• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Mercenary |OT| No allegiance, no honour, only money

The_Monk

Heh, I just really want someone to post the size of the bubble post patch on the retail version.

The size is 1193 MB fellow GAFfer. Version 1.01

Also, I only played Multiplayer, need more time to start Single Player. If there's anything else you need, please let me know.

They're using a huge port range for player connections, which is a lot of the problem. The only way I was able to get around it in the beta was to assign a static IP to my Vita and put it in the DMZ of my router.

This guide might help: http://community.killzone.com/t5/Killzone-Mercenary-PS-Vita/Setting-up-your-Router-with-Port-Forwarding-as-DMZ-device-to/td-p/1409808

You'll have to put your country/birthdate in before proceeding to the forum.
Great advice, I did the same thing during the beta. I couldn't connect to any games in MP but after doing what you said it connected almost every time.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm gutted I had to cancel my KZ:M pre-order from Amazon, but between GTAV and student loans, I just don't have the extra cash to burn on Mercs this month.

I'll see if I can squeeze it in next month, but that's my lead in month to the PS4 launch, so I'll have to see. From what I played at E3 and the beta, the game looks and feels amazing. It actually looks more like Killzone than what I've seen of Shadowfall, but I like that SF looks to be trying something different aesthetically compared to KZ1-3, Lib, and Mercs. I wouldn't mind seeing Guerrilla Games dip their toe back into the Liberation style in a future Vita title. The franchise proved it can actually be surprisingly versatile if the game play is solid.

I'm jealous of you folks that currently have it, but I'm being strong, dammit!

*weeps at his work desk*

Kamina

Golden Boy
So I finished the Campaign now. Says it took me 4 hours 50. But that's impossible. The timer must be on hold during cutscenes and stuff. Also I guess replaying after death doesn't count towards the completion time.
All In all it's a solid shooter, and the graphics are pretty awesome for a handheld. Though, i'd love if they had made a Helghast Merc Campaign.
Now I'm off to online Warzone.

lord pie

Everyone loves a bit of DOF:

2013-09-05-200533.jpg

(Me being revived from a tranq on Refinery)

Gestault

So I finished the Campaign now. Says it took me 4 hours 50. But that's impossible. The timer must be on hold during cutscenes and stuff. Also I guess replaying after death doesn't count towards the completion time.

If that's true about the timer not including deaths and cutscenes, that's a fantastic length. Some reviewers for Vanquish lamented the game only being ~4-5 hours on normal, then it came to light that the number they were using as reference didn't include retries or story scenes, and that the game was closer to 10.

Bah, my bloody copy didn't arrive yet. Stupid Tesco. Oh well, another day of staring at screenshots and impatiently checking my watch at my desk.

I'm gutted I had to cancel my KZ:M pre-order from Amazon, but between GTAV and student loans, I just don't have the extra cash to burn on Mercs this month.

I'll see if I can squeeze it in next month, but that's my lead in month to the PS4 launch, so I'll have to see. From what I played at E3 and the beta, the game looks and feels amazing. It actually looks more like Killzone than what I've seen of Shadowfall, but I like that SF looks to be trying something different aesthetically compared to KZ1-3, Lib, and Mercs. I wouldn't mind seeing Guerrilla Games dip their toe back into the Liberation style in a future Vita title. The franchise proved it can actually be surprisingly versatile if the game play is solid.

I'm jealous of you folks that currently have it, but I'm being strong, dammit!

*weeps at his work desk*

I didnt have money either. I had to trade in shit. Im sure you could go that route no?

OmegaZero

They are a little chellanging on hard, I haven't tried other difficulties. They duck next to cover, blind fire and all those thing like on console but they'll come at you.

Ah, that's not too bad, I suppose. Unless by "come at you" you mean "ignore all cover and rush straight at you". :b
I'm not expecting too much, tbh, since handhelds do have their limitations.

Jinroh

It's anecdotal, but I've just realized the game uses a dynamic resolution. It gets slightly blurry at times during cut-scenes or when there's too much mess on the screen.

Usually I absolutely hate it when games don't run in a native resolution, but this game proves that it's fine when used well.

x3sphere

It's anecdotal, but I've just realized the game uses a dynamic resolution. It gets slightly blurry at times during cut-scenes or when there's too much mess on the screen.

Usually I absolutely hate it when games don't run in a native resolution, but this game proves that it's fine when used well.

I noticed that, I think only the effects are rendered at a lower resolution though, it didn't seem like the entire scene got blurry.

Kinda sad that the DOF implementation on the weapons is non-existent; that is seminal Killzone for me. Game looks utterly fantastic, though.

Small gripe: does it seriously not save your campaign progress unless you complete a mission, i.e. is there no way to pick up midway where you left off?

krioto

Holy shit! Game just unlocked, but I'm at work - just had to nip out for a few minutes and watched the intro and played for a few minutes.

This looks SO good. Can't wait to get home.

The reviews for this game are lower than I thought they would be...I figured it would average in the mid 80s. What are the main complaints people are having about the game? I know I had kind of a hard time on the beta with the vita's controls -- hence why I'm really pining for a vita xl/tablet.

demolitio

The reviews for this game are lower than I thought they would be...I figured it would average in the mid 80s. What are the main complaints people are having about the game? I know I had kind of a hard time on the beta with the vita's controls -- hence why I'm really pining for a vita xl/tablet.

Well, it has two strikes against it in the industry because it's a Killzone game and on the Vita at that. :p

I think it's one of the biggest underrated shooter series out there just because it didn't completely conform to modern day hand-holding MP.

All In all it's a solid shooter, and the graphics are pretty awesome for a handheld. Though, i'd love if they had made a Helghast Merc Campaign.
Thoughts on the story? Good? Bad?
No spoilers please

alexg1989

Banned

weird question but... how long are the cutscenes? Are they actual cutscenes or trimmed down, comic style stuff? How much voice acting?

I've never played a Killzone so... yeah... just looking to get an idea of what I'm getting. I'd like its cutscene presentation to be at least as good as Uncharted Golden Abyss'

nampad

Thoughts on the story? Good? Bad?
No spoilers please

The story is ok. It's nothing special but it's also not bad. Typical gaming or FPS quality although better than the chaotic Modern Warfare or BF3 storylines.

It does a nice job connecting the events of KZ1 and KZ2 and telling what happened beside those campaigns.

:(

So the game is quite short then. Overall impressions?

As already stated several times in this thread, the ingame timer doesn't reflect the actual game time. The campaign is short, but not that short.

In my opinion, it's a good FPS, even by console game standards. So as a handheld game, it is great.
Sure, the game doesn't really innovate, but at least you can play the levels very differently unlike other corridor shooters.

Besides the short campaign there are also some silly bugs (can't connect to MP if you left the game to the LiveArea or Vita was in sleep mode until you restart the game; game freezes and won't register any input after leaving game for the LiveArea at first, you have to go to the LiveArea and rejoin the game several times until it unfreezes) and you can't save mid-mission. Cutscenes are also unskippable.

The visuals are incredible and the controls work well. I enjoyed the mission and encounter design as well as the pacing. Presentation is good overall.

weird question but... how long are the cutscenes? Are they actual cutscenes or trimmed down, comic style stuff? How much voice acting?

I've never played a Killzone so... yeah... just looking to get an idea of what I'm getting. I'd like its cutscene presentation to be at least as good as Uncharted Golden Abyss'

There are mission briefings in the CoD style. These briefings have some CGI cutscenes. Rest is ingame stuff.

OmegaZero

You can turn off all the HUD elements, right? Even the crosshairs and money notifications?
Are there any guns in the full game that weren't in the public beta?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
:(

So the game is quite short then. Overall impressions?

As nampad said, apparently the timer doesn't track actual play time correctly. I'm still torn on the matter and want to test it myself. But replay comes from the operation variants, which give three optional objective/criteria based versions of each of the nine stages. See my pots here.

You can turn off all the HUD elements, right? Even the crosshairs and money notifications?

Correct, almost everything can be turned off. I don't think you can turn off the touch screen notifications (like weapon swap), but I could be wrong.

OmegaZero

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.
Can't wait for the 10th!
EDIT: Just discovered that someone on GameFAQs is claiming that the amount of weapons in the private beta is the same for the full game(not counting the ISA light machine gun preorder bonus). Can anyone confirm this?

Adahn

Cutscenes are also unskippable.

You can skip cutscenes by double tapping the screen. If a little wheel rolls in the top right then loading is still occuring, but you can save some time on each contract start if you have seen the scene before.

nampad

What's the verdict on format? Should I buy the retail game or digital download?

The digital version is 3.4 GB big with an additional 1.1 GB patch which adds up to a hefty ~4.5 GB. If you don't want to spare that much of your precious memory card space, you should go retail.
I like the MP and if you'll play it often digital may be more practical.

You can skip cutscenes by double tapping the screen. If a little wheel rolls in the top right then loading is still occuring, but you can save some time on each contract start if you have seen the scene before.

Thank you, this will be helpful for my later playthroughs. Kinda stupid that it is on the touchscreen only. Would also prefer if you can navigate the menu with buttons, another strange decision by GG Cambridge going with a touch only interface.

nib95

Banned
As nampad said, apparently the timer doesn't track actual play time correctly. I'm still torn on the matter and want to test it myself. But replay comes from the operation variants, which give three optional objective/criteria based versions of each of the nine stages. See my pots here.

Correct, almost everything can be turned off. I don't think you can turn off the touch screen notifications (like weapon swap), but I could be wrong.

The story is ok. It's nothing special but it's also not bad. Typical gaming or FPS quality although better than the chaotic Modern Warfare or BF3 storylines.

It does a nice job connecting the events of KZ1 and KZ2 and telling what happened beside those campaigns.

As already stated several times in this thread, the ingame timer doesn't reflect the actual game time. The campaign is short, but not that short.

In my opinion, it's a good FPS, even by console game standards. So as a handheld game, it is great.
Sure, the game doesn't really innovate, but at least you can play the levels very differently unlike other corridor shooters.

Besides the short campaign there are also some silly bugs (can't connect to MP if you left the game to the LiveArea or Vita was in sleep mode until you restart the game; game freezes and won't register any input after leaving game for the LiveArea at first, you have to go to the LiveArea and rejoin the game several times until it unfreezes) and you can't save mid-mission. Cutscenes are also unskippable.

The visuals are incredible and the controls work well. I enjoyed the mission and encounter design as well as the pacing. Presentation is good overall.

There are mission briefings in the CoD style. These briefings have some CGI cutscenes. Rest is ingame stuff.

Cool. Thanks for responding.

Wonder what accurate play times would be then? Hmm..

Boy, does this game's camera placement makes you feel like a dwarf or what? I remember people complaining about it in the ps3 killzones, but it never really bothered me there. Not that it is bothering me here, but it is definitely noticable and weird.

2 missions in and I am loving it so far looks and plays wonderfully.

SmokyDave

Fuckin'... Yeah!!!

That's my considered opinion after squeezing in two missions before work. Now to pass it around the office and sell some Vitas...

bLaiSe

Awesome, thanks for the clarification.
Can't wait for the 10th!
EDIT: Just discovered that someone on GameFAQs is claiming that the amount of weapons in the private beta is the same for the full game(not counting the ISA light machine gun preorder bonus). Can anyone confirm this?
Confirmed.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Really? Wow has the vita shut down not long afterwards too? Or is it fine? I'm guessing you have the 3g model of the vita? I only have wifi so hoping its just a 3g issue

Its a japanese 3G model and it only shuts done the 3G antenna not wifi. Didn't shut down Vita at all after the message. The console didn't feel hot either but maybe it's the insides that were hot.

SmokyDave

I'm all digital on Vita. Seeing that 4.6gb file makes me hard.

Only played the first two missions so far, but I'm loving it. I'm not great at FPS' so I reckon it'll last me a good long time. I wish you could up the gyro aiming a little more, but apart from that I have no issues with the controls. I can't get over how good it looks.

derwalde

is there a way to check the version (1.00/1.01) of the game? i have the feeling that instead of the patch only the preorder bonus installed. is that a possibility?

is there a way to check the version (1.00/1.01) of the game? i have the feeling that instead of the patch only the preorder bonus installed. is that a possibility?

If you are logged in, it nags you fairly incessantly about updating, so you should be ok. Otherwise I think you can check update history when in bubble edit mode.

Hanmik

hold your finger on the bubble for the game. press the little - icon. Press "information", and you should see the version number,.

SmokyDave

Hold your finger down on the bubble until it wobbles and then choose 'update history'. That, or just check for an update. Or check the bubble size.

hold your finger on the bubble for the game. press the little - icon. Press "information", and you should see the version number,.
Or this!

Top Bottom