• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima On Metal Gear Survive: “I don’t think zombies would appear in such a world"

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
So you're saying that those are not zombies?! What the fuck are they?
mgsv-phantom-pain-skulls-boss-fight.jpg

Tovarisc

You're reinforcing my point.

So if you give enemy all possible and even cliche traits of your normal zombie, but don't use naughty Z word in your world then they don't count as zombies?

edit: I saw clickers / infected in TLOU and instantly thought "oh, zombies...", same with MGSV and Skulls.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is like the ultimate Kojima thing, where in his head his nonsensical definitions for his universe and lore and narrative all make sense and run on some abstract internal logic that nobody on the outside can fully understand or find coherency in nor is he able to explain it himself.

MGS was always a parody of western action movies from the 80s like Escape from New York and Predator...the series is Kojima trolling the west for their exploitative narratives and lack of self awareness. It's always been a joke....MGS2's narrative is the most obvious example of this.

He's fully aware that there have been zombies and other insane stuff in his games..he's taking the piss. Please, people, get a grip.

Tovarisc

MGS was always a parody of western action movies from the 80s like Escape from New York and Predator...the series is Kojima trolling the west for their exploitative narratives and lack of self awareness. It's always been a joke....MGS2's narrative is the most obvious example of this.

He's fully aware that there have been zombies and other insane stuff in his games..he's taking the piss. Please, people, get a grip.

I think him taking the piss came very obvious to even most dedicates fans of his when MGSV came out.

SigSig

I don't get the reaction here.
The MGS universe is Kojima's brainchild, so of course he has all rights to disagree with whatever somebody else comes up with. Even if it was super cool and well-thought-out.
Which this isn't, it's literally "we need a sequel/spinoff but ain't nobody got time to think about continuity and shit, let's just open up an alternate dimension and slap zombies on it, gamers love zombies right?"

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Lol at this comment from the man who's known for putting random, nonsensical, fantastical characters in his games.

Whompa02

So if you give enemy all possible and even cliche traits of your normal zombie, but don't use naughty Z word in your world then they don't count as zombies?

edit: I saw clickers / infected in TLOU and instantly thought "oh, zombies...", same with MGSV and Skulls.

"like a zombie" yes. Is a zombie? No.

Vamp is like a vampire. Is he a vampire in the traditional sense? No.

This conversation is silly lol. Kojima making us debate semantics.

Like 90% of de facto 'zombie' media doesn't call them zombies in universe.

It's not really arguing semantics if you're just plain wrong.

Night of the Living Dead (1968) never calls its undead "zombies". It does call them "ghouls" in a newscast. According to The Other Wiki, George Romero never thought of them as zombies, despite the movie becoming the Trope Maker for the modern Zombie Apocalypse. It was made at a time when 'zombie' still referred to someone under the spell of a voodoo priest. Although there may have been some passing references to reanimated corpses as zombies in earlier films, it wasn't a general term for them yet.

Edit: If anything MGSV's zombies are closer to pre-living dead zombies.

Tovarisc

Nah. Zombie is zombie no matter what fancy name you give it and use words like "parasite / nanites". Just putting old good fashioned zombie tropes into new tin can. Same with Vamp imo. Too much your generic traits of X in them not to be just that in its core.

There is nothing wrong with doing zombies, vampires and even ghosts in your entertainment media, but please don't pretend like you have created some new never before seen concept of enemy or threat.

I now await "zombie Quiet" to become a thing.

Well she somewhat is, isn't she? Better off than Skulls tho.

Neiteio

I'm playing MGS2 right now, and I just beat a mad bomber on rollerskates after accidentally shooting a vampire in the head -- the shot was meant for a magical black woman with a railgun, but she magically redirected my bullet. This is after the severed hand of Snake's brother takes over the mind of a Russian gunslinger, of course.

karasu

If Kojima were adding zombies to Metal Gear they would be interesting in some way. There would be something funky about them. With Konami, it just looks generic.

He probably means zombies in the traditional sense, as characters in Metal Gear games aren't generally supernatural, more like enhanced soldiers from experiments or nano tech.

Still, I can't say that zombies feel out of place in the Metal Geat universe though.

Henkka

Banned
I guess he means he's okay with zombie-like things if there's some technobabble biological weapon behind it, but he's not okay with the living dead

I guess

But there's ghosts in MGS so whatever.

Anung

Un Rama
He probably means zombies in the traditional sense, as characters in Metal Gear games aren't generally supernatural, more like enhanced soldiers from experiments or nano tech.

Still, I can't say that zombies feel out of place in the Metal Geat universe though.

But the sorrow was a medium who interacted with real ghosts? Powers Ocelot exhibits by being possessed by Liquids hand. Also Vulcan Raven. MGS4 is when Kojima got a hard on for science explanations and started retconning stuff (like Vamp)

I don't get the reaction here.
The MGS universe is Kojima's brainchild, so of course he has all rights to disagree with whatever somebody else comes up with. Even if it was super cool and well-thought-out.
Which this isn't, it's literally "we need a sequel/spinoff but ain't nobody got time to think about continuity and shit, let's just open up an alternate dimension and slap zombies on it, gamers love zombies right?"

Pretty much. Not to mention that everyone started comparing zombies to the supernatural which did appear in his games all on their own. I also don't get the comparison between zombies and Skulls? Aesthetically, sure. I can see that. But beyond their appearance? Not so much. Unless I'm misinterpreting the term "zombie," the only zombie-like beings in Phantom Pain were the puppet soldiers. Even then, their purpose in the game is to be wallpaper for the Skulls fights, at most cause a distraction, and pad out the Side Ops variety a bit. Kojima didn't take those Side Ops and make an entire standalone game out of them, of which the type of game makes its way onto Steam Early Access via the Greenlight program on a seemingly daily basis.

Ratrat

I'm being largely facetious, but besides Ground Zeroes, I don't think that's been the main focus of the game since 3 maybe.
Except it totally is. Especially Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes. They were never Zombie hoard mode with a nameless cast in any case.

Top Bottom