• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kinda Funny Games: Developer Interview with Hellblade 2 Studio Head Dom Matthews

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

- Development is complete, no day 1 patch but they will look into updates post-launch
- 100% performance captured, every movement, combat animation is captured. For comparison, HB1 required 2 days of performance capture. HB2 required 69 days of performance capture.
- Consulted with psychosis experts / professors to capture accurate feel of Senua's state
- Worked with Epic on Unreal Engine 5
- 80 people worked on the game
- Dolby Atmos supported
- Asked about the marketing, Dom says he's just focused on getting the game out Tuesday right now
- They did not feel the need to artificially lenghten the game, they wanted the game to be the appropriate for their story
- Greg asks Dom about the recent studio closures and Dom briefly comments on it but mostly avoids answering it directly
- Dom talks positively about Phil and Mat having no issue letting NT make the game they wanted
- NT felt like they needed to make a sequel worthy to the firs game
- Asked about a possible Enslaved Odyssey to the West sequel, Dom said that is not up to them

Last edited:

Reckheim

I'm looking forward to it, sometimes is refreshing to play something that is more compact in its presentation then another open world collect fest.

feynoob

Smells like a certain game. Hopefully it doesn't turn like that
Fps Ada GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

clarky

Gold Member
- They did not feel the need to artificially lenghten the game, they wanted the game to be the appropriate for their story

Thank you
Im down with this also.

If this is a great experience that i can blast through in 2 or 3 sessions then im all for it.

This is great. problem is when the game doesnt sell well because of its subject matter and phil shuts them down 6 months later.
Well this is people's chance to support more experimental, non-mainstream products. I'm sure it'll come to PS5 also eventually.

Budget price. Sub available. Up to consumers. Sounds like the execs gave the game a shot to exist.

feynoob

Well this is people's chance to support more experimental, non-mainstream products. I'm sure it'll come to PS5 also eventually.

Budget price. Sub available. Up to consumers. Sounds like the execs gave the game a shot to exist.
Won't happen as long as gamepass exist.

This on Phil's hand, especially with tango closure.

NT has no legs here.

Won't happen as long as gamepass exist.

This on Phil's hand, especially with tango closure.

NT has no legs here.
I'm tired of this crap. Sub to GP if you want to play it. That counts. New subs joining is what they want. If you want to really support them, sub for 2 months and play multiple games. It's ultimately up to people to support it one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with subscribing. Subscribing is the main thing that was supposed to make these kinds of experimental projects viable.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Hopefully it means that the games is using v5.4 cuz otherwise it'll be a shit show again performance wise.
- Asked about a possible Enslaved Odyssey to the West sequel
eoHFYd2.gif

How about asking if they're looking into going independent again while there's still time?

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

I’ll support it on GamePass, which I already had, so no increase in numbers (I.e. not supporting at all).

This game is probably not going to be good and therefore shouldn’t be supported if it’s the 5/10 that’s expected

Last edited:

adamsapple

Hopefully it means that the games is using v5.4 cuz otherwise it'll be a shit show again performance wise.

5.4 was released just a few weeks ago, this game has been in development for a while. I don't think it'd be using 5.4.

I’ll support it on GamePass, which I already had, so no increase in numbers (I.e. not supporting at all).

This game is probably not going to be good and therefore shouldn’t be supported if it’s the 5/10 that’s expected

5/10 expected by whom? 🤔

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Thank you
Yes,this should be the norm. So many games potential ruined because of the retarded idea that a game needs to be over 40 hours to appease the masses.

Fuck the masses,bring your vision to life,whether it's 2 hours,6 hours or 20 hours,do the damn experience justice and stop fucking up the pacing of the game just to add in 50 worthless sidequests and an empty open world just to add in another half a game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
5.4 was released just a few weeks ago, this game has been in development for a while. I don't think it'd be using 5.4.
It was released to the public a few weeks ago. Working with Epic directly as a developer means access to engine updates far in advance before it goes to public for everyone else.

well, with the understanding we're talking here about possibly one such product per studio per console generation?...

Kuranghi

Him: "Look I don't have time to personally organise and execute all the marketing for the game I'm the head of the studio!"
Person: "Of course not, that would be ludicrious, generally you'd use a marketing team for tha-"
Him: "LOOK I DONT HAVE TIME TO DO IT!"

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
5/10 expected by whom?

A 5 hour walk and talk game with minimal gameplay doesn’t tend to score well, if the order is anything to go by

That said, it doesn’t mean the game is awful or anything. Even The Order was nice to play for the graphics whore aspect.

Just not seeing a lot of meat here and a largely forgettable and potentially annoying (psychological based? Ehhh)

adamsapple

A 5 hour walk and talk game with minimal gameplay doesn’t tend to score well, if the order is anything to go by

That said, it doesn’t mean the game is awful or anything. Even The Order was nice to play for the graphics whore aspect.

Just not seeing a lot of meat here and a largely forgettable and potentially annoying (psychological based? Ehhh)

I don't think the length of a game should ever be a detrimental factor for its review scores, unless it's a case where it's artificially padding it just for a bullet point. If the game has meaningful content, doesn't matter if it's 2 hours or 50.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I don't think the length of a game should ever be a detrimental factor for its review scores, unless it's a case where it's artificially padding it just for a bullet point. If the game has meaningful content, doesn't matter if it's 2 hours or 50.

It is a factor though, this was in development for many years and hyped up as a big game by MS to show off the Series X

Granted the cost is less so they already acknowledge this somewhat.

Ultimately I think the content won’t really be compelling from a story or gameplay perspective, but it will have nice visuals

Killjoy-NL

This.

Their games have always been short.
But Heavenly Sword is easily one of the best PS3 games I've played and same for Hellblade on PS4.

feynoob

I'm tired of this crap. Sub to GP if you want to play it. That counts. New subs joining is what they want. If you want to really support them, sub for 2 months and play multiple games. It's ultimately up to people to support it one way or the other. There's nothing wrong with subscribing. Subscribing is the main thing that was supposed to make these kinds of experimental projects viable.
You can talk to that lazy donkey matt booty.
Guy shutdown tango because he didn't like traveling there. Even though hifi rush was a game pass hit. And the company being Japanese had more merit's than ninja theory.

gokurho

- Development is complete, no day 1 patch but they will look into updates post-launch
- 100% performance captured, every movement, combat animation is captured. For comparison, HB1 required 2 days of performance capture. HB2 required 69 days of performance capture.
- Consulted with psychosis experts / professors to capture accurate feel of Senua's state
- 80 people worked on the game
- Dolby Atmos supported
- Asked about the marketing, Dom says he's just focused on getting the game out Tuesday right now
- Greg asks Dom about the recent studio closures and Dom briefly comments on it but mostly avoids answering it directly
- Dom talks positively about Phil and Mat having no issue letting NT make the game they wanted
- NT felt like they needed to make a sequel worthy to the firs game
- Asked about a possible Enslaved Odyssey to the West sequel, Dom said that is not up to them

Celebration Ocean GIF by Lorraine Nam

Top Bottom