• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighter ALL STAR PC beta client

Dunno how many of y'all care, because mobile gacha game etc., but there is a king of fighters beat em up game on mobile made by netmarble.
Also posted this in the KOF15 thread, but I figured it could use its own thread.

Today they released the beta of the pc client:
I've been playing this game since it launched and I enjoy it quite a bit, so I thought of sharing the pc release for any KOF fans with similar interests; There's currently enough content to play through the story mode of 9 games, '94 -'02.

King of fighters Allstar is also notorious for having cool collaborations every couple months, the latest one was with GGxrd, and the most surprising one being with WWE...yes if you were playing during that time (there have been no reruns yet), the Rock is a playable character.
They also add their own spin on characters called "all star" characters, these include things like a "boss" version of leona and a female version of brian.
I've recorded a little gameplay of one of the harder modes, also showing some of the collab characters:

Since the client is a beta, there are some things of note:
On first launch the UI might be a bit screwed up, this can be fixed by going into full screen (F11) and then restarting the game.
The game doesn't automatically switch between keyboard and controller, if you want to use a controller, you have to go into settings and pick it in key setup.
current keybindings can be shown in-game at any time by pressing F1.
The graphics quality slider doesn't seem to be doing anything atm, seems to be stuck on the lowest setting.

Pejo

I played this game for a bit around launch. I remember having fun but, but I hit a paywall fairly early into the game, so instead of getting involved in another gacha game, I ended up dropping it. Also, they do the "seasonal characters are different characters" thing which I'm not much of a fan of anymore, since it's just an avenue to extract more money.

For what it's worth Mega Man X DiVE also recently got a PC client, and I think it hits the same monetization wall as this one does, despite being a sorta fun mega man game in its own right until that point.

At least with KOF we're still getting mainline games, which takes a bit of the sting off.

Last edited:
I played this game for a bit around launch. I remember having fun but, but I hit a paywall fairly early into the game
Things were rough at the start yeah, but they introduced several systems to make it easier to play. Like the awakening system, you can basically make any character very strong now as long as you have pulled duplicate copies.
They upped the rates and also implemented hard pities on pulls, and you can actually choose a couple characters/equipment you want as the "rate up".
There's also enough content now for a new player to get just an ass load of pulls, and most updates that feature a collab or "Boss/Special" character, also get at least 8 pulls free; you need 20 to hit the pity on these banners, but with a bunch of saving before hand, you can easily get it.

Last edited:

nkarafo

v6lddbki7nh31.jpg

//DEVIL//

I have been playing this since day one . But this game man . Will take you forever if you don’t spend money on it. Specially to get the BS bosses .

And then you need to level those BS 5 stars lol. Yeah good luck

Last edited:
And then you need to level those BS 5 stars lol. Yeah good luck
I barely spend though, I got everything from the DOA collab without spending a dime, A5 honoka, A4 marie rose, A1 nyotengu; also got BS leona to A5, with her full card set and spent nothing.
There's only two instances where I spent a chunk in this game, at the start when they dropped nakoruru, when the rates were shit and there was no pity for her, I dropped 40 to get her.
After they introduced pity and rate up picks, I didn't spend at all any more until the GGxrd collab, I bought the second tier battle pass then to finish up my pulls and get everyone.

Also A4 and A5 are really not needed, they add a bit of extra power, but A3 is the most important one, so sure keep summoning for your fav until they are A5, but after A3 there's just sharply diminishing returns.

Also they gave away SS chizuru and her card set, and she's amazing, especially for new players; with the next collab they are bound to give away another amazing character.
The free SS and BS memories are also becoming more frequent, eventually they'll just be like any other memory.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I barely spend though, I got everything from the DOA collab without spending a dime, A5 honoka, A4 marie rose, A1 nyotengu; also got BS leona to A5, with her full card set and spent nothing.
There's only two instances where I spent a chunk in this game, at the start when they dropped nakoruru, when the rates were shit and there was no pity for her, I dropped 40 to get her.
After they introduced pity and rate up picks, I didn't spend at all any more until the GGxrd collab, I bought the second tier battle pass then to finish up my pulls and get everyone.

Also A4 and A5 are really not needed, they add a bit of extra power, but A3 is the most important one, so sure keep summoning for your fav until they are A5, but after A3 there's just sharply diminishing returns.

Also they gave away SS chizuru and her card set, and she's amazing, especially for new players; with the next collab they are bound to give away another amazing character.
The free SS and BS memories are also becoming more frequent, eventually they'll just be like any other memory.
All I care about is having at least 2 SS and BS in each color.

Problem is most of my BS are Level A1 level 10 means they are awaken but just first level .

I only have one level 5a is that character from guilty gear forgot her name with 2 big ass swords.

The game is fun don’t get me wrong . But man I really feel sorry for the new players . 3 years I spent on this game lol

I only have one level 5a is that character from guilty gear forgot her name with 2 big ass swords.
This is why collabs are very important to summon on in this game, cause they are powerful as hell and super easy to upgrade; most A3+ characters I have are collab characters.
The game is fun don’t get me wrong . But man I really feel sorry for the new players . 3 years I spent on this game lol
I dunno man, I feel like there's enough freebies that if you just save a bit, and maybe skip a banner, you'll hit the pity every time you do summon. I'm only 4 multi-pulls away from the pity on the current mary/terry banner, and I didn't save or spend at all.
With the first BS/SS banners it was rougher yeah, because they only lasted 2 weeks, now the banners last a month, so there's enough free weekly currencies imo.

Top Bottom