• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima: Death Stranding was a financial success. Working on the next title. Sony buying MGS and PT rumor is complete bull.

Kerotan

Profit already is good. It will sell more on PS4 obviously but then there's the launches on PC and PS5. It will make good money in the end.

Ozrimandias

Totally disagree...I think it was one of the best games of last year. I'd also like to know how it's 'anti-consumer', is this a word you don't fully understand or something?

Hideo Kojima is a genius, he's proved that time and time again. There is a reason Konami's games business fell apart when he left and there is also a huge catalog of his award winning games that have revolutionized storytelling and gameplay time and time again.

If you personally don't like the game that is fine, it was a difficult game for some to appreciate but since you don't seem to mention any of the other game mechanics... i doubt you got far enough to have a true representation.

The game is a unique proposal, for me it is one of the best games of this generation without a doubt and probably the title with the best graphics in the entire playstation catalog.
Now, it has the typical unique errors in Kojima, an overcomplex plot, terminology oriented to make that more complex to understand, presumptuous, completely irrelevant information, ridiculous and unclear names, author's game thought of being an interactive Hollywood movie of very high duration.
I give it the merit that he created a very interesting new mechanics. Kojima is an excellent developer (if he put aside his ego and would not have made me see the credits 3 times). The guy creates great experiences, but at a high price. Price Konami paid when Kojima destroyed his budget.

Kagero

I'm on chapter 5. My god this is not a game. It's an anti-consumer product associated to a bad gaming culture; industry shouldn't follow this game. That Sam Bridges' animations feel clunky and inconsistent and only sporadically communicate the weight of making endless footsteps in the wasteland. It seems to be purposefully designed that way too, with simplistic gameplay that serves only to make walking in a straight line – which is the game’s primary gameplay mechanic – as difficult and frustrating as possible. Hideo Kojima is not a genius or anything close to that. Death Stranding is a deeply flawed experience, one of the worst "game" in years.
You just don't get it. Plus your penis is small.

DelireMan7

The discussion going on here are funny (for some it's the best game and for other it's complete trash) . I am curious to try the game.

Was pretty hyped on first trailers but then there was too much noise, marketing, hot takes around it and it completely kills the hype for me.
But I still want to try it and I am almost blind on it (except for the first cinematic trailers).
I am a bit scared about all "walking simulator" stuff but I don't know if they are legit or not. But I like weird/mind blowing stories and unique experience so...

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I am a bit scared about all "walking simulator" stuff but I don't know if they are legit or not. But I like weird/mind blowing stories and unique experience so...
the "walking simulator" stuff is not legit. at all. when people talk about real walking simulators, they are games where you just read things or listen to tapes and watch a story. the walking is just pushing from one piece of content to the next. walking itself requires no gameplay at all. here, the "walking" (which includes climbing, scaling, repelling, sneaking, stealth combat, driving, shooting, etc. but ofc the "walking simulators" complainers conveniently ignore all that) IS the gameplay. and since this is Kojima, he has packed in dozens of gameplay systems and things to fiddle around with, making your experience entirely customizable.

if you like weird and mindblowing stories i highly recommend this. it's like being inside a 70's science fiction movie. it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Stalker. some Logan's Run thrown in there too.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

the "walking simulator" stuff is not legit. at all. when people talk about real walking simulators, they are games where you just read things or listen to tapes and watch a story. the walking is just pushing from one piece of content to the next. walking itself requires no gameplay at all. here, the "walking" (which includes climbing, scaling, repelling, sneaking, driving, shooting, etc. but ofc the "walking simulators" complainers conveniently ignore all that) IS the gameplay. and since this is Kojima, he has packed in dozens of gameplay systems and things to fiddle around with, making your experience entirely customizable.

if you like weird and mindblowing stories i highly recommend this. it's like being inside a 70's science fiction movie. it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Stalker.

Thanks for the quick "breakdown" of the walking simulator part :)

For the story, I am pretty sure I will love it from what I saw from the trailers. And usually settings/story are the most important factor for me to like a game. So the chance that I like the game are quite high.

MiguelItUp

Honestly I really hope Silent Hills sees the light of day same team and everything. While I just want more GOOD Silent Hill, I still can't help but desire a Silent Hill title from that team. It sounded too good to be true then, and it still does. But my want for it will never fade, haha.

Eanox

Good for Kojima and I hope he learns a valuable lesson on his last game and use that to his next game.
It’s possible that game he is talking about is for Stadia. I remember him hyping Stadia but Stadia failed.
Could also be the horror game he is working on. I think I remember him tweeting about horror stuff before and he is watching a lot of horror films to get ready for his next game.

YukiOnna

Not sure why people think he'd lie about his title being profitable. You can think what you want about him, but it's a professional with a job, lol. Being profitable =/= being the next GTA. I imagine it did just as they wanted for a new IP, as well.

Anyways, a shame a big project fell apart, but at least he seems to know it happens. Seems unrelated to the next title he's going to work on.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
his rabid fans would buy anything so it's meaningless. he could take a shit in each and every case (no disc included) and people would go crazy for it.

Droxcy

I enjoyed Death Stranding I didn’t finish it due to other games coming out, I’m going to rebuy it on PC and enjoy it how it was supposed to be played.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I just never could bring myself to get through it. I dropped off the President and did like one more mission and just couldn't stomach it anymore. I thought I would get back to it during this quarantine, but honestly I just been playing a lot of games with my friends who recently got PC's. Valorant is boring as hell to watch but really fun with me and my bunch of misfits

Terce

I find it very interesting how polarizing this game is, there really seems to be no in-between group when it comes to their experience with it. You either love it and Kojima is a genius, or you hate it and it's anti-consumer trash. Given how popular both sides seem to be, I think you can call the general product a success purely based on that. No other individual game in recent memory has created console-fanboy levels of rabid argument to this extent.

And let's be complete honest with ourselves, the people who had a decent experience, or went in expecting to be blown away but instead had an okay time, are not the ones posting here and are not the ones going out and yelling about what they think. They play the game, either liked it or didn't, and moved on to the next one. Everyone here had already made up their mind before the game even shipped

Terenty

I find it very interesting how polarizing this game is, there really seems to be no in-between group when it comes to their experience with it. You either love it and Kojima is a genius, or you hate it and it's anti-consumer trash. Given how popular both sides seem to be, I think you can call the general product a success purely based on that. No other individual game in recent memory has created console-fanboy levels of rabid argument to this extent.
A curious thing that i noticed is people who liked the game are the ones who actually played the game from start to finish. The ones who shit on it most often than not either didn't play it at all or played less then 10 hours and shelved it without giving it a chance.

There is a lot of people on DS reddit that start their thread with "i didn't like the reviews when it came out and only now decided to try it out and it turned out to be a good game" etc.

Because lets be honest, there's nothing in the game that deserves to be hated to the extent it was on release with review bombing on metacritics etc. It is perfectly functional, polished with a sound game design. If someone says its a walking simulator its a dead give away the person hasn't played it past the prologue.

Last edited:

jakinov

Sony were well pissed with its performance. Enormous budget, 3m sales and the ever so slight problem that the game itself was a bit meh, don't believe a word of his tbh.
How big of a budget could the game have been?

- It has actors/ancestresses but not AAA actor/actresses that are really going to hurt the wallet.
- It's developed in Japan (overworked and paid like shit)
- It's developed by a small studio
- Not needing to license or create an engine probably saved them a bunch of money
- It has an average 4 year development cycle

Also, i don't know how pissed they would/should be. The game was started years back before PlayStation exclusives were selling extremely well (somewhat consistently). They probably started with expectations closer to 3 million than 10. MGS games on more platforms don't even sell as well has the most recently Playstation-only games.

Dodkrake

Banned
his rabid fans would buy anything so it's meaningless. he could take a shit in each and every case (no disc included) and people would go crazy for it.

Funny comment. I played MGS3 and didn't like any of the others. DS is my favorite game. Am I a rabid fan? Or I am someone that enjoys the game?

Just trying to understand

Omali

I'm on chapter 5. My god this is not a game. It's an anti-consumer product associated to a bad gaming culture; industry shouldn't follow this game. That Sam Bridges' animations feel clunky and inconsistent and only sporadically communicate the weight of making endless footsteps in the wasteland. It seems to be purposefully designed that way too, with simplistic gameplay that serves only to make walking in a straight line – which is the game’s primary gameplay mechanic – as difficult and frustrating as possible. Hideo Kojima is not a genius or anything close to that. Death Stranding is a deeply flawed experience, one of the worst "game" in years.

"Anti-consumer"

Try not to use words you don't understand.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It was surely a unique game, an ok one.

Strangely enough it was more like mgs5 instead of being like previous mgs games, interesting gameplay with trashy story.

Maybe the next game is gonna have both good story and gameplay.
And for the love of god, no more hollywood actors who only raise the budget and kojima ego...

Shmunter

Bad gaming culture? I though bad gaming culture is all about racism, sexism and bullying? How does death stranding fit into that?

Also I don’t agree with the above definition of gaming culture, but what’s the other one?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"bad gaming culture" is hella ironic considering the entire game is about players helping one another out.

"anti-consumer", im having a real hard time with that as well. how so? there are no micro transactions. no season passes. no always online requirement. what could this possibly refer to?

just seems like he's throwing a bunch of buzzwords at something he doesn't like.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
The game is a unique proposal, for me it is one of the best games of this generation without a doubt and probably the title with the best graphics in the entire playstation catalog.
Now, it has the typical unique errors in Kojima, an overcomplex plot, terminology oriented to make that more complex to understand, presumptuous, completely irrelevant information, ridiculous and unclear names, author's game thought of being an interactive Hollywood movie of very high duration.
I give it the merit that he created a very interesting new mechanics. Kojima is an excellent developer (if he put aside his ego and would not have made me see the credits 3 times). The guy creates great experiences, but at a high price. Price Konami paid when Kojima destroyed his budget.
I agree and many people will look at the over-complicated plot and ridiculous names and all of that as big problems but I expected it and enjoy the quirkiness...
I can accept that people don't like it though, opinions are welcome as long as they are genuine.

Arkam

Sony were well pissed with its performance. Enormous budget, 3m sales and the ever so slight problem that the game itself was a bit meh, don't believe a word of his tbh.

Any citation for that claim? Genuinly curious. This was the first article I have seen that states whether it made money or was a flop. And per this.... it made money. So Sony made at the opportunity cost?

98.400.jpg

Would you say no to this man?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

And of course we should believe you over Kojima because?......

How big of a budget could the game have been?

- It has actors/ancestresses but not AAA actor/actresses that are really going to hurt the wallet.
- It's developed in Japan (overworked and paid like shit)
- It's developed by a small studio
- Not needing to license or create an engine probably saved them a bunch of money
- It has an average 4 year development cycle

Also, i don't know how pissed they would/should be. The game was started years back before PlayStation exclusives were selling extremely well (somewhat consistently). They probably started with expectations closer to 3 million than 10. MGS games on more platforms don't even sell as well has the most recently Playstation-only games.
It'll get released on PC and have really long legs I'd bet.

treemk

Banned
the "walking simulator" stuff is not legit. at all. when people talk about real walking simulators, they are games where you just read things or listen to tapes and watch a story. the walking is just pushing from one piece of content to the next. walking itself requires no gameplay at all. here, the "walking" (which includes climbing, scaling, repelling, sneaking, stealth combat, driving, shooting, etc. but ofc the "walking simulators" complainers conveniently ignore all that) IS the gameplay. and since this is Kojima, he has packed in dozens of gameplay systems and things to fiddle around with, making your experience entirely customizable.

if you like weird and mindblowing stories i highly recommend this. it's like being inside a 70's science fiction movie. it's like 2001: A Space Odyssey meets Stalker. some Logan's Run thrown in there too.

You could argue that it's a walking simulator that takes walking simulators to the next level, it's not a bad thing. It also has all that other stuff you mentioned, because it's really a mailman simulator in a post apocalyptic world. That also has top tier graphics, a great story, and a great sense of progression. So there is a lot of walking, but just as much other stuff too. The reality is a lot of players and critics tried to bring this game down because of who made it and who published it. The same people will accept or ignore when indie games branch out, but somehow with DS that shouldn't have happened. Well for those people there's plenty (almost endless) games that repeat the same formulas. For the people who actually liked DS, it was a breath of fresh air in an industry that is growing stale.

This is why game publishers don't allow for risk. People complain about the Ubisoft open world formula but when you veer from that people tend not to like it. I love the game, but I can understand why its not for everyone. But even if you don't like it you gotta respect the attempt to step out of the formula and try something unique with the medium.

y0vR7j0.jpg

Top Bottom