• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Come "Not interesting enough to pursue" - Gerstmann about GB's lack of coverage

Kadayi

Banned
Guess we know why Vinny didn't play it. GB is becoming Waypoint 2.0.
0yDQ6IZ.jpg

Well, that seems to fly in the face of a lot of the narrative defence of GB going on in this thread... let's try and remember the good times

*pours one out

Cato

Banned
Why are they only focusing on the blacks? Are GB so openly racist?

What about Native Americans? Why cant we play as a Navahoe Warrior?
Who are you to say they did not have a presence there?

Why does GB hate native americans?

/s

evanft

Giant Bomb, like most of the big gaming sites/magazines, is absolute trash. Their influence is minimal at best and some random /v/-user with a mic and some editing software can churn out consistently more interesting content than they ever could.

Fuck em.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
0yDQ6IZ.jpg
Well, I guess that settles it for me then.

I’ve been struggling for months now about whether I should stop listening to the Beastcast. I love Dan’s silly anecdotes, Jeff Bakalar’s humour and Vinny used to be my favourite GB personality, but, in the last 2 years he has morphed into this whiny SJW from seemingly nowhere and it’s been getting increasingly grating to listen to for me.

I remember when Giant Bomb used to make a point of not getting involved in any political bullshit, but it looks like they finally caved to the perceived pressure.

Oh well, sad day.

Giant Bomb, like most of the big gaming sites/magazines, is absolute trash. Their influence is minimal at best and some random /v/-user with a mic and some editing software can churn out consistently more interesting content than they ever could.

Fuck em.
It's laughable really if this is going to be the level of discussion moving forward. You can't in one thread exhail "Lol. HOW DARE SOMEONE NOT HAVE MY EXACT OPINION. What a bunch of babies. I'm glad those people stay over there." in one thread and then write this in another. It's petty, reductive and adds nothing to the conversation, other than a clear loud sign that you're just as intolerant of a differing opinion as those you're railing against on the other forum.

Last edited:

evanft

It's laughable really if this is going to be the level of discussion moving forward. You can't in one thread exhail "Lol. HOW DARE SOMEONE NOT HAVE MY EXACT OPINION. What a bunch of babies. I'm glad those people stay over there." in one thread and then write this in another. It's petty, reductive and adds nothing to the conversation, other than a clear loud sign that you're just as intolerant of a differing opinion as those you're railing against on the other forum.

Lol. Giant Bomb isn't trash just because of their opinions. They're trash because their content is generally low quality and lacks the depth that any number of random Youtubers can provide. Their reviews don't really say anything or provide any points of view that can't be found in basically every other large gaming site's reviews. You can pretty much copy and paste the review from IGN, Gamespot, etc. and end up with a Giant Bomb review. They bring absolutely nothing interesting or special to the table, and yet they have the audacity to charge people for some kind of laughable premium membership.

Trash.

Last edited:

Dunki

0yDQ6IZ.jpg
Looks like I was right that it was also because of Abby. She played her oppressed card like she did it with nier. Worst Crewmember ever and if this does not change until June I will cancel my sub. I already do not listenting/watching to evrything with Abby in it and the sims and dating sim shit is the worst already. Well luckily there are tons of great streamer and youtubers out there.

I wonder what they will do with Last Night if Abby is still there.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Lol. Giant Bomb isn't trash just because of their opinions. They're trash because their content is generally low quality and lacks the depth that any number of random Youtubers can provide. Their reviews don't really say anything or provide any points of view that can't be found in basically every other large gaming site's reviews. You can pretty much copy and paste the review from IGN, Gamespot, etc. and end up with a Giant Bomb review. They bring absolutely nothing interesting or special to the table, and yet they have the audacity to charge people for some kind of laughable premium membership.

Trash.
Today, I was actually looking at their site while making a post. I was surprised that they don't even have a Witcher 3 review. Like, wtf...

Trash.

GiantBomb isn't trash because of their opinions, it's trash because of their opinions; that's essentially what you're saying. Their free content output is pretty much 'here's my opinion on this thing', not to mention reviews are, more or less, opinions. It's a poor quality critique, because objectively they've done plenty to shift the needle on what gaming sites can offer to their readers/viewers . Ironically, what you lambast the most is the least interesting aspect of GiantBomb; their reviews. Something, ironically, Jeff talked about on one of the last podcasts. Random YouTubers exist as outsiders, noses pressed up onto the glass window, looking in and critiquing the industry from that perspective. There's always value in the outsider perspective, but it tends itself towards opinions littered with the Dunning-Kruger effect. There's tremendous value in their observations as industry insiders and their insights are always interesting and thoughtful. The idea that they're simply 'trash' is just surface level lip service to some slight they seemingly served you along the line. Just to point to me on the doll where Jeff inappropiately told you that your favourite game was crap and we can work through this.

Apdiddy

The game looks boring and not very interesting to play. If Giant Bomb doesn't want to talk about it, they don't have to. Jeff and co. have the right to not play every game that comes out irregardless of the creators' personal views.

Oh and OP cut this bashing resetera shit out. We get it. Sorry they pissed in your coffee this morning.

Well, first Jeff now Abby. All they had to state was 'we don't have time, or interest.' But they went that little extra step. The motives are now very clear.

Shame about that, I really enjoy Jeffs retro streams. I will continue to enjoy them but they're just not producing much content anymore. They still have their demo disc vids which are awesome, and I like their semi-disinterested E3 coverage, but it's not a place of much input to gamers and gaming culture anymore. One can see that in the rapidly declining quality of their premium output and the neglected youtube channel.

Dan is still a ray of sunshine, but I can even see his enthusiasm curbing during streams.

Last edited:

Petrae

0yDQ6IZ.jpg

Case closed.

It’s the site’s prerogative as to whether it covers a game or not, but if it doesn’t— especially in a situation like this one, where the game has already moved more than one million units— then criticism of said decision is the likely result.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Dan is still a ray of sunshine, but I can even see his enthusiasm curbing during streams.
Have you noticed how unusually quiet he has been in the last few podcasts? In the last cast I didn’t even realise he was there until like 5 minutes in. Fucking travesty.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
The world's gone fucking mental.

Get off social media.
Wear your favourite metal t-shirt.
Play your awesome medieval rpg.
Get on with your life.
Let the haters hate.

People are looking for outrage anywhere they can find it because mostly, they lead pathhetic boring and uneventful lives. Don't stoop to their level.

The reason it feels fucked up and totally bonkers is because it is. If someone wants to make a game or movie from a period where certain minorities were either not there or less prevalent then they should be able to without being called a fucking Nazi. These "warriors" need to pull their fucking heads out of their asses.

With as much coverage as this game is already getting, why does this even matter?

Well, you said it. It ultimately doesn't matter as far as the game is concerned.

But some of us are sad to see gaming journalists we've been following since the 90's finally reach total irrelevance in the industry. I used to collect gaming magazines, call me old school. Hard to let go of the old ways and in turn, the old guard. I just never expected these 'professional gaming enthusiasts' to go out with such a pitiful whimper. I'm both angry and relieved. It had to happen I guess. Times change. But...not like this.

Last edited:

Dizagaox

Wearing a Burzum t is racist now? fucking hell.
Yes it is. He was openly part of a white supremacy group. Neo Nazis were his primary audience. The guy is also a murderer, so that's an issue too, albeit separate.

The absolute lengths some of you will go to to defend a Nazi.

Dizagaox

I dont find it racist if there is no people of color in the game as the game is trying to be historical.
That isn't the issue. The developer's own racist and sexist attitudes are. I suggest you have a casual scroll down his Twitter feed, if you can't be assed to read interviews or see posts he's made on forums, Gamer Gate sites and even alt-right forums.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
No, it fucking isn't.
I think they were being sarcastic.

EDIT: Nah, scratch that. Same old type making accusations and providing no evidence.

(I actually thought the initial post had to be sarcastic because of how truly ridiculous it was. Guess I was wrong).

Last edited:
That isn't the issue. The developer's own racist and sexist attitudes are. I suggest you have a casual scroll down his Twitter feed, if you can't be assed to read interviews or see posts he's made on forums, Gamer Gate sites and even alt-right forums.
You have flat out called the man a Nazi. Post evidence to support your accusation. Don't allude to 'things he's said' or his 'twitter feed'. Post evidence.

Harlock

Waypoint nobody expect nothing, but Giantbomb we all have good memories of what was years ago. Time destroy everything.

Call it what it is. You're allowed to like it, I don't care, but get your head out the sand. To have the nerve to say to someone advocating white power and the expulsion of Muslims and Jews from France and Norway isn't racist? GTFO.
That I have to explain to you that you can like music without agreeing with the views of the creator, is astounding to me.

Political or no i really don't see why them covering this gam matters, it's a free world and they can do whatever the fuck they want *shrugs*

Dizagaox

He’s gone off the deep end with this trolling. It’s not even subtle.
The trolling here is people like yourself pretending Daniel Vavra hasn't made and done so truly vile comments or actions, whether confirmed or alleged.

The Burzum T-shirt is just one of them. Yes, he wore it to make a statement. It's no different to the dozens of other politicised T-shirts he wears.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...cal-accuracy-pushes-white-supremacy-in-games/

It takes a special type of person to promote their game on Breitbart.

Anyways this thread basically has done the opposite of what it intended. Good for Giant Bomb for shunning KCD. It still managed to nab £30 from me, but next time I'll be better informed.

Last edited:
The trolling here is people like yourself pretending Daniel Vavra hasn't made and done so truly vile comments or actions, whether confirmed or alleged.

The Burzum T-shirt is just one of them. Yes, he wore it to make a statement. It's no different to the dozens of other politicised T-shirts he wears.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...cal-accuracy-pushes-white-supremacy-in-games/

It takes a special type of person to promote their game on Breitbart.

Anyways this thread basically has done the opposite of what it intended. Good for Giant Bomb for shunning KCD. It still managed to nab £30 from me, but next time I'll be better informed.
I am still waiting for you to provide evidence that this person is a Nazi. You said he is. Prove it.

And no, wearing a Burzum t shit is not evidence in any way, shape or form. I mean, it has been conclusively debunked in this thread already but that hasn't hindered your attempts at character assassination in any way.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
It takes a special type of person to promote their game on Breitbart..

From that piece: -

Addressing Bethesda Game Studios’ open-world role-playing game The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Cooper said, “Medievally-themed [sic] video games are a space where whiteness can be anchored, in a ‘happy history’ where a world is free of multiculturalism and white guilt.”

Has Cooper even played Skyrim or any of the Elderscrolls games? Apparently not if that's her takeaway. There's POC in the game, as well as different races.

Last edited:

Frostman

The actual gameplay experience isn't very close, though, is it? Other than the save system, I like what KCD is trying to do with its more "realistic" systems, but I don't find it hard to believe that someone who loves Elder Scrolls would find KCD to be terribly boring and tedious.

No.... it’s actually much better imo. Which makes this current subject look even worse in my mind.

They took some of the best things from ES, added some things, much improved others and it’s being thrown away as “not interesting enough”.

thelawof4

The trolling here is...
I have never read a single article on Breitbart and i think that particular one is not that bad i think? Daniel Vávra seems to be a pretty even-tempered man that is recognizing that the whole discussion is valid but the criticism of him is not.

Last edited:

Shifty

0yDQ6IZ.jpg
One out of ten staffers who is already known to be politically outspoken doth not a whole site make.

But hey let's just ignore everything before the first comma and jump directly to GOTCHA.

Worst Crewmember ever and if this does not change until June I will cancel my sub. I already do not listenting/watching to evrything with Abby in it and the sims and dating sim shit is the worst already. Well luckily there are tons of great streamer and youtubers out there.
I can't say I disagree with this. Abby isn't fun to watch as a feature host, and her contribution to discussions tends to be a lot of surface-level stuff without much actual discourse to back it up (ex. 'but the cultural appropriation' during the Horizon GOTY debate).

I subscribe primarily for the GB West content though, so her presence isn't enough to make me cancel.

Last edited:

cooper59

Banned
HEADS UP PEOPLE. THIS WON'T BE TOLERATED. SO THREAD CAREFULLY FROM NOW ON TO AVOID MORE BANNINGS AND A THREAD CLOSURE.
Call it what it is. You're allowed to like it, I don't care, but get your head out the sand. To have the nerve to say to someone advocating white power and the expulsion of Muslims and Jews from France and Norway isn't racist? GTFO.
but its ok to have black entertainment tv[bet]. or black history month. Put on a white tv channel or white history month and suddenly they are nazis. Nothing more racist than a black person

but its ok to have black entertainment tv[bet]. or black history month. Put on a white tv channel or white history month and suddenly they are nazis. Nothing more racist than a black person

You know Stormfront gets a bad rap. They're just a bunch of affable dudes wanting to celebrate the pigment of their skin. Then you've got all these other motherfuckers with their black history and their stupid civil rights squabbles and their TV channels. What about my TV channels? My great, great granddad used to say that there was nobody more racist than a black person. He'd don his hood, mount his horse and celebrate his history in the only way he knew how. Killing black people with his mates.

Dunki

One out of ten staffers who is already known to be politically outspoken doth not a whole site make.

But hey let's just ignore everything before the first comma and jump directly to GOTCHA.

I can't say I disagree with this. Abby isn't fun to watch as a feature host, and her contribution to discussions tends to be a lot of surface-level stuff without much actual discourse to back it up (ex. 'but the cultural appropriation' during the Horizon GOTY debate).

I subscribe primarily for the GB West content though, so her presence isn't enough to make me cancel.
"Best part" was when she always said cuphead should be higher on the list totally ignoring the controversy of its artstyle to be "racist" but NIER? She really had a vile mission to even get this game out of the Top 10. That was her whole goal.

And if the nier stuff did not happen before I would also agree with you. But its clear the guys are more "considerae" or scared to like games if they seem "problematic" since Abby is there. Before Abby East was fucking great but now. I rarely visit the site anymore. Only hope is the DBZ podcasts which is really a shame...

Cooper said, “Medievally-themed [sic] video games are a space where whiteness can be anchored, in a ‘happy history’ where a world is free of multiculturalism and white guilt.”

Holy moly, that made me laugh so hard. Cooper is off her rocker if she thinks that the Middle-Ages is some kind of racist utopia for white supremacists, when in fact it is commonly referred to as the frikkin' Dark Ages. What's next, Cyberpunk is but a power fantasy for authoritarian regimes? Her appeal to white guilt as some kind of original sin, just reeks of manipulative kafkatrapping, because it would assume that white gamers cannot ever enjoy these settings for the same reasons as non-white gamers do. Yeah, when you have to fall back to religious concepts of guilt, you know that your thesis doesn't hold up to reasoned scrutiny, you're merely selling pseudo-academic snake-oil.

And here I thought people of all strides were enjoying different historical settings, because they see inherent value in exploring the past as well as the future. But then again, she has a degree in English literature, so it's probably another hack trying to gain some relevance by injecting her subjective ideology into a scientific field she clearly knows nothing about. These people try to gain academic credit by collectively shaming their audience into submission, and they wonder why almost nobody takes them seriously?

Dizagaox Dizagaox , thanks for pointing out that article. I don't read Breitbart so I would have missed that piece of hilarious insanity.

Petrae

Political or no i really don't see why them covering this gam matters, it's a free world and they can do whatever the fuck they want *shrugs*

They can do and have done what they want— but they aren’t free from criticism because “it’s a free world”.

Considering that the game has sold more than a million copies, it’s going to look a little suspect for a site that covers video games to sit this one out. The plot grows more curious when a staff member cites “Gamergate” as a reason why.

All decisions have consequences. It’s how life works. It’s not like these people haven’t weathered storms or squalls of controversy before.

FMbarbarian

I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone is saying that they don't have the right to choose what to and what not to cover. There is more disappointed that they believe an indie game selling a million copies in a short time is not noteworthy. I'd say it's at least worth a mention in the news section of their podcast.

It does seem pretty clear at this point by Abbie’s reply that it was politically motivated. Which is also fine. However, they continue to run the risk of alienating their audience. I canceled my premium subscription to their site two years ago for similar reasons.

When the ship eventually sinks no one will be surprised because they deliberately hit every iceberg on the sea and pretended everything was fine.

joms5

Fuck em.

I love the saltiness from people who can't afford premium and therefore can't enjoy the glorious content they put out. I don't like everything they do but the stuff I do enjoy is without a doubt the best game content on the internet.

Anyone who actually believes that Giantbomb's influence is "minimal" is so out of touch with game culture it's funny.

Just watch the ebay game prices skyrocket after they cover an old unknown game. It's mind blowing.

Dizagaox

Pardon my ignorance, but what's this controversy regarding Nier all about?
Abby from GB didn't like it's sexualisation of robot female characters, and felt it was a barrier to entry. She's not wrong for feeling that way, the camera does default to upskirt shots. Anyway she wasn't convinced by the others it was Top 10 worthy in their Game of the Year miniseries, but let it slide.

As a game, Nier Automata wasn't really featured on GB until well after release. Same could happen with KCD I guess.

Top Bottom