• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters '94 gets the remake treatment

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/08/12/news_6104707.html

TOKYO--A King of Fighters '94 remake will be released on a home console within the year, according to the series' tenth anniversary promotional Web site. The news came as SNK Playmore announced a new campaign where it will randomly give away figurines of KOF characters to people who purchase three KOF games that will be released in 2004. One of the three games listed is the aforementioned remake, due in December.

King of Fighters '94 is the only KOF title that hasn't been ported to a home console other than the NeoGeo AES. The KOF 94 remake will most likely be released on the PlayStation 2, considering that the game will be on DVD and that the other two KOF games are also for the PS2.

belgurdo

Banned
That game needed a serious overhaul...it'll likely get an engine change (i.e., the elimination of finger twister supers and inclusion of '98 style gameplay) and additional characters (read: Iori)

WarPig

Alternatively, they won't change a thing and soften the blow slightly by charging 3,980 yen or whatever.

DFS.

WarPig

CVXFREAK said:
Couldn't they also offer the original version alongside the remake?

The reference on the SNK site is really vague -- they don't exactly say whether it's a remake or a port or what the hell it is, other than KOF '94. So there's really no conclusions to be drawn yet, I think.

DFS.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
It better not be a straight port. If it's a redrawn remake, that could be cool, as long as they update the gameplay as well.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that's stupid. if it's just kof '94 it's pointless, and if it's a remake it's a waste of resources. they should do hyper king of fighters instead, with every version of every character. and every background. and every music track. that'd be an unbelievable sprawling mess, but it'd also be pretty cool.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
drohne said:
that's stupid. if it's just kof '94 it's pointless, and if it's a remake it's a waste of resources. they should do hyper king of fighters instead, with every version of every character. and every background. and every music track. that'd be an unbelievable sprawling mess, but it'd also be pretty cool.

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

doncale

Banned
I guess this is nice for KoF fans. I never cared for the KoF series much. I played '94 and '95 a few times but after that I could never get into it. I know its not the name team, but, I wish older Neo Geo games like Magician Lord and Nam 75 could be remade, instead of (forgive me) just another boring fighter.

meh.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
I'm guessing it's a low-priced port with a bunch of bonus historical stuff for the anniversary.

they should put in a world heroes team like snk usa's old print ad said it would have.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Magician Lord was not made by SNK...it was an ADK game BTW.

ourumov said:
Shit...
I would rather see a remake of KOF 96...The best King of Fighters ever :)

Ugh....shut up. It's a FACT that KOF '98 is the best KOF, and one of the greatest fighting games ever made, period. ;)

Is Gamespot certain of this info though? There's a web page on Playmore's site with a fictional conversation between some KOF characters and an SNK employee that answers questions about what you probably won't see in KOF, and IIRC a remake is one of them. They also show a high-res sprite of Athena from KOF '94, but again, I'm pretty sure that someone translating the page said this is all stuff that is NOT happening. Guess we'll know for sure pretty soon, or is this confirmed on the DVD that comes with KOF Maximum Impact (which rocks!)?

Where the hell is KOF 2004 info already?

WarPig

Lyte Edge said:
Is Gamespot certain of this info though?

It's a little hinky. It's in the latest one of those Q&A features, August 11, and the guy clearly lists "'94 rimeiku" as the game coming out in December that you have to get to snag the Pinky's figures. I'm not sure whether the Saisyu guy answering isn't telling him he's full of shit or not. So it's confusing. Gamespot's Japan correspondent usually knows his shit, though.

I like KOF '97 the best, but I freely admit to being a weird fucker.

DFS.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Ladies and gentlemen.
Presenting... The King of Fighters '97 soundtrack:
prop_applause.jpg

WarPig

dog$ said:
Ladies and gentlemen.
Presenting... The King of Fighters '97 soundtrack:
prop_applause.jpg

Yeah, the soundtrack as a whole sucked a lotta dick. But it also had the Billy Kane theme, so it evens out, sorta.

DFS.

I kinda think all of the KOF games have sucked seriously since the institution of the Playmore brand name. I think beginning with 2000, pretty much.

For the record, I think 95 was the best, though there's a lot of votes for 98, too :)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Johnny Konami said:
I kinda think all of the KOF games have sucked seriously since the institution of the Playmore brand name. I think beginning with 2000, pretty much.

For the record, I think 95 was the best, though there's a lot of votes for 98, too :)

Naw, KOF 2000 was made by the "old" SNK and was pretty much their last fighting game. From what I've read, Playmore pretty much IS the older SNK (obviously minus some staff) with a new name, though, so... :p

KOF 2002 rocked, so does 2003, so I'm happy with Playmore. I haven't played KOF Newwave; only seen it the arcades, and it's hard to count it as a new game so much as it is another version of 2002, and I'm really enjoying KOF Maximum Impact on the PS2 right now. Overall I feel Playmore has done KOF justice since taking over.

Not only is 98 the best KOPF, but it has the best tag-line for a fighter, ever: "Dream Match Never Ends." When I get drunk enough, I'm getting that tattooed on my forehead.

Lyte Edge said:
Naw, KOF 2000 was made by the "old" SNK and was pretty much their last fighting game. From what I've read, Playmore pretty much IS the older SNK (obviously minus some staff) with a new name, though, so... :p

Well that's kinda why I worded it the way I did - but something's changed, I think they lost some of the magic somewhere along the line recently. I don't feel too keen about other recent offerings like SvC Chaos and SS Zero, either - something muddy about the way they all play.

KoF 99 on DC is the same as 98 right?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Lyte Edge said:
From what I've read, Playmore pretty much IS the older SNK (obviously minus some staff) with a new name, though, so... :p

i hope you're not referring to the pronouncements of ben herman, or playmore japan's head executive, or whoever. perhaps playmore's corporate brass are the same people who ran snk, but the snk development teams are clearly gone. and i don't think "minus some staff" quite covers it.

belgurdo

Banned
Johnny Konami said:

2001 is pretty much the only bad part in the series, and that's largely because of the music and the fact that the characters hadn't changed much. 2002-3 are pretty awesome though

Grifter

FortNinety said:
Not only is 98 the best KOPF, but it has the best tag-line for a fighter, ever: "Dream Match Never Ends." When I get drunk enough, I'm getting that tattooed on my forehead.

You should get "The Slugfest" instead.

2003 and 2002 are two of the best entries into the series. 2000 and 2001 are awful, 99 was my favorite but most say sucks, but 99 evo for dreamcast ruled. Im still pissed kasumi has been off the roster for the last few installments. :(

Top Bottom