• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koizumi on Gamecube VC: "We are working on some things along those lines."

Clov

How is Splatoon 2 a remaster?

Also, what's wrong with the GameCube Adapter?

You know, I never will understand why some people are convinced that Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port. It's silly.

More on topic, I'm taking this as confirmation that we are going to get Gamecube titles on VC. Personally I'd like to see some HD remasters of certain titles though; F-Zero GX would be pretty incredibly in HD.

Even if we got Melee HD people would be upset with any change they make, I can't see the Gamecube version going anywhere soon.
If they put gamecube VC behind a mandatory gc Joy con this is a despicable move. I hope they won't go this low. I'm afraid they will though :/
N64 games couldn't be played on Wii with the standard Wii Remote and Nunchuk, I wouldn't be surprised if we got an accessory.

They could just put in a little animation with explanatory text, that's shown every time you start an affected game.

This is not something that casual players tend to put up with well, or at least that's what Nintendo assumes. They are not above changing stuff in VC games for any reasons, so that sounds a little less messy unless they bring back remappable controls.

I'd really just like for Nintendo to NOT jump on the accessory wagon again. It was terrible on Wii. Tolerable on Wii U. Analog triggers on at least the Switch pro controller seemed like a no-brainer. Hell a few "sources" claimed analog triggers to be on Switch before the presentation last month. That was u-turned quickly afterwards.

Nairume

Banned
You know, I never will understand why some people are convinced that Splatoon 2 is an enhanced port. It's silly.
I feel like part of it is people who latched on to the initial rumors of Nintendo working on a port because it makes it easier to delegitimize one of the Switch's early big games.

More on topic, I'm taking this as confirmation that we are going to get Gamecube titles on VC. Personally I'd like to see some HD remasters of certain titles though; F-Zero GX would be pretty incredibly in HD.
Part of me hopes that Melee would either be a remaster or that a VC release could allow for joycons to work with it despite technically having less buttons than a gc controller.

Drain You

Well, I guess you have to try it to be 100% sure it works properly. From my personal experience and the way I imagine it, I don't see why it wouldn't work, though. Maybe it's not a good solution for everyone, but I think most people get used to that kind of thing after a little practice.
Nintendo can still release extra hardware with analog triggers and make the Gamecube adaptor Switch compatible for everyone who'd rather use the original control scheme; but I can't imagine Nintendo would even consider releasing Gamecube games on VC without a solution that works out of the box. The audience for VC releases is already limited as it is.

I'd be willing to give it a go if thats what their solution is. I'm a creature of habit so I'm sure it would take some practice, but yea I agree their smartest move would be to provide a solution out the box that everyone could do. I just hope they end up doing GC VC at this point, need my Mario Sunshine fix. I've started that game and a couple others on Dolphin and while its awesome, especially with improved visuals, there is just something I really enjoy about playing them on actual Nintendo hardware.

Something along those lines? Your goddamn console launches in 2 weeks and we still know jack shit about VC or anything digital related! I dont even know if my previous purchases on WiiU (I won't even ask about Wii VC) will be transferable and I need to know since Im looking to sell my WiiU!

Do it already.

Do they need to? Analogue triggers aren't as good as digital triggers in most genres. You can't press them as rapidly. Do you think the quick draw game in 1-2-Switch would be as good if you needed to squeeze an analogue vs pressing a digital trigger? One is far faster and feels better than the other.
I don't think anybody was suggesting that all 4 shoulders needed to be analog. And for that matter, even a game specifically about shooting quickly like that 1 2 Switch game could probably make interesting use of the analog, in not just showing a single time measurement for how long it took for a person to press a button, but how quickly they put it through a specific range.
Plus, most importantly, analogue triggers take up way more room than digital. Check out this side view:

No controller with analogue triggers is as thin as that. Here's a PS4 controller by comparison:
No controller has been as tiny as the Joy-Con either, but there it is. What do the internal mechanisms for analog triggers look like, versus the external part which is a matter of design?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
If we are being realistic Sunshine is the only big game really trapped on the Cube. Honestly rather just see that get a remake.

Of course VC IS still nice, and it allows us chances to play stuff like FE or F-Zero.

Of the bigger stuff there are other versions like Metroid Trilogy or the HD Zelda's I'd rather play.

Plus there are newer versions of their evergreen titles like Animal Crossing, Golf, Tennis, Kart ect... where I'm probably not gonna rush back to the Cube version.

Obviously this isn't counting 3rd parties.

Mihos

Gold Member
If we are being realistic Sunshine is the only big game really trapped on the Cube. Honestly rather just see that get a remake.

I actually was a little excited too, then I looked at my gamecube collection and really none of them I would rebuy. It would be good for people who have never played them I guess.

Branduil

I think with the way the Switch is laid out, you can have two kinds of control schemes for Gamecube games:

-1-to-1 mapping mode for games where the analog triggers don't matter.
-Full/half analog emulation mode: Use L and R as half presses, ZL and ZR as full presses. The Z button is moved to the + or RS-click buttons.

Obviously not a perfect solution but should be functional in most cases.

I think with the way the Switch is laid out, you can have two kinds of control schemes for Gamecube games:

-1-to-1 mapping mode for games where the analog triggers don't matter.
-Full/half analog emulation mode: Use L and R as half presses, ZL and ZR as full presses. The Z button is moved to the + or RS-click buttons.

Obviously not a perfect solution but should be functional in most cases.

This is what I'm expecting.

I wonder if they'd consider any sort of tilt modifier. Like hold the button for a "half press" in Super Mario Sunshine to get a medium FLUDD stream going, but tilting the system towards yourself could lessen the press and tilting away would press harder. Though I know I wouldn't find that very helpful in, say, F-Zero GX.

RK128

The Switch at launch is literary only going to offer the most basic functionality for playing games and even then, other features expected to be built-into a modern console are tied to a mobile app; expecting VC at launch is sadly a foolish expectation.

If anything, we will get NES/SNES games at launch but even then I expect those to release hit May/June.

Nintendo's been very quiet about the VC service, so either they talk about it post launch, launch it huge at E3 with GC games/Mother 3 Localization, or release it alongside the paid online service this fall with a massive line up of games.

I know a poster here mentioned a GameCube Mini but could see Nintendo rather releasing that over GameCube VC.

I'd really just like for Nintendo to NOT jump on the accessory wagon again. It was terrible on Wii. Tolerable on Wii U. Analog triggers on at least the Switch pro controller seemed like a no-brainer. Hell a few "sources" claimed analog triggers to be on Switch before the presentation last month. That was u-turned quickly afterwards.

Not really, the benefits to analog triggers are so few that there was really no point to continue using them. AFAIK, racing games benefit the most from it, but even then, they aren't worthless without them.

The Boat

I don't think people who are asking for the Pro controller to have analog triggers realize that the idea is for all the main controllers to have the same functionality so they're interchangeable in most games without adding to the controller confusion.

Peltz

I don't think people who are asking for the Pro controller to have analog triggers realize that the idea is for all the main controllers to have the same functionality so they're interchangeable.

Exactly. This will be the first time since the GCN where Nintendo doesn't require you to own more than one type of controller to play the entire library on the system (so far).

The only thing selling me a Pro at launch is that D-Pad.

Gamecube Classic Edition would be the cutest microconsole ever.

Imagining that made me all "daaw" and smile, I agree :)

As for GC VC, I would be all over it if it means I can enjoy Super Mario Sunshine and F-Zero GX on it, I wouldn't even mind using the GC adapter really.

Imagining that made me all "daaw" and smile, I agree :)

As for GC VC, I would be all over it if it means I can enjoy Super Mario Sunshine and F-Zero GX on it, I wouldn't even mind using the GC adapter really.

How would said adapter work on a Switch? would plug into the USB C on the bottom? Also, would that make it a TV Mode only thing?

Melee with HDMI.
Online matchmaking.
Dedicated servers.

I'll pay you all the monthly fees you need.

i could agree with you on all the rest aside from the Bolded

wonder if they would bother porting twin snakes ? probbly not

suffice to if they did port cube games to the VC what about Wii titles ?

and it better be on a grander scale than sonys PS2 efforts !

KAL2006

Banned

Of course VC IS still nice, and it allows us chances to play stuff like FE or F-Zero.

Of the bigger stuff there are other versions like Metroid Trilogy or the HD Zelda's I'd rather play.

Plus there are newer versions of their evergreen titles like Animal Crossing, Golf, Tennis, Kart ect... where I'm probably not gonna rush back to the Cube version.

Obviously this isn't counting 3rd parties.

You are pretty much right

Eternal Darkness
Luigi's Mansion
F Zero GX
Wave Race Blue Storm
Fire Emblem Path of Radiance

I'll add to the list

How would said adapter work on a Switch? would plug into the USB C on the bottom? Also, would that make it a TV Mode only thing?

Honestly I haven't thought of that but I couldn't imagine it would be that difficult to solve. Docked mode should be no problem and undocked would need another small adapter to fit it into USB C.

The GC adapter itself actually functions fine with just one of the USB cords connected, the second one is just to enable additional power for rumble as the Wii U runs its USB ports in a lower than normal power mode.

I get VC for old NES and SNES games, but I'm more fond of getting full switch remasters of the classic titles since then, tailored to switch controls, and forget silly hardware accessories.

Splatoon 2 / Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a good start.

If Splatoon 2 is a Splatoon remaster, Brawl is a Melee remaster.

kiuo

As for Shinya Takahashi, he explained that if Nintendo were to release GameCube-shaped Joy-Cons, they would make sure to add analog triggers. He also thinks the whole thing would be rather bulky and hideous, though!

ZFXXDJb.jpg

Top Bottom