• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koei Tecmo announces action RPG Fate/Samurai Remnant for PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC

EDMIX

Sales of Japanese games tend to be lower on Xbox than other platforms, which is why it is skipped for some smaller releases.

But this creates a vicious cycle, as sales for Japanese games on Xbox won't grow if publishers don't put their content there.

I agree, but the games need to sell in order for it to ever make sense.

I think more then enough risk has occurred for us to get an answer to if a market can or can't exist there. From FF, to KH, to Dragon Quest to Yakuza to Persona to Monster Hunter to DMC to Resident Evil etc. If that shit isn't enough, it wasn't meant to be.

At this point what IP would even be bigger then what was listed to really get that install base over? I think it merely doesn't exist to the same extent as PS and Nintendo and titles like Fate or the FF Collection or Octopath Traveler 2 and many more will simply insure that those who choose PS and Nintendo will likely stay that course. They get majority of those titles, thus they are a safe bet.

You can only grow with a base that wants that content and i just don't think the issue is really the content not being put there, its how it performed when it was there. So you are seeing KH3 on XB, then KH4 not or Octopath 1 but not 2 as in how they did before has now caused them to simply move on. Its already a small base and they've made their homes on PS and Nintendo.

They are still trying to get PC into a lot of JRPG stuff and that is a whole beast on its own, but I digress, topic for another day.

MacReady13

The sales numbers on Xbox wouldn't be enough to pay for the porting and optimization costs, so why bother?
They have game pass. They have Samsung tvs. They should have a near domination within 5 years so why not release these games for Xbox?

EDMIX

They have game pass. They have Samsung tvs. They should have a near domination within 5 years so why not release these games for Xbox?

Maybe they don't see it making sense for them currently. So this idea that "they should have" is merely speculation, they need to go off of factually what those numbers are looking like today, not some theory of what it "should" be in the future cause didn't lots of people say that during the 360 gen? Like this idea that supporting it early and then having the install base grow would help those Japanese publishers? So having 80 plus million didn't mean that enough cared about those Japanese games.

Thus the whole "near domination within 5 years" might be irrelevant if the majority of that have no interest in certain Japanese games.

I think Sega is taking that risk and they want to see how this pans out, so its smart to have Yakuza, Persona, Judgment etc on there to see where it goes for them. Maybe they end up in a good place 5 years from now or maybe they end up like Square pulling support after a while.

It depends on how those Yakuza, Persona games do in the future outside of Gamepass. Simply playing it for free to try it can only go so far, they want to see growth of the IP on that platform and only time will tell on that, but smaller games like Fate, they are right to sit this one out and wait and see. The way digital distribution is, its worth it to sit it out big time, I mean look at Persona 3 and 4 coming to Switch and XB, look at Yakuza 1 and 2 remake, Zero, 3,4,5 etc coming to XB, it means even if they change their minds, its not like they can't port this over 5 years from now if they were wrong. If the market exist and ends up loving JRPGs or something, they won't ignore this game 5 years from now and such a deal with be worth it for both parties by then or something.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Please gentlemen, let's put aside discussions concerning Xbox and talk about waifus instead

Nya+nya+nya+_0853d739ceb6ede04cd3b3d210f5ce51.gif

EDMIX

Please gentlemen, let's put aside discussions concerning Xbox and talk about waifus instead

Nya+nya+nya+_0853d739ceb6ede04cd3b3d210f5ce51.gif

lol all I remember of this IP is Fate / Zero the Anime.....I just can't keep up with everything going on with this series so I don't got much to say on the teaser.

I'd need to see a lot more.

Ar¢tos

Games released NOW won't be selling like hot bread in 5 YEARS. They will be nearly forgotten and heavily discounted.

Top Bottom