• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Mediking

I used to get a bit emotional at the end of KH1, not ashamed to admit it!

I'll never forget how I felt as a kid when I finally beat KH1...I'll never forget seeing Kairi stuck on Destiny Islands and Sora being pulled away. Everything clicked in my brain and I was like, "Ohhhhh... Kairi is a Princess of Light like Alice was....." I felt pretty sad for them. ;_;

StoneFox

Yeah but that's 90% of the cutscenes. From a KH fan perspective it's fine because I know how much it means to Roxas but I can see someone having this be their first exposure to Kingdom Hearts and being like "Why the fuck are they eating ice cream in every single scene?"
If Nomura wants to use Zootopia I can totally see Nick selling ice cream to the party. :p

I kinda feel that the chances of KH3 trailer at E3 drop significantly if SE doesn't have a press event :d

No doubt we get a small tease at the end of a 2.8 trailer like with last 2 trailers but still.

Malyse

It would be amazing if KH3 didn't have Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen, or Zootopia, considering that all of them set money records for Disney. Especially Zootopia, what with it being in [chi] and Unchained.

Also, I think there are two more new music tracks in [chi].

GoldStarz

It would be amazing if KH3 didn't have Star Wars, Marvel, Frozen, or Zootopia, considering that all of them set money records for Disney. Especially Zootopia, what with it being in [chi] and Unchained.

I actually don't think they'll have Star Wars tbh. They already have Marvel in the game with BH6 though which makes me think they won't try to do any comics or MCU crossovers.

zeemumu

I think Big Hero 6, Tangled, and Frozen will fill the shoes for worlds added by popularity or recent release. We usually only have one in a game (Pirates for KH2 and Tron Legacy for DDD)

Zootopia being so recent makes me think it won't be a world (unless they decided to be really foreward thinking for this one/the game is still ways off), not impossible doe. I expect them to Chicken Little it doe and have something smaller related to it. Of course Tron Legacy was quite recent as well when DDD came out so who knows but KH3 has been in development for some time with a much slower dev cycle.

I haven't seen the movie so I don't really know if it would make a good base for a world or not.

Malyse

Zootopia being so recent makes me think it won't be a world (unless they decided to be really foreward thinking for this one/the game is still ways off), not impossible doe. I expect them to Chicken Little it doe and have something smaller related to it. Of course Tron Legacy was quite recent as well when DDD came out so who knows but KH3 has been in development for some time with a much slower dev cycle.

I haven't seen the movie so I don't really know if it would make a good base for a world or not.
You forget that Nomura sees movies far in advance of the theatrical release and that Zootopia is in both mobile and browser games. There's no precedent for a completely non game to get recognition like that.

StoneFox

I haven't even followed Zootopia at all. Was it a successful movie (Critically/Commercially speaking)?
It has almost reached 1 billion WW gross (Wikipedia says it's sitting at $917,267,489 right now). It has made more money than Inside Out but I doubt it will exceed Frozen.

Psxphile

I haven't even followed Zootopia at all. Was it a successful movie (Critically/Commercially speaking)?

lmVcuK3.png

bruh

It's actually pretty cool that while FF (and Square japan) brand has been going through the mud and has almost no clout in the general KH talk the animated Disney universe is more powerful than ever. I remember back when KH2 came out and the discussions on KH3 began almost nobody was talking about recent Disney films being a part of it (minus something like Pirates sequels).

Maybe someday it will be union of two powerhouses again but for now Disney is definately the one carrying KH3.

It has almost reached 1 billion WW gross (Wikipedia says it's sitting at $917,267,489 right now). It has made more money than Inside Out but I doubt it will exceed Frozen.

Highest grossing film of 2016. At least for a few days until another Disney film that shall remain nameless surpasses it.

We need some Minions sequels to break the monopoly.

Well, damn. That's good to hear for Disney, then.

Really debating on buying a ps3 to replay 1 and 2, are the fat ones any good?

I'd recommend either the Slim or if funds are an issue, a SuperSlim. The fat models are more or less ticking timebombs at this point. The Slim models are far more reliable.

Really debating on buying a ps3 to replay 1 and 2, are the fat ones any good?

Still rocking my Fat PS3 and I have no complaints. Doe the earliest ones supposedly can be a bit risky and might have a Sixaxis instead of Dualshock 3.

Well, damn. That's good to hear for Disney, then.

I feel like Disney can release almost anything in animated form and it can make crazy money. Very few competitors have the balls to put any huge marketing behind their flicks. Basically the only ones that come close in brand power are Kung Fu Panda and Despicable Me (plus Minions). And whenever they are about to get a hit to their brand with mediocre films like A Good Dinosaur (does anybody even talk about that film anymore?) they follow up with stuff like Zootopia.

Like, they ain't even showing shit like Ratchet and Clank in theaters over here.

Soriku

It's actually pretty cool that while FF (and Square japan) brand has been going through the mud and has almost no clout in the general KH talk the animated Disney universe is more powerful than ever. I remember back when KH2 came out and the discussions on KH3 began almost nobody was talking about recent Disney films being a part of it (minus something like Pirates sequels).

Maybe someday it will be union of two powerhouses again but for now Disney is definately the one carrying KH3.

Just think, if KH3 actually came out last gen it would have a completely different set of worlds. Then again I guess the spinoff games were going to happen regardless, taking up a lot of time until KH3...

Just think, if KH3 actually came out last gen it would have a completely different set of worlds.

Sadly I think it releasing in 2020 lessens the chances of me ever getting Great Mouse Detective world ;-;.

That really is the only new classic world I personally would really want to see.

botty

Banned
Sadly I think it releasing in 2020 lessens the chances of me ever getting Great Mouse Detective world ;-;.

That really is the only new classic world I personally would really want to see.

You're forgetting that The Great Mouse Detective is getting a live action remake a la The Jungle Book. Just close your eyes and dream.

I just finished KH1 Final Mix for the first time (not counting playing the first PS2 release at least a decade ago, I didn't remember a thing), and I'm starting my way through the series. Just wanted to pop in and bombard you all with questions.

Is the Remix order a fine order to play in? I was planning on going 1 > CoM > 358/2 > 2 > BBS > Re:Coded > DDD (when 2.8 hits) unless release order is the better way to go. I think the only difference here is swapping 2 and 358/2.

I already bought 358/2 since it was very cheap during SE's most recent sale on their online store, but is Re:Coded worth actually playing? I've heard its the weakest of them, and I'll probably end up giving it a shot regardless. I'm just not sure how the Remix movies versions are.

Any general tips for Re: CoM? I started it and got through a world or so. I love weird ass action card games, so this is up my alley despite being pretty bizarre and janky. The battle system makes more sense than I expected at a glance.

And finally, is there anything I might have missed in KH FM's story if I finished the game, watched the secret ending + Deep Dive, read the extra Ansem reports, and caught the fight with Unknown? The only future spoiler stuff I know is from medals in the mobile game, and playing maybe twenty minutes of BBS a few years back. I'd like to think I'm going in pretty clean.

GoldStarz

I just finished KH1 Final Mix for the first time (not counting playing the first PS2 release at least a decade ago, I didn't remember a thing), and I'm starting my way through the series. Just wanted to pop in and bombard you all with questions.

Is the Remix order a fine order to play in? I was planning on going 1 > CoM > 358/2 > 2 > BBS > Re:Coded > DDD (when 2.8 hits) unless release order is the better way to go. I think the only difference here is swapping 2 and 358/2.
It's more or less fine. Might be a couple hiccups, but nothing that'll make you just completely confused about iirc.

I already bought 358/2 since it was very cheap during SE's most recent sale on their online store, but is Re:Coded worth actually playing? I've heard its the weakest of them, and I'll probably end up giving it a shot regardless. I'm just not sure how the Remix movies versions are.
Re:Coded is pretty lame to be honest. I'd skip it entirely. Most of the game itself is pretty irrelevant, there were actually cinematics added in to make it more important to the overall story.

Any general tips for Re: CoM? I started it and got through a world or so. I love weird ass action card games, so this is up my alley despite being pretty bizarre and janky. The battle system makes more sense than I expected at a glance.
I mean, I kinda skipped through Re:CoM because the card battling system isn't for me and was hard to utilize quickly, so I can't help you there.

And finally, is there anything I might have missed in KH FM's story if I finished the game, watched the secret ending + Deep Dive, read the extra Ansem reports, and caught the fight with Unknown? The only future spoiler stuff I know is from medals in the mobile game, and playing maybe twenty minutes of BBS a few years back. I'd like to think I'm going in pretty clean.
Story-wise, not really. It sounds like you got everything you needed for the full story details.

Some disagree on this but I think you should definately play in release order rather than remix order if it is possible for you. Meaning KH2 after CoM rather than KH2 after Days.

As for CoM, when leveling up try to learn new sleights whenever possible. Next up CP>HP (it's CP right? Bad memory) for most cases. You'll want to have about 2 CP upgrades for every HP upgrade. Also save every roulette room card you have until you absolutely need them to get a specific card when you get stuck on some room requirement. For example there might be a room where you need a Blue 0 room card and roulette rooms make getting these MUCH easier.

The first time you actually need to worry about missing story is getting the secret endings in BBS.

As for CoM, when leveling up try to learn new sleights whenever possible. Next up CP>HP (it's CP right? Bad memory) for most cases. You'll want to have about 2 CP upgrades for every HP upgrade. Also save every roulette room card you have until you absolutely need them to get a specific card when you get stuck on some room requirement. For example there might be a room where you need a Blue 0 room card and roulette rooms make getting these MUCH easier.

That's a huge, huge help, thank you. I'd been doing about 1:1, and I've been feeling desperately underpowered out of the gate.

It sounds like I'm pretty set. Thank you, both of you. The only reason I was going out of order was mostly just to get 1.5 cleared off of the ol' shelf, but I can hop around a little.

I did take a quick glance at RE:Coded. Yeesh. That's more budget than I ever expected. I'm gonna rethink that, or put it off until I'm desperate for a little more of this. Extra sure about that if they added to the HD movie version.

also

Banned

Re:Coded is the weakest in terms of story but it's a blast to play. The gameplay is basically upgraded from BBS, but the game adds cheats that allow you to customize your experience (level, difficulty, enemy drops ... think like in The World Ends with You but even more in depth). The stages also vary and are not limited to standard KH action; there's a 2D side-scrolling section, a shump... Seriously, it's great and DDD was a huge step back in many ways and it sadly looks like that KH3 will be the same.

Watching the movie instead of playing it is completely missing the point of the game and you're going to have a bad time.

Looks like I've got one to think over. But I've got a good few full games to get to before then. It's been on my "Will it drop to $10?" watch on Amazon for a while, so I'll keep an eye out.

Malyse

Re:coded is fun to play. Most creative and experimental they've ever been in the series.

-----

How would you feel about KH3's multiplayer being a Monster Hunter/PSO HD version of [chi]/Unchained? Maybe reusing assets from Back Cover.

specifically:

I only want one thing and one thing only from the Kingdom Hearts series: Monster Hunter / PSO styled game. Four player co-op, mission structure, multiple costumes, create a character. Set it in the past and use the plotline of KH chi. Plus with what like, 11 different keyblade wielding styles thus far? Let up pick what kind of keyblade fighting style we want to use as well. Or, you can tie the wielding style to the keyblade itself. Big and unwieldy? Terra style. Two handed grip? Eraqus style. Short and speedy? Ven style. Two big blades? Valor style. Two light blades? Roxas style. Make the abilities item drops with a trading system. Let us pick classes too. So a dual wielding mage would be Master form style, a dual wielding tank would be Valor and a dual wielding DPS would be Roxas. Call it RE:chi. Done and done.
I'll add: make the mission structure like Days and give me the keyblade evolution of chi. Toss in some character trees to customize my character. For example, one tree leads to the ability to use forms, which you would have to use points to unlock. One tree leads to keyblade transformations. One tree leads to limit breaks a la days. One tree leads to style changes. One leads to a redone overclock system. And you can switch between a KH1, KH2, and KH3D,BBS,re:coded magic system.

Hachitora

So I'm almost at the platinum for KH1, and I'm trying to figure out which game imma plat next. Won't happen for quite a while, but which game in your opinion is less tedious to platinum: BBS or Re:CoM? Re:CoM sounds really not fun because 6 playthroughs but idk what BBS is like to platinum.

sasuke_91

So I'm almost at the platinum for KH1, and I'm trying to figure out which game imma plat next. Won't happen for quite a while, but which game in your opinion is less tedious to platinum: BBS or Re:CoM? Re:CoM sounds really not fun because 6 playthroughs but idk what BBS is like to platinum.
You'll have to do pretty much the same stuff for 3 characters in order to platinum BBS.

I wanted to platinum KH2 once but my save file is lost (I whined about it in this thread as well :p) and Gummi ship missions don't seem very fun to me.

also

Banned
What's really the difference between Xenahort and Ansem?
Xenahort (the original, a normal human) -> Terranort (Xenahort's heart in Terra's body) -> Ansem, Seeker of Darkness (heartless born from Terranort) + Xenmas (nobody born from Terranort)

Ansem the Wise - a completely different character. Terranort takes over his lab in Radiant Garden and steals his research and name.

JTripper

BBS platinum is awful. I don't want to say Re:CoM is less tedious only because I did it a while ago and I finished BBS very recently so I still have fresh contempt for its platinum.

Both took around 80 hours total playtime to platinum. Honestly though, I'd rather play Re:CoM's story 6 times and only have to 100% it once than have to 100% BBS 3 times.

Mediking

Ansem the Wise or KH1's Seeker of Darkness Ansem?

My original question, sorta.

Xenahort (the original, a normal human) -> Terranort (Xenahort's heart in Terra's body) -> Ansem, Seeker of Darkness (heartless born from Terranort) + Xenmas (nobody born from Terranort)

Ansem the Wise - a completely different character. Terranort takes over his lab in Radiant Garden and steals his research and name.

Wow.... now that's confusing.... so where is Terranort? Terra isn't dead... right?

zeemumu

My original question, sorta.

Wow.... now that's confusing.... so where is Terranort? Terra isn't dead... right?

Terranort got split into Ansem Seeker of Darkness and Xemnas, who both got defeated and then reformed into Xehanort. We don't really know what's left of Terra after all of this is done. We haven't seen Terranort since he got split into a heartless and nobody.

Top Bottom