• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts Community Thread: Now everybody can be a Keyblade Wielder!

Sbik

Neo Member
BOuHLg3CAAEsbkc.jpg

Maybe these guys will play an important role in the next KH saga?

Kingdom Hearts Wiki said:
There is a Forteller for each of the five Unions which they lead into the battle to protect the worlds against the rising darkness.

Apparently they are the guardians of light fighting against the darkness but they look shady as fuck.

Psxphile

I just hope more characters don't get the Selphie & Tidus or even Gullwing treatment.

MRY6g5r.png

I feel you on the Gullwings, but why wouldn't you like kid versions of FF protags? Or any other Square game? I've been pining for a 13 year old Aya Brea equipped with a pop gun ever since KH1!

... that came out wrong...

Apparently they are the guardians of light fighting against the darkness but they look shady as fuck.

Going full Shin Megami Tensei up in here. BBS proved that the light side wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, Eraqus was pretty unnerved by anything that was tinged (or tainted) by darkness. Could be an interesting angle.

http://i.imgur.com/MRY6g5r.png?1

I feel you on the Gullwings, but why wouldn't you like kid versions of FF protags? Or any other Square game?
Selphie's change I just didn't like because she is one of my favorite characters from VIII.
Tidus despite not even liking him much, I felt being a main character that he at least deserved a little better of a role.
I do actually like how they fit Raijin, Fujin and Seifer in.
Would have been fine with the Gullwings if they were exactly the same but human.

Though my favorite Final Fantasy character got the best role of them
so I cant really complain.

Tsunamo

I already told you guys:

2014: 2.5
2015: Dream Drop Distance Final Mix
2016: Kingdom Hearts Theathrythm
2017: Kingdom Hearts VII-20 IRRATIONAL NUMBER: Pascal's Lament
2018: Kingdom Hearts: All the Bravest
2019: Kingdom Hearts 3
I think you're being a little unfair on Square-Enix Frank.

Add a collection of everything as filler for Kingdom Hearts III bringing it up to 2020 and we're good. :p
I remember that (intended to be april fools?) joke. Sure did fool me back then, a design like this is something I could totally see happening if Lightning ever did appear in Kingdom Hearts.

Tenrius

Hollow Bastion is indeed pretty cool. I think that's because they were finally free to do whatever they want, as opposed to following layouts of Disney movies (and having to cramp a sizeable Disney franchise into a small level). That's mostly talking about story stuff.

Also, the battles have been pretty easy as of late, mostly thanks to Tinker Bell and MP Rage/MP Haste and Bambi is incredibly useful as well, because he essentially fully restores your MP, fast. Even that huge dragon was a super easy opponent, I just cast Stopra all the time, got hit by the flames occasionally thus gaining MP and got healed by Tinker Bell to complete the circle. The Riku fight after that is harder, though.

Energy magnet must be the worst command in bbs (or any KH game for that matter). Ability that is supposed to be used for healing leaves you vulnerable for like 2-3 seconds giving the enemies ample time to get the attacls ready. Only way I can imagine it being of any use is if used as a follow up to magnet/stop/aero/sleep but like, why the fuck wouldnt I just use cure?

There are other bad commands too but this one might take the cake. Not good even for fun use like the breakdance command :(.

TheMink

Energy magnet must be the worst command in bbs (or any KH game for that matter). Ability that is supposed to be used for healing leaves you vulnerable for like 2-3 seconds giving the enemies ample time to get the attacls ready. Only way I can imagine it being of any use is if used as a follow up to magnet/stop/aero/sleep but like, why the fuck wouldnt I just use cure?

There are other bad commands too but this one might take the cake. Not good even for fun use like the breakdance command :(.

There are more than a few things that dont really have many applications in BBS.

And then freaking Magnega is like this brainless attack that pulls in even larger unversed, and even if i do nothing to follow up its more than possible everybody will just die from being chipped by it.

That long-ass cutscene right before the Riku fight, damn. It's the third time I have to watch it.

Nice avatar/username.

That Riku fight is so damn fun, though. I really wish that KH1FM had Data Versions of some of the fights like KH2FM has for the Organization Members, or at least re-fightable versions of the final Riku fight and the battle with Kurt Zisa.

It's a good thing Final Mix/1.5 lets you skip cutscenes, makes a world of difference for boss battles that you keep on losing on.

That's really the major one I've run into in the game, but the boss battles against Clayton and Captain Hook can be pretty bad too if you're not being careful. Definitely looking forward to a less-frustrating playthrough (even though Proud difficulty's greater challenge should also be a lot of fun).

Video with some comparisons between original games and 1.5 HD versions. Points out the bad stuff too, I wish they did replace some of the worst fishmouth model scenes since they did it to quite a few ones in BBS (All (?) Kairi, Sora and Riku scenes. Few Yen Sid scenes).

Seems like some lipsynch are straight from english version too so they probably won't have to redo them at all. Some Sephiroth audio bug too due to new japanese voices.

And lol at Ansems jaw melting with his neck.

Tenrius

I just beat Kingdom Hearts and... huh? What just happened and where did everybody go all of a sudden?

Either way, it's been a great journey. Excellent game.

Seems like some lipsynch are straight from english version too so they probably won't have to redo them at all. Some Sephiroth audio bug too due to new japanese voices.

This is ridiculous. Ruins some of the best scenes in the game. Then they revert back and forth between japanese and english sync.

That video reminds me of everybodys favourite character, Lexaeus. ''Silent Hero'' indeed while yelling like the fuckin Beast. DONT MOCK ME YARRSDAtsde

Do I just turn the game off at this "The End" screen and reload the last save to do that?

Yup, hopefully you saved at the last save point as the game insisted :d. You can meet the secret bosses in Agrabah and Neverland by talking to the Magic Carpet and Tinker Bell, you need to have Peter Pan in your party at least on the latter, don't remember if you need Aladdin tho. The Colosseum bosses are just there on the list with no hoops. Depending on your level you might get your ass kicked tho :lol.

The sequels (at least most of em!) actually let you continue playing after defeating the final boss.

Yup, hopefully you saved at the last save point as the game insisted :d. You can meet the secret bosses in Agrabah and Neverland by talking to the Magic Carpet and Tinker Bell, you need to have Peter Pan in your party at least on the latter, don't remember if you need Aladdin tho. The Colosseum bosses are just there on the list with no hoops. Depending on your level you might get your ass kicked tho :lol.

The sequels (at least most of em!) actually let you continue playing after defeating the final boss.

Man, I forgot all about that. What's with needing Peter Pan in your party for the Phantom battle, anyway? Is it that you need Peter Pan in order to be able to communicate with Tinker Bell?

Even *more* reason to wish that Phantom and Kurt Zisa were refightable. I forgot that you can't actually fight Phantom with your fully-kitted-out normal party. PP is kinda not that useful.

I always ended up just using Goofy and taking away all of his abilities that weren't MP Gift because of the way the Phantom fight works.

Man, I forgot all about that. What's with needing Peter Pan in your party for the Phantom battle, anyway? Is it that you need Peter Pan in order to be able to communicate with Tinker Bell?

Even *more* reason to wish that Phantom and Kurt Zisa were refightable. I forgot that you can't actually fight Phantom with your fully-kitted-out normal party. PP is kinda not that useful.

I always ended up just using Goofy and taking away all of his abilities that weren't MP Gift because of the way the Phantom fight works.
Confession: I never used Peter Pan when playing the game (or any other party member due to the stupid design of only being able to use trinities with D+G. In KH2 I always let the party members join me).

Due to this I actually thought that the weird laughing sound PP makes when he does that one move was Phantom and not PP. Made the boss pretty creepy :lol.

Confession: I never used Peter Pan when playing the game (or any other party member due to the stupid design of only being able to use trinities with D+G. In KH2 I always let the party members join me).

Due to this I actually thought that the weird laughing sound PP makes when he does that one move was Phantom and not PP. Made the boss pretty creepy :lol.

To be fair, IIRC Beast is damn useful even against the secret Xemnas boss battle.

Beast shows up in the cutscene for the battle, but it actually defaults to Sora/Donald/Goofy regardless of whether or not you put Beast in the party.

One thing that nags me about BBS too: Hades is so fuckin weird in it! Also the whole colosseum, out of nowhere they start doing Greece puns/references in the dialogue. The Terra one is kinda funny and makes sense but the others just feel out of place compared to the previous games.

Also I dunno what it is about Hades in that game but it makes me feel like this: the dialogue for him was probably terrible in Japanese version and so was the translation. James Wood threw some of his own stuff in there and it just became weird. I dunno how to explain it really. The character just feels upset for no reason and this was before the whole Hercules thing. Hes whole motivation seems to be annoy Zeus... for some reason by... having Terra/Zack go all dark mode? I guess? The whole deal about it is just weird and I don't really see Hades as the guy who is trying to mess with ''darkness'' at all so bluntly. In previous games he is about contracts and manipulation. Also for some reason they have a fake Ice Titan (Ice Colossus they call it) accompany him in the boss fight. Why did they feel the need to have a fake Ice Titan there? What's the point. Have something original if you really want to have a 2 on 1. Have some lesser monster from the movie make an appearance like the river centaur or Medusa or that bird thingy. I dunno!

One thing that nags me about BBS too: Hades is so fuckin weird in it! Also the whole colosseum, out of nowhere they start doing Greece puns/references in the dialogue. The Terra one is kinda funny and makes sense but the others just feel out of place compared to the previous games.

Also I dunno what it is about Hades in that game but it makes me feel like this: the dialogue for him was probably terrible in Japanese version and so was the translation. James Wood threw some of his own stuff in there and it just became weird. I dunno how to explain it really. The character just feels upset for no reason and this was before the whole Hercules thing. Hes whole motivation seems to be annoy Zeus... for some reason by... having Terra/Zack go all dark mode? I guess? The whole deal about it is just weird and I don't really see Hades as the guy who is trying to mess with ''darkness'' at all so bluntly. In previous games he is about contracts and manipulation. Also for some reason they have a fake Ice Titan (Ice Colossus they call it) accompany him in the boss fight. Why did they feel the need to have a fake Ice Titan there? What's the point. Have something original if you really want to have a 2 on 1. Have some lesser monster from the movie make an appearance like the river centaur or Medusa or that bird thingy. I dunno!

Part of this is due to the fact that, unfortunately, the Disney portions of the games have gotten kinda short shrift in the KH games that aren't 1 or 2. I mean, hell, the Cinderella portion of BBS actually results in the DEATH of the Wicked Stepmother and Ugly Stepsisters.

Part of this is due to the fact that, unfortunately, the Disney portions of the games have gotten kinda short shrift in the KH games that aren't 1 or 2. I mean, hell, the Cinderella portion of BBS actually results in the DEATH of the Wicked Stepmother and Ugly Stepsisters.

Yeah I commented on that before. That was actually kinda funny cause it's so out of place :lol. I never saw the movie (I don't think you need to ask why) but I think I heard somewhere one of the sisters is the main character in the Cinderella 3movie. I guess we won't be getting a world based on Cinderella 3 in KH3 ;_______;

Tho I do need to see that movie someday because that sounds so fuckin weird that I dunno what to say.

Also for some reason I think no matter how evil your stepmother is, she won't stand there laughing when a fuckin giant monster appears and starts to carpet bomb everything near her house.

Tenrius

One thing I noticed about the Kingdom Hearts series is that people seem to find some more or less major issue with about every game. That's not like with most other well-established series, when there is often a game considered flawless or at least examplary and all others are compared to it (like Trials and Tribulations in the Phoenix Wright series, or whatever the favorite game of the person doing the comparison is). Am I wrong in assuming that (I very well might be, since I didn't really have a lot of previous exposure to the KH fanbase)? Is there a game which is a definitive Kingdom Hearts experience?

One thing I noticed about the Kingdom Hearts series is that people seem to find some more or less major issue with about every game. That's not like with most other well-established series, when there is often a game considered flawless or at least examplary and all others are compared to it (like Trials and Tribulations in the Phoenix Wright series, or whatever the favorite game of the person doing the comparison is). Am I wrong in assuming that (I very well might be, since I didn't really have a lot of previous exposure to the KH fanbase)? Is there a game which is a definitive Kingdom Hearts experience?

Not really, though KH1FM, KH2FM, and BBSFM are all truly fantastic games. But they've all got - well, not always flaws, but lacks, at the very least.

Nothing wrong with thinking that at all, since it's mostly true. Depending on who you ask, the best game in the series is either Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, or Birth by Sleep, with the majority casual opinion skewing heavily towards KHII.
(Then there are the few crazies that champion 358/2 as the best game, but we don't talk about those people.)

Like badcrumble says though, the Final Mix versions of all three respective games are all fantastic, so whichever game is the "best" doesn't really matter.

Caladrius

The primary KH titles (1,2 and Birth By Sleep) are generally (key word) regarded as the best titles, at least in terms of gameplay, and if you were looking for an introduction to the series you would want to play one of those.

Unlike a lot of iterative series Kingdom Hearts almost always has major mechanical/story/presentation changes and as a result most installments play and feel radically different from one another. That's the biggest factor that drives all of the disagreement among fans. The games all have very different good and bad qualities and what the "definitive Kingdom Hearts experience" is varies greatly because of that.

Nothing wrong with thinking that at all, since it's mostly true. Depending on who you ask, the best game in the series is either Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts II, or Birth by Sleep, with the majority casual opinion skewing heavily towards KHII.
(Then there are the few crazies that champion 358/2 as the best game, but we don't talk about those people.)

Like badcrumble says though, the Final Mix versions of all three respective games are all fantastic, so whichever game is the "best" doesn't really matter.

I think KH2 is absolutely the most ambitious of the Kingdom Hearts games, but I honestly think it's by far the most deeply flawed of all of the 'best' KH games as well (mainly because of the general deadness of the worlds compared to KH1).

image.php

KH is indeed one of those series that IMO doesn't have a ''definitive game'' even tho I do have a favourite. Every one has flaws that might be fixed in the other games. For example in KH2 they fixed the camera and made combat much more flashier and faster ect. and vastly improved the gummi segments but they messed up the pacing that was pretty much perfect imo in KH1, Disney worlds didn't feel quite as good and the post game content was a step down from KH1 (tho they fixed this in KH2FM). BBS has the best customization for example and good combat but Disney worlds are step down again and voice acting is not on par.

But of course KH3 will be like, the greatest game ever made.
Until KH3 Final Mix is released

Tenrius

I see then and I think it's really quite unusual for a series to be like that. But of course it's good that the games have a lot of design differences, kinda like SMT. Pity to learn that the pacing is worse in KH2 by the way, I really liked KH1 pacing.

Point me to those people and I will find a way to make them hate Xion as much as I do.

YoungBlade was saying something to that effect earlier in this thread.

I think KH2 is absolutely the most ambitious of the Kingdom Hearts games, but I honestly think it's by far the most deeply flawed of all of the 'best' KH games as well (mainly because of the general deadness of the worlds compared to KH1).

I agree, you can tell they tried really hard to wow the player, and hell as a teenager they succeeded with me in many ways. However, just as you said, level design took a major hit and this is one of the areas I find myself focusing on the most nowadays.

I do remember when I played KH2 for the first time and it was the greatest game ever made, not even joking :lol. It was only after when I really started to feel the flaws and appreciate many things the original did better.

I honestly believe KH2 was rushed and the team was like ''who cares, we have a Final Mix coming!''. It isn't even a question they knew they would rerelease the game, I remember the interviews back then when Nomura was asked about it and he was always like ''we have no plans for that but I have like ton of ideas what I would do in that''.

Ironic that IIRC the big thing for him were the return of mushroom heartless and that was like the lamest thing that KH2FM added :lol.

But I usually am way too negative when talking about KH2. I still LOVE that game in the end and if something still hasn't been spoiled for me it is that it is one of the best technical showcases for the PS2. Up there with Silent Hill 3. I actually would put KH2 above GOW2 any day just due to the timeless artstyle and my ''realistic'' award goes to SH3.

I do remember when I played KH2 for the first time and it was the greatest game ever made, not even joking :lol. It was only after when I really started to feel the flaws and appreciate many things the original did better.

I honestly believe KH2 was rushed and the team was like ''who cares, we have a Final Mix coming!''. It isn't even a question they knew they would rerelease the game, I remember the interviews back then when Nomura was asked about it and he was always like ''we have no plans for that but I have like ton of ideas what I would do in that''.

Ironic that IIRC the big thing for him were the return of mushroom heartless and that was like the lamest thing that KH2FM added :lol.

Yeah, I attribute that to it being his first sequel.

Sequels are always hard to get right, a lot of folks focus so hard on trying to be better than the original that they forget to keep the things that made the original so great.

Yeah, I attribute that to it being his first sequel.

Sequels are always hard to get right, a lot of folks focus so hard on trying to be better than the original that they forget to keep the things that made the original so great.

Tho one of the interesting things that I have seen with KH2 is that the backlash was almost nonexistant compared to the hype. The hype back in the day was insane and when the game released ''everyone'' liked the game. And when the normal backlash came it felt really small compared to many other games with such big hype so I guess it did do many things right. As Seven Force said even the masses that played the far inferior vanilla KH2 majority of them seem to think that KH2 is the best game in the series and while I disagree I can totally see why they would think that just because I remember how much pure FUN the game was.

Top Bottom