• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima Station Officially Suspended/Konami Apologizes For Concerns

Im calling it now (well kinda been calling it) that they have Kojima locked up in a dungeon somewhere forcing him to work on the game and finish it.

Has any local journalists tried to reach out to him? At least I want a paparazzi pic of him bolting from building to car or vise versa.

Here's the thing, and I know that this isn't what most people want to hear, but I think it's what's going to be the case.

If you buy Metal Gear Solid V, you send the message to Konami that it's ok to do this. You might think you're honouring Kojipro's hard work by buying their last game - but Konami will interpret it as tacit agreement with how they handled this situation and that they were right to basically publically sack Kojima and his team towards the end of development because it didn't have any negative consequences on the sales of MGSV.

Yeah, I rarely buy used anymore, but this kind of news makes me almost prefer to support GameStop than Konami.

Like many posters on here, Kojima thought he WAS Konami, and started making demands. Konamani wanted to show him who is boss.

Actually I wonder what happen also.....

Well, if that's true...I mean look what Konami did to all their other franchises. He wouldn't be wrong.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
originalmpu6f.jpg

Dunkley

I hope at some point, maybe in Kojima's biography, we find out exactly what went wrong there.

I really have a hard time accepting that this is actually happening. I hoped for the longest time it wad just rumors.

Haunted

They aren't going to get bad sales for MGS5, that just is an impossibility. What we need is bad sales for MGS6. Kojima isn't going to be un-sacked, that ship has sailed. Konami needs to get burned by making sure as many people as possible, especially the ignorant masses, understand ahead of time that MGS6 will suck really bad. And this means letting people know how important Kojima is, no matter how hard Konami tried to erase him.
MGS6 is years away. There's a dozen factors that will play into its sales performance (good or bad), most of them not related to this whole business at all. That's going to be buried and forgotten by then.

What's going to be important for this incident right now is how the public reacts towards the release these decisons are affecting. Buying MGSV now and "punishing" Konami by boycotting MGS6 in 2017 for firing Kojima and treating him like this in early 2015 is like praising a dog immediately after it ate some poop, then chastising it for eating that poop a month later.

It doesn't send the message you intend it to.

edit: seeing how Kojima was this public face and voice recognised and largely liked by gamers while Konami is this faceless shit company that has mistreated their talent and franchises in the past, on a steady decline for the last years... it's easy to conjure up a scenario where Konami is the "bad guy" in this apparent internal power struggle. But as long as we don't know the details, it's worth remembering that there are a number of different hypothetical scenarios that shift the blame to any one of the parties involved (or all of them).

What's Konamii trying to hide? I mean... the truth is eventually going to come out.

They are not trying to hide from Neogaf, or any other group of informed customers. They are trying to hide from the semi-casual gamers who don't follow the news and just buy the MGS franchise because it is famous, not knowing that a change will soon occur.

edit: and I'm posting this from the pov that Konami was the "bad guy" in this apparent internal power struggle. As long as we don't know the details, we could think up a number of hypothetical scenarios that paint different pictures of the actors involved.
If Kojima was the "bad guy", he would not have been silenced. Plain and simple.

Sn4ke_911

Has any local journalists tried to reach out to him? At least I want a paparazzi pic of him bolting from building to car or vise versa.

Nobody seems to be able to talk to him. Not even Akio Otsuka (the voice of Snake) who's been a very good friend of Kojima for many many years now.

Neiteio

This is all just an elaborate ruse before Kojima reveals he is a native-born U.S. citizen and announces his 2016 bid for the presidency.

Loakum

Banned
This is either a monumental clusterfuck of bad PR, or this is a legendary troll by the Troll Master. Right now, I don't know which way is which.

Ghazi

As already told to you in multiple threads, I believe you are really looking too much into this.

Yeah, totally honest mistake, haha.
I don't blame you, I would've easily made the same one. It was just really funny, especially since I thought the first tweeted correct

Mumford

I don't understand the "this is a troll" comments whatsoever. Pretending to do this benefits literally no one; it just makes Konami look like a terrible company. This is happening, and it sucks. I really hope that MGSV makes it out the door unscathed.

Begaria

Did I miss a hundred million dollar flop metal gear movie?

Did Kojima almost ruin Konami?

Seriously after MGSV I'm done with these people.

Sakaguchi may have had it coming to him after the flop that is Spirits Within, but I was more alluding to how similar the treating of Kojima is to how Sakaguchi's outing was. Both were big names in their respective long running Japanese companies, both created these super huge and very successful franchises, and both have (apparently) done something to piss off the big wigs enough to get thrown under the bus.

Fury451

Banned
Here's the thing, and I know that this isn't what most people want to hear, but I think it's what's going to be the case.

If you buy Metal Gear Solid V, you send the message to Konami that it's ok to do this. You might think you're honouring Kojipro's hard work by buying their last game - but Konami will interpret it as tacit agreement with how they handled this situation and that they were right to basically publically sack Kojima and his team towards the end of development because it didn't have any negative consequences on the sales of MGSV.

This is a really good point, and part of why I'm leaning more towards not getting it the more news that comes out. I don't have it preordered, so of anything, I may wait for a price drop or just buy it used (which I don't usually do anymore, especially for the IP's I enjoy or want to support).

The whole idea of "vote with your wallet" really epitomizes this situation, and to know that the whole team at Kojipro wouldn't really benefit from the support of the game, and that removing identifiers of all of their hard work from the material and boxes is acceptable, isn't the message I in particular care to send.

i read companies but i automatically translate it into shareholder greed

Untill we know the reason for the departure, we can only guess. There are still quite a bit a valid scenarios possibles that would explain this whole mess.

Including some stupid change in management policies because of finances. ( but that wouldn't make sense after all the money spend already in so many of kojima projects )

Sn4ke_911

I will miss this show.

So many great and funny memories.

03_559aed1ddebd8e059cagbbi.gif

cttmzdq7byex.gif

ianljkvg1x8u.gif

iqljnrg2ujdo2u3yj5.gif

2014-11-2821_48_30-01k1s52.png

Kojima-Station-34-MGSV-Bionic-Arm-Replica.jpg

Kojima-Station-Chicken-Cap.jpg

Kojima-Station-MGS3-Tamari-Emotional-Gauge.jpg

One thought for people saying they want to punish Konami by not buying MGSV:

It would be safe to assume that Kojima owns a considerable amount of shares in the company, right? So hurting Konami's bottom line would also mean hurting Kojima's. Unless he sells/sold all his shares.

BadWolf

MGS6 is years away. There's a dozen factors that will play into its sales performance (good or bad), most of them not related to this whole business at all. That's going to be buried and forgotten by then.

What's going to be important for this incident right now is how the public reacts towards the release these decisons are affecting. Buying MGSV now and "punishing" Konami by boycotting MGS6 in 2017 for firing Kojima and treating him like this in early 2015 is like praising a dog immediately after it ate some poop, then chastising it for eating that poop a month later.

An MGS6 reveal without Kojima will be so awkward.

Fury451

Banned
One thought for people saying they want to punish Konami by not buying MGSV:

It would be safe to assume that Kojima owns a considerable amount of shares in the company, right? So hurting Konami's bottom line would also mean hurting Kojima's. Unless he sells/sold all his shares.

Possibly, but not buying V isn't going to really hurt them due to their other interests and investments so he'd be fine in that case.

Besides: "It's not about money. It's about...sending...a message."

This would show them that their treatment towards Kojima and his team has not gone unnoticed, and would identify that people won't just accept any product because it's Metal Gear on the box. If people actually don't buy it that is.

It's gonna be weird if MGSV is at E3 without Kojima presenting it (or if he's absent from other promotional events before the game's release).

Possibly, but not buying V isn't going to really hurt them due to their other interests and investments so he'd be fine in that case.

Besides: "It's not about money. It's about...sending...a message."

This would show them that their treatment towards Kojima and his team has not gone unnoticed, and would identify that people won't just accept any product because it's Metal Gear on the box. If people actually don't buy it that is.

He poured a lot of work into MGS5, I think a better message would be not to buy future Metal Gear installments(after V). You just know they're going to milk this IP dry.

Top Bottom