• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdom Hearts III Announced for PS4

NotLiquid

Final Fantasy XV I can't say I'm too excited about. I've waited for it long enough for the luster to wear out, but if the game is great I'll pick it up.

Kingdom Hearts III is good news but I suspect they'll take an eternity to come out with it. Although considering the tweet in the OP and the way they put FFXV and KHIII platforms in the sentence it almost makes it seem like KHIII won't be exclusive. Could a Wii U version be possible? I mean okay, Nintendo never got any of the main entries but Dream Drop Distance seemed like a game that was pretty big on 3DS. Can't deny the KH series actually having a shred of association with them.

Why hasn't anyone confirmed whether or not this and FFXV are PS4 exclusive? I guess Sony would have made a huge deal of it if they were even timed exclusive.

Dragun619

Why hasn't anyone confirmed whether or not this and FFXV are PS4 exclusive? I guess Sony would have made a huge deal of it if they were even timed exclusive.

Check the FFXV thread. Verendus dropped this bit.

Right now, neither FF15 or KH3 are signed on the dotted line exclusive. FF15 was, once upon a time, pretty much expected as SCE were the ones who made the initial approach for that project to be changed to a next generation platform. KH3 was pursued aggressively, and was near enough finalised about a month ago, but since the MS reveal, a fair few things have changed. So, things are on hold right now, and the contract is essentially in the air. However, SCE does have options on exclusive games from SE.

Secondly, people should really disregard this whole Sony co-developing nonsense. I've said before it's exaggerated, and it really is. I'm also quite confident the so called 'sources' of this nonsense rumour are probably derived from a couple PMs of mine back at the end of January. I told a fair few people (one ended up having a meltdown, and then getting banned), and I imagine some went to places like VGLeaks, and then other sites picked up on it later.

Anyhow, game looks really nice. The segments in the building, and the water city with the boats and European/ME architecture are all real time.

Loved the reveal. I'm still in joyous shock from when this (and XV) came on.

And like I said in the XV thread, when that classic KH song came on with those visuals....so good!

Reyne

Felt almost like a heartless watching that trailer. This is good news, no doubt. Yet I am not very excited over the reveal. Despite being a big KH fan back in the days I have sort of fallen out with the them.

HazardBob

Neo Member

At this point they aren't.
The word exclusive would be all over everywhere if they were.

Too bady though, especially since PS4 is so much more powerful. All that power won't be fully utilized now.

Felt almost like a heartless watching that trailer. This is good news, no doubt. Yet I am not very excited over the reveal. Despite being a big KH fan back in the days I have sort of fallen out with the them.
Understandable since what they showed was effectively nothing anyway; it was one step up away from being an announcement of an announcement. The dull irony of showing Versus right before it, with all its development history woes, didn't help much either. We won't here shit about this game again for years just like before, you can bet on that.

Are we gonna learn anything else about KH3 during E3 or was this it for now? I doubt it's very far in development anyways, though

I'm glad it's finally announced, I just hope that Square can still make this game awesome, they're a lot different now than they were back in the PS2 days. I liked a few of the portables but the series is in desperate need of a reboot---console style.

Mikey Jr.

You know what? I'm glad we didn't get KH3 on the PS3.

Now we have it on the PS4! Fuck yeah!

Hopefully we get it in a timely matter FFS.

Are we gonna learn anything else about KH3 during E3 or was this it for now? I doubt it's very far in development anyways, though

I'm glad it's finally announced, I just hope that Square can still make this game awesome, they're a lot different now than they were back in the PS2 days. I liked a few of the portables but the series is in desperate need of a reboot---console style.

Perhaps tomorrow, at the Future of FF thing. It's not an official title, but everyone makes the association anyway. I expect it's very early in development though, as they are just finishing up XV

Wazzy

Banned
I'm so excited for this. They better have some new FF characters like Rinoa, Red XIII, Zidane, Fang, Zell and originals like Squall, Aerith and Cloud

It was pretty sad when Dream Drop didn't have any.

iFU68nzQmuG9Z.gif

It still baffles me that they never had a mainline Kingdom Hearts on console this past gen. I guess due to development strife on other titles?

Either way, glad to see this is finally being made.

Village

It still baffles me that they never had a mainline Kingdom Hearts on console this past gen. I guess due to development strife on other titles?

Either way, glad to see this is finally being made.

There were alot of rumors, one of the ones I had heard was that namura and crew didn't like the ps3 very much, and to be honest development for final fantasy 15 ( vs) didn't actually start for a long while after it was announced. Maybe that was actually the case.

Soriku

There were alot of rumors, one of the ones I had heard was that namura and crew didn't like the ps3 very much, and to be honest development for final fantasy 15 ( vs) didn't actually start for a long while after it was announced. Maybe that was actually the case.

Not sure where you heard that. But the real issue is bad management. The KH team were stuck working on Versus for years and couldn't do KH3, and they did a bunch of side stories to fill up time (though BBS and DDD at least are important). Now the KH team is still working on Versus, and they have another team to fill their place for KH (the Osaka team) but it's taken years to get up to that point.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm still kind of hoping they massively overhaul Sora's design. Like keep the face and keep it recognizable that it's him but get rid of the ridiculous clothes.

hal9001

Banned
I was literally screaming like a little girl at my computer screen when they were showing the trailers. What a crazy and surreal night for me (woke up at 2am then slept at 5am). You should have seen the live chat comments they were going nuts.

Mario007

I think it will be PS4/Wii U multiplat, Microsoft won't get it.
No way, might as well put it on the PS3 if that's the case. Nomura stated that the one thing Versus (now FFXV) will be good for is that he'll get to figure out a console and its secrets and use it properly for KH development. And there's no way FFXV is a Wii U title.

Mikey Jr.

Not sure what the point of the Xbone getting this game would be. I mean, they have never had a KH game on their system. Even KH 1.5 is one the PS3, its not even being ported to the 360.

I dont care either way. If its an easy port, then thats cool.

DatDude

Banned
I just can't even begin to fathom how the disney/pixar worlds will look like.

Damn it will be glorious. Might be as if we were actually stepping inside the movies this time.

MechaZain

Banned
It's probably been said but I'm guessing 2015 at the absolute earliest for this. Realistically later.

Could see 2.5HD next year to try and keep the hype going though.

It's probably been said but I'm guessing 2015 at the absolute earliest for this. Realistically later.

Could see 2.5HD next year to try and keep the hype going though.

Same thoughts. This seems very far away given XV needs to be finished up. I expected nothing more than a teaser for KHIII anyway. Maybe a couple of extra tidbits come TGS, but everything should ramping up for FFXV now. A summer release, hopefully.

It was great to hear Shimomura's music in both XV and KH trailers. I'm excited and hyped all over again. They will be back on track...

DatDude

Banned
Hopefully I wasn't the only one who cried during the reveal. :'(

When that music started playing, it hit me like a load of bricks. All that nostalgia. All those memories of when I was 8, 9 years old, becoming so taken and entranced. The innocence of youth, a time of simplicity.

A time when things were so much simpler. When life was just about doing your chores and making sure you got good grades. Where summer vacation was all about playing Jak and Daxer, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, and so many other games with your best friends until you passed out from being tired.

A time when there was no debate about DRM, Always Online, Anti Consumer-ism, Micro Transactions, DLC, and Free To Play. A time when there was no worries about what degree your going to pursue, or how your going to keep yourself awake enough to work at 2 part time jobs, and go to college in order to pay off your titanic student loans.

A time when Life, and Gaming, was simple.

To me Kingdom Hearts is the cornerstone of this time, of this "once-upon" a time youth. I miss that person, I miss that time. A simpler time.

DatDude

Banned
The reaction to Kingdom hearts online is probably the biggest of any title of the whole of E3.

It has a big following...do the sales match up though?

I mean if I didn't know any better I would think there as many kingdom hearts fans out there, as there are cod fans.

But I don't remember it moving THAT many copies.

Kyon

Banned
I would say a Wii U version would make sense too, since KH has seen some exposure on Nintendo platforms. I think Nintendo and SE are in good terms right now.

PS3/PS4/Wii U

sorry but no fanks. I would rather have XBone be a platform if that's the case. That way the game is next gen period and not held back

I mean if I didn't know any better I would think there as many kingdom hearts fans out there, as there are cod fans.

um the console versions? yes

Sweenix

Banned

the entire series has surpassed 17m, pretty great considering all the spin offs

Top Bottom