• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD ReMIX Announced for PS3, coming 2014 [up: Trailer]

Betty

Banned
No, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix is the bigger deal. The gloriousness that is BBS can already be experienced in English by anyone. KHIIFM is such a huge improvement over vanilla KHII that it's the bigger deal here.

Sure, but quite a few people never got to play BBS so it'll be a big deal for them.

Yeah, there's a number of safe assumptions to make, that could be made before the announcement:
- PS3 is a given
- KH2 and BBS are FM versions
- re:Coded will be cutscenes
- kind of expecting it to release a year after 1.5 in a Japan and in the west

I'd be surprised if one of these was wrong and I wouldn't hold my breath for anything else at this point.

Christopher

No, Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix is the bigger deal. The gloriousness that is BBS can already be experienced in English by anyone. KHIIFM is such a huge improvement over vanilla KHII that it's the bigger deal here.

What was different from vanilla

Yeah but Atlantica.

Seriously though, I played enough of KH2 that the extra content isn't so exciting. I just couldn't play BBS properly at all.

Dream features:

BBS:
New control scheme (obviously)
Added details to environments (they look great in HD, but feel empty)

KH2:
Optional orchestral score
Optionally skip "intro" section
Auto-skip atlantica

Re:Coded:
Videos/slideshow?

Noi

Even the DS version of Coded is not that great. It's a pretty janky mess (albeit kind of fun).

It serves its purpose much better just being cut scenes.

But even then, there are maybe 10 minutes of important scenes in that game tops? The entire thing is silly, it should have been DDD scenes in there.

Yeah, that's my point. Unless the plan is to just put the minimum amount of effort on re:Coded (which would be a bit of a shame), there really isn't much they could show by having a movie-mode for it like they did for Days, which was much more story-heavy. That's probably what they'll do, and I'll be grumpy about it, but I'll live with it.

Mecha

Yeah but Atlantica.

Dream features:

BBS:
New control scheme (obviously)
Added details to environments (they look great in HD, but feel empty)

KH2:
Optional orchestral score
Optionally skip "intro" section
Auto-skip atlantica

Re:Coded:
Videos/slideshow?

You aren't required to visit Atlantica.

LAA

Even the DS version of Coded is not that great. It's a pretty janky mess (albeit kind of fun).

It serves its purpose much better just being cut scenes.

But even then, there are maybe 10 minutes of important scenes in that game tops? The entire thing is silly, it should have been DDD scenes in there.

Yeah thats true, even the story in Re-Coded isnt really so important either really...
Adding gameplay would probably mean it'd last longer, and it can be kinda fun (Cant remember so much now), but didnt find it so memorable in the KH series.

Thinking about it though, there isnt really another game they can choose, except of course KH3D, but I guess it just seems too soon to remake it, or some sort of deal with Nintendo, maybe just they have to think of a way to bring in the touch screen mechanics too, which will probably just defeat the point of it at times.

What was different from vanilla

• A new difficulty mode called Critical Mode.
  • Textures redone with a better definition.
  • A new Drive Form called "Limit Form" has abilities from Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and also bears resemblance to Sora's outfit from the original game.
  • A new mini-game called Puzzle, which unlocks special items.
  • Many Heartless received palette swaps.

Storyline

• New cutscenes based on the Kingdom Hearts II novels were added; some involve Roxas, including scenes of him conversing with Axel in Twilight Town while wearing the Organization's signature black coat. There are also additional scenes of Roxas and Riku, including shots of their second battle, where Riku takes on the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, Naminé leaving with Axel, Riku and Sora talking before they battle 2nd Armored Xemnas, Xigbar and Zexion talking about Xemnas, and the Organization discussing their plans and commenting on incidents like Axel's death.
  • Zexion's weapon is revealed - a large book called a "Lexicon", which he can use to trap his enemies in an alternate reality.

Battles

• Members of Organization XIII that were eliminated in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories can be found and fought in the various worlds of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. They each use different fighting tactics from the ones they employed in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. They include Vexen, Larxene, Marluxia, Lexaeus, and Zexion.
  • An area of Radiant Garden, called the Cavern of Remembrance, can be accessed. It houses a series of battle simulations with each member of Organization XIII. This is a separate feature from the secret battles with the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories Organization members in that the simulation allows the player to repeat any battle with an Organization member as often as they like. The simulation features highly powered-up Organization members, similar to the level bonuses offered to enemies in the Hades Paradox Cup.

Other stuff

• A battle against the mysterious Lingering Will can be unlocked at Disney Castle.
  • Battles with the Mushroom XIII can be fought.
  • The battle between Sora and Roxas in the Station of Awakening is made playable.
  • Bonuses
  • A "Theater Mode" - menu where previously viewed cutscenes can be watched again with either English or Japanese voices by pressing L2 and R2.
  • A new secret ending video titled "Birth by sleep", a teaser for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
  • Secret features can be accessed in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix by clearing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and vice versa.
Shamelessly copy and pasted from the wiki.

Famassu

If platform isn't announced then I hope it's going to be on Vita or 3DS.

Either way I'm excited for this.
It's not just that these platforms can't do HD, the whole point of these HD Remasters is to bring the franchise back to consoles. There is not going to be a Vita, 3DS OR iOS version of any of these games.

Christopher

• A new difficulty mode called Critical Mode.
  • Textures redone with a better definition.
  • A new Drive Form called "Limit Form" has abilities from Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and also bears resemblance to Sora's outfit from the original game.
  • A new mini-game called Puzzle, which unlocks special items.
  • Many Heartless received palette swaps.

Storyline

• New cutscenes based on the Kingdom Hearts II novels were added; some involve Roxas, including scenes of him conversing with Axel in Twilight Town while wearing the Organization's signature black coat. There are also additional scenes of Roxas and Riku, including shots of their second battle, where Riku takes on the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, Naminé leaving with Axel, Riku and Sora talking before they battle 2nd Armored Xemnas, Xigbar and Zexion talking about Xemnas, and the Organization discussing their plans and commenting on incidents like Axel's death.
  • Zexion's weapon is revealed - a large book called a "Lexicon", which he can use to trap his enemies in an alternate reality.

Battles

• Members of Organization XIII that were eliminated in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories can be found and fought in the various worlds of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. They each use different fighting tactics from the ones they employed in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. They include Vexen, Larxene, Marluxia, Lexaeus, and Zexion.
  • An area of Radiant Garden, called the Cavern of Remembrance, can be accessed. It houses a series of battle simulations with each member of Organization XIII. This is a separate feature from the secret battles with the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories Organization members in that the simulation allows the player to repeat any battle with an Organization member as often as they like. The simulation features highly powered-up Organization members, similar to the level bonuses offered to enemies in the Hades Paradox Cup.

Other stuff

• A battle against the mysterious Lingering Will can be unlocked at Disney Castle.
  • Battles with the Mushroom XIII can be fought.
  • The battle between Sora and Roxas in the Station of Awakening is made playable.
  • Bonuses
  • A "Theater Mode" - menu where previously viewed cutscenes can be watched again with either English or Japanese voices by pressing L2 and R2.
  • A new secret ending video titled "Birth by sleep", a teaser for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.
  • Secret features can be accessed in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix by clearing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and vice versa.
Shamelessly copy and pasted from the wiki.

Thanks!

Vashetti

Banned
The worst kept secret of the past year, lol

Still hyped as shit though. I want it for PS4 but then I'd be disappointed that 1.5 HD didn't come out on PS4 too.

Sandfox

I think it's one of the best KH games there is, and the Final Mix version apparently has a lot of great new content.

My problems with it is:
-The story is bad IMO and its where the series gets confusing
-I don't care for a lot of the worlds chosen
-I don't really like how the characters are handled

Shinta

Banned
Guess I have to buy KH 3D on 3DS after all. I can live with that.

This is going to be a day one purchase. Really excited to replay BBS.

Famassu

So if I play 1.5 HD Remix and 2.5 HD Remix I'll be ready for 3 right?
Mostly. I'd still recommend playing or at least watching/reading about Dream Drop Distance. They probably aren't including it here because 1) it's only a year old and for a current-gen platform (so no one who doesn't have problems with handheld gaming should have any difficulty finding & playing the game) and 2) it has some dual/touchscreen gameplay features so they'd have to retool or even remove quite a lot of stuff to work on non-dual screen/touch screen platforms.

Christopher

My problems with it is:

Explain your points in detail I'm not bring smart genuinly interested

Betty

Banned
My problems with it is:

I think the story was pretty fantastic, and I really liked
that it didn't end on a happy note
. It also sets up a lot of overarching conflicts that will carry over to KH3 beautifully.

Plus the new battle system was fantastic and has become a mainstay since.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix — previously on PS2 and exclusive to Japan
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix — previously on PSP and exclusive to Japan
Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (HD remastered cinematics)

Christopher

I think the story was pretty fantastic, and I really liked
that it didn't end on a happy note
. It also sets up a lot of overarching conflicts that will carry over to KH3 beautifully.

Plus the new battle system was fantastic and has become a mainstay since.

Never played BBS but the series better end happy! Kingdom hearts 2 has the most satisfying videogame ending ever.

Top Bottom