• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima reveals Ludens figures.

Fjordson

I don't get why the context around a figure matters lol. I buy a figure because it looks good. That main nendoroid one looks cool (imo).

Cn7pOlWXgAAaDAP.jpg

I'm known for buying figures for stupid reasons, but buying a figure for a logo of a company that only has a concept trailer out currently seem... strange to say the least.

If the figure looks cool and you like Kojima's work, then what's so strange about it?

I don't buy figurines at all, so maybe I'm missing something here? I would think a logo figure would actually have a lot more symbolic value than just some random object or character from the actual video game.

Trying to burn a franchise before the first game is even out?

Wake me up when Kojima actually ships another game.

I'm known for buying figures for stupid reasons, but buying a figure for a logo of a company that only has a concept trailer out currently seem... strange to say the least.

This is toys for a mascot to a company that doesn't even have a product yet?

They're making figures before they actually release a game?

so many shit posts

bunkitz

They all look great, but I really love the Nendoroid ones! It's neat that they come with other colours, but I'll stick with the regular one. Hoping to pick up the 1/12 scale one when I can. Looks really cool with the flag.

W.S.

Isn't Ludens the Norman Reedus character?

Anyway they all look pretty sweet, nice to see some original Kojima/Shinkawa merchandising on whatever this is supposed to be.

DevilFox

Yes because the actual game development team is producing the merchandise right?.... 0_o You do understand that you would outsource this kind of thing right?

Also if you already have the design, there is absolutely no work left in having a t-shirt/cup made, I could slap a picture of my ass on a mug and shirt right now and have it delivered by the weekend without making a dent in my daily productivity.

Thanks for stating the obvious. I was pointing out the oddity of delivering and marketing the merchandise before (way, way before) the actual product.
It gets even more strange when you think this is the merchandise for the studio itself, not the game (as far as we know).
It just wouldn't work with anyone else outside, perhaps, Kamiya and Gabe Newell.

Zafir

Thanks for stating the obvious. I was pointing out the oddity of delivering and marketing the merchandise before (way, way before) the actual product.
It gets even more strange when you think this is the merchandise for the studio itself, not the game (as far as we know).
It just wouldn't work with anyone else outside, perhaps, Kamiya and Gabe Newell.

Well I thought it was for the game? Though that previous "studio" fan pack wasn't.

But I'm in total agreement, it's taking advantage of Kojima's name and popularity. If a lot of other companies had done this they'd have been laughed out of the door.

Resilient

well..what does it matter?
i think they look cool so i'm gonna buy one. don't see how it's a bad thing. people like stuff? they buy it.

whether the game comes out or not, i don't give a shit. i want the toy. you shouldn't care either.

DevilFox

well..what does it matter?
i think they look cool so i'm gonna buy one. don't see how it's a bad thing. people like stuff? they buy it.

whether the game comes out or not, i don't give a shit. i want the toy. you shouldn't care either.

To not care, always the easy way out. :)
Personally, I don't buy figures because they look nice but because they represent something I like: Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, Dart from Legend of Dragoon, some MGS characters, Sam from Vanquish etc. I proudly keep all of them on my shelf.
This one tells me nothing and I'm ready to bet no one would care if this wasn't Kojima's. He's basically making a revenue out of his fame and I don't like it.
That being said I don't want to annoy anyone with my comments, you're free to do what you want. I'm just sharing my opinion.

People buy artbooks because they like the artist's work. If you're a fan of Shinkawa's art, and you think this figure looks cool - there's nothing wrong with buying it.

spats

I really hope the bigger Nendoroid one won't be too expensive, I like it a lot. Loved seeing Shinkawa's sketches on the character in the SDCC Kojima talk.

Also:

4BNA6X2.gif

To not care, always the easy way out. :)
Personally, I don't buy figures because they look nice but because they represent something I like: Selvaria from Valkyria Chronicles, Dart from Legend of Dragoon, some MGS characters, Sam from Vanquish etc. I proudly keep all of them on my shelf.
This one tells me nothing and I'm ready to bet no one would care if this wasn't Kojima's. He's basically making a revenue out of his fame and I don't like it.
That being said I don't want to annoy anyone with my comments, you're free to do what you want. I'm just sharing my opinion.

You really can't see the symbolic value in owning these figures? They're a representation of enjoying the works created by Kojima Productions. A person who owns one likely appreciates their talent and have high respect for them as artists. I think that says a lot more than just putting a video game character on a shelf.

This is toys for a mascot to a company that doesn't even have a product yet?

this toy is their products, from what I understand, managing independent studio is not easy, every studio have their own way to generate their revenue, some studio like Platinum do cheap licensed games in between their 'big' games, other rely on kickstarter money, Kojipro choose to make toys and merchandises. also, toys don't have to be in a media first to exist. isn't transformers series also started as a toy line first, the cartoon comes later to promote the toys.

You really can't see the symbolic value in owning these figures? They're a representation of enjoying the works created by Kojima Productions. A person who owns one likely appreciates their talent and have high respect for them as artists. I think that says a lot more than just putting a video game character on a shelf.

yeah, the symbolic value of these Luden toys are basically 'Fuck Konami', I can see some people buying this for that reason alone, lol

duckroll

Has any other game developer started tie-ups to sell merchandising for their company logo and mascot branding before even having gameplay footage for a single game? Kojima sure is special in that regard! Whatever makes him happy I guess... beats Kickstarter imo!

spwolf

It is Kojima.

He delivered a ton of actual products that people like.

Name of the company is not important at all.

artsi

People buy paintings without context related to another product,
People buy statues without context related to another product,
People buy all kinds of decorative items without context related to another product,

etc. etc.

Why wouldn't people buy cool toys that just happen to be designed by a video game artist?

spwolf

People buy paintings without context related to another product,
People buy statues without context related to another product,
People buy all kinds of decorative items without context related to another product,

etc. etc.

Why wouldn't people buy cool toys that just happen to be designed by a video game artist?

it is more like people buying paintings because they are sold in certain galery and not because of the artist who made them.

artsi

it is more like people buying paintings because they are sold in certain galery and not because of the artist who made them.

Both Kojima and Shinkawa have plenty of people following them personally, though.

I have several Shinkawa art books myself.
But my point is, does the context matter if it's cool enough to stand on your shelf / desk? If you like the people behind it that's also cool.

spwolf

Both Kojima and Shinkawa have plenty of people following them personally, though.

I have several Shinkawa art books myself.
But my point is, does the context matter if it's cool enough to stand on your shelf / desk? If you like the people behind it that's also cool.

i agree with you, so i dont understand why Kojima's new game company would have to sell a game first when Kojima made a ton of popular games.

It is Kojima (and Shinkawa) that are selling the company and these figures, not some upcoming new game.

Coreda

Has any other game developer started tie-ups to sell merchandising for their company logo and mascot branding before even having gameplay footage for a single game? Kojima sure is special in that regard! Whatever makes him happy I guess... beats Kickstarter imo!

Is attachment to a playable character a prerequisite for selling a figurine?

I see the figures as representing the company's independence and in buying them showing support for a team they appreciate. If a consumer wants them for that reason, or just the appearance alone then I don't see the big deal. It's no different from any other product.

duckroll

Is attachment to a playable character a prerequisite for selling a figurine?

I see the figures as representing the company's independence and in buying them showing support for a team they appreciate. If a consumer wants them for that reason, or just the appearance alone then I don't see the big deal. It's no different from any other product.

It's just unusual, so I was wondering if any company has done it before. Sure as hell can't remember seeing this before.

Thabass

I guess so. Honestly given his output for his last three games he needs to prove himself IMO. There may have been reasons for the flaws in MGS5, but PW and 4 are all on him. Obviously his game will sell on his name alone but personally I need to see what Death Stranding actually is. As it stands we have an interesting concept shown to us and no real solid detail other than the gameplay type will change after a while, which honestly sounds pretty dreadful.

What the hell are you talking about? Peace Walker was one of his best Metal Gear games....

I'll give you 4 though. That was just pandering.

Top Bottom