• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami brings Otomedius Deluxe (360) to U.S.

KuroNeeko

bon said:
This is the type of thing I pray for before bed. Day 1.

1zy7qtf.jpg

To be fair, I haven't played this game but I've heard mixed reviews about it. Seems like it was a decent deal at the time but now with the rush of Cave shooters out there - you're probably better off picking those up unless you're a die-hard shmup fan.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Gotta admit seeing what became of the Vic Viper makes me feel like Konami has stomped a massive hole in my heart and soul.

They really are the worst company this generation.
kneejerk much?

Tain said:
Are you offended that Deathsmiles is $50? I mean, the game isn't very good, but is it supposed to be cheap because it's a shooter or something?

Please tell me "the game isn't very good" is referring to Otomedius and not Deathsmiles, the latter being one of this gen's greatest shooters in my humble opinion.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
adversesolutions said:
Please tell me "the game isn't very good" is referring to Otomedius and not Deathsmiles, the latter being one of this gen's greatest shooters in my humble opinion.
Having bought a 360 solely because of DeathSmiles I'll have to agree.

Dizzy-4U said:
I'm guessing they won't be bringing over the arcade stick, right?

Doubt it. The arcade stick went for over $300 and all it had was a touch screen on the side. Hardly worth the price.

Still, glad to see this heads over. I'd pick it up. Could use a fun, casual shoot em' up. Does this include any co-op or Live co-op play?

mollipen

robot said:
finally! but that price needs to go dooowntown.

Can I just say that I love your avatar? It's probably like years old but this is the first time I've noticed it.

I'm also sad to hear that this game might not be good. I've been meaning to pick up the Parodius collection for PSP, maybe I should just do that instead of going for this.

Nice for those shmup fans without Japanese 360s. It's a decent game, but anyone who is expecting something akin to the Cave stuff that has been released in the US or is region free will be very disappointed. It's kinda a modern Parodius only not quite as good. Still enjoyable if you like your shmups though :)

Tain

Definitely. Deathsmiles is great.

icecream

Public Health Threat
The only way that price would be remotely justifiable is if they included all of the DLC on the disc as well. And without so much as a press release yet, I wonder if we'll ever know.

Deathsmiles has the right idea. DLC, new game, low price = a hit with the niche audience.

danmaku

surly said:
Why don't they just put games like this on XBLA? They're only a few hundred MB each and they could sell them worldwide then.

Why do I have to read this bullshit every time a shmup is released on disc?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
danmaku said:
I guess because people don't value Shmups as much as other people. I'm actually relieved that it's a disc based release.

I'll cop but for $60 I don't know if I can pull the trigger.

Konami needs to come with the stick/game combo and retail it for $120 and the game for $30. $60 is a bit much for what Otomedius has to offer. Not enough content in the game to justify the price. But without further info I can't quite call it yet.

Ramune

This game has a special place in my heart (or is it because Yoshizaki Mine did the artwork?), since it's the game that got me to finally get a Xbox360 (JP no less), and the self published Cave games only made that decision better. Even got the touch panel joystick. So when it hits my home turf, I'm so there! I'm guessing they're probably re-dub the game too, if it's taking till Sept. as there isn't a real whole lot to translate and I doubt they'll leave the Japanese voices in for some reason.

Azure Phoenix said:
Do Konami have a history of region locking their games? At the very least I hope it works with Japanese consoles ala. Aksys games.

Konami's releases have, for the most part, been pretty random as far as region compatibility goes. Games like Rumble Roses and Silent Hill were playable on J360s while Winning Eleven, Karaoke Revolution and Konami Classics compilations weren't. Hard to say at this point, but they'd be pretty crazy to leave out the J360s on this one.

As a Parodius fan, I am obligated to play this game, despite some of the negative things some are saying here. However, I don't have a 360... so I'll probably buy it one day when it's really cheap and play it on other people's 360s. :lol

Are they bundling the DLC with it?

Otomedius is OK, but it's nowhere near the level of Gradius V.
Or IV, III, II or I for that matter.

Still, it's nice to have a shooter that isn't bullet hell.

I'm torn, one the one hand, i really enjoyed this game, on the other, $60 for this is ass rape...

That said, i frequently make poor purchasing decisions

I'll buy this when it comes out even if it's not that good. I bitch and moan when any console shmup doesn't come here, so I feel obligated to support even the mediocre ones. Then again, no one really seemed to like Trigger Heart Exelica, but I actually enjoyed it.

mollipen

danmaku said:

Because digital distribution is exactly how games like this should be coming out over here. Far lower cost, far less risk, less of a fight for shelf space.

JEKKI said:
Deluxe!!!

hansei nante shinai

dare mo shitenai

nai! nai!

nee nandomo koishiyou

hanasaku yo

kondo koso

hey!

furui HITO ni bye-bye-bye

oiwai MOODO de

wah ha ha!

mou soro-soro sotsugyou shite

kono sai ne

CHARA demo in ja nai

dan dan! da da da dan! para para para!

dan dan! da da da dan! para para para!
I have this song on a cd. What is it???

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
shidoshi said:
Because digital distribution is exactly how games like this should be coming out over here. Far lower cost, far less risk, less of a fight for shelf space.
Screw that, I want my game disc packed in with useless junk that scares people.

$60 is just to nail the fanboys/pervert crowd.. it'll drop to the bargain bin soon after

hey, at least something out there wants to screw them

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to see more 360 shooters come over. Hesitant on jumping on this one at $60 given the mixed reviews, but that's just a tentative price so hopefully it's a bit lower.

j^aws

surly said:
Why don't they just put games like this on XBLA? They're only a few hundred MB each and they could sell them worldwide then.
danmaku said:

The "bullshit" aspect is the region locking, not whether it's released on disc or not. This is the 21st fucking century, an era of globalisation, and consumers still have to deal with this shit. Maybe it'll get a PAL-Land release, maybe not, maybe nobody gives a damn outside of their preferred regions, but consumers shouldn't need to buy multiple consoles to play games in Europe and Australia, if they already posses fully functioning hardware.

Ramune said:
Konami's releases have, for the most part, been pretty random as far as region compatibility goes. Games like Rumble Roses and Silent Hill were playable on J360s while Winning Eleven, Karaoke Revolution and Konami Classics compilations weren't. Hard to say at this point, but they'd be pretty crazy to leave out the J360s on this one.
Well at least they don't lock everything, that does leave a gimmer of hope. These shooters will never get released in Europe so if they can at least be played on a NTSC-J system, that means you could have access to every shooter on one system, localised or not.

It seems odd that this hasn't been announced for Europe though, Konami used to release the Parodius games here and not in America.

shidoshi said:

I don't think it's possible to bring this game out on XBLA. The game size is about 6GB, bigger than what XBLA allows. Don't think it's filled with filler data since the game uses DVD-9 and that's pretty big already. The game probably wouldn't sell as well as it would on Games on Demand either since some people may have limited storage space.

JEKKI

Str0ngStyle said:
I have this song on a cd. What is it???
lol.

it's a konami song called Deluxe.

just like how this is a konami game called Deluxe.

except one is a song and the other is a game.

there's also a burrito called deluxe, but it doesnt come from konami.

Gameboy415

I had a chance to buy this game WITH the ridiculous $300-touch-pad-havin'-arcade stick for a measly 15,000yen (~$150) last summer in Japan but I decided to use my money to pay my bills on time and when I went back for it after payday it was long gone. *sigh*

Enk

makes good threads.
That price is a little too high especially considering you can find a ton of other (and possibly far better) SHMUPS on the market for much, much less. Still... I might end up being part of the problem since I like Parodius and have been eyeing this for a while.

just a reminder, this is supposed to come out next week!

i would make an |OT| but i spent all my creepy girl shootan powers making the Deathsmiles one

though, amazon isn't listing it just gamestop :/

JEKKI

Deluxe!!

for real tho I been watching Initial D lately and it'd be tight if they put a Hachi Roku as a bonus ship

shoplifter

You know it's going to be well supported when it's not even present on Konami's website.

That and apparently, it's *not* Gorgeous, but Excellent.

shoplifter

I'm calling that there's no way this comes out next week. No image on Gamestop's page for it, no presence on Konami USA's website, and the game isn't even out in Japan yet.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I would be shocked if this comes out next week given how little we know. I am going to wager this game will have a bunch of different dates before we get it a la Raiden Fighters Collection.

.la1n

_dementia said:
excellent is a sequel to OtoG

Correct answer is correct. Also, like others said this isn't a 60 US DOLLARS PURCHASE but it isn't horrible. I will purchase when used copies pop up on amazon cheap, until then you are better off getting death smiles or one of the two region free import cave games in the meantime. I'm a shmup whore so i'm sure i'll give sooner than later but sixty bucks really is asking way to much sorry.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
I want this, but charging US$ 60 for it sounds batshit insane. I'll probably end up waiting for the XBLA version of Otomedius.

Jiguryo said:
I want this, but charging US$ 60 for it sounds batshit insane. I'll probably end up waiting for the XBLA version of Otomedius.

When did they announce an XBLA version? The original came out to be 6GB in size.

Top Bottom