• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Community Thread | The Fire Rises, Brother!

Mezoly

Lost in the recent events are the awesome interviews on CWR. I would specifically recommend the one with Jeremy Dunham. A lot of interesting tidbits/conversation about indies, Pysonix publishing their own game, too much games, and Nintendo.

Choomp

Banned
Colin has resigned. It's sad to see as someone who's followed and liked him for a while, but I guess I can see where it's coming from. I'll still miss him even if I didn't agree with everything he had to say

It's truly the end of an era. That being said, they'll surely be getting another fourth guy though, right?

AndyVirus

Not sure which thread to post this in, but this is probably the most cordial one (and the PS I Love You one got immensely off track). And the "good riddance" comments in the other thread I just can't be dealing with.

I thought Colin would take more of a back seat after recent developments. I expected him to reduce his role on GOG and the Gamescast to just 'guest' appearances, say once a month, with the other slot being used for the likes of Danny O'Dwyer, Sean Finnegan, game dev guests. I also expected him to move in with his girlfriend soon. But I definitely wasn't expecting him to leave the company in doing so.

Having to cover 3 or 4 topics every week, particularly on the Gamescast, becomes difficult in slow weeks, and there's only so many times you can say the same things. I bet Colin himself is tired of how often he regurgitates phrases and knowledge. His passion is writing so I thought he'd limit himself to continuing with Colin Was Right, and perhaps branch out aspects of Kinda Funny into the written word. e.g. blogs, reviews.

But here we are. Don't know if Colin ventures into this thread specifically but all the best and I hope he finds something he enjoys and keeps in close contact with Tim, Nick & Kevin (Greg goes without saying).

Mezoly

It's a sad end to an era for me. I was always a hardcore gamer but never followed the media or gaming Community. Then I discovered Beyond and it was my getaway into that world. Greg & Colin were the reason I started to follow the games media. They are the reason I know all those Sony studios names. Heck I even heard about Neogaf from Colin all those years ago. Best wishes to Colin.

Icolin

Banned
IceBreak over at r/PS4 (in the thread about Colin's departure) said it best:

Colin was the person I agreed with the least at KF but the one who I was the most interested in hearing speak.

I'll obviously still watch KF, but I think that Colin leaving fills a huge void and will make KF content less interesting.

Hopefully Colin will still do a dedicated gaming show.

Colin went and followed JonTron.

I've always respected the guy but I don't know if I can follow him down this path if he doesn't have a problem with what JT is doing

As for the resignation it's sad but I can't say I'm shocked or even sad. I've noticed a change in Colin over the years and where I used to admire and love his discussions I feel like it got to a point where they were too angry, cynical, and lacking in empathy. Sorry to repeat myself as I've posted this before but it's the truth.

It's sad to see people blaming the other guys, or the tweet, for this. As someone who regularly pays attention to the group the writing was on the wall for a long time. Colin has been increasingly less engaged in the gaming talk, especially on the GamesCast where he's been phoning it in. I just don't think that's where his passion is anymore. His mention of his book and increasing political talk + Colin Was Right topics showed he's more interested in discussing things other than trophies. Which is fine, I just don't agree with how he's handling these discussions or what he's saying.

I wish the best for him but I think this is a good thing for everyone. The KF Patreon will take a hit and they'll need to regroup and refocus but they'll be stronger for it. The community won't be split between the anti-PC Colin fanbase and the inclusive one Greg/Tim promote. Wounds heal and I hope they find a way to bring in a fresh voice, I think it was needed a long time ago.

Icolin

Banned
Colin went and followed JonTron.

I've always respected the guy but I don't know if I can follow him down this path if he doesn't have a problem with what JT is doing

Tim, Nick, Angry Joe, Insomniac Games and others still follow JonTron on Twitter, so I don't get this point.

Not saying following him is good, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Choomp

Banned
Tim, Nick, Angry Joe, Insomniac Games and others still follow JonTron on Twitter, so I don't get this point.

Not saying following him is good, but I don't think it means what you think it means.

Like the joke, it's the timing of it, and what we can assume from it. As someone who's followed both JonTron and Colin for a very long time, loving both of them, I understand the point.

A lot of people followed him for years and just haven't bothered to reverse it. To specifically go and follow him right now, after he outed himself as a giant shitbag? You don't see that as a red flag?

Icolin

Banned
A lot of people followed him for years and just haven't bothered to reverse it. To specifically go and follow him right now, after he outed himself as a giant shitbag? You don't see that as a red flag?

Do we know when exactly he followed JonTron though? Anyways, I'll just leave it at that. Sorry if my original post was rude.

Do we know when exactly he followed JonTron though? Anyways, I'll just leave it at that. Sorry if my original post was rude.

We don't have a timestamp but when you look at someone's followers you see the most recent ones first. Jon is right after Glenn Beck which only came about in the last week so it's safe to say it's *very* recent

Of course there's no proof of his intentions or why/when he did so, so I digress. But it's not a good look.

Icolin

Banned
Those comments... yeesh.

They're dumb, but those, along with the posts on the KF subreddit and the KF forums tell you where the majority of the KF community sides on this issue, IMO, which is that they're longer interested or as interested in KF because of Colin's departure.

Losing Colin is a massive blow, and that cannot be understated.

Haven't watched the Morning Show, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I wonder what happens to KF TAS. Colin's brother was the main animator. Now that Colin is gone, will he want to continue doing the project? If not, I don't know what will happen.

RoKKeR

They're dumb, but those, along with the posts on the KF subreddit and the KF forums tell you where the majority of the KF community sides on this issue, IMO, which is that they're longer interested or as interested in KF because of Colin's departure.

Losing Colin is a massive blow, and that cannot be understated.

It really is, will be felt for quite some time. I know I will probably reduce the amount of content I consume from them, simply because I always found Colin to be the most compelling character of the bunch, even when I wasn't necessarily in agreement with him.

Zukkoyaki

I'm interested in the direction Kinda Funny goes in from here. They're going to need at least one other significant gamer in the group unless they plan to phase out Kinda Funny Games and focus more on general pop culture. I also think PSILY is dead in the water now. It already had a lot of overlap with the morning show and gamescast and Greg and Colin as a duo was kind of the whole point of the podcast. Plus there's the animated show...

Interesting time for the group. Though I think they'll end up okay.

ghornett

Neo Member
Haven't watched the Morning Show, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I wonder what happens to KF TAS. Colin's brother was the main animator. Now that Colin is gone, will he want to continue doing the project? If not, I don't know what will happen.

Nick mentioned it would continue with Colin's participation. Sounded like they had a few episodes written already.

I still need to update it! I feel so bad that I kept promising an update and never did it. I would do it right now now that I'm thinking of it but I'm actually covering PAX. Hey, maybe I'll see the guys tomorrow!

Now you REALLY need to update it!

So what is Colin going to do? Unknown?

Unknown, but we do know he's been in the process of writing a book for quite a while. So, maybe he'll focus on that in the meanwhile.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Cross post from the Colin thread as people seem more interested in the Colin thing (I get why) and I was posting about KoF and where they go from here.

All of this is irrespective of the current events of the past few weeks.

Getting to their actual content they do have a hole to fill.

Nick is great for regular Kind of Funny, but he doesn't bring anything for KoF Games. Tim is sorta their Nintendo guy, but he lacks the breath of knowledge.

So there is a hole there to find someone opposite Greg to fill.

Colin will be easier to replace on the GameOverGreggy show. Plus the daily show has gone to a rotating duo already.

There definitely is a content hole to fill and they need to find someone who's big enough to push back on different opinions especially on the games side so as not to have Greg's opinion be defacto.

They've needed a change up for a while as I stated earlier in this thread though. 18 months or so ago Colin was going through depression (I've clinically been there) and he wasn't playing much. Plus on multiple occasions said he wasn't​ imagining himself doing KoF years down the road. Felt like he checked out long ago in terms of the business and having fun.

I do understand the trio of Tim, Nick, and Greg doesn't inspire long term confidence for the gaming side of KoF. Feels like regular pop culture KoF will be easier to ride out.

Vanillalite

I hope they don't rush to find a replacement.

Considering the GoG Show is filmed in 1 go I'd rather them just have a few guests on for a month while they let things chill out for a bit. Tim & Greg could do the Gamescast duo. Then just rotate the 3 of them on the daily show.

Very good episode, very emotional, they make it sound like the door is always open for Colin to come back.

I feel bad for everyone involved, poor timing all around.
A fire that could have been contained if not for Pax but that would have just prolonged the inevitable, Colin wanted to do his own thing and they all support him, this podcast made me bump up my patreon.

Vanillalite

Just him, as far as I know. Maybe there were others. The list of people I follow on Twitter from IGN keeps shrinking.

I can't keep track of wtf IGN is doing anymore.

Seems like every few months I finally learn who the new people are. Then the old people either leave or get let go, and then another crop of new people show up.

I'm kinda baffled on why they got rid of Vince especially seeing as there are newer people on the staff without his experience. :/

I can't keep track of wtf IGN is doing anymore.

Seems like every few months I finally learn who the new people are. Then the old people either leave or get let go, and then another crop of new people show up.

I'm kinda baffled on why they got rid of Vince especially seeing as there are newer people on the staff without his experience. :/

There are people who joined IGN after the guys left that have already left IGN.

redfox088

Banned
The irony is he spent the past two PS ILY shows Harping on a fan mailer who said he was tired of female protagonist in gaming( guy planned on skipping Horizon) Colin felt strongly about it even to announce it would be the topic of the next CWR....sucks

ST2K

IGN is a turnstyle that views its editors as completely replaceable at this point. It isn't what it once was.

Vince would be cool. I don't know much about his tastes in games, besides that he's into retro stuff, but they need someone who complements Greg and Tim so they can get a broader perspective on things.

Top Bottom