• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall Review Thread

Hindle

Banned
I think Killzone and Ryse are examples of where the fanbase greatly exaggerate how good the games are looking. KZ SF to me always looked like a 6 from the moment it was announced, so I was surprised when people were saying it looked to be the best KZ to date.

Yondy604

Banned
I think Killzone and Ryse are examples of where the fanbase greatly exaggerate how good the games are looking. KZ SF to me always looked like a 6 from the moment it was announced, so I was surprised when people were saying it looked to be the best KZ to date.

Dude the game has been getting an average of 8 across the board, only polygon ripped it.

I like how everyone is focusing on one review and ignoring the fact that, for the most part, none of the reviews claimed the game to be stellar. Eurogamer's sums it up for me: looks pretty, but it's utterly forgettable.

a916

Never been a fan of the series and I don't think this will win me over either... however, I'm hoping to enjoy the eye candy alongside the open mission structure.

I never expected this to steal me away from COD or BF4 MP to be honest...

MOST reviews are right along what I expected, though the leveling up in MP is done in a really cool way, it may take away that pay off of "oh I've been grinding for this weapon for XX hours and now I finally have it!!"

Sobriquet

People need to put or shut up. Let's settle this, please. Someone compile the numbers. Show us where the bias lies. Support your thesis with NUMBERS. Do they really grade Sony exclusives more harshly? Where is the proof?

Didn't someone on here run the review numbers and find out that Polygon's reviews of Playstation exclusives not only scored higher than the Metacritic average, but also higher overall than 360 exclusives?

Vizzeh

Banned
I like how everyone is focusing on one review and ignoring the fact that, for the most part, none of the reviews claimed the game to be stellar. Eurogamer's sums it up for me: looks pretty, but it's utterly forgettable.

Are you not seeing the scores? how can it sum it up for you, have you played it? (eurogamer is 1 review.....polygon is a money hatted 750k site launching joke)
The scores Generally range from 8-10, thats pretty damn good.......

Bundy

Banned

So I hope you don't ignore the majority of 7 to 9.5 reviews for KILLZONE: Shadow Fall.

Bailers

How does something look like a 6 from a launch trailer?

People need to put or shut up. Let's settle this, please. Someone compile the numbers. Show us where the bias lies. Support your thesis with NUMBERS. Do they really grade Sony exclusives more harshly? Where is the proof?

Assertion, not a thesis. Also, somebody posted a list of Polygon scores earlier in the thread which confirms his assertion, i.e. Last of Us 7.5, GoW:A 6, etc. Look it up.

breakfuss

Exactly, KZ has never been that strong of a franchise. Serviceable, yes. Good? Eh.

Dude the game has been getting an average of 8 across the board.

No the hell it hasn't.

Roland1979

Not saying reviews should be dismissed but if reviews where really reliable they would score far more even across the board. (Instead of super low to super high). I guess you could take some average but i'm mostly interested in user review. I do like to hear or read the reasoning behind their scores however.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
The campaign seems like it will be hit or miss, but I got this game for the multiplayer, which exactly zero reviews have touched on substantially. I don't buy $60 shooters to play a 10 hour campaign once. Unlike the campaign, the direct footage we've seen is more representative of the full MP experience, and what I've seen of that looks like it will be great and well-balanced. I'm not too worried. It also seems like a lot of reviewers completely miss the point of having a story where the protagonists and antagonists are all morally grey.

Another captain hindsight.
You're not makng yourself sound very smart.
Just like a ridiculous fanboy. Don't you know by now (i assume you are older than 12) that fanboys miss out?

Brashnir

Are you not seeing the scores? how can it sum it up for you, have you played it? (eurogamer is 1 review.....polygon is a money hatted 750k site launching joke)

No they don't. They generally range from 7-8. There's three below 7, one 9 and no 10s.

turnbuckle

What else are you gonna spend it on? There's no game so far getting stellar reviews especially not any shooter.

If I keep my PS4 pre-order I'll be keeping it for Resogun, Battlefield 4, and future potential.

Also - Gran Turismo 6. Link Between Worlds. Tearaway.

Besides, it's not like one has to be compelled to buy something just because it exists. If that were the case, the Wii U would be doing a hell of a lot better.

Roland1979

Not saying reviews should be dismissed but if reviews where really reliable they would score far more even across the board. (Instead of super low to super high). I guess you could take some average but i'm mostly interested in user reviews. I do like to hear or read the reasoning behind their scores however. Also, the sp is probably not that great but the game consist of more then a sp, so is it still fair to ignore mp on a total package?.

Bailers

The Toronto Sun needs to seriously reconsider their games reviewer's employment and their editing practices.

No matter what your feelings, it just unprofessional to publish that.

How the fuck can Gies and Polygon get away with this shit?

If games journalism was a serious business they would have pariah status within the industry. Instead their review scores are still trotted out alongside all the big media like they are legitimate gaming press.

Gies is now going full-on console warrior mode, marking down Playstation titles and showing a terrible unprofessionalism and hypocrisy. If you thought he couldn't get any worse, well, he has...

breakfuss

Assertion, not a thesis. Also, somebody posted a list of Polygon scores earlier in the thread which confirms his assertion, i.e. Last of Us 7.5, GoW:A 6, etc. Look it up.

Sorry, I meant to say theory. I'm just annoyed by it. And, yeah, I replied to that person. Those numbers mean shit in vacuum. How does Polygon grade games overall? Against MS or Nintendo exclusives? No one is asking serious questions, just parroting what they hear around GAF.

Comet

I went straight to read that Polygon review, wow it was bad. A franchise that is known for its fun and varied multiplayer has a whole review based around nothing but its mediocre campaign. That's like giving BF4 a 5/10 because it has a crap campaign. No shit Sherlock... that's not the point of the game.

It's more around 7 from outlets I trust. Even IGN, king of hyperbole, only gave it an 8. If I'm spending nearly a grand (NZD) on a new console I want more than just "Okay".

Moofers

Who here really expected straight 9s and 10s for Killzone? The series has been great for years and never got its due credit, IMO. I think 7s and 8s are fine, people. You wanna see a 10? They better change the name to Zelda or Halo. Seriously, just play the game and decide for yourselves. Have fun, they're fuckin video games.

Vizzeh

Banned
No they don't. They generally range from 7-8. There's three below 7, one 9 and no 10s.

So Im wrong by 1 digit each way they generally range from 7-9 and thats Bad? I think thats selective.. Your looking at the frame here and not the picture

edit: My point was, Eurogamers random review which wasnt that bad and Arthurs absolute joke of review compared to the rest is not even worth reading.

Salz01

I'm excited, and I think most forget the fact that everybody will be playing the MP anyways. That's the true test of the legs on his thing. And it looks awesome at 1080p 60 FPS.... Sweet Jesus......

ultron87

Here's the post from the Last of Us thread where hey_it's_that_dog ran the numbers on both consoles for their reviews:

Okay folks, because I hate myself I ran the numbers.

I looked through the reviews for all PS3 and 360 exclusives and compared the Metacritic to the Polygon reviews. I don't think I missed any but it's possible.

PS3:
Last of Us
Deadly Premonition DC
God of War Ascension
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
LBP Karting
Ni No Kuni
Ratchet & Clank Full Frontal Assault
Starhawk
Guacamelee

Metacritic PS3 Average: 78.11
Polygon PS3 Average: 68.89
Difference: -9.22
Conclusion: Polygon rates PS3 exclusives lower than the average critic by 9.22 points on a 100 point scale.

360:
Gears of War Judgment
Halo 4
Witcher 2
Dance Central 3
Forza Horizon
Fable Journey
Steel Battalion
Kinect Star Wars

Metacritic 360 Average: 72.38
Polygon 360 Average: 61.88
Difference: -10.5
Conclusion: Polygon rates 360 games 10.5 points lower than the average critic on a 100 point scale.

Remove Kinect games from the equation and the Polygon 360 average is -8.5, which may indicate a slightly less negative bias toward 360 exclusives. However, this is based on only 4 scores, and that makes the estimated average a lot less precise. I would guess that a statistical test would reveal no significant difference between 8.5 and 9.2 based on this small number of observations.

Conclusion: Polygon scores both PS3 and 360 games lower than the Metacritic average. They score 360 games slightly lower, though probably not significantly so. In other words, NOT TEH BIAS.

Use this info however you see fit.

TheKayle

Banned
ok ill wait the reviews of the xb1 the review will decide my first console of the gen...

right now...just resogun seem ok ..but is too much retro for me ( i mean the type of game)

Superman

Polygon review was expected. Looks around a solid 8/10. For a launch game I'm more than happy. Can't wait to purchase this along with Resogun.

Top Bottom