• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KINGSGLAIVE: Final Fantasy XV Thread: Everything for the future king

So is anyone who played the game and watched the film can explain me what was the
black shit around Crowe's eyes and what could of happened to her?

I was expecting to have an outright miserable time with this, but it was actually somewhat satisfactory to my surprise.

Was it Great? No. Good? No. Recommended? No. But I also didn't regret watching it. It was a fairly average prequel to a Final Fantasy game.

This still doesn't excuse the game from leaving out details or proper follow-ups in the narrative itself, which is what I've been hearing. In fact, I think it's a shame that the basis here gets muddied in the game's narrative or lack of fleshing out, if that's the case. The film gives some basis from which to create an engaging follow-up story.

Luna ended up as a disappointment aside from her doing the oddjob "outlandish thing", she doesn't really pop out from the by-the-books sweet princess role. I ended up liking Nyx alright. He's your average smartass action hero, but it worked for the material. The plot itself runs rather messy between the crumbling of the Kingsglaive and the invasion as well, but it was coherent.

P.S. Sean Bean was also perfect for his role, of course.

I was shocked to read that they patched in scenes from Kingsglaive after the game went gold.

How was this not already set in stone. This is supposed to be Final Fantasy where half the memory is dedicated to story events.
I can't believe such an epic moment
"The Fall of Insomnia"was originally just a throw away line and a newspaper headline.
It's 2016, SHOW (that shit) don't just tell.

Ultimadrago

I was shocked to read that they patched in scenes from Kingsglaive after the game went gold.

How was this not already set in stone. This is supposed to be Final Fantasy where half the memory is dedicated to story events.
I can't believe such an epic moment
"The Fall of Insomnia"was originally just a throw away line and a newspaper headline.
It's 2016, SHOW (that shit) don't just tell.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'm going to dread going through it if the narrative feels half as incomplete as others have said. I really don't know how they could make such a mess out of it. When I read or see something important happen "Off-Screen", it's usually a single offender, but I'm hearing of multiple instances where details better given to the player are left vague through slapdash methods.

I just don't know. I'll get around to the game eventually, but I've had these thoughts going in.

I haven't played the game yet, but I'm going to dread going through it if the narrative feels half as incomplete as others have said. I really don't know how they could make such a mess out of it. When I read or see something important happen "Off-Screen", it's usually a single offender, but I'm hearing of multiple instances where details better given to the player are left vague through slapdash methods.

I just don't know. I'll get around to the game eventually, but I've had these thoughts going in.
You have it better off, than than those who didn't watch it, because you at least know whats going on.

And if you aren't going to play it anytime soon... by the time you get around to it, it may be patched in with all of the updates/dlc they will be adding.

Ultimadrago

You have it better off, than than those who didn't watch it, because you at least know whats going on.

And if you aren't going to play it anytime soon... by the time you get around to it, it may be patched in with all of the updates/dlc they will be adding.

Yeah, I haven't decided yet, all I know is that I'll get to it before Persona 5's US release because I eat my veggies before I start on the meat.

Even if it were patched by the time I started it, just knowing how shipped off may get to me and how they implement those story additions is just as important as the action itself. Assuming those transitions comes off poorly glued together between the story beats, that would be no better. Ah well, I'll get to that road when I do, but it sucks to hear/read about such a large failing.

blakep267

Got FfXV the other day and I figured that I would watch this and brother hood first. I was kinda confused when it first started but then it started to make a little more sense. I liked the voice acting and character models of the 3 main leads but a lot of the other characters looked less detailed. As others have said, the second half is better and more action packed. Solid overall. I thought I would hate it going by some of the other reviews

Also it seems like a lot of info was dumped in the movie. I haven't started the game yet but this seems like it would be kinda mandatory to understand stuff

Zafir

It was poison. Same thing happened
when he shot Nyx. Can't believe nearly ALL the Kingsglaive turn traitor.a bit much.
I just don't understand their motivation. They hate the empire so much
that when Regis signs a peace treaty with the empire they defect to the empire?
Lol wut.

cj_iwakura

I just don't understand their motivation. They hate the empire so much
that when Regis signs a peace treaty with the empire they defect to the empire?
Lol wut.
Because it gives all their lands to the Empire. It's sound reasoning, just badly told. The last third of the film is a mess.
Kind of like the game, lol.

Zafir

Because it gives all their lands to the Empire. It's sound reasoning, just badly told. The last third of the film is a mess.
Kind of like the game, lol.
Eh? Their lands were either already taken or destroyed by the empire as explained in the movie? I still don't think it makes sense.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

Yeah, almost everything important happens off screen while you are dicking around finding frogs and foraging for rare tomatoes.

cj_iwakura

Eh? Their lands were either already taken or destroyed by the empire as explained in the movie? I still don't think it makes sense.
The Empire promised to give them those lands back. Doesn't make them any less stupid, but that's their story.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Saw the movie yesterday, even though I'm in the middle of FFXV. Gave some context to that game, but yeah it felt more like a giant cutscene than something with a solid narrative structure. Some nice visuals, though, and I like the subtle Taito arcade game references in there (Operation Wolf cabinet, a Darius and Elevator Action poster, in the resistance's HQ).

BTA

Watched it the other night; I'm at chapter 8 in the game.

I appreciate that this clarified some stuff for the game (how the government works, what Insomnia's citizens were like, the treaty's (RIDICULOUS AND IMPORTANT) actual conditions, some characters' relationships, etc.) but all of that could have been handled by a few more sentences in the game itself. Meanwhile, it felt like the movie was missing information from the game, given how many times Luna's "destiny" is talked about but "Oracle" and "the Six" are said 0 times.

I enjoyed it overall, I guess, but it was hard to feel interested in it when what I was expecting was to see more about characters that we know to have been in the city (Cor, Iris, etc.) and they were completely absent. Meanwhile, the Kingsglaive itself was kinda unnecessary given that
the majority of them seem to be traitors, because the King didn't seem to consider "holds a grudge against me" as an instant disqualification for being in his elite strike force
. Also,
how does Glauca make ANY sense? His motivation seems to be about the treaty but he's been in both militaries for >12 years? How do you even have the time/ability to be in 2 places at once to lead the empire's army while also being successful enough in the Lucian army to head the Kingsglaive??

Game spoiler for further than I am:
I know Nyx does actually show up in some form, but still.

Griss

I really enjoyed the movie for the outrageous CGI and special effects and remember thinking... 'Man, I can't wait for the awesome CG cutscenes in the game itself!'

Damn, was that a disappointment.

BumRush

Haven't started XV yet but I just watched the movie and I loved it. Libertus' VA and a few other mishaps aside, I actually thought it was a pretty coherent film. It isn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination but it was far more enjoyable than reviews had me believe it would be.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
What is hilarious is how come a person
can both lead the King's Elite Bodyguard and serve as a General for the Empire
with many none the wiser, including the King himself, lol.

Toth

I wager
.Drautos primarily served the Empire until he was planted as a spy in Galahad (though he may have grown up in Galalad beforehand) and joined up with the Kingsglaive when Regis formed them from the survivors of the country, Nyx being one of them. His abilities probably were so good that he easily ascended to leadership. Then he probably just continued as a mole feeding Ardyn updates on the kingdom, waiting for the right moment to spring his trap. IIRC, some of the technology he smuggled to the Empire, based on Kingsglaive magic, was used to negate Noctis' power in Gratia

There is a theory that
there used to be two characters, the Imperial general and the Kingsglaive leader, one of them being Cor's twin brother, and that they were merged into a single character when Versus XIII became XV.

Anywhere to rent this? I just see it as an $8-$10 purchase on every digital platform, and it's not in redbox. I'm halfway through FFXV, and I feel like I ought to watch this, but damn I don't want to spend $8 for this thing.

I'll just echo my thoughts on the movie that I stated in the FFXV thread, I watched a few chapters into the game when I couldn't take not knowing ANYTHING about the game's world and story. And, after watching the movie I was even more disappointment with the game itself because of how awesome the movie is. It had a main character I gave a shit about, who wasn't a whiny bastard, and had clear ideals and motivations. The story itself was simple and easy to follow with a decent cast of supporting characters and some actual good dialogue, that whole analogy about a thief between Regis and the Emperor of Nifelheim was great stuff.

Did some other writing team handle the movie? Overall, I thought it was a great piece of tie in media and really don't understand the hate for it. Now, as a stand alone "film" judged purely on its own merit it obviously doesn't work. It essentially has no conclusion and from the second act on wards is just one big action CGI cutscene. But, as a tie into FFXV it is really great. The only confusing aspect to me was the Captain also being the General of Nifelheim. When whatshisface ran him over I initially didn't understand why he was doing that. Now, it's not impossible for him to be in both roles it was just confusing especially since the General isn't setup properly.

But again, I liked it and really wish I was playing as Nyx in FFXV and not animu Noctis. That said, it is RIDICULOUS how important the movie is to understanding the base level of anything going on in FFXV. Entire character motivations come almost exclusively from the movie such as Ravus. And, Regis is entirely absent from the game except the very brief intro cutscene.

Zoe

There is a theory that
there used to be two characters, the Imperial general and the Kingsglaive leader, one of them being Cor's twin brother, and that they were merged into a single character when Versus XIII became XV.

That's way too much like FFXII.

I really liked Kingsglaive in most things from lead characters, overall design and animation, and action setpieces. Only major issue is a little bit too heavy on the action near the end where it comes off as one over-extended explosion.

Nyx, plus the Aaron Paul voice acting, seemed just right for the lead. And as some have suggested, I too ultimately liked him more than Noctis (or at least
young Noctis
).

Anywhere to rent this? I just see it as an $8-$10 purchase on every digital platform, and it's not in redbox. I'm halfway through FFXV, and I feel like I ought to watch this, but damn I don't want to spend $8 for this thing.

I know I rented it just before the Christmas holidays on Google Play for cheap with some promotion, but it seems like all rental options have been removed.

I started it but didn't finish it due to spending time with family and considered renting again, but buying it wasn't worth it to me. Instead I watched a recap on YouTube and started the game earlier this week. It seems unnecessary.

That's way too much like FFXII.

a5Tn4V5.gif

holy shit this movie is so fucking bad, jesus christ. The whole time I was watching this, I couldn't help but feel like I was watching one of those direct-to-video Bionicle movies I was into as a kid. This thing is just complete and utter nonsense. It's just scene after scene of terrible uncanny valley faces saying things that I'm not convinced any human being could've actually written. The voice acting, outside of the characters played by Sean Bean, Aaron Paul, and Lena Heady is downright abysmal. All of these characters, except for the king, completely suck. Nyx is such a boring fucking protagonist and his neckbeardy friend is maybe the most insufferable film character of 2016? How can you have a game with such a likable cast of four guys and then turn around and make a movie about these fuckers?

goddamn this thing is straight trash.

Sora_N

I got this in the mail after Christmas, I tried to watch it last week but man I had no idea what happened in the first hour so I stopped.

The lipsyncing being made for English audio bothers me too.

I'm trying this again with dubs, will see how it goes. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight.

EDIT: It was bad, very bad lol. I felt nothing for any characters, and the story is barely there. The only good thing were the nice visuals. The first half was so boring.

cj_iwakura

I got this in the mail after Christmas, I tried to watch it last week but man I had no idea what happened in the first hour so I stopped.

The lipsyncing being made for English audio bothers me too.

I'm trying this again with dubs, will see how it goes. Hopefully I'll finish it tonight.

EDIT: It was bad, very bad lol. I felt nothing for any characters, and the story is barely there. The only good thing were the nice visuals. The first half was so boring.

Funny, I like the first half more. At least it's engrossing. The second half is a hot mess once the treaty goes to hell.

Top Bottom