• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Psxphile

You jumped the gun man. OTs only go up on the day of release. Oh well, it was a good read. One thing though:

JQRXSBw.png

Every week the Unions are ranked on how much Lux the players in said union collect.
Is there any gameplay significance to this? Also:

Malyse said:
[fake spoiler]This is the OP's union and we've been curbstomping everyone online. We haven't lost in months.[/spoiler]
Malyse said:
At the start of the game you can pick one of the five unions to join. I suggest the Unicornis, because we have won every wee since the game launched. Just saying.
Malyse said:
The Unicornis has won these 23 times in a row (AKA all of them), cause we're just that good.

I already want to see Unicornus taken down a peg even though all the unions will be starting on equal footing in NA. So, thanks.

Tsunamo

I'm glad we've finally got a date. I stopped playing the Japanese version and stuck to Chi so it'll be nice to play it again in English and have some KHGAFers around in the unions I pick rather than playing solo. (even if you're not literally playing together it still has the effect of feeling like your union is working together and you're playing with other players)

I wonder how close/far behind the English version will be in updates in comparison to the Japanese version.
You jumped the gun man. OTs only go up on the day of release. Oh well, it was a good read. One thing though:

Is there any gameplay significance to this? Also:
From memory depending on how much you contributed/how high your union ranks you get various medal rewards so it does helpout a bit when it comes to upgrading medals/getting rarer ones.

I'm sure Malyse will chime in if i'm wrong and/or explain it better.

Falk

that puzzling face
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233
-Don't post your official thread earlier than the day of the game's release (excepting multiplayer-centric games with large-scale long-term open betas, like Dota 2, which are addressed individually). |OT|s are not for news, so they have no reason to exist while we're still in the news cycle.

I think dat got superceded by a more recent ruling.

Good OT, just needs links to the game when it's downloadable but I guess you already knew that, heh.

Malyse

I already want to see Unicornus taken down a peg even though all the unions will be starting on equal footing in NA. So, thanks.

Vulpeus won most of the PC matches. As a matter of fact, we stayed in last; everyone else won far more often. It wasn't until the mobile came out that we got our shit together. You're backing the wrong horse; the other unions had their time in the sun.

it's ok we can photoshop her out of the art too

I see. You want me to cut you.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233

I think dat got superceded by a more recent ruling.

Good OT, just needs links to the game when it's downloadable but I guess you already knew that, heh.

Technically, this is a multiplayer game that had a long open beta. I think [chi] was in beta for like 4 or 5 months.

Very nice OT.

You suggested Unicornis faction because of current JP standings, but we got no clue how unions in NA will turn out. Unless suggesting GAF join Unicornis for parties ?

Psxphile

Technically, this is a multiplayer game that had a long open beta. I think [chi] was in beta for like 4 or 5 months.

Technically, it's a English release of a game that was first released in Japan. We have separate OTs for imports and western releases.

Malyse

Very nice OT.

You suggested Unicornis faction because of current JP standings, but we got no clue how unions in NA will turn out. Unless suggesting GAF join Unicornis for parties ?
I suggested Unicornis because that's my preferred Union and I'm going to choose it for this release.
If things play out how I think they will, Unions will be irrelevant anyway.

ill probably join Unicornis
only because i have an obsession of being the best when it comes to videogames
and i assume itll be the official GAF union

aravuus

No EU release is hilarious. Fucking Square Enix.

But yeah, of course there are ways to play it here, too. Just getting the apk is probably enough.

Tsunamo

https://twitter.com/KINGDOMHEARTS/status/611590201375367168
Little did we know they were telling the truth.

It'll be coming to other regions eventually, we've already got the Aus rating which confirms it, but it's pretty silly they didn't aim for a close together/simultanious release for Unchained in all English regions and yet again the PAL region gets the shaft. Ah well, just another foreign app store account I have to make so I can download apps I can't get in my own region.

Tsunamo

So regular Kingdom Hearts Chi's service ends in September, so safe to say we'll get a proper story conclusion on it within a couple of months. (and maybe 2.8 close to the time the service ends)

Unchained is pretty close in Japan storywise to it too (up to beasts castle which was a couple of chi updates ago), wonder if it'll go beyond Chi's story or what changes they'll make to it.

Malyse

So regular Kingdom Hearts Chi's service ends in September, so safe to say we'll get a proper story conclusion on it within a couple of months. (and maybe 2.8 close to the time the service ends)

Unchained is pretty close in Japan storywise to it too (up to beasts castle which was a couple of chi updates ago), wonder if it'll go beyond Chi's story or what changes they'll make to it.

Sort of? Castle of Dreams isn't even in the game yet, so unless they start doing monthly updates to get the content out, I don't think they'll finish the story. Not really.

Well now we know how Chi and Unchained lore differ. The former ends up in apocalypse.

I think what will end up happening is that everyone will end up in the Unchained.

Malyse

Don't want to put this in the UX OT.

[chi] spoilers.

The newest update to Kingdom Hearts X[chi] introduces a new world, Beast’s Castle. Why was this world chosen to be added to the game?

Nomura: We are prioritizing the worlds of the seven princess’s based on the “fairy tale era” concept in KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi].

Is there any significance in the timing of Beast’s Castle’s introduction to Kingdom Hearts X[chi]? After so many main story updates, it was surprising to travel to a new world rather than continuing to investigate Ephemera and the Foretellers.

Nomura: There is no significance to the timing. We had already made a decision on which worlds to select a while ago, but because new world additions are the most time consuming, we were finally able to implement it this time.

In one of the recent updates of Kingdom Hearts X[chi], the term “unchained” was officially introduced and has caused quite a bit of speculation among the fans. Does this play a role in how you previously said that X[chi] and Unchained X were not exactly the same game?

Nomura: I cannot explain this without any spoilers but there is a connection between the two. Who is trying to do what will be depicted in KINGDOM HEARTS χ[chi] or KINDGOM HEARTS Unchainedχ, and the reason behind it would be told in KHχ Back Cover (included n 2.8).

As of the most recent update to the browser game, we know a little bit of what he was referring to. The Vulpes Foreteller Lady Ava has been leading wielders from various unions into the tower, where she impersonates their foreteller and provokes them into starting a fight. The ones who can go through said fight without falling into the darkness of sadness and anger are offered a position in the Dandelions, a secret team that Ava has put together in order to avoid the inevitable Keyblade War and the annihilation of the world that will soon follow it. She plans to send them into a place where "[they] will relive things [they] have already experienced, only in a world just like a dream, in a space separate from here". I think this is what Unchained actually is.

Malyse

Why do I get the feeling SE royally fucked up developing [chi] as a web browser game first?
Keep in mind that [chi] and Unchained was planned from the start. Initially they were going to put both out at once, but they decided to focus on the browser game first. And it's been running for three years, which is unheard of for this type of game; most fold in under a year. It's just a royal fucking shame that the company Disney acquired to do browser based games fell apart before they finished the English version. Well, we have five months until the end of the world.

Falk

that puzzling face
I feel like this is an intentional transition of a microtransaction-based KH game (a veritable goldmine in certain regions of the world) from browser to mobile.

There's a certain... uh... stigma w.r.t. gacha games on PC.

Ydelnae

Since I can't play Chi because Europe got Atlus'd, I rewatched TFA one more time and it reafirmed how much I want a Star Wars world in KH. While I don't want Marvel characters anywhere near the franchise (except Big Hero 6, which actually fits), since Disney adquired SW I've been thinking that it would be a good pick. However, if SW was to be included as a world, in what movie would you base it off? There's a lot of options:

• World based on A New Hope, we basically explore the Death Star, meet Luke, Han and Leia and battle Vader. This leaves KH room to incorporate an Empire Strikes Back world in KH4 and keep the story moving forward. But then, we wouldn't reach the new trilogy for years and I doubt Disney would want to miss that chance. On the other hand, an Episode IV world means they can use Vader, which is the most iconic character from SW, he can sell the game by itself.
  • World based on The Force Awakens, we explore the First Order HQ? Maz's planet? This choice makes sense as it is the brand new installment of the saga, and if we get KH4 and KH5, they can base the world on Episode VIII and IX. But then, we would start with the SW story "in media res", Sora would never get to meet young Luke. The only way we would get to visit the original characters would be to have a SW world featured in a game that took place between BBS and KH1 or something.
  • World based on Star Wars Rebels. This way they can use Vader and the visual style of the series fits KH. However, I feel it would be a big waste to include a Star Wars world and for it to be based on a TV series instead of the movies.
  • World based on the Star Wars universe, but not related to actual film/series plot, like they did with BH6.

My choice would be to pick a TFA world, even though I think the Death Star has the most potential to be a recognizable world which fits into the KH games.

GoldStarz

Is "no Star Wars at all" an option? I feel like overlapping KH with a really big franchise that has a ton of stuff going on at once (many of which defy KH canon) is just barking up the wrong tree. There's really not a happy medium like there is with Big Hero 6 and Marvel. I say let it be, there's already a lot of SW inspiration in KH anyway.

I've said this multiple times in this thread but IMO the optimal Star Wars world would be Death Star from Episode 4.

Firstly if KH3 has Gummi Ship you can actually implement TIE fighters on the route and tractor beam sucking the party in Monstro style.

It has every major character of the movie and most iconic designs present. Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Leia, Vader, R2-D2, C-3PO, Chewie, Stormtroopers, Lightsabers, TIE fighters, Falcon, Death Star...

Very easy to implement a simple scenario that makes sense. Party is captured, joins forces with the rebels to reclaim the ships and get out of there. There is zero need to worry about SW being too big for KH to handle or anything like that.

Unique spacestation look unlikely to match other worlds.

Psxphile

I've said this multiple times in this thread but IMO the optimal Star Wars world would be Death Star from Episode 4.

Firstly if KH3 has Gummi Ship you can actually implement TIE fighters on the route and tractor beam sucking the party in Monstro style.

It has every major character of the movie and most iconic designs present. Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Leia, Vader, R2-D2, C-3PO, Chewie, Stormtroopers, Lightsabers, TIE fighters, Falcon, Death Star...

Very easy to implement a simple scenario that makes sense. Party is captured, joins forces with the rebels to reclaim the ships and get out of there. There is zero need to worry about SW being too big for KH to handle or anything like that.

Unique spacestation look unlikely to match other worlds.

Can't wait to fight Vader to a stand-still and make Luke/Obi-Wan look like a couple of chumps. :D

Famassu

Kingdom Hearts IV would be the perfect place to introduce either Marvel or Star Wars into the franchise. Xehanort will be done, the Disney Princesses stuff will hopefully be done with it and I think a new, completely different kind of set of villains (i.e. Masters of Evil, Sith) could be a good injection of freshness for the franchise. I don't think they necessarily even need several Marvel/Star Wars related worlds, just use the villains like Disney's were in KH1, as forces of evil who scheme with the new big bad. Maybe create a world like Traverse Town & Hollow Bastion/Radiant Garden where Marvel superheroes have ended up at for one reason or the other, if they don't want to make, like, a New York "world" for Spider-Man.

Top Bottom