• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knack |OT| Playin' Knack in my Tub!

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
So can anyone explain to me while a platformer, provided by the man who build the playstation, an engineer, which looks very, very average at best and not like it's putting any stress on the system, is NOT running with 60FPS?

They used Unreal Engine for this. Since it is a small crew and they basically bought an engine I doubt they can squeeze much out of the machine.

DBT85

They used Unreal Engine for this. Since it is a small crew and they basically bought an engine I thought they can squeeze much out of the machine.

Fairly sure they said they didn't use Unreal. All the talk about it was only from the Feb reveal and I don;t even know where they got that from.

hwy_61

Banned
EDIT: I'm not trying to shit all over the game, so I'll remove my negative comment because I do see how it can be seen as poor form.

DBT85

do you have a link? Everything I have seen said they were using unreal. I could've sworn that Cerny mentioned it in an interview too

Not able to find anything other than Nirolak saying that Eurogamer, who were the first to report that Knack used UE4, were wrong. That comment was 11 days ago.

That one is not. Eurogamer was just confused.

Also, I've watched and read everything about Cerny and Knack I think, and never heard UE4 mentioned.

do you have a link? Everything I have seen said they were using unreal. I could've sworn that Cerny mentioned it in an interview too

I think Nirolak pointed out that this was a mistake from Eurogamer (?) that quickly spread the misconception.

Google brought me this link
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/18/this-is-the-experienced-team-behind-ps4s-knack

Tsuyoshi Murakami, for instance, has been in the industry for some time. He worked on the cult classic game Shenmue (as well as RPGs Ys: The Oath of Felghana and Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk), and started working with Japan Studio on the PS3-exclusive The Eye of Judgment. He’s Knack’s Technical Director and Lead Programmer, and noted during the presentation that Knack’s engine was built from scratch to show off the PlayStation 4’s architecture.

Gartooth

High hopes for this game, the footage makes it look far more like an action game for kids but I'm really holding out for a decent amount of 3D platforming ala Crash.

noobasuar

Banned
Have all of you become so desperate for a platformer that you've forgotten what one looks like?

I seriously cannot believe that people are still throwing out comparisons to Spyro or Crash. If it looked anything close to those games this OT would be 90 pages already.

Gartooth

Have all of you become so desperate for a platformer that you've forgotten what one looks like?

I seriously cannot believe that people are still throwing out comparisons to Spyro or Crash. If it looked anything close to those games this OT would be 90 pages already.

You're completely right, honestly I keep flipping on both sides of the fence on whether or not to buy this game just because the gameplay has not interested me in the slightest. At the same time I want to give it a chance, but I think it has PS+ free game written all over it so I might just wait.

Amir0x

Banned

We've seen clips from videos now showcasing platforming that is actually remarkably similar to Crash. Almost seems ripped wholesale at points, actually.

I am just wondering as to how it's balanced within the game. Will it be 80% combat, 20% platforming? Or 40% platforming and 60% combat? Etc

Bundy

Banned
ibayjELcF9iESb.gif

imp9fAH3oqdaa.gif

ibxxY2ySqM5g2Q.gif

ib0DlVQ1VcqV9g.gif

h4piSNd.gif

Loving it :)

I guess some of the similarities is less about it being designed exactly like Crash and more that it has a simple control scheme that can still bring variety, difficulty (and hopefully depth) to the gameplay. The timing is less concerened with traversal/jumping from platforms and over obstacles, and has more to do with tackling different kind of enemies. I haven't played Crash since the first one was released on psx but dealing with enemies wasn't really a big part of it? Basically a spin move and that's it afaik.

Midou

I played both Spyro and Crash as a kid and enjoyed them quite a bit but I never felt they were LEGENDARY, just great 3D platformers. I expect to enjoy this in a similar way.

Hawk269

I am late into this thread...has it been confirmed about the frame rate issues and/or what frame rate the game runs at?

I only have KillZone currently and am looking for a 2nd game for the PS4 and I have been looking at Knack because between the PS4 and my Xbox One games, it will be something completely different.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Ok, the GIF's of the various environments are starting to get me to be more optimistic about purchasing this game. Like I said before I enjoy the 3D platforming genre and want to support a game that's not dudebro shooter 4.

The scales are starting to tip. Will almost assuredly be my freebie with buy 2 get 1 now.

I actually think this game looks really beautiful, and I'm excited by the story aspect. But I guess I just really want a game with an interesting story for launch

prwxv3

The game looks so much better from the rev and ign previews. I am surprised they decided to make the game challenging. Regular enemies can wreck your health bar. I still think it should have been a 40 or 50 dollar release though.

dogstar

Banned
So Knack or LEGO Marvel Hero's for my eight year old son?... neither are my sort of games, and I don't know much about either, though I prefer the look of Knack... Anyway, I want him to have a nice game to play on the PS4 come launch day...

DBT85

The game looks so much better from the rev and ign previews. I am surprised they decided to make the game challenging. Regular enemies can wreck your health bar. I still think it should have been a 40 or 50 dollar release though.

Honestly I also surprised about the price. From the small dev team and the fact that even Cerny says it's a secondary purchase plus the clear target of being the "everyone" game, I was sure $40 was going to be the price.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
If Kinack plays anything like Crash and provides a decent challenge then I will be satisfied with this offering. Obviously, with the hype and all that I'm willing to try out most new games, hope they bring something new to the table.

jett

D-Member
Knackers gonna knack. I'm strangely interested by this game, we don't really get this sort often anymore. Hope it's good.

Jobbs

Banned
While much of the game looks good, is anyone else put off by the extremely (in my view) unappealing art design of the main character? it really looks like something designed by someone who doesn't really do art and had this awesome idea.

Jedi2016

I don't know what those people are talking about who say the game doesn't look good. The lighting alone is next-gen stuff, I've thought that since I first laid eyes on it at the PS4 reveal.

This was the first PS4 game most of us ever saw. It will always have a special place just for that. And it'll probably be the first game I actually play on the system for the same reason, even though I'll have other games I'm more "interested" in playing long-term.

Fairly sure they said they didn't use Unreal. All the talk about it was only from the Feb reveal and I don;t even know where they got that from.

People probably got confused because they weren't paying attention when Cerny was showing the Unreal Engine 4 tech just before unveiling knack.

drproton

-gifs-
Loving it :)

I'm actually more excited for my purchase of Knack then Killzone. Crazy... I know but in Cerny I trust.

Same here. I just got back from Target with both. It's been the launch game I've anticipated most since February 20, and now these gifs and the latest video look even better than I expected.

I'll probably get more hours of fun from Killzone, but Knack is going to be the first disc to defile my precious console's BD drive.

Cade

Great OT. I'm pretty excited for Knack, though I think a lot of that is Stockholm Syndrome from it being the launch bundle I had to go with. Still, exciting times.

hawk2025

Do we know anything about how the game progression works?

Are there levels you actually go into with a world map, or is it more God of War-ish?

Burbeting

Banned
I tried Knack around a week ago in a local convention. It looked passable, nothing mindblowing, but it was clear that PS3 couldn't run this. The evinronments themselves looked realy bland, tough.

From the little I tried, gameplay was pretty fun. Evading enemy attacks felt natural with the analog stick (vers. Ryse's buttonmashing dodge roll). And yeah, I got killed with 2-3 hits (have no idea what difficulty I was playing with x)).

Probably buying this along with PS4, but only because it's launch title.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fuck. This looks fun. And couch co op to boot? Damn. I don't know, it seems like Ratchet and Clank and those games burned me already.

x-Lundz-x

I am buying this because
1. I want to support Cerny.
2. It actually looks fun.

At first I was disinterested but my mind has changed.

The new GIFS of the game give me a lot of hope that this game will be pretty good.

The co-op trailer looks REALLY FUN too.

The recent store demo is just an E3 build? This latest footage looks massively improved.

/XX/

They used Unreal Engine for this. Since it is a small crew and they basically bought an engine I doubt they can squeeze much out of the machine.
There's this:

OFFICIAL CORRECTION:

Knack is not a UE title. This mistake is purely my own. (Hi, nice to meet you, my name is Tina, I'm sorry that I was incorrect. :( I will endeavor to make sure it doesn't happen again).

If you see anywhere that lists it as a UE title, know that it was probably just a mistake created in the hubub of the Sony Press Event that has trickled through E3.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=64289071

Top Bottom