• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

Ydelnae

EOaHRAk.png

WAC42Ot.png

QWwoGj1.png

DIRECTOR | Takeshi Nozue
PRODUCER | Hajime Tabta
SCREENPLAY | Takashi Hasegawa
MUSIC | John Graham & Yoko Shimomura
BASED ON THE WORK BY | Tetsuya Nomura

DISTRIBUTOR |
  • Square-Enix
  • Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
  • Aniplex
  • Stage 6 Films
RUNNING TIME | 110 minutes

VOICES AVAILABLE IN | Japanese, English, French and Spanish.

RELEASE DATE (THEATRE)
RELEASE DATE (DIGITAL)
  • Japan | August 30th
  • United States | August 30th
  • Europe | August 30th
RELEASE DATE (PHYSICAL)
  • Japan | October 4th
  • United States | October 4th
  • Europe | October 4th

jRdTro4.png

The magical kingdom of Lucis is home to the hallowed Crystal, but the menacing empire of Niflheim will stop at nothing to make it theirs. War has raged between the two for as long as most can remember.
King Regis of Lucis commands an elite force of soldiers dubbed the Kingsglaive. Wielding their king’s magic, Nyx Ulric and his fellow glaives stand before the crown city of Insomnia, fighting to stay the inexorable advance of Niflheim’s imperial army.
Before the overwhelming military might of the empire, King Regis can only salvage his kingdom by accepting anultimatum—he must cede all lands outside the crown city, and see his son, Prince Noctis, wed to Lady Lunafreya, the former princess of Tenebrae now captive of Niflheim.
As the war of wills rages, the machinations of Niflheim transform Insomnia into an awe-inspiring battleground, pulling Nyx into a struggle for the very survival of the kingdom.

8vIVrDd.png

FVjVNRW.png

I3ywkK5.png

TNSD3eD.png

UcuaauB.png

q6YonHe.png

n2HouoL.png

mljAgRY.png

jUsEDEu.png

2njiyZp.png

t5gn9EZ.png

E3 2016 TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGl_2gYrfM0
UNCOVERED TEASER TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP8EgMUVmwk
JAPANESE TRAILER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlqlhm9DLko

RkWwmBT.png

img_bddvd01_main.jpg

FILM COLLECTIONS BOX EDITION
*Available with PS4/X1 version of FINAL FANTASY XV or without the console game
Contains:
  • Exclusive Lucis edition collector's box
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie Blu-ray & additional Disc 2
  • Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV animation series Blu-ray [5 episodes + exclusive Lunafreya short]
  • Exclusive Final Fantasy XV artbook
  • The Universe of Final Fantasy XV special disc
  • Exclusive Final Fantasy XV DLC: Noctis royal costume

This is exclusive to Japan. You can pre-order this edition here: https://www.aniplexplus.com/itemDVZUoGnj

row3.png

DELUXE EDITION
Contains:
  • PS4/X1 version of Final Fantasy XV
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie Blu-ray
Available on NA and EU territories.

pages

LIMITED VERSION
Contains:
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie Blu-ray
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV Digital Download
  • Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV animation series Blu-ray [5 episodes + exclusive Lunafreya short]
  • Steelbox

61MNxp%2BHKML._SL1000_.jpg

STANDARD VERSION
Contains:
  • Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV movie Blu-ray & Digital Download / DVD Disc
Available on NA and EU territories.

EgsiaCC.png

This thread has a moderator's approval to be posted in Gaming Discussion on July 9th.

The movie is already being screened at japanese theaters. You are free to post your overall impressions on the movie and to comment on details like the OST, character designs or art direction but everything related to the plot will have to be spoiler tagged until the movie is available on digital download or streaming. Please, avoid discussing footage from the movie that's not been released by official trailers or promotional pictures without using spoiler tags.

Please, no negativity on this OT thank you. If you don't like Final Fantasy XV, you don't consider Kingsglaive a worthy piece of media or you would have rather played Final Fantasy Versus XIII, that's fine, but please, do not derail the thread. If after watching the movie you still have thoughs on how Kingsglaive and FFXV relates to Versus XIII, you can discuss it with us, but we will try to avoid drive-by posting in this thread. This is not meant to censor any kind of comment, be it positive or negative about this game and movie, but posts like "I still don't get why we have to play as a boy-band in the game", "Tabata ruined this project and killed my family", "power rangers" and similar do not add anything more to the discussion.
Please, also refrain from posting spoilers about the Final Fantasy XV game in this OT.

Didn't realize this was out in Japan so soon. Looking forward to impressions. I've been pleasantly surprised by Brotherhood so far, hoping the Great Final Fantasy XV Transmedia Experience of 2016 continues to pay off.

Is there any general idea of when tickets might go on sale in the US for the 19th?

That Luna description LOL.

Also, "Everything for the Future King" honestly sounds to me like "Everything for Final Fantasy XV: The Game"

ebil

Great OT. Luna's description had me burst into laughter because I just expected something out of the official website, lol.

I'm really excited for this.

Ydelnae

Excuse me for the broken english and mispellings in the OT, I should have checked them before posting. Also, some pics seem to have lost some quality, I'll try to fix them.

So is it any good?

Impressions from people who saw the premiere and early screenings seem to be very good. I saw the first 10 minutes and I really liked the opening. My only complaint would be that Lena Headey seems to put an accent for Lunafreya that the game version doesn't have. But I haven't heard enough of the two VAs so maybe I'm wrong. The movie does a good job on stablishing the world of FFXV in its first minutes so if you haven't been following the game closely and still want to watch the movie first, you wouldn't have to feel lost, in my opinion.

Impressions from people who saw the premiere and early screenings seem to be very good. I saw the first 10 minutes and I really liked the opening. My only complaint would be that Lena Headey seems to put an accent for Lunafreya that the game version doesn't have. But I haven't heard enough of the two VAs so maybe I'm wrong. The movie does a good job on stablishing the world of FFXV in its first minutes so if you haven't been following the game closely and still want to watch the movie first, you wouldn't have to feel lost, in my opinion.
What accent is she putting on?

Mifec

I hope everyone gets exactly what they want out of this movie and that no one goes in with exaggerated expectations and gets disappointed.

Glad to see the movie will be out before the game on digital services.

thanks for the OT man.

GavinUK86

Saw this and was like "WTF" then realised it comes out in Japan tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I want to hear peoples opinions or not. Been waiting so long for everything I don't want to be soured.

Nice OT though! Good job.

And thank you for the attention bit at the end. A nice friendly OT is the best kind of OT.

Not even a stream version with English subtitles?
Squarenix, you know how long everyone is been waiting for the game, do you think people will have enough patience to wait a whole month for the movie to come out in the US?

Will buy on iTunes when it's released — really excited for this. Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV has been surprisingly pleasant to watch.

Ydelnae

What "accent" is she putting on?

I don't really know if it's an accent because I'm not a native english speaker and I might be just confusing terms. It might be her entonation. Her voice did not sound like I expected after watching the trailers. It's not like Lena is doing a bad job, but my first impression after hearing Luna talk was "Cersei with an accent".

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Do we know if the lipsync will be good in the English version? (I'm not getting my hopes up for the French version...)
The movie only has lip sync in the English version. They used performance capture from western actors and then had the leads, (Aaron Paul, Lena Headey etc.) do ADR over the renders so it looks off in a couple places. For all intents and purposes, the English version isn't a dub. Everything BUT the English version is a dub.

wmlk

In light of Delaney's accurate description of Luna, I'd like to point out this gem:

The guys in armor are using guns. There are skyscrapers, cars, technology of the modern era.

It's contemporary. Nowadays there are people in various countries who wear traditional dress. Doesn't mean the year isn't 2015.

Main male characters get to be hardened soldiers, princes with fated destinies chosen by gods, sports stars, former generals, mercenaries, etc. That's just backstories. It's 2015, and the main female character of Final Fantasy 15 is a trophy princess. How embarrassing it must be to stand next to Mirror's Edge, Horizon Zero Dawn, and even Assassin's Creed! Seems like not only is 15's technology stuck in the past, so are its female characters.

If you would like to argue that Luna's hypothetical future possible actions excuse her character base as a trophy princess, feel free to do so. Of course you'd be ok with it, because to you, the female characters don't have to be characters you'd like to be or play. After all, you don't play any female characters in this game.

Luna "trophy wife" Fleuret.

Ketaya

Not even a stream version with English subtitles?
Squarenix, you know how long everyone is been waiting for the game, do you think people will be patient enough to wait a whole month for the movie to come out in the US?

Blame Sony Pictures, they are distributing it. At Japan Expo SE couldn't even answer the question about french dub and just refered to Sony.

I don't really know if it's an accent because I'm not a native english speaker and I might be just confusing terms. It might be her entonation. Her voice did not sound like I expected after watching the trailers. It's not like Lena is doing a bad job, but my first impression after hearing Luna talk was "Cersei with an accent".
I was just wondering if she was using her regilar british voice or attempted a bad american accent or you're used to her british accent so hearing her voice with an american accent sounded funny.

The movie only has lip sync in the English version. They used performance capture from western actors and then had the leads, (Aaron Paul, Lena Headey etc.) do ADR over the renders so it looks off in a couple places. For all intents and purposes, the English version isn't a dub. Everything BUT the English version is a dub.

Ah, didn't know that. I hope it won't affect the Japanese reception negatively. Last thing we need is SE thinking "Oh the Japanese fandom doesn't like Westernized stuff, better double down on the anime artstyle next time".

Setsu00

Am I the only one who thinks that it's hypocritical to bash Luna's (or rather, the way she was portrayed in official media prior to Uncovered) critics on the one hand while adding that disclaimer at the very end of the OT?

Dark_castle

I find it bizarre that they intend to do simultaneous worldwide release for the game, but the movie? Nope, Japan has to have it first. Not only that, but Kingsglaive's artistic direction and setting are meant to appeal to western audience, but nope, let the Japanese people watch first, one whole month+ later for English speakers.

Fucking Square Enix.

Korigama

Am I the only one who thinks that it's hypocritical to bash Luna's (or rather, the way she was portrayed in official media prior to Uncovered) critics on the one hand while adding that disclaimer at the very end of the OT?
A straightforward description the same as the rest of the cast would've been more useful than venting about people who don't like her as a replacement, yes.

I find it bizarre that they intend to do simultaneous worldwide release for the game, but the movie? Nope, Japan has to have it first. Not only that, but Kingsglaive's artistic direction and setting are meant to appeal to western audience, but nope, let the Japanese people watch first, one whole month+ later for English speakers.

Fucking Square Enix.

Could be Sony's fault too. They are the distributor outside of Japan.

Ydelnae

If it's problematic, I'm removing it and apologizing for it. I don't think how that joke about Lunafreya's character and the disclaimer at the end of the OT relate in a hypocritical way; you can still post negative impressions and first thoughts about the characters and mock how they look, how they are presented and similar details, what I'm trying to say is that we should move away from the typical posts in every XV thread complaining about the direction the game took 4 years ago and things that have been known for years, like Stella being replaced, the main character designs and similar. Either way, I understand that joke about Luna can cause problems, so I'm on my way on making a new picture for her.

By the way, the Limited Edition with Steelbook and Brotherhood doesn't seem to be exclusive to france. Amazon.com and Amazon Germany have similar listings:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2RR7FO/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01HPWDXVS/

And while there hasn't been a confimation yet I expect the movie to get a german dub as well. I mean the game gets one and the prior FF movies did as well, so it would be weird if they skip it this time.

Will update the OP too with this. They officially announced the Kingsglaive + Brotherhood steelbox yesterday at the Japan Expo and it seemingly was a France exclusive. Glad to see it's popping up in more countries.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Ah, didn't know that. I hope it won't affect the Japanese reception negatively. Last thing we need is SE thinking "Oh the Japanese fandom doesn't like Westernized stuff, better double down on the anime artstyle next time".
Apparently impressions have been positive.

Setsu00

If it's problematic, I'm removing it and apologizing for it. I don't think how that joke about Lunafreya's character and the disclaimer at the end of the OT relate in a hypocritical way; you can still post negative impressions and first thoughts about the characters and mock how they look, how they are presented and similar details, what I'm trying to say is that we should move away from the typical posts in every XV thread complaining about the direction the game took 4 years ago and things that have been known for years, like Stella being replaced, the main character designs and similar. Either way, I understand that joke about Luna can cause problems, so I'm on my way on making a new picture for her.

I actually agree with that, but the point is that snarky remarks like that are bound to upset at least some people and will eventually deride the thread into another Stella vs. Luna (or Versus XIII vs. XV) debate.

Cedric

Tried searching but couldn't find anything: will the movie play in Canadian movie theatres as well? Or is it only Japan, France and USA?

Top Bottom