard to find a game with them. And you can forget ever seeing them cycled in in big matches, since most players didn't have the DLC. It's something meant to add longevity, but if you can't even access the content most of the time, it doesn't do much to keep the game fresh.

Oh well, it's a buy either way. They earned it.

well the only good thing about MM is that the DLC maps will cycle more often. I just hope the game isn't complete shit like the beta was.

AAK

How's this a plus? I guess I won't be playing it on normal then. The previous is still left unfinished after I lost interest due to repeating the same Radec battle over and over again. Just let me change the difficulty level mid-game, like many other games do.

Radec battle wasn't that hard. KZ2 was only the 2nd FPS I played after Orange Box so I'm not some elitist pro in gaming. The gernade launcher was all I needed to get to the Radec vs Rico/Sev part which wasn't that hard honestly after getting that far into the game.

Games go through a lot QA testing and there is always a sure fire way to beat it.

A.R.K said:
Fuck where are the small maps for 8-12 players. I usually play with my friends and we have like 8 players max and these maps look huge for small teams! :(

Also Mechs, jetpacks are restricted to only specific maps! WTF...they should have allowed them in any map at least for private games. I really hate this when GG makes certain weapons/stuff restricted to a specific map only.

Anyways, still buying...at least campaign looks even better.

PS: So there are no embargoes on the reviews? How come some Polish mag got the first exclusive review? Seems strange for a AAA game

Bad Company 2 does the same.(don't most other vehicle based MP games?). Vehicles aren't part of you personal loadout, they are placed into maps to be interacted with. Balancing some free for all vehicle mode would be extremely difficult. And from a designer point of view I wouldn't even dare to implement a mech into a smaller level. It might be fun but as a dev I would think of it as detrimental to the overal feel and atmosphere that I want to create.

Violater

Looking like I will wait for things to flesh out before i buy.
They did the same crap with KZ2, as soon as the DLC hit the game started going dead.

Melchiah

AAK said:
Radec battle wasn't that hard. KZ2 was only the 2nd FPS I played after Orange Box so I'm not some elitist pro in gaming. The gernade launcher was all I needed to get to the Radec vs Rico/Sev part which wasn't that hard honestly after getting that far into the game.

Games go through a lot QA testing and there is always a sure fire way to beat it.

Maybe it wouldn't have been as hard and frustrating, if there had been more checkpoints. Battling the same three-four waves again and again made me quit it altogether. Repeating something a dozen times isn't my idea of fun.

The thing is, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have included the possibility to change the difficulty mid-game, like in GoWIII or RE4. I don't want to start the whole damn thing over just to be able to beat the boss.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm pretty sure you can go to Level Select and change the difficulty there. You may have to play the last completed area though.

Melchiah

alr1ghtstart said:
I'm pretty sure you can go to Level Select and change the difficulty there. You may have to play the last completed area though.

Even if that would be possible, it's still not good enough, as other games give you the opportunity to change the difficulty there where you're stuck.

A.R.K

PjotrStroganov said:
Bad Company 2 does the same.(don't most other vehicle based MP games?). Vehicles aren't part of you personal loadout, they are placed into maps to be interacted with. Balancing some free for all vehicle mode would be extremely difficult. And from a designer point of view I wouldn't even dare to implement a mech into a smaller level. It might be fun but as a dev I would think of it as detrimental to the overal feel and atmosphere that I want to create.

As I stated earlier, I understand not allowing mechs on small, medium maps. But most of the maps they have listed are big (jet packs can go on any map so what about that). Also I wanted this for private games only, as I don't mind having all the options available to gamers and let them play as they want if they choose to. Anyways, it is what it is :/

careful

TacticalFox88 said:
Most games that ship with double digit maps and most of them end up either meh, or terrible. Just saying.
I can agree with that, but then there's also no way of knowing that all 8 of the KZ3 maps will be good. I think only 8 maps is a pretty cheap move. Seems like GG or Sony wants to milk us for the retro map pack. SMH.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PalaceBrother said:
From Patrick Klepek's Twitter:

@patrickklepek
"Expected 10/10, not sure if I want now... we'll see."—a reader commenting on a 9/10 review.

I read the comment as a joke, personally.
I'm glad to see reviewers are as ignorant as ever. He should've read my post 10 minutes after that.

Yoshi256

Banned
Kjellson said:
Polish is such a weird language.

I agree, in my internship I have to translate offers from Era (Polish telecommunication company) to English.
Google Translate is my best friend these days. ;-)

Thrakier

Shurs said:
It was intimidating to get in the mix because the Killzone 2 OT pretty much turned into a small group of dudes from the clan flirting with each other.

*sighs*
*plushes*

Oh oh...FFOH.

YoungHav

Banned
TheFatOne said:
:jakncoke 8 maps is still awful. Really how the hell do they only make 8 new maps. What the hell do they spend all their time doing. Shit is just unreal.
"but but but I'd rather have quality over quantity" (because apparently KZ2's 8 maps were the greatest 8 multiplayer maps ever made in human existence).

Facism

8 maps, and from that link, it looks like the jungle map doesn't have warzone, guerilla warfare only.

helps my decision on day 1 purchase.

Lince

Banned
8 maps yeah... quite poor, and those maps from the "alpha code" didn't impress me at all, so I hope out of the remaining 5 there's one I can truly enjoy and make my money worth. I've been playing a lot of BF Bad Company 2 Vietnam lately and I'm not that hyped for KZ3 anymore, I mean, that Vietnam expansion is truly fantastic and trumps KZ3 alpha in every way, it tops even the average KZ2 clusterfuck game (not the custom small games with no Assault class of course). Guess Fersis transformed me or something.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Melchiah said:
Maybe it wouldn't have been as hard and frustrating, if there had been more checkpoints. Battling the same three-four waves again and again made me quit it altogether. Repeating something a dozen times isn't my idea of fun.

The thing is, there's absolutely no reason why they couldn't have included the possibility to change the difficulty mid-game, like in GoWIII or RE4. I don't want to start the whole damn thing over just to be able to beat the boss.

It's the final battle, you expect it to be a cakewalk? Hell the rest of the game was pretty damn easy the fact i got killed til i got the hang of it brought a smile to my face.

game being hard is always a plus... CPU doesn't change and learn. So being challenging is the best way to get your moneys worth =P plus you feel awesome when you win

pixelbox

A.R.K said:
As I stated earlier, I understand not allowing mechs on small, medium maps. But most of the maps they have listed are big (jet packs can go on any map so what about that). Also I wanted this for private games only, as I don't mind having all the options available to gamers and let them play as they want if they choose to. Anyways, it is what it is :/
I really wanted some of the bigger levels to have jeep/jet bike play, maybe DLC?

pixelbox

One thing i've read up on is all maps have environment hazards mortors being one of them, this could really make things interesting. Sure, it isn't quite what i wanted but maybe it'll spark new interests i didn't know i had. The bad thing is that this could very well feel like KZ2.5 so i'll have to keep my fingers crossed.

Melchiah

QisTopTier said:
It's the final battle, you expect it to be a cakewalk? Hell the rest of the game was pretty damn easy the fact i got killed til i got the hang of it brought a smile to my face.

game being hard is always a plus... CPU doesn't change and learn. So being challenging is the best way to get your moneys worth =P plus you feel awesome when you win

No, of course not, but I expect it to be more doable than it was and not as frustrating, after all I'm playing to be entertained not to be frustrated.

It's a plus if a game's reasonably challenging, but when you can't complete the game on normal difficulty something's not quite right.

EDIT: It's not my idea of getting money's worth by being forced to repeat certain parts of the game, due to a bad placing of checkpoints. Repetition = frustration.

Yoboman

Its strange this game doesn't seem any more content filled than KZ2. You'd think without having to do the engine R&D they'd have more time for content, kinda like how ND did with UC2

Thrakier

Yoboman said:
Its strange this game doesn't seem any more content filled than KZ2. You'd think without having to do the engine R&D they'd have more time for content, kinda like how ND did with UC2

3D + Move. :/

BeeDog

Yoboman said:

But the engine seems to be heavily re-written to take 3D into account, so that may be a factor. Besides, ND is an anomaly in the industry, seeing as how big of a leap UC2 was over UC1. Not every developer has the correct priorities...

My bet is that the cutscenes and the focus to have a varied campaign has eaten a lot of dev time.

AshMcCool

Interesting that the magazines name is cd-action, while polands most famous developer (and publisher?) is named CD-Projekt. Poland really seems to be fond of the (olde) CD term.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Played about 3 hours of Killzone 2 before trading the game in. I'm interested in this one but unless it's a drastic improvement over KZ2 I'll wait for it to hit the platinum label.

Alastor

AshMcCool said:
Interesting that the magazines name is cd-action, while polands most famous developer (and publisher?) is named CD-Projekt. Poland really seems to be fond of the (olde) CD term.

CD-Action - it's because back in 1996 it was the first polish mag with CD added to every issue, and they wanted to emphasize it in the title. They dipped CDs and switched to DVDs in 2006, but the name stayed because the brand was (and still is) strong and they wanted to avoid any confusion.

CD Projekt - similar story, founded in 1994, they've chosen this name because they wanted to distribute PC software on CDs in Poland (their dev studio, CDP Red, launched in 2002).

I guess putting "CD" in the name of somewhat related company/brand back then was a simple idea that worked ;)

Day 1 for me, loved KZ2 and regardless of all the hate had a lot of fun in the beta for KZ3.

Very thankful it is coming out the day before my birthday so I will be taking the day off work and playing the hell out of it that day :)

Rikyfree

AshMcCool said:
I watched a documentary from the vice guide guys on Poland. It seems like an awesome place. I wouldn't mind visiting there for about a week or so. Liberia, not so much.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Lince said:
8 maps yeah... quite poor, and those maps from the "alpha code" didn't impress me at all, so I hope out of the remaining 5 there's one I can truly enjoy and make my money worth. I've been playing a lot of BF Bad Company 2 Vietnam lately and I'm not that hyped for KZ3 anymore, I mean, that Vietnam expansion is truly fantastic and trumps KZ3 alpha in every way, it tops even the average KZ2 clusterfuck game (not the custom small games with no Assault class of course). Guess Fersis transformed me or something.
^__^

Dood get a mic.

Alastor

Rikyfree said:
I watched a documentary from the vice guide guys on Poland. It seems like an awesome place. I wouldn't mind visiting there for about a week or so. Liberia, not so much.

It's not bad here ;) Just come in summer, because then we may actually have nice weather.

szaromir

Banned
Yoshi256 said:
I agree, in my internship I have to translate offers from Era (Polish telecommunication company) to English.
Google Translate is my best friend these days. ;-)
Did you try to learn the basics at least?:p

jRPG

Sevket-Erhat said:
What is OPM UK score for Killzone 3 ?

They gave it 9/10.

Some choice quotes:

Looking at this game from a purely technical perspective, there's no question that it merits full marks. But for all of the things it does right, and there are many of them, Killzone 3 doesn't revolutionise or advance its genre in gameplay terms.

On a visual level, as a 3D breakthrough, this feels like the watershed moment in a revolution affecting all of gaming - although sadly, if you're not one of the lucky few with a three-dimensional set-up, you're undeniably missing out.

Ideally this excellent instalment will bring down the blood-stained curtain on the Killzone franchise. Not because there's nowhere for it to go, but because of how exciting it would be for a studio with this much talent and technical expertise to head off in a totally new direction. If the 3D revolution starts here, then we can't wait to see where its pioneers will take it next.

From second opinion:
KZ3 has been refined to make it more playable and immediate, but it retains that traumatising sense of realism.

On multiplayer:
...but one thing is for sure: there's now a very viable COD alternative.

jRPG

Rikyfree said:

They don't have their website up, it has seemingly been forever coming soon. But I have the mag sitting in front of me now, it's all first hand information.

Mr. Sam

jRPG said:
They don't have their website up, it has seemingly been forever coming soon. But I have the mag sitting in front of me now, it's all first hand information.

Aye - I can vouch for you.

I hope they mean viable COD alternative meaning that there is an option for having an addictive experience like COD and not that the MP has been CODfied to hell and back.

pixelbox

Maybe im just a fangirl for the series but how come COD gets a free pass for not advancing the genre while KZ gets shited on? What else could they do in the genre without sacrificing sells? I will admit i wanted more out of GG but realistically they need better sales for that to happen. innovation along with polish should have been enough but there's no proof of that working for them just yet...

Top Bottom