• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Death Stranding was a financial success. Working on the next title. Sony buying MGS and PT rumor is complete bull.

Link is in Japanese.

Basically he says Death Stranding was a financial success and made it's money back and then some. They are currently working on their next project under the surface.
He was working on something big but it got canceled and not really happy about it. He says thing like this is common in the video game industry.
About the rumor Sony buying MGS and P.T. from Konami, he says it's not true or at least he hasn't heard anything about it.

Last edited:

Bergoglio

I'm on chapter 5. My god this is not a game. It's an anti-consumer product associated to a bad gaming culture; industry shouldn't follow this game. That Sam Bridges' animations feel clunky and inconsistent and only sporadically communicate the weight of making endless footsteps in the wasteland. It seems to be purposefully designed that way too, with simplistic gameplay that serves only to make walking in a straight line – which is the game’s primary gameplay mechanic – as difficult and frustrating as possible. Hideo Kojima is not a genius or anything close to that. Death Stranding is a deeply flawed experience, one of the worst "game" in years.

Last edited:

martino

Sony were well pissed with its performance. Enormous budget, 3m sales and the ever so slight problem that the game itself was a bit meh, don't believe a word of his tbh.

We need what Kojima do in this media. (Even if i don't like at all what it is)
3m seems enough for what death stranding is (a very divisible game taking risks)
Also be glad we have sony to push those kind of games with bigger budget

Last edited:

ZehDon

I can't translate the original source, but I presume the game breaking even and making a profit is enough for it be considered a success - which makes sense. Considering his MGS titles pushed closer to 6m global sales each, this must be a disappointment for Sony who likely expecting something in that ballpark. Perhaps he'll deliver a less... avant garde experience for his next title.

Last edited:

ksdixon

That doesn't rule out Japan Studio working on "Silent Hill", as opposed to buying SH or PT properties. Nor does it rule out Bluepoint Games doing an MGS Remake.

Here's hoping. People have to "deconfirm" using very choice language, so keep the announcements a surprise, if the rumors are true.

MHubert

I'm on chapter 5. My god this is not a game. It's an anti-consumer product associated to a bad gaming culture; industry shouldn't follow this game. That Sam Bridges' animations feel clunky and inconsistent and only sporadically communicate the weight of making endless footsteps in the wasteland. It seems to be purposefully designed that way too, with simplistic gameplay that serves only to make walking in a straight line – which is the game’s primary gameplay mechanic – as difficult and frustrating as possible. Hideo Kojima is not a genius or anything close to that. Death Stranding is a deeply flawed experience, one of the worst "game" in years.
I actually really like the game but it sure isn't for everyone. It fills me with a sense of adventure I haven't felt in a long time in a videogame, although I like hiking and making outdoor trips in real life (and I love maximizing my logistics) so that might have something to do with it. No matter what though, this is unlike any experience I have ever played.
I'm on chapter 6 btw.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
Sony being pissed is not a substantiated verified rumor. They didn't brag about the sales either much which means that it's not a smash-dunk hit.

However I'm happy it did well, it's a weird, creative sometimes a bit too much title which I nevertheless enjoyed to completion and I look forward to more Kojima, maybe with bit more shackles.

DonJorginho

Banned
Death Stranding was an amazing experience, as an actual game it was flawed for sure but I still adored my time with it and I still go back to it even after 160+ hours.

I can't wait for Kojima's next title, just hoping he puts more care into the gameplay side of his next project than he did Death Stranding.

Sony were well pissed with its performance. Enormous budget, 3m sales and the ever so slight problem that the game itself was a bit meh, don't believe a word of his tbh.
Pretty much. The game is lucky if it broke even on the dev side. Bet it still made a loss With the marketing.

Nankatsu

Gold Member

So Sony is about to get into Konami shoes?

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

I'd rather have devs like him shake things up a bit than have the industry wallow in complete stagnation.

What's that? Another team based multiplayer hero shooter? oh? another roguelike rpg with a card battle system? Gotta ride those trends, boys.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nice to see the game already is profitable. I'd make it shorter, but I think it's very good and I always love to see devs having more freedom to do whatever they want and under better working conditions as Konami had (has?) with their Japanese studios.

Let's hope he can show his next game soon.

Pizdetz

Banned
I don't think I would play this "game" for free. The fact it sold 3m and the fact that there are people who love it just goes to show you that people's tastes are quite different. I strongly suspect that if this game was not made by Kojima and it was published my Microsoft, it would get trashed across the board. To me this look like a classic case of "the emperor has no clothes", as with many things in the world right now.

I don't think I would play this "game" for free. The fact it sold 3m and the fact that there are people who love it just goes to show you that people's tastes are quite different. I strongly suspect that if this game was not made by Kojima and it was published my Microsoft, it would get trashed across the board. To me this look like a classic case of "the emperor has no clothes", as with many things in the world right now.
This is a silly opinion and stems from typical anti-kojima rhetoric.

The game was good, accept the facts.

-YFC-

Well that's wrong bro. I don't like it because I think it's a fed ex simulator with no action and interesting engaging mechanics. I expected a bit more from Kojima. But, I'm glad that it exists. People have different tastes and we don't all like the same games. So those 3 mil people got the game they enjoy.

Dodkrake

Banned
Probably my favorite game of all time, definitely top 3. Happy it made it's money back. I completely understand that the game is not for everybody, but some of the criticism is simply ridiculous and completely unwarranted.

And here is one. Didn't play the game, but goes ahead and says it would be trashed if it was an Xbox game.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Death Stranding was an amazing experience, as an actual game it was flawed for sure but I still adored my time with it and I still go back to it even after 160+ hours.

I can't wait for Kojima's next title, just hoping he puts more care into the gameplay side of his next project than he did Death Stranding.

I'll actually re-buy next month on PC, really want to play it again without deleting my original save file + better graphics than default PS4. Put 80+ h before, I fully intend on going 150+ this time around and only complete the game once I have everything done.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Sometimes you gotta read what you write before you hit reply.

Bryank75

Banned
Totally disagree...I think it was one of the best games of last year. I'd also like to know how it's 'anti-consumer', is this a word you don't fully understand or something?

Hideo Kojima is a genius, he's proved that time and time again. There is a reason Konami's games business fell apart when he left and there is also a huge catalog of his award winning games that have revolutionized storytelling and gameplay time and time again.

If you personally don't like the game that is fine, it was a difficult game for some to appreciate but since you don't seem to mention any of the other game mechanics... i doubt you got far enough to have a true representation.

a76PPoDo_700w_0.jpg

Game reviewed well, received numerous awards and sold well for a niche audience of 3M+. The game also shipped on time and filled the later half of the year slot. No development hell B.S. From Sony's pov, that's a win.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Absolutely loved Death Stranding, but just as many have mentioned, it's not for everyone. But that doesn't mean it's a bad or flawed product by any means. For me it was probably one of the more memorable gaming experiences I've had in a while, honestly.

I figured it would've been a financial success, but it's nice to have confirmation. Looking forward to seeing what's next, and I hope it's even better.

Aidah

Very unique and interesting game. Masterful in a lot of ways. Surprised at how well executed and realized it was too. I'll be playing it again on PC soon.

The game made me only more interested in what else him and his team will make. I absolutely love the non-typical when it's very well realized and executed like this. That has much more potential to be something truly special and memorable than the typical generic game number ten thousand with a small twist that the vast majority make.

Last edited:

This is hilarious considering it more than likely is the GotY 2019.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
hell yeah

Death Stranding is an incredible game. i really can't wait to see what he has next.

hah we have some salty folk in here calling it a "game" in scare quotes. get over yourselves. not every game needs to have you shooting people nonstop. it's a video game, and it was successful, face it. YOU ARE WRONG. try opening your small minds for once lol
simplistic gameplay that serves only to make walking in a straight line
hah are you serious? i don't think you actually are playing this game.

Last edited:

Terenty

So, there weren't any talks between Konami and Kojipro to have another go at Silent Hills? Why would Kojima lie about it, its not like he signed NDA or smth

Last edited:
Eh, this is bad news if true. DS was the most irritating game I've played in a LONG time and I really don't want another game like it. I really want an MGS game on PS5. I hope someone gets to make one.

Top Bottom