• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

King of Fighters XIV World Championship Finals (Tokyo, February 18th)

BadWolf

C41ZwAdUMAETegP.jpg

Website.

SNK's official tournament featuring 16 (well, it was supposed to be 16 lol, more like 15) players that either qualified via tournament wins or got in via special invites.

It will be FT1 (double elimination) so should be moving at a quick pace.

PLAYERS:

Madkof (Korea)
Alioune (France)
Cipher (Mexico)
ET (Taipei)
Xiaohai (China)
Frionel (Morocco)
Gxbridget (Taipei)
Kane Blueriver (Chile)
Ball HK (Hong Kong)
Dakou (China)
Lancer (China)
Naiwing (China)
Picnic (Japan)
Reynald (USA)
M' (Japan)
Toshi (Peru)

For quick summaries on the players check out the Orochinagi article.

Unfortunately Reynald has missed his flight due to documentation issues and won't be attending. It sounds like the tournament will proceed with the remaining 15 players.

TIME:

PST: Friday, February 17th - 10PM
EST: Saturday, February 18th - 1AM

More:

STREAMS:

Japanese (Koichi, Kindevu): https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial
English (Hellpockets, Metaphysics, Bird Josh): https://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky
Korean: https://www.twitch.tv/siek
Cantonese: https://www.twitch.tv/firemanruby2
Chinese: Douyu TV
French: http://www.jeuxvideo.com/gaming-live/tv01.htm
Spanish: https://www.twitch.tv/itzromance

DREAM TAG TOURNAMENT (after party tournament):

Arcade Shock, Sanwa and SNK are collaborating for a 2v2 after party tournament which will take place the next day (February 19th) and be open to the public, players from the championship are expected to attend as well.

Madman's Café's article about the Dream Tag Tournament for more info.

TIME:

STREAM:

https://www.twitch.tv/snkofficial

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
HYPE!

Anyone knows how to put one of those labels that shows you the time until an event on your timezone?
I suck at time zone convertion :(

Rootin' hard for Toshi!

AAK

PLAYERS:

Madkof (Korea)
Alioune (France)
Cipher (Mexico)
ET (Taipei)
Xiaohai (China)
Frionel (Morocco)
Gxbridget (Taipei)
Kane Blueriver (Chile)
Ball HK (Hong Kong)
Dakou (China)
Lancer (China)
Naiwing (China)
Picnic (Japan)
Reynald (USA)
M’ (Japan)
Toshi (Peru)

Do you know which characters they specialize in?

Shun

Do you know which characters they specialize in?

The ones I know

Japan
Sanwa|M' Kula/K'/Robert
Picnic Yuri/Leona/Mai

China
Xiaohai K'/Iori/Mai
Dakou Kyo/K'/Iori
Lancer Ryo/Iori/Mai
Naiwang Clark/Kim/Nakoruru

Taiwan
Gxbridget Gang-Il/Kukri/Luong
ET Benimaru/Andy/Leona

Hong Kong
BallHK Yuri/Mai/Leona

France
Alioune Kensou/Geese/Leona

Korea
MADKOF Robert/Verse/Mature

USA
Reynaldo Gang-Il/Luong/Benimaru

Morocco
Frionel Luong/Hein/Alice?

Chile
Kane Blueriver Robert/Kula/Nakoruru

Peru
Toshi Kensou/Kula/Mai

Only person I don't know is Cipher from Mexico.

It's amazing how well KOF XIV turned out after the initial reveal and reaction. They really deserve all the praise for the recent visual upgrade, too. Arc would have charged $60 for that.

Shun

Since it's FT1, M' is my pick to win everything since out of the players, he's the most comfortable with the format.

He's been good for so long and his team composition is the most versatile too.

I'll take M' to win over Xiaohai.

BadWolf

Forgot to mention, SNK said that they will be announcing new KOFXIV update news at the tournament.

Who knows, maybe DLC characters?

Vanessa pls.

The ones I know

I had a post typed up but you already got this covered, thanks man.

It's amazing how well KOF XIV turned out after the initial reveal and reaction. They really deserve all the praise for the recent visual upgrade, too. Arc would have charged $60 for that.

Yeah the post launch support has been top notch, gives a really nice boost in confidence to buying their future games day 1.

Since it's FT1, M' is my pick to win everything since out of the players, he's the most comfortable with the format.

He's been good for so long and his team composition is the most versatile too.

I'll take M' to win over Xiaohai.

It's still double elimination but yeah, the fact that it's FT1 made it even harder to call who will win than before.

I'll be rooting for Toshi and Madkof.

Shun

It seems like there was a change of plans and they canceled the whole 4 gods and Best 2 in China?

The Tokyo event was supposed to only go to Best 4 or Best 2, but I guess it changed?

I haven't really followed since I've been seeing if JeSPA could add KOF to their lineup.

BadWolf

It seems like there was a change of plans and they canceled the whole 4 gods and Best 2 in China?

The Tokyo event was supposed to only go to Best 4 or Best 2, but I guess it changed?

I haven't really followed since I've been seeing if JeSPA could add KOF to their lineup.

Yeah the whole thing will take place in Tokyo on the same day, SNK changed their plans as per the qualified players' requests.

Shun

Yeah the whole thing will take place in Tokyo on the same day, SNK changed their plans as per the qualified players' requests.

Yeah that's a better look, I had no idea how SNK was going to get the funding to do the dome/arena event for the Best 4/Grand Finals in China.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dang, just realized that due family stuff im gonna miss it.
Guess im gonna watch the archive =/

Fersis

Damn :/

I will edit in archive links into the top of the OP when they become available.

Show time!
lol messed up my time zone conversion.
It's 3AM here, and im up to watch some KOF!

Shun

RIP.

They kind of have to do this format because they have a strict time schedule to adhere to for the venue and for the sponsors and guests at the event.

FT1 is really really really stupid for something like this.

wut, first to 1? I bet this is because they have only one recording setup. It's a joke of tournament when this happens, fairness takes a back seat to time constraints and bad planning. Only in video game competitions can event organizers can roughshod it and get away with it, any other "sporting" event wouldn't play fast and loose with things like this I bet, this is not even some amature event lol.

Fersis

A billy in KOFXIV? Whaaa?

So far, ET and MadKOF had the best showing

HardRojo

Lol OK I'm going to sleep, this is a waste of time, whoever was in charge of organizing the tournament clearly did an abysmal job.

BadWolf

Holy shit, that match.

Xiaohai was freaking pissed, even shut down his face cam mid-match lol.

M's patience is very impressive, he collects himself extremely well when under pressure. Amazing K'.

Shun

M' adjusted so well after that first match, subbing out Kula for Robert.

So tactile, always making sure he has enough meter to continue his pressure with max mode.

Assuming Xiaohai makes it out of losers, he likely will, I wonder how he adjusts and how he will gain the momentum to win 4 straight matches.

BadWolf

Assuming Xiaohai makes it out of losers, he likely will, I wonder how he adjusts and how he will gain the momentum to win 4 straight matches.

He actually has an excellent record when it comes to coming all the way back and winning from losers.

Shun

He actually has an excellent record when it comes to coming all the way back and winning from losers.

Oh he does, I'm just curious since this isn't a character lock tournament what kind of strategy he takes to adjust. What approach since it isn't just one character, it's pressuring M' into mistakes and wasting his meter.

Pretty excited to see the finals.

Losers

GxBridget vs ET

Loser vs Xiaohai

M' vs Losers
M' vs Winners

Shun

RIP Xiaohai, wish he got that runback.

M' vs GxBridget Grand Finals.

GxBridget is a net play dude who qualified through Taiwan's netplay qualifiers.

Top Bottom