• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koch Media (Deep Silver) trademarks Bloodstained, is assuredly mystery publisher

epmode

I'm concerned it becomes an end-run that prevents developers from funding themselves and retaining their own IP

Yeah, this bothers me. I back projects is to kickstart an independent developer along with a game. When they don't own the IP, it feels like there's no way off the publisher treadmill.

Doesn't this make a mockery of Kickstarter?

Let fans fund the game and then have some publisher swoop in, swipe the IP for themselves and get paid for doing virtually nothing and taking no real risk?

What the hell. Isn't the point of the publisher to fund games and take risks, not just sit back and grab what looks like a fan favourite IP after it's been funded? This is just ridiculous.

Ridley327

Let fans fund the game and then have some publisher swoop in, swipe the IP for themselves and get paid for doing virtually nothing and taking no real risk?

What the hell. Isn't the point of the publisher to fund games and take risks, not just sit back and grab what looks like a fan favourite IP after it's been funded? This is just ridiculous.

IGA was upfront on day 1 of the KS that there was already a publisher in place that was willing to throw $5 million at them, provided that they could prove that they could at least get $500k.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yeah, this bothers me. I back projects is to kickstart an independent developer along with a game. When they don't own the IP, it feels like there's no way off the publisher treadmill.

Yeah, kickstarter ain't gonna give 30-40 million to developers. Just not happening.
You can't fully fund a game like Bloodstained through kickstarter only.

who would be outraged about that

koch is a common name

We had, like, three people asking in the thread.

Rymuth

IGA was upfront on day 1 of the KS that there was already a publisher in place that was willing to throw $5 million at them, provided that they could prove that they could at least get $500k.
Perhaps IGA had no faith so he went to a publisher first?

Inafune got the better deal here. He gets to keep the IP and have a publisher take care of the dubbing/packaging costs.

epmode

Yeah, kickstarter ain't gonna give 30-40 million to developers. Just not happening.
You can't fully fund a game like Bloodstained through kickstarter only.

Bloodstained has no reason to be a $30-$40M game and I seriously doubt that's what it will cost to develop.

I'd much rather see an independent dev start off small but actually own their games instead of instantly giving up their IP rights.

Ridley327

Perhaps IGA had no faith so he went to a publisher first?

Inafune got the better deal here. He gets to keep the IP and have a publisher take care of the dubbing/packaging costs.

He was also upfront about the reluctance he got from other publishers for publishing a game like this in the first place, and given the ambitions they have have for the visuals (think along the lines of Guilty Gear Xrd), that's a tough proposition to try and get funded by entirely independent means. Assuming the budget remained the same, IGA would have had a harder time getting $5 million through KS as an asking price. Not impossible, as the success of the KS has illustrated, but very difficult.

JimmyJones

Banned
Bloodstained has no reason to be a $30-$40M game and I seriously doubt that's what it will cost to develop.

I'd much rather see an independent dev start off small but actually own their games instead of instantly giveing up their IP rights.

Hear hear.

Hubble

IGA has said several times and in a KindaFunnyGames interview with his agent, who represents him that they were surprised on how reluctant it was for any publisher to back him. They said they actually met with literally every one and all showed little interest. This worried them. After meeting with several, they chose the best deal. Also, with the KS, it practically gives them more exposure with the general public and marketing that can only increase sales.

JoshHood

I'd much rather see an independent dev start off small but actually own their games instead of instantly giving up their IP rights.
Oh good, someone else who has no idea how much games cost to develop, but likes to think they do.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Including marketing?
Yeah, that's what it'll cost.
Reminder that AA is still 20 people working for 3 years, which at a cost of 8k/month, is at least 6m in just development, without the outsourcing that'll surely happen for various things.

And honestly, i don't think it's 20 people working bloodstained, and i don't think the cost per employee is 8k/month when you start pulling up veterans and legends.

Professional work doesn't come cheap.

#17 Question: Some people have speculated about trademark and IP rights. Can you make a statement that addresses ownership of Bloodstained?
Answer: Bloodstained is MY IP. Anyone can trademark anything. IP ownership is a different thing altogether.

From tonight's AMA with Igarashi. This thread is over!

*slams proverbial book closed*

epmode

Including marketing?
Yeah, that's what it'll cost.
Reminder that AA is still 20 people working for 3 years, which at a cost of 8k/month, is at least 6m in just development, without the outsourcing that'll surely happen for various things.

Sure. ..But jumping into a game of that scale right off the bat might not be a good idea. Start smaller.

Basically, handle it like Obsidian. They wound up with roughly the same amount of money as Bloodstained will make in its crowdfunding phase. Pillars of Eternity turned out very well over 2.5 years with a smaller dev team and almost nothing spent on marketing. It sold well and proved that there's an audience so the already-confirmed POE2 will be more ambitious.

But now that I know that Iga actually owns the Bloodstained IP, I'm less concerned about their publishing deal.

Top Bottom