• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Which is why I usually recommend people play KH2 or BBS first to get a feel of what the series actually is at the moment. KH, as charming as it was for a 2001 game, is quite different in plot and content execution than any of the big games later on.

Malyse

Which is why I usually recommend people play KH2 or BBS first to get a feel of what the series actually is at the moment. KH, as charming as it was for a 2001 game, is quite different in plot and content execution than any of the big games later on.
Starting with KH2 is like watching Empire Strikes Back as your first Star Wars.

StoneFox

It also doesn't help that people perpetuate the series with a stereotype of "lol the story is so convoluted and makes no sense" when the story isn't THAT complicated if you take in one step at a time. It was fairly straightforward until DDD and even then it isn't that bad IMO. I've seen 11 year olds discuss the themes of KH, so in my opinion adults complaining about not understanding it have just decided they don't like it. It's like reading book four of a seven book series going "I don't know what is going on" to everything because it assumes you read them in order.

Do people throw this same hissy fit over Voldemort as they do Xehanort? I'm not big into Harry Potter but he kinda seems to do the Xehanort thing of being really hard to kill off :p

Mediking

I'm sure we heard it all.... KH is definitely a punching bag. It's funny how people say KH's story doesn't make sense and has annoying characters when in reality.... it's best to just look at the story like a puzzle that centers mostly on Sora.

I try to tell people that KH has some of the best animations during cutscenes and really good music too.

GoldStarz

In my opinion, BBS is the best /game/. I'm kinda sad we're not getting that system for KHIII, if it's a complete return to KHII's system with full MP Cure I'm gonna be pissed tbh.

You know what Kingdom Hearts needs after KH3? A non-canon game for consoles anyone can jump into without a worry in the world. Also would be a breath of fresh air from the current continuity. Would be nice to see a different take on the series. ''Versus Kingdom Hearts'' if you will. It could include more obscure stuff and characters that wouldn't have a spotlight in the main series like Gargoyles or some more obscure Marvel property.

Maybe even by a different developer to have something in between KH3 and 4. The handheld games have been outsourced before, why not console? Or hell, a different team inside SE if they have one.

In before platinum.

Oh, and uhhhh.... I've been thinking about changing my avatar to Sora from KH2. Anybody know how to do that?

Here are a few I made for 2.5 OT you can use if you want. I don't think any frequent poster is using these.

PZWxiCf.png
TpjWGfl.png
eAB08YV.png
9yZgF4O.png
1qPb3KP.png
cs08BuR.png

Even doe you called me ''NEO enthusiasts '' or something lol.

Maybe even by a different developer to have something in between KH3 and 4. The handheld games have been outsourced before, why not console? Or hell, a different team inside SE if they have one.

In before platinum.

As tired as I am of the "Platinum should make ______" sentiments (And I say this as someone who considers Platinium to be their favorite developer), I unironically think they would be perfect for the type of entry you described. It goes without saying that their combat is second to none, at least when their top tier talent is on the job, and Metal Gear Rising in particular showed that they're pretty awesome at taking the piss out what's otherwise a pretty crazy series already. Hell, part of KHII's final boss sequence involved surfing on skyscrapers, cutting them in half and flinging the debris at a giant mechanical dragon to expose it's weak point. Tell me that doesn't already sound like a Platinum game.

Would Disney let them step in though, now that they're actually protective of the franchise?

Other companies worked on Chain of Memories, Days and Coded. I don't see why not. It's like many people working on the Marvel flicks are not Disney employees ect. It would still be supervised by Square of course.

Besides how protective can you be when you hand over your IP to a man like Nomura? Donald now has a recognizeable adaptation with a hat that has belt and zippers.

Y.....you played KH2 BEFORE KH1.....?!?!?!? No wonder you thought KH1 was a slog!!!!
That's what I meant to imply from that post lol.
Y.....you played KH2 BEFORE KH1.....?!?!?!? No wonder you thought KH1 was a slog!!!!
"Once you finish your cake, you can have some beets."

My dad bought me adn my siblings it thinking we'd already played the first one. I didn't understand the Roxas start, but the rest I got, at least enough for a 10 or 11 year old kid to understand the basics. Sora looking for "Riku"+Mickey, the game didn't do too bad catching you up on what happened in KH1.
KH1 still isn't a great game,Com/KH2 is when KH became great imo. There's like no story & the gameplay is bland, back in 2001 it would've been nice, but introducing people to KH via KH1 now is what's going to turn them off. I mean it's what's supposed to set the mood for what the other games are gonna be like, but it doesn't due to KH doing whatever it wants :D.
KH is one of my favourite game series, but looking at it unbiasedly , KH is pretty slow & childish. That said , my young cousin enjoyed watching me playthrough it when 1.5 came out.

Mediking

That's what I meant to imply from that post lol.

My dad bought me adn my siblings it thinking we'd already played the first one. I didn't understand the Roxas start, but the rest I got, at least enough for a 10 or 11 year old kid to understand the basics. Sora looking for "Riku"+Mickey, the game didn't do too bad catching you up on what happened in KH1.
KH1 still isn't a great game,Com/KH2 is when KH became great imo. There's like no story & the gameplay is bland, back in 2001 it would've been nice, but introducing people to KH via KH1 now is what's going to turn them off. I mean it's what's supposed to set the mood for what the other games are gonna be like, but it doesn't due to KH doing whatever it wants :D.
KH is one of my favourite game series, but looking at it unbiasedly , KH is pretty slow & childish. That said , my young cousin enjoyed watching me playthrough it when 1.5 came out.

You think KH1 is a bad game......

Are we gonna hafta fight among a circle of Heartless to settle this?

KH1 is special and unique

You think KH1 is a bad game......

Are we gonna hafta fight among a circle of Heartless to settle this?

KH1 is special and unique

I agree.That doesn't mean it's not bad,[Insert bad guy from history] was special and unique.Especially if you compare it to other ps2 games, the story/characters are great but most of them are cameos & the themes are pretty childish(It's Disney so you shouldn't go into it expecting anything else) the story only actually becomes good at the end(again my opinion). The reason I'd even say Com is better is because, A) It has a unique, but at times clunky battle system and B) It's not all about visiting worlds, there's death & the characters aren't bland af. With KH2 Sqenix had some more space I think to add onto the worlds, I mean ikn KH1 Sora is mainly doing stuff in the background & the world moves on. Also, the heartless are pretty bland in KH1 until the end world.
Srsly though, unless you're trying to convince me, we don't have to fight =D.

eefara

I played KHII first as well, hahaha. My parents must have gotten me the wrong one for Christmas, but I just shrugged and played it anyway. I don't remember being too confused about the plot, actually, and I don't feel it hindered my enjoyment of KH (except for the awful L/R camera control).

Malyse

I agree.That doesn't mean it's not bad,[Insert bad guy from history] was special and unique.Especially if you compare it to other ps2 games, the story/characters are great but most of them are cameos & the themes are pretty childish(It's Disney so you shouldn't go into it expecting anything else) the story only actually becomes good at the end(again my opinion)

Know how I know you don't watch many Disney movies?

Know how I know you don't watch many Disney movies?

But I do =o, at least I've seen all the kh world ones besides the new tron. I haven't watched anything new in the past 2-3 years but that's due to not having time & other reasons. Having child friendly themes wasn't the issue, it was that it was almost exclusively that with sora ushered in and there was only a sense of urgency/threat until the last world.
The rest of the games have that throughout.
Also watching movies vs playing games are two very different things, I dunno how you can make an assumption like that.

Hachitora

All I can say about the topic is that, since I've been playing KH1 for the platinum right after getting it for KH2, the battle system for 1 feels clunkier in comparison. KH2's is a lot more fast-paced and fun imo. But I think KH1 handled the disney worlds a bit better than 2 (helps that you didn't have to go back to all of the afterwards like you did in 2)

Malyse

Disney is way darker than Kingdom Hearts. Like, it's not remotely close.
*sigh*
People always trot out this "Disney can't be dark" argument

58083fd6732bf027a6a79043536855bb.jpg

Clayton was hung from a tree.

fa1ec2e1295b0cf7e208a1f32e2cff61.gif

download.jpg

The Horned King literally had his face and skin melt off of his body.

a220d043a779f753000ad55426d244d2.gif

82e1174bdd7ed03809fae3df9e29ec91.gif

Mulan killed thousands of soldier in one fell swoop...

enhanced-12185-1402131783-23.jpg

...before blowing up their leader.

enhanced-29045-1402134161-27.jpg

Scar was ripped to pieces by hyenas.

Now, you might be thinking, "well none of those are recent"

6752eb3d20b1d5c51b1dca7b96ffa4ca.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-5292-1390722538-10.gif

tumblr_llkqbxdGQl1qj5t08o1_500.gif

Mother Gothel aged decades if not centuries in seconds, fell out a window, and shattered on the ground as a pile of dust.

I would like to point out that Kingdom Hearts softened the deaths of Scar, Clayton, and Shan Yu. You can argue Frollo was the same. And there's plenty more, like Ursula, The Evil Queen, Gaston, Syndrome, Doctor Facilier, but I think you get the point.

botty

Banned
But I do =o, at least I've seen all the kh world ones besides the new tron. I haven't watched anything new in the past 2-3 years but that's due to not having time & other reasons. Having child friendly themes wasn't the issue, it was that it was almost exclusively that with sora ushered in and there was only a sense of urgency/threat until the last world.
The rest of the games have that throughout.
Also watching movies vs playing games are two very different things, I dunno how you can make an assumption like that.

Disney movies are only aesthetically "childish," and tend to have very mature themes and plot lines. Now these aren't Quentin Tarrintino flicks, but It makes sense if you know the source material for most Disney films.

If Kingdom Hearts comes off as really childish, it's because of Square Enix. Luckily we have some mature, thought provoking games in the series (days) to balance out the Barney and friends stuff like in DDD/BBS

Malyse

Disney movies are only aesthetically "childish," and tend to have very mature themes and plot lines. Now these aren't Quentin Tarrintino flicks, but It makes sense if you know the source material for most Disney films.

If Kingdom Hearts comes off as really childish, it's because of Square Enix. Luckily we have some mature, thought provoking games in the series (days) to balance out the Barney and friends stuff like in DDD/BBS
Side note: Disney released the majority of the films Tarantino has made under the Miramax label.

Mediking

I agree.That doesn't mean it's not bad,[Insert bad guy from history] was special and unique.Especially if you compare it to other ps2 games, the story/characters are great but most of them are cameos & the themes are pretty childish(It's Disney so you shouldn't go into it expecting anything else) the story only actually becomes good at the end(again my opinion). The reason I'd even say Com is better is because, A) It has a unique, but at times clunky battle system and B) It's not all about visiting worlds, there's death & the characters aren't bland af. With KH2 Sqenix had some more space I think to add onto the worlds, I mean ikn KH1 Sora is mainly doing stuff in the background & the world moves on. Also, the heartless are pretty bland in KH1 until the end world.
Srsly though, unless you're trying to convince me, we don't have to fight =D.

Hahaha you're fine, you're fine.
I played KHII first as well, hahaha. My parents must have gotten me the wrong one for Christmas, but I just shrugged and played it anyway. I don't remember being too confused about the plot, actually, and I don't feel it hindered my enjoyment of KH (except for the awful L/R camera control).

I'm trying to imagine if I played KH2 before KH1 and how I would feel.... lol

It's funny I saw this post because when KH first came out I never did anything for me I saw someone play it one time and just wasn't into it. Then my little brother who played the first one I watche play KH2 and I got hooked into that game and been hooked into the series ever since. I even went back and played one. KH2 is as a matter of fact the game I beat the most.

In my opinion, BBS is the best /game/. I'm kinda sad we're not getting that system for KHIII, if it's a complete return to KHII's system with full MP Cure I'm gonna be pissed tbh.
I have no problems with MP cure and that system for the main console games

Tsunamo

I'm not too worried about it. This is the Osaka team that did both Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance and is their first attempt at a numbered title in the series on a console.

Besides that i'm already noticing some elements of Birth By Sleep in 3, like attractionflow mostly requiring you to aim at enough targets similar to shotlock. I think we'll see more handheld title influence put into 3, while still aiming for more of a feel of a mainline Kingdom Hearts in terms of gameplay.

With that said though there's always a possible Final Mix if everything goes downhill. It worked wonders for 2 so I wouldn't say no to one for fixing up 3.
You know what Kingdom Hearts needs after KH3? A non-canon game for consoles anyone can jump into without a worry in the world. Also would be a breath of fresh air from the current continuity. Would be nice to see a different take on the series. ''Versus Kingdom Hearts'' if you will. It could include more obscure stuff and characters that wouldn't have a spotlight in the main series like Gargoyles or some more obscure Marvel property.

In before platinum.
Kingdom Warriors/Musou, Theatrythm Kingdom Hearts or Dissidia Kingdom Hearts. (or some form of Kingdom Hearts fighting game) I'd be happy with any of these spin-offs personally.

Psxphile

In before platinum.

Ix3SbWT.jpg

Non-canon? Check.
Anyone can jump in? Check.
Breaks from normal continuity? Check.
A different take on the series? Double Check.

zeemumu

Makes you appreciate the daily small things we do with our friends/loved ones, since you never know how long you will have with them.

Yeah but that's 90% of the cutscenes. From a KH fan perspective it's fine because I know how much it means to Roxas but I can see someone having this be their first exposure to Kingdom Hearts and being like "Why the fuck are they eating ice cream in every single scene?"

botty

Banned
Yeah but that's 90% of the cutscenes. From a KH fan perspective it's fine because I know how much it means to Roxas but I can see someone having this be their first exposure to Kingdom Hearts and being like "Why the fuck are they eating ice cream in every single scene?"

Days is in such a where place in the timeline that I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as their first exposure to KH.

Psxphile

tumblr_mwpb3rITnW1s4c693o6_1280.jpg

Top Bottom