• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts 3D Dream Drop Distance |OT| Sora is Everyone in Every Dimension

Lack of NPCs doesn't bother me. They've never been a particularly important part of KH for me; so long as the areas themselves are bigger and more detailed than past entries', I'll be satisfied.

Lack of NPCs have been a thing since KH1, so at this point it doesn't bother me too much, but it does feel kind of weird to have these giant, almost playground-like worlds without anyone else in them. Even BBS stuck a few NPCs in a room or two to talk to once you cleared a world.

Famassu

The first game I'm playing on the XL. I also have theatrythum and dragon quest 9 just sitting on the shelf.
It's good that I'm not home when my copy of KH3D probably arrives tomorrow or the day after that. I'll get the game when I get home on Friday and I should be able to go and buy a 3DS XL at that point (assuming it goes on sale in Finland when it's supposed to). :p

Zomba13

So I think I've finished all of Sora's side of things. Woah the story is banananananas. Like, even for a KH game. Having trouble with what I think is Riku's last boss but I'm pretty sure I'm underleveled and under skilled (On Proud, lvl 32 or something). Gone back to do some grinding and to train some spirits. Thank god you can buy the water barrels in the mog shop. Even though that minigame sucks ass it's quicker than grinding enemies.

Anyone know if you get anything good from doing the flick rush stuff? Is the ultimate weapon from doing that stuff? Does this game have one?

I hope KH3 or whatever is next has the flow motion stuff. I love just climbing up walls using it lol.

Anyone know if you get anything good from doing the flick rush stuff? Is the ultimate weapon from doing that stuff? Does this game have one?

You can use the medals you earn from Flick Rush to buy two incredibly useful abilities for Riku. Beating all of the Flick Rush cups gives you a pretty good weapon, too.

The two strongest weapons in the game aren't available until the post game.

Kyari

Playing on Proud I'm having a problem with being grossly underleveled, the Drop system makes grinding out exp such a pain. :/

Famassu

I hope KH3 or whatever is next has the flow motion stuff. I love just climbing up walls using it lol.
It should be, as Nomura has said the stuff like the flowmotion is the kind of direction he wants to take the Kingdom Hearts series' gameplay. It will probably be tweaked & evolve in future games, but I'm sure they will never get rid of it altogether. As even the dev team has said, once you learn use the flowmotion stuff, it'll be harder to go back to old KH games, so anything less would feel like a step-back in future games as well.

Man, I loved KH1 and KH2, but all these spin-offs and portable titles have really killed my interest (mainly because I have no portable systems). I probably won't even enjoy KH3 if/when it gets released, because the story will be totally and utterly incomprehensible.

Oh wait, it already was.

I'm so jealous of you guys playing it, it was OOS everywhere I went, now I have to wait for next week to play it :/

Question : Is the game still a pain to fully complete on normal to unlock the secret film ? I did it for KH2 and NEVER AGAIN.

I'm so jealous of you guys playing it, it was OOS everywhere I went, now I have to wait for next week to play it :/

Question : Is the game still a pain to fully complete on normal to unlock the secret film ? I did it for KH2 and NEVER AGAIN.

Good Question. And one more... The ending is in CG?

Nemesis_

How does StreetPass work? And can you complete the game without 'dropping' or do you need to complete both storylines eventually to finish it? Just wondering, not that I'm considering NOT doing it anyway. Why would you voluntarily Drop midway through a world? I don't think I grasp the concept properly.

Can anyone help me answer these questions? =)

Sorry Maverick, didn't want to question your integrity and jumped the gun too soon. I apologize k?

Thanks! No worries, water under the bridge. :)

Can anyone help me answer these questions? =)

- Not totally sure about how StreetPass works yet, but as I understand it, StreetPassing someone opens a portal somewhere in one of the worlds that allows you to temporarily interact with or call on their Spirits for assistance in your game. Not completely sure on this yet -- I know it has to do with Spirits, though.

- You cannot complete the game without dropping. Dropping switches you between Sora and Riku's stories, and you must complete both to fully finish KH 3D's story (just like you had to fully complete Terra, Aqua, and Ven's stories in BbS to fully finish that game). Either way, it doesn't matter because...

- Dropping isn't entirely voluntary. Both Sora and Riku have a Drop meter that is always depleting during play, and when it runs out, the game forces you to switch to the other character no matter what you're doing. I do believe you can choose to Drop to the other character whenever you want from the pause menu, but the game tries to make you not do this by offering incentives for playing as a character until their Drop meter runs out naturally -- by doing so, you get points that you can spend to temporarily boost the other character's parameters for the next time you Drop to them. I know the way I explained this is a little confusing, so let's use an actual example:

• You're playing as Sora.
• You can Drop to Riku anytime, but if you let it happen naturally (i.e. by playing as Sora until the Drop meter runs out), you'll accrue points that you can spend to temporarily power up Riku for your next session playing as him. Likewise, if you then play as Riku until his Drop meter runs out and don't Drop out early via the pause menu, you'll accrue points that you can then spend to buff Sora for your next session as him.
• Although you could choose to Drop to the other character from the pause menu at any time, this won't get you any points with which to power up the other character for your next run as him. And given the reports I'm hearing of the game's considerable difficulty (on Proud mode especially), you may find that you really want those power-up points. ;)

I hope my explanation cleared things up for you!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

It's not that hard and no crazy 100%ing is required.

Wizpig

(First 3-4 hours spoilers)

One thing i don't really like is entering a world (say
Notre Dame) with Sora and then entering it with Riku almost immediately after.

So basically, when you drop you are
in the same world.
I think what makes the system (potentially, and i really like it) fun is when you drop and you are in a totally different world; so, since the second part of the game has 3 worlds, I think i'll try one with Sora and a different one with Riku after i finished Notre Dame.

Hopefully the level difference won't be a pain, i'm playing on Standard.

Sinthetic

Playing with the CPP doesn't actually benefit me at all. I need to do more testing around, but I'm pretty sure it's a more comfortable experience using L/R to pan the camera.

So basically, when you drop you are
in the same world.
I think what makes the system (potentially, and i really like it) fun is when you drop and you are in a totally different world; so, since the second part of the game has 3 worlds, I think i'll try one with Sora and a different one with Riku after i finished Notre Dame.

Yeah, I've just completed
La Cité des Cloches with Sora and I'm thinking to start Prankster's Paradise with him, since Riku is already in The Grid
!

Playing with the CPP doesn't actually benefit me at all. I need to do more testing around, but I'm pretty sure it's a more comfortable experience using L/R to pan the camera.

Since you can choose to set R as the lock and L as the camera, I think without CPP is just fine. I'm using it by the way, because sometimes I need to adjuct the camera and I prefer to use the second analog, but this has happened quite rarely actually (I bought CPP with RE:R and never used it).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
The first game I'm playing on the XL. I also have theatrythum and dragon quest 9 just sitting on the shelf.

WHAT? Get Theatrythm in that thing right now. Amazing game.

Seda

Okay guys, so I'm a huge fan of the first two games, never played any of the DS or PSP games. Will I like 3D?

Play the demo to get a feel for how it plays.

As for anything about overall story arc, here's a snippet for the OP.

"
Q: Where does this game fall in the timeline?

A: After Kingdom Hearts 2 and re:Coded.

Q: Do I need to have played Birth by Sleep/re:Coded/etc in order to understand this game?
A: Birth by Sleep introduces the player to several new characters. In regards to what you should know for KH3D, BBS reveals the primary antagonist of the series, who's impending return is the primary motivation behind the events of KH3D. As for re:Coded, its secret ending is the direct lead into this game.

Q: What if I haven't played Birth by Sleep/re:Coded?
A: You should probably play Birth by Sleep sometime; besides that fact that it's a great game, it elaborates on questions you may have had from KH1 and 2, and you'll want to understand the fates of the Terra, Aqua, and Ventus when (if) KH3 rolls around. Several have mentioned in the import thread that the game assumes that the player is familiar with ALL the other games before delving into this one, so be warned. Also, Kingdom Hearts 3D will have a recap of the story so far in the form of memoirs in the main menu. For now, you should watch the ending to re:Coded. It leads directly into this game."

Zomba13

So I finished the game. The secret movie was a bitch to unnlock. There is a bit where you have to answer some questions and if you don't pick the right answers then tough luck. Had to replay the final few boss fights again. The secret ending isn't all that great. I was hoping for something cool and hinting more towards what will happen in 3 but it's just kinda pointless imo.

Great game though. Now I need to finish up the flick rush thingies.

Haven't had much time to dive into my review copy yet because I've been busy with my full-time job. :/

How are those of you that are further into the game finding the difficulty? It sounds as if 3D is one of the tougher games in the series, and that Proud difficulty actually poses quite a challenge this time around. Is that about right?

Proud difficulty was pretty tough in Birth by Sleep for the first world or so, especially for Aqua and Terra... then the characters power up so fast that it stops being tough for most of the game.

Peff

Is that about right?

Not quite. I'd say it's easier than BbS Critical, but the thing is that Second Chance and Once More (which greatly decrease the difficulty) are impossible to get until farther into the game... unless you cheat and use the pre-order Dream Eaters which are posted around the net. You'll still be stomping everything after the first couple of worlds regardless.

Not quite. I'd say it's easier than BbS Critical, but the thing is that Second Chance and Once More (which greatly decrease the difficulty) are impossible to get until farther into the game... unless you cheat and use the pre-order Dream Eaters which are posted around the net. You'll still be stomping everything after the first couple of worlds regardless.

Ah, okay. I never played BbS on Critical, but it sounds like the normal Kingdom Hearts difficulty curve otherwise. Cool, thanks!

zohar

Neo Member
So I think I've finished all of Sora's side of things. Woah the story is banananananas. Like, even for a KH game.

I can't tell, are you saying the story is good or bad? The story in KH games have always been "meh" for me (especially the spinoffs), but I really enjoyed BBS. How does this game compare?

I was wondering how to unlock the secret ending. I know that you need at least 6 trophies, but how do you get them? Is it part of that Colosseum game with the pets?
I feel embarrassed that I didn't notice that I had an item that could delay the drop mechanic. I always learn most of the mechanics too late in a game. Now the game is a breeze which is a bit disappointing, but at least I got replay value for pro mode. For the next game I hope they keep the dive mechanic because those gum ships were terrible and the diving can be a bit fun at times.

''Hi, I'm Esmeralda. I'm a gypsy.''
Wat?

I don't like the drop system at all :<. Makes me so sad that there are some things in this game that are soo good and some that are sooo stupid.

''Hi, I'm Esmeralda. I'm a gypsy.''
Wat?

I don't like the drop system at all :<. Makes me so sad that there are some things in this game that are soo good and some that are sooo stupid.

Well I had to laugh when that guy called Sora a gypsy even if it probably was not intended to be that funny. Today I spend at least 5 hours battling between spirits. Such a wonderful minigame which unfortunately can only be played multiplayer locally. I don't see myself meeting people with KH3D randomly.
I think I am at the end now and there are some really awesome boss fights. Riku is really fun to play as when you get those late game moves. It does really reward you when you get gold on those dive levels. I love casting Meteor along with those bad ass moves.

How are those of you that are further into the game finding the difficulty? It sounds as if 3D is one of the tougher games in the series, and that Proud difficulty actually poses quite a challenge this time around. Is that about right?

I have only played KH 1 and 2 but this game is definitely much more challenging than 2. I did struggle at some boss fights in the beginning. Like the bosses in the Notre Dam are some tough ones. Not giving you much time to rest and heal. Other than that they don't pose much of a challenge. Some of the dream eaters can be nasty (level D tier) if you are not careful but I had more difficulties due to not understanding the drop system and the battle system that well to begin with. I also struggled because I avoided the enemy encounters early in the game. It has been a breeze except for few retries with boss fights and bold moves without healing myself. Now as I am on the last world the boss fights started becoming more "brutal" making me rethink my strategy. Then again these fights could be much easier if I "spammed" healing items as I have not even used potion/Elixir so far. It is still a mighty fine game but I wish the Kairy theme was still around.

zroid

Banned
Odd choice by Metro to get someone who clearly just hates Kingdom Hearts in general to review this game. I guess when you're not a gaming-focused outlet, reviewer selection is slim pickings.

Fantasia world is simply... Amazing.

Btw, I have a question.
For some Spirits I unlocked all Ability in the Ability Link grid but still it doesn't say I completed that specific Spirit's grid... Why?

Fantasia world is simply... Amazing.

Btw, I have a question.
For some Spirits I unlocked all Ability in the Ability Link grid but still it doesn't say I completed that specific Spirit's grid... Why?

I think some spirits have hidden paths on their link grids that open up under certain conditions. Can't remember what they were, though.

Top Bottom