• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (really) Rottenwatch - Currently 5% RT / 44 MC

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
BTW there is almost no way that this movie started life being called "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword" - I can already hear focus groups chattering as they slowly evolved it from a cool name like "Excalibur"* to this banal hyper literal word salad.

Anyone know if it was really always called this?

* Obviously that name is taken.

Edit: Better, but still lame:

In January 2014, Warner Bros set Guy Ritchie to direct a new multi-film version of the King Arthur legend. The first film was to be titled Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur,[10] with Lionel Wigram as producer and Joby Harold as screenwriter.[11][12] It is the intended first installment of a planned six film series.[13]

I can't wait for filming of the next one to begin...

aBarreras

is guy ritchie movie throught and throught, i cannnot comprehend the people hating on it, i guess robert downey jr carried the sherlock movies because, it is more of the same

really liked the movie is such a shame people are attacking it without even watching

is guy ritchie movie throught and throught, i cannnot comprehend the people hating on it, i guess robert downey jr carried the sherlock movies because, it is more of the same

really liked the movie is such a shame people are attacking it without even watching
So people should just waste money on a movie that many have deemed to be bad to be able to attack it? lol

Pingween

Movie was pretty good. Not really sure what RT is on about? It was damn hype and I agree with the poster who compared this to Dark Souls because that's what I was thinking about during the movie all the time.

Came here looking for this, thank god I wasn't the only one thinking about Dark Souls during the movie..... now I kind of want a Dark Souls movie

This was a great film. We live in strange times where this film gets eviscerated and Alien Covenant gets mostly positive reviews.

I wouldn't say it's "great," but I saw it a 2nd time on a date and enjoyed it more. Certainly more enjoyable than Alien Covenant. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to enjoying films, though.

Lol what? So people should just not watch a movie, and just start attacking a movie because they read bad reviews?

A lot of the reviews outline perfectly why this movie is a mess. I watched it opening day and while there's some good in it, I am not surprised by the reception it's getting. It's not a Suicide Squad level tirefire but still.

jmood88

Why are these strangers opinions so important to you? Can't you decide for yourself?
I swear this exact same quote pops up in every thread about a movie with bad reviews. It has nothing to do with needing a stranger's opinion and everything to do with the trailers looking like trash and not making people excited to see the movie.

Took my 11 year old son to see it on Saturday, he loved it, I was a bit meh. Had all the ingredients, good effects, good cast, great scenery etc. It just came across as a bit confused. I usually like Ritchies style but it just doesn't fit in this. Maybe an anti-directors cut is needed.....

Aselith

A lot of the reviews outline perfectly why this movie is a mess. I watched it opening day and while there's some good in it, I am not surprised by the reception it's getting. It's not a Suicide Squad level tirefire but still.

Yes, they support their opinion like good critics do. However if you're going to criticize something you should still see it for yourself and then form your own opinion.

It doesn't really make sense to attack something that you haven't been able to form an opinion on. I mean you technically CAN, it's just kind of nonsensical to actually do it. It's a little weird to criticize something based solely on other people's critiques, no?

I don't think you have to know much more than the budget, it's box office performance and have seen a trailer to "attack" it for being such a misguided attempt at a cinematic universe.

I saw it yesterday.

People are being far too harsh on this film, though I understand it.

The first part of this movie is actually really good and I was thinking too myself the whole time, they've got something here. The style, the dialogue, the setting, the characters, it all works. Then it falls apart.

It feels like there are two films in this. There is the start till
The Dark Lands
and post that to the end of the film. The film should have either have been 45 mins longer, or split into two.

By trying to cram so much in, it really doesn't allow for any character development. There are a lot of good actors in this film and it really bothers me that for the most part, you don't get more than 2 mins of dialogue in total for each character. Another that bothers me and that I find frankly insulting, is that the only strong female character in this, doesn't even have a NAME!!!!!! That said, her delivery of dialogue was soooooooo wooden that I groaned each time they talked.

One thing about good epic fantasy or sci-fi is that the story is almost the backdrop to the characters. If you don't develop your characters then we don't care. I mean LOTR doesn't have a huge focus on all the characters inner turmoil, it showed them. Aragon accepting the throne. Frodo's turmoil with the ring. It showed there development.

In this film there was such a mismatch in tones at points, I actually laughed. Arthur in the mud screaming his anguish, then cracking a joke in the next scene. At times it feels there are two different directors.

This film had the potential to be great. However when you look at the list of producers in this film...There are way too many cooks in the kitchen.

Final thoughts, should have been two separate films, should have hired one producer who can handle Guy, could have been great.

5/10.

Aselith

I don't think you have to know much more than the budget, it's box office performance and have seen a trailer to "attack" it for being such a misguided attempt at a cinematic universe.

It's hard for me to agree tbh. I mean there are plenty of movies that were attempting to establish universes that failed critically and financially that are actually pretty solid movies like The Golden Compass and Gaf darling Dredd. It's always worth viewing the material before you dunk on it even if it just confirms your preexisting opinion.

I... enjoyed this and wouldn't mind sitting through it again. Ritchie's style really made this better than it had any right to be. Fun film.

Zakalwe

Banned
I really enjoyed this. I went in with the lowest expectations and I left baffled by the reviews.

Sure, it's messy at times. Sure, Ritchie's style can be abrasive as much as fun, and I get that many don't like the style applied to this particular legend, but there's so much done right here.

The way magic is used is brilliant. The mage's control of animals, the sword's power, if felt both suitably fantastic but also quite reserved. Like the sequences with Uther and the few battles/moments where Arthur is learning to use the sword, they were quite short, sharp sequences that showcased the power and showed just enough. It felt somewhat grounded despite being so silly, I really enjoyed that.

I really liked Jude's Vortigern, too. He was vulnerable enough in his madness to be compelling enough of a threat, and I bought him as a feared, terrible king.

I found Charlie a little bit too obnoxious/arrogant to be likeable, he felt a little too perfect and aware of it. I think if a more charismatic actor had taken the lead the film would have been a lot better received, but that might just be my preference getting in the way. He wasn't awful at all, I just didn't like him enough to really care about the character.

The tone was also all over the place, which hurts the overall appeal a lot.

The writing was generally fine, as was the acting. Casting decent, pacing in the first part snappy, and the visuals were stunning at times.

As others have said, fun film despite its flaws. It could have been great though, which stings a little.

Topper

Went in with no expectation and really enjoyed this, I would love to see a follow up but I'm guessing that isn't going to happen now. I really liked the mage character, there's some cool scenes with her.

DrBo42

CG is pretty horrendous in this at times. Ultimately watchable while Hunnam is very mediocre. If you're into Authurian legend you might be wholly against what Ritchie does with it. Not something I would pay more than a matinee price for or a rental.

Top Bottom