• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 4 Uses Raytracing For Its Real-Time Reflections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still impressed by KZ Shadow Fall visuals even today.

34248.gif

34250.gif

34237.gif

Oh and Lorn did a great job with the OST! :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
I don't get why people listened to this bullshit 11 years ago. Sony fanboys will believe anything.
Killzone uses normal SSR.
Terminology abuse aside (the presenter had no excuse for this - SSR shipped in multiple games before SF already - including DeadSpace, among others) - SSR does trace rays - it's just against a screen-space history buffer instead of BVH.
Obviously though, SSR gives an extremely limited data-set to trace into.

Bojji

Terminology abuse aside (the presenter had no excuse for this - SSR shipped in multiple games before SF already - including DeadSpace, among others) - SSR does trace rays - it's just against a screen-space history buffer instead of BVH.
Obviously though, SSR gives an extremely limited data-set to trace into.

People love to use that "ray tracing" in their sentences. Killzone 2 times, 2008:

That includes ray tracing of every bullet hole

jwaxeman

This intro is the only thing killzone fans show when they talk about its visuals. The rest of the game is a dull pos.
I'd add the first forest mission to the fun list too. They really tease a great sandbox and then just give you dumb-dumb shit to do the rest of the game. Not sure why they decided to move away from the full-scale army warfare of the older games, which was always fun.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Who is the necromancer who ressurected this thread?

mrMUR_96 mrMUR_96 Did this!!​

lol and he was replying to a discussion from 2013 about direct x. Like dude must have a backlog of posts bigger than my steam collection apprarntly! lol

Also Killzone needs a reboot!!!

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
What slag got me excited. I beg Sony come on give us some FPS im tired of all this emotional shit your giving us.

Shadow Fall bored me to death. I'm a massive KZ fan, KZ2 particularly but KZ3 and 4 if you want to call it that, were a bit boring. Maybe I should give ShadowFall another go.

mrMUR_96

Are the Killzone games available on PC? I'm one of the rare, never played them before kind of people.
Only via emulation, apparently it's quite good on rpcs3 these days as long as your pc is good enough. That excludes shadowfall(4) though as that was only on ps4.

Last edited:

Fbh

Still impressed by KZ Shadow Fall visuals even today.

34248.gif

34250.gif

34237.gif

Oh and Lorn did a great job with the OST! :messenger_sunglasses:

Games like Shadowfall are a perfect example of diminishing returns in visuals.
People always used to say stuff like "you think it looks good now, but in 10 years you'll think it looks like crap".
It has now been over 10 years since this game came out and I think it still looks pretty nice. If you released a game with these visuals today at like 1440p 60fps on ps5 I'd be totally happy with the presentation

Green_Eyes

This series was supposed to be a staple of the new Sony console launch, feels like they ignored it this time around because they don't need to compete with Halo anymore (because it killed itself).

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I have my doubts if it'd survive the current market.
I don’t.

The fps market is starved. What fps is coming this year aside from CoD?

Battlefield is on life support. Halo is LOL.

Perfect time to come out. Even a classic MP package would sell more than usual.

I personally would love a kill zone with the epic campaign, usual MP affair, and then an extraction shooter. Trying to escape out of warzone areas of Helghan. AI Helghast trying to pop you, real players, loot, etc.

Guilty_AI

I don’t.

The fps market is starved. What fps is coming this year aside from CoD?

Battlefield is on life support. Halo is LOL.

Perfect time to come out. Even a classic MP package would sell more than usual.

I personally would love a kill zone with the epic campaign, usual MP affair, and then an extraction shooter. Trying to escape out of warzone areas of Helghan. AI Helghast trying to pop you, real players, loot, etc.
eh depends on the content of the release. If we're talking about in terms of campaign only, it likely wouldn't do very good.

If it had a stronger MP focus... perhaps? I guess it would depend on what the MP mode entails and how well executed it is.

Arsic

eh depends on the content of the release. If we're talking about in terms of campaign only, it likely wouldn't do very good.

If it had a stronger MP focus... perhaps? I guess it would depend on what the MP mode entails and how well executed it is.
Even if it was the prior game titles offering it’s more than enough in a world where only one fps franchise remains.

Seriously it’s just CoD.

JimboJones

This series was supposed to be a staple of the new Sony console launch, feels like they ignored it this time around because they don't need to compete with Halo anymore (because it killed itself).
More because Horizon is a much more successful franchise at this point

Guilty_AI

Even if it was the prior game titles offering it’s more than enough in a world where only one fps franchise remains.

Seriously it’s just CoD.
COD is already rather tough to go against with though, the game would really need to know how to carve a niche for itself. I'd say it's the main reason why most publishers don't even bother trying something similar.

And if we're strictly talking about single player FPSs, there's an entire market of them these days so it wouldn't necessarely be able to attract those types of players either.

Arsic

COD is already rather tough to go against with though, the game would really need to know how to carve a niche for itself. I'd say it's the main reason why most publishers don't even bother trying something similar.

And if we're strictly talking about single player FPSs, there's an entire market of them these days so it wouldn't necessarely be able to attract those types of players either.
Killzone has never been just SP though. It’s SP and MP. Killzone 2 was touted the “halo killer” which never happened but Sony put out 4 Killzone games (5 with handheld one).

You don’t need COD numbers.

COD launches in October/novembwr. So launch this in April. It can carve out a healthy community size that will buy into battle passes etc.

The biggest misstep of products these days is launching in a shit state. Sony avoids that. Guerrilla is a powerhouse studio. If they launch a functional and fun FPS with MP and SP, it will sell, and it will retain a solid player base.

Shit games like the finals still have 17,000 players on steam alone. I don’t think KZ would do helldivers 2 numbers but it could likely hold 20-50k players at a time between season launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom